Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Solberg

Liked 633 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Loeb changed that, win or bin it doesn't work anymore.
    That's too easy.

Maybe win or bin never worked, just at one time when the money and regs flowed free there were more manufacturers than viable driver choices at a time when rallies were won by minutes over longer routes of unknown stages, not tenths of seconds as today over sprints learnt by heart from a video whilst only one manufacturer is taking it equally serious. Mosley, a 'promoter', macro-economics and geopolitics can take more blame than Loeb, if he deserves it anyway.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    I think it's mostly down to the fact that in the 2000's cars got more stronger and less mechanical/technical issues occurred. Now also steady drivers got a chance although Loeb was fast and reliable - a freak of nature really.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Liked 331 Times in 107 Posts
    the main problem with oliver is that he is not fast and had all these accidents while struggling to be in top 6

he is very young of course but that does not mean anything... Wilsons son also started very young and never managed to become anything more than a laughing stock... one of the advantages of oliver is that the sport is literally dead so he could have future chances.

4. Likes: AnttiL (7th October 2022),Eli (7th October 2022),steve.mandzij (7th October 2022)
    Liked 2,849 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Without his massive failure in Finland he would still been at Huyndai. That´s my personal thought.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,137 Times in 610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Without his massive failure in Finland he would still been at Huyndai. That´s my personal thought.
    without his father he would have never been in hyundai. He doesn't belong in a team that is trying to win a championship, and the fact that hyundai put him in a 3th car shows they don't even care about the title.

7. Likes: AnttiL (8th October 2022),Portimao (8th October 2022),steve.mandzij (8th October 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    without his father he would have never been in hyundai. He doesn't belong in a team that is trying to win a championship, and the fact that hyundai put him in a 3th car shows they don't even care about the title.
    But now they maybe do care?

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But now they maybe do care?
    Is sure hope so. If they don't start taking this serious they might as well quit. No point in spending all those millions to make a car faster only to hire a driver who can't even get a podium.
    Put him in a 4th car if you want to develop him, but you can't claim to be a serious contender for a title and put someone like him in the 3th car.

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    I definitely agree. Finland was just tip of the iceberg for Solberg. People also tend to forgot how unbeliveable slow he is in those rallies where he doesn’t crash right away.

11. Likes: WRC1 (9th October 2022)
    Liked 2,849 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Slow? I wouldn´t say that. Give me examples.
    I can see some of you guys happy over Oliver being lifted out. It´s because you´ve been after him since the very beginning. Jealousy, enviousness, I don´t know.

But spare your expressions of how bad driver he is. Because he is one of the best of the youngsters, no matter.
    He´s not Kalle. Such drivers comes one in a century at most.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Because he is one of the best of the youngsters, no matter.
    and on what data do you base that claim? His single win in liepaja 2 years ago?

look beyond his name, look at the results. There is nothing there that would indicates he should have been promoted to a factory team trying to win the title.
    Someone like mikkelsen is clearly a step above solberg and drivers like ostberg, suninen, huttunen, bulcacia, rossel, lefebvre or even gryazin are just as good.

This has nothing to do with jealousy, this is called being objective. If you want to contend a championship you need to hire the best drivers available. And solberg is not the best driver available, so he only is there because of his daddy.

14. Likes: steve.mandzij (9th October 2022),WRC1 (9th October 2022)