Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
Toyota won't join if they can't promote their hybrid technology; there's no point in joining if they can't.
I am not so sure that Toyota will demand hybrid regulations.
TMG (earlier TTE) has a strong passion and tradition for rally, and I know that they really would like to do a comeback in the WRC.
If it was up to TMG allone I would guess that they would happily run a non-hybrid WRC-car. But TMG has to sell its project in to Toyota HQ.
Toyota HQ needs to see a clear marketing benefit, with a good ROI.
TMGs arguments could be that if they run a non-hybrid WRC-car, they could get a lot of PR for a reasonable amount of money, because the WRC cars of today are so "cheap" to develop and run.
If Toyota HQ agrees to this they allready have an almost finished WRC-car.
If on the other hand Toyota will demand a hybrid, the project would take on a whole different approach regarding the budget strategy. This would be much more expensive, but also "worth" more if Toyota can make the hybrid technology perform in the rough enviroment of rallying.
Hmmm...
Regardless of strategy, lets hope Toyota will return to the WRC. Toyota has a lot of fans around the world that would like to se them back in to the WRC.

I actually think we actually have started surfing on a positive wave in regards to rallying. The IRC has a huge potential with factory- and semi-factory-teams in both 4WD and 2WD.
Several factories like Peugeot, Citroën, Skoda, Renault and Opel run motorsport departments who make a profit on developing and selling rallycars (this is VERY important, so ROI is not only meassured in PR value).
Volkwsagen and Hyundai in to the WRC is of cource very positive (regardless of a shootout or not), (lets hope Citroën stays). The possibility of Toyota enetring is VERY good. All this will force the covarega and promoting to be better, wich then again will create interest from more manufacturers and sponsors.