Hybrid View

Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Strange he put up Rally2+ over the existing cars whilst mentioning no new manufacturers have joined and the promotion of the sport is terrible. Rally2+ will sort that? Skoda, Citroen, VW... don't even want to do WRC2. If he wants to tackle the other restrictions of who can homologate a car, who can build a car, who can run a car, please continue talking Mr Adamo, we may find common ground.
    In the same rallysimo.it interview Adamo touches the subject of Hyundai customer racing:
    "A time when I found myself building Hyundai's Customer Racing from scratch, hiring people, managing budgets. With the first R5 I technically managed a project that had already been started and was already in an advanced state, correcting as much as possible what I thought was wrong and at the same time organizing the workshop and managing the budget dynamics here too. Meanwhile, in July 2016, the TCR project began, a rather complex moment".

When you look at the current Rally Italia Sardegna, there are 36 Rally2 cars in the entry list, including a whopping 7 by Toksport (Mikkelsen, Gryazin, Férnandez, Bulacia (x2), Ingram + Pajari) so without a doubt the customer racing is the backbone of WRC. The big question here is: why has Toyota no customer racing in WRC?

Liked 624 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergiow View Post
    In the same rallysimo.it interview Adamo touches the subject of Hyundai customer racing:
    "A time when I found myself building Hyundai's Customer Racing from scratch, hiring people, managing budgets. With the first R5 I technically managed a project that had already been started and was already in an advanced state, correcting as much as possible what I thought was wrong and at the same time organizing the workshop and managing the budget dynamics here too. Meanwhile, in July 2016, the TCR project began, a rather complex moment".

When you look at the current Rally Italia Sardegna, there are 36 Rally2 cars in the entry list, including a whopping 7 by Toksport (Mikkelsen, Gryazin, Férnandez, Bulacia (x2), Ingram + Pajari) so without a doubt the customer racing is the backbone of WRC. The big question here is: why has Toyota no customer racing in WRC?
    Toyota are the only ones using WRC exclusively to promote their brand and are pumping ridiculous money into the sport. You can see this from how many flags they hand out at rallies, how much support they give the organisers and even how highly regarded Toyoda holds WRC. That is their operation.

Edit: Just remembered Toyota are the only ones with a Rally1 customer in Toyoda's friend's son.

No denying customer racing and privateers are huge part of any motorsport these days. What's this got to do with Rally1 v Rally2/+? Only a series production manufacturer can build a Rally1 car. Only when there is a corresponding manufacturer entry can a team/customer enter a Rally1 car. Manufacturers are in a Rally2 exodus too. So mentioning WRC2 and Toksport isn't really helpful, as no WRC2 team is eligible for Rally1 builds who isn't there already. The 'who can build' point really is the same for the safe future of Rally2/3/4/5.
    Last edited by WRCStan; 29th May 2022 at 16:58.