Thread: Hyundai WRT

Hybrid View

Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    Neuville is not a world champion due his own driving mistakes. Ofcourse he has had technical problems, but a lot rallies have been lost by himself. Lets think about Ypres 2022 or 2023 Croatia

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

2. Likes: cali (19th May 2023),Eli (19th May 2023),EstWRC (19th May 2023),meh (19th May 2023),seb_sh (19th May 2023),skarderud (19th May 2023),steve.mandzij (23rd May 2023),TWRC (19th May 2023)
    Liked 1,496 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trykmann View Post
    Neuville is not a world champion due his own driving mistakes. Ofcourse he has had technical problems, but a lot rallies have been lost by himself. Lets think about Ypres 2022 or 2023 Croatia

How about Monte-Carlo & Sweden 2017 when he was leading comfortably and crashed out in both? Germany that year? Catalunya? Toyota were still fresh and that Hyundai was fast (& relatively reliable) straight out of the box and even the great Ogier only managed to win twice that year, half the times Neuville had won. I’m not saying he’s had his fair share of issues but the fact that he’s always struggled in Finland with his car tells you something and I’m sorry someone mentioned how many times he’s beaten Tänak in the same car, let’s not forget that he developed that car from scratch and Ott came during covid year, last year on equal terms he beat Neuville fair and square, even on his own back yard (due to Neuville’s mistake). Now, how many times has Neuville come close to Tänak or even Evans for that matter in Finland or Estonia? As someone earlier mentioned it, I’m sorry but yes, he doesn’t have it, does it mean he should retire? No, he’s one of the contributing factors for making the championship interesting, however IMHO Hyundai should’ve given him the boot last year, and stick with Ott instead, but that ship has sailed.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

4. Likes: AndyRAC (19th May 2023),EstWRC (19th May 2023),Jakem (19th May 2023)
    Liked 853 Times in 392 Posts

You chose 2 examples in which if he had won, nothing would have changed, since he was not in the fight for the championship (I doubt anyone will be in the fight against Kalle for long this year). Also, imagine Hyundai being mad for Ypres 2022 after causing Neuville and Tanak to retire or lose minutes for an infinite amount of gremlins for half a season
    The only serious mistakes that costed him the championships were in 2017. In 2018, the biggest blow was the defective damper his car had in Turkey, which could have been a crucial win.

6. Likes: Corcaíoch (19th May 2023),steve.mandzij (23rd May 2023)
    Liked 3,797 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    You chose 2 examples in which if he had won, nothing would have changed, since he was not in the fight for the championship (I doubt anyone will be in the fight against Kalle for long this year). Also, imagine Hyundai being mad for Ypres 2022 after causing Neuville and Tanak to retire or lose minutes for an infinite amount of gremlins for half a season
    The only serious mistakes that costed him the championships were in 2017. In 2018, the biggest blow was the defective damper his car had in Turkey, which could have been a crucial win.

2018 Turkey was indeed a technical issue, caused by mechanic not doing his job properly in service. But then in Australia, still in the title fight, he made mistake and lost his chance already on SS6.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    2018 Turkey was indeed a technical issue, caused by mechanic not doing his job properly in service. But then in Australia, still in the title fight, he made mistake and lost his chance already on SS6.
    Every driver makes mistakes during the season, even Ogier that year was off road in Portugal and Turkey (and the timecard stuff in Sardegna). The point some people are making here, is that Neuville apparently blew so many chances for the championship for driving mistakes, when only in 2017 you can pinpoint what made him lose the title - in retrospect, since the biggest mistakes were in the first 2 rallies.
    I'd say the biggest "lost championship" moment belongs to Evans in Monza 2020 while driving the best car, should he be booted as well? Don't think so.

9. Likes: Corcaíoch (19th May 2023)
    Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Yes, these were the latest ones and did not affect the championship standings.

Let's take a look at 2019 season then. The crashes in Chile and Turkey did not help at all with the competiton against Tänak.

When you are driving against champions like Ogier, then you just can't afford these kind of mistakes. Ogier made usually one mistake per season.

I like to see him in the championship and he is fast as the other best drivers. He just too often makes costly mistakes and looses valuable points.

Last edited by trykmann; 19th May 2023 at 10:30.

11. Likes: cali (19th May 2023),EstWRC (19th May 2023)
    Yes, these were the latest ones and did not affect the championship standings.

Let's take a look at 2019 season then. The crashes in Chile and Turkey did not help at all with the competiton against Tänak.

When you are driving against champions like Ogier, then you just can't afford these kind of mistakes. Ogier made usually one mistake per season.

I like to see him in the championship and he is fast as the other best drivers. He just too often makes costly mistakes and looses valuable points.

Yes, Neuville makes more mistakes than Ogier and Tanak, and that's why they're world champions. Point is: when is that Neuville was served the championship on a silver platter and blew these many great chances, such is the narrative? In 2018 and 2019 he performed a bit worse than each world champion and had a less reliable car on average. One can say 2017, even if the whole championship was sort of a comeback after the first 2 rounds.
    After that we have 2020-2021-2022-2023 in which Hyundai was sub-par and the infinite amount of technical troubles prevented even champion Tanak to be a serious challenge for the title. (2020 manufacturer title only the gods know how Hyundai won it, with the silly 3 point scoring drivers rule).
    I think Hyundai are aware of their level. I don't see why they would blame a driver for mistakes he did 6 years ago, when it's 4 seasons the car is slower and less reliable than Toyota.