Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

So after taking a loooong fifteen minute read to skim through this thread, I think we all agree that Bottas is a great racer and that he should continue racing in F1. We all would love to see him racing at Williams F1 next season. After employing a long string of mediocre drivers, I am sure that Williams F1 will be more than happy to take him back. Bottas, on the other hand, will enjoy having a unique opportunity to lift this formerly great team up from the ashes where it has been for more than a decade. And so, this way everybody wins! Peace.
    Last edited by zako85; 6th August 2019 at 09:30.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Mercedes may also be talking to Ricciado for all we know.
    Unlikely I’d say as they were talking last amd Ricciardo wanted too much money. Ricciardo will stay at Renault until then end of next season as per his contract. 2021 is really when the musical chairs will start as almost every driver is out of contract then.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Unlikely I’d say as they were talking last amd Ricciardo wanted too much money. Ricciardo will stay at Renault until then end of next season as per his contract. 2021 is really when the musical chairs will start as almost every driver is out of contract then.
    After the poor Renault car that has turned out to be an embarrassment for Ricciado, l am sure he would bend over backwards to get out of that Renault.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th August 2019 at 14:29.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Apparently Woolf say he does not want to burn Russell. It would appear he thinks the calibre of drivers moving up from F2 are not good enough for the sharp end of the grid. I recall Hamilton stepped up from F2 to immediately challenge for the championship in his first year at Mclaren and won it in his second year of entering F1.

I understand there is much at stake to risk putting a rookie into a car at the sharp end of the grid. Gasly is a proof in point. But Nando is doing a great job at Mclaren, l think Russell would do an equivalent or even better job than Ocon or Bottas. How well he does, comes down also to how well the team manages his transition into the team. I don't buy the burn out excuse. He has either shown enough to show he is capable or not.

At least one complete season in F1 should be enough to prepare a driver for the seat in the senior team. If they have not shown the readiness to step up, then it is understandable that they are given time to mature. They should be given a limit of two seasons to show readiness or dropped if they are below expectation.

I think it is demoralizing to not have a clear plan of progressing for junior drivers. It killed Wehrlein's F1 career and has placed Ocon in a difficult situation. Placing a F2 champion in a car at the rear of the grid is worst way to show appreciation of the talent. Imagine if Hamilton had started in back marker car. We probably may not have seen his true capability, if he had ended up like Wehrlien and left the formula.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th August 2019 at 17:10.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Nobody is entitled to a driver. There's only so many seats to fill, and there's many factors involved when selecting a driver. It's the driver's responsibility to manage their career given the circumstances.

As far as Bottas goes, an accumulation of little things have added up to prove costly. Even when I compare the points to previous seasons. A couple of races ago, he had enough points to be 1st/2nd in previous seasons. But now would be 3rd in most of the 14-18 season to this points, and not be in the lead in any of the.

When it's clear he's looked deep down to improve his performance. But now has to look even deeper and think about race situations even more.

So latest I’ve heard is that Bottas will be retained by Mercedes for 2020. Ocon will replace Hulkenberg at Renault and Hulkenberg will got to Haas instead of Grosjean.

So latest I’ve heard is that Bottas will be retained by Mercedes for 2020. Ocon will replace Hulkenberg at Renault and Hulkenberg will got to Haas instead of Grosjean.
    I think Bottas would need to retain 2nd in the drivers championship to hang on to his drive. If Verstapenn pips him to 2nd place, chances are the pressure to jettison Bottas would mount. If this were to transpire, l wonder who would take his seat. In such a circumstances, Ocon may not go to Renault. If he did, l wonder if Mercedes would be forced to promote Russell.
    William Shakespeare

Breaking News: Bottas is retained by Mercedes-AMG for 2020.

Shock - not!

Breaking News: Bottas is retained by Mercedes-AMG for 2020.

Shock - not!
    Wow, that is good for Bottas and l am sure Hamilton. His first half of the season was a enough to convince the team to keep him it seems. I hope he gets the boost to hang on to his 2nd place in the drivers championship or even challenge for the title.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th August 2019 at 00:22.
    William Shakespeare

Spa was a good race for Bottas. He is 22 points clear of Verstapenn. He just need to keep his head down and put out great performance such this one. Go Valterie!
    William Shakespeare