Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Safety car.

Though Lewis overall is the better driver, that sums up how he made his move at this race. Bottas pitted first, and the undercut was working. He was putting a bigger gap on Lewis in his out laps. Lewis had the time advantage of pitting under the safety car, the easy laps on the new tires due to the safety car that let him run the tires even deeper, and the advantage that everyone had cool tires on the restart.

The fast lap was brilliant considering the tire age. But it's been confirmed that Bottas had the disadvantage of the battery issue, as well as having made his fast lap attempt when still heavier on fuel.

So overall, I'd say if anything Bottas stepped up to the level of Hamilton this race. It's one of the few times they went wheel to wheel on track and Lewis didn't come out on top. Lewis drove his usual great race, but luck played a large part in the win IMO.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Safety car.

Though Lewis overall is the better driver, that sums up how he made his move at this race. Bottas pitted first, and the undercut was working. He was putting a bigger gap on Lewis in his out laps. Lewis had the time advantage of pitting under the safety car, the easy laps on the new tires due to the safety car that let him run the tires even deeper, and the advantage that everyone had cool tires on the restart.

The fast lap was brilliant considering the tire age. But it's been confirmed that Bottas had the disadvantage of the battery issue, as well as having made his fast lap attempt when still heavier on fuel.

So overall, I'd say if anything Bottas stepped up to the level of Hamilton this race. It's one of the few times they went wheel to wheel on track and Lewis didn't come out on top. Lewis drove his usual great race, but luck played a large part in the win IMO.
    6 laps heavier fuel, on a tire which is approximately 1.5 seconds (at least) faster than the one Hamilton was on out of the box. Not to mention one with 30 laps on it... give me 6 laps extra fuel with the fastest F1 tire any day of the week. His battery wasn’t fully charged is all the issue was, that’s not much lap time. It doesn’t account for what should have been 3-4 seconds differential pace. And the only reason Hamilton didn’t pass him was because he went easy on him as it was his teammate- a Ferrari and he’d have gotten by at Brooklands.

Hamilton’s pace was much better throughout from the start and he was able to manage his tires better. Even without the safety car he’d have won the race. Bottas wasn’t even as quick as Hamilton was on the hard tire after the safety car. He was on medium tire and lost 3 seconds to him. He couldn’t even get close enough to attempt to overtake him on the faster tire and he had plenty of time to try.

Sorry mate, you’re cuckoo if you think Bottas was anywhere near Hamilton this race. Bottas is close to Hamilton in qualifying but in race pace he is nowhere near him.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 18th July 2019 at 14:20.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Safety car.

Good point there, it is the first time that Bottas has come on top in a head to head with Hamilton. I probably would not go as far as to say he drove at the same level as Hamilton. Besides, Hamilton would have won the race without the safety car because his one stop strategy would have beaten Bottas' two stop strategy. This is mainly because, Bottas' tyre management was not as good as Hamilton's. We really never know what might have happened without the safety car. But based on Bottas' pace, there is a strong indication that Hamilton may have won without the safety car.

That said, Bottas drove a great race and a very impressive showing.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    6 laps heavier fuel, on a tire which is approximately 1.5 seconds (at least) faster than the one Hamilton was on out of the box. Not to mention one with 30 laps on it... give me 6 laps extra fuel with the fastest F1 tire any day of the week. His battery wasn’t fully charged is all the issue was, that’s not much lap time. It doesn’t account for what should have been 3-4 seconds differential pace. And the only reason Hamilton didn’t pass him was because he went easy on him as it was his teammate- a Ferrari and he’d have gotten by at Brooklands.

Hamilton’s pace was much better throughout from the start and he was able to manage his tires better. Even without the safety car he’d have won the race. Bottas wasn’t even as quick as Hamilton was on the hard tire after the safety car. He was on medium tire and lost 3 seconds to him. He couldn’t even get close enough to attempt to overtake him on the faster tire and he had plenty of time to try.

Sorry mate, you’re cuckoo if you think Bottas was anywhere near Hamilton this race. Bottas is close to Hamilton in qualifying but in race pace he is nowhere near him.

In this race, the pass was made in the pits, and retaining the pass was a strategy call. Fact. Lap time show that the only time Hamilton really made a gap of any significance was after Bottas made his final stop. And at that point, the best Bottas could do was secure the 2nd spot. He wasn't going to make up 20+ seconds in 7 laps, but pushing too hard and making a mistake could have easily put him into the grips of Leclerc, who was only about 6-7 seconds back.

You can call me cuckoo all you'd like, but your statements are based on speculation rather than facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Good point there, it is the first time that Bottas has come on top in a head to head with Hamilton. I probably would not go as far as to say he drove at the same level as Hamilton. Besides, Hamilton would have won the race without the safety car because his one stop strategy would have beaten Bottas' two stop strategy. This is mainly because, Bottas' tyre management was not as good as Hamilton's. We really never know what might have happened without the safety car. But based on Bottas' pace, there is a strong indication that Hamilton may have won without the safety car.

That said, Bottas drove a great race and a very impressive showing.
    The bolded is the only thing we know to be 100% true here, and those things we know to be facts before the safety car was deployed.

If they made the 1 stopper work without a safety car, there is a very good chance Lewis still would have won. But without that safety car advantage in the mix, it's really hard to say. Running faster laps in clean air is a different thing than catching and passing a car. And at race start, on equal tires, Bottas held the lead that he had due to the better qually.

As for the thread intent... as an objective view of the 2019 season I think Lewis is fairly well in control. Bottas has upped his game, and now Ferrari and RB have managed to at least get into the mix some. Though good fortune has at times helped his points gap, that happens with all drivers and is pure luck IMO. I've appreciated Hamilton's talent since he made it into F1. I'm just glad that here and there someone can still challenge him, and in this last race start it was Bottas. I'd like it even more if we could get 4-5 drivers fighting for the top podium step on a regular basis.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    See, the objectivity doesn't have to come from me

So this advantage Hamilton has got over Bottas with the tyres? I find this very interesting. It would be good to have more knowledge as to why this occurs?

It's interesting because it's something to focus on when discussing drivers abilities. Previously people would refer to Hamilton as being some supreme being, but wouldn't really know why Hamilton was better than Bottas/Rosberg etc. But it's possible to study this and find out a techniques or learn something about driving.

Tyres are the only thing of the car that touches the road. It's great from Hamilton because even if he worse off in track position, this knack with tyres keeps him in contention in the race. Whereas Bottas would be a bit too far behind to keep pressure on the leader.

It'll be good if we ever find out what he does?

Even though he didn't win, I thought his race in Belgium was pretty good. He was no chance to win throughout the race, yet was in a position to threaten to win at the end.