Page 189 of 227 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Loeb's website:
    "With Hyundai, my first mission will be to help them get the constructors title and support Thierry Neuville, the number 1 driver. The team's speech is clear and I'm fine with it.

I willingly accept this position number 2 or 3 and ride with less pressure, to please me, and in order to bring them points when I'm starting a rally.

This does not mean that I lost my soul as a competitor. Once the helmet on the head, I would give everything to make the best possible result, as I have always done, but the approach is different."

So he is happy to support Hyundai & Neuville, then I see no reason why he wouldn't have done the same for Citroen/Ogier.

The only reason was they wouldn't pay for a third car.
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 24th December 2018 at 17:04.
    #M-SPORTER

2. Likes: WRC1 (25th December 2018)
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    I find it difficult to believe sponsorship could not have been found for a third citroen for Loeb (share Ostberg/ Breen), especially when the amount of sponsorship is thrown at formula one back runners who only get limited coverage when they crash, power unit blows up, passed by a front runner etc.
    Did citroen just not want to run a third car in different livery or is ogier costing them that much extra as a 3rd car?

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    I find it difficult to believe sponsorship could not have been found for a third citroen for Loeb (share Ostberg/ Breen), especially when the amount of sponsorship is thrown at formula one back runners who only get limited coverage when they crash, power unit blows up, passed by a front runner etc.
    Did citroen just not want to run a third car in different livery or is ogier costing them that much extra as a 3rd car?
    It's unfathomable if this was genuinely a money issue. Collectively PSA, Total and Red Bull couldn't fund six rounds for Loeb? At the very least, what happened to the Peugeot WRX budget and RB/Total sponsorship money destined for the canned 2019 program?

5. Likes: T16 (27th December 2018)
    Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    You will see if anyone else will drive that third car. I don't think so. This Citroen ''project'' sounds like privater to me not Works team.

7. Likes: WRC1 (26th December 2018)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    It's unfathomable if this was genuinely a money issue. Collectively PSA, Total and Red Bull couldn't fund six rounds for Loeb? At the very least, what happened to the Peugeot WRX budget and RB/Total sponsorship money destined for the canned 2019 program?
    of course they could, in the end 1 extra car doesn't have that big of an impact on their budget.

they just didn't want to.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    of course they could, in the end 1 extra car doesn't have that big of an impact on their budget.

they just didn't want to.
    Ofcourse it's about allocating your money and having a budget in the first place. PSA Group, with its €3B free cash flow, could easily run 10 cars in every single WRC round if they wanted to. But that's not how you run it.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    The only reason was they wouldn't pay for a third car.[/QUOTE]

Did you know Sebastien Loeb was the highest paid employee in the PSA group? (I'm not saying for the duration of his time there, but for a certain period of time he was).

He is one of France's greatest sportsman and he will generate an unrivalled amount of publicity for any team he drives for.

When you say Citroen wouldn't pay for a third car, have you considered why? Please don't say it is financial, because it most certainly isn't. They have chosen not to run him.

Let's see what happens the first time he's leading Neuville.... I really don't think he will just roll over and let him past.

Those words on his website are all nice and fluffy, but they may not mean much at all when the flag drops.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Did you know Sebastien Loeb was the highest paid employee in the PSA group? (I'm not saying for the duration of his time there, but for a certain period of time he was).
    With Le Maestro's CV, that certainly doesn't come as a surprise. I bet Neuville is making more than most - if not all - of Hyundai's board members.

Let's see what happens the first time he's leading Neuville.... I really don't think he will just roll over and let him past.
    Unless he's asked (you just don't give orders to a 9-time champ, do you?) to do so... And that's a big ask for Penasse and Nandan to proceed with. Although I have to say, that no matter how brilliant Loeb's 2018 in WRC was, I don't think we'll see him master Neuville in a Hyundai anytime soon. I'd be more than happy to be wrong with that prediction though
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts

He is one of France's greatest sportsman and he will generate an unrivalled amount of publicity for any team he drives for.

When you say Citroen wouldn't pay for a third car, have you considered why? Please don't say it is financial, because it most certainly isn't. They have chosen not to run him.

Those words on his website are all nice and fluffy, but they may not mean much at all when the flag drops.
    When CC first mooted the Loeb-to-Hyundai idea, he said another good reason was that it wouldnt cost that much. He didnt believe he commanded a huge salary.

Also, if Citroen just chose not to run Loeb, why arent they running a third factory car with another driver ?

It's money.

Remember they have only had two cars in the last two seasons. They even struggled to pay for proper testing for some events like GB..
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 27th December 2018 at 19:35.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    When CC first mooted the Loeb-to-Hyundai idea, he said another good reason was that it wouldnt cost that much. He didnt believe he commanded a huge salary.

Also, if Citroen just chose not to run Loeb, why arent they running a third factory car with another driver ?

It's money.

Remember they have only had two cars in the last two seasons. They even struggled to pay for proper testing for some events like GB..
    a) I really can’t bring myself to take into account Colin Clarke’s guess work when it comes to salaries.

b)... and I appreciate this is my guess work, but Loeb the brand brings enough exposure to make it worthwhile for Citroen financially.

c) who on earth else would they put in a car for six events, that could, as he could, win most of them?

The problem isn’t cash, it’s that they would look stupid if he beat Ogier and took valuable points off his WDC campain.
    Remember Ogier’s noises about guest drivers and how much of a bad idea they now are, just before PSA dropped Loeb? No coincidence.
    And to be fair, I don’t blame them.
    Last edited by T16; 27th December 2018 at 20:12.