View Full Version : 2023 WRC News & Rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Sulland
23rd October 2022, 17:56
We need one for next year now.

Eli
23rd October 2022, 18:01
We need one for next year now.

We could easily open it up on the 1.1.23 since it's for the new year lol.

Sulland
25th October 2022, 10:38
A bit of a Silly season in Rally right now after Tanaks bombshell.

Toyota is as far as I understand good to go, or are they?
Hyundai need at least one new driver.
Ford/MSport need more than they can afford I guess, but without at least one top driver, they will still not make any podiums.

How would you like the teams to be manned for 2023, to get a cool season to follow?

AnttiL
25th October 2022, 10:43
How would you like the teams to be manned for 2023, to get a cool season to follow?

Toyota:
Rovanperä
Evans
Ogier/Lappi
+ Katsuta

Hyundai:
Neuville
Mikkelsen
Sordo/Suninen

M-Sport:
Tänak
Breen
Huttunen/Loeb
+ Loubet, Greensmith, Fourmaux as "customers"

Jewy46
25th October 2022, 11:04
Very similar to Antti here:

Toyota:
Rovanperä
Evans
Ogier/Lappi
+ Katsuta

Hyundai:
Neuville
Mikkelsen/Paddon
Sordo/Meeke

M-Sport:
Tänak
Breen
Huttunen/Loeb
+ Loubet, Greensmith, Fourmaux as "customers" with Solberg paying for an odd Rally1 round in a Rally2 based program.

The above is wishful thinking but really really hope and think Breen will be in the mix somewhere.
As far Ott.......For the Championship's sake I hope he is at M-Sport but my head says Toyota or otherwise.

djip
25th October 2022, 11:07

Toyota :
Rovanperä
Evans
Ogier/Lappi
+ Katsuta

Hyundai
Neuville
Mikkelsen
Sordo/Paddon

M-Sport
Tanak/Loeb
Breen
Fourmaux (deserves a final chance after is "annus horibilis")
+ Loubet, Greensmith as "customers"

meh
25th October 2022, 11:13

It makes it more cristall-ball topic than News and Rumors like the title says.

Only things which we can be pretty sure (paydrivers excluded):
* Rovanperä stays in Toyota
* Neuville stays in Hyundai

Next big cornerstones:
* Where goes Tänak (obviously Tänak will not go to Hyundai)
* What Ogier decides - he has not ruled out to do full season again in the future, but my understanding/feeling is that it will not be the next one

By drivers:
* Evans - (in case Tänak goes to Toyota or Ogier decides to do full-time or order from Japan sayss Taka to the main team) can end up anywhere
* Breen - he handled "known to be complicated Neuville's Hyundai" better than "known to be easy to drive M-Sport Puma". M-Sport can not kick him away if they will not get Tänak or Evans.
* Katsuta - hard to believe to have changes here
* Sordo - depends on Hyundai politics, I guess he would like to continue like he did so far. But if he need to decide "full season or no season", what would be his answer
* Lappi - he clearly does not want to pay for his driving. Hard to believe he goes anywhere else. But, like with Evans, if Tänak or Ogier (full-time) ends up in Toyota, he may end up anywhere as well
* Suninen - he was not treated well in M-Sport and hard to believe he goes back there. Can not see any logic for him in Toyota. So if in Rally1 car, then in Hyundai.
* Loeb - he is not interested in full season. If he wants, he drives in M-Sport.
* Paddon - pointed out candidate for Hyundai. Entire life related with Hyundai but from latest rallies I would say he lacked the pace.

Solberg, Loubet, Fourmaux, Greensmith - hard to see them anywhere else than pay-drivers in M-Sport

AnttiL
25th October 2022, 11:17
It makes it more cristall-ball topic than News and Rumors like the title says.

Or more like fantasy manager. I mean I posted what I would want to see in the team lineups realistically, not what I think is going to happen :)

macebig
25th October 2022, 12:01
Think Fourmaux is as good as done for Rally 1 at least. Guess Loubet takes his place and Oliver slots in the partial Puma program (possibly with Rally 2/ERC/ rallyshows etc). Greensmith probably continues as is. If indeed Tanak goes back to Cumbria, there is a realistic chance of them releasing Breen, enabling him to return to Hyundai.

lmmjvss
25th October 2022, 12:49

HYUNDAI: Neuville, Mikkelsen, Evans (Sordo 4th car)
TOYOTA: Kalle, Lappi, Katsuta (Seb 4th car)
MSPORT: Tanak, Breen, Loubet (Loeb 3rd?/4th car)

Tho for the season to be REALLY COOL IMO we would need Kajto, Lukyanuk, Ingram and Oli Solberg.... and 3 new teams using these 2022 cars while the manufacturer teams start to use 2023 new cars in '23 hehe

denkimi
25th October 2022, 14:55

hyundai: Rovanpera - ogier - breen
Toyota: Loeb - neuville - mikkelsen
m-sport: Tanak - evans - lappi

Rallyper
25th October 2022, 15:43
OK. I´ll try:

Toyota: Kalle, Tanak, Katsuta, Lappi
Hyundai: Ogier, Neuville, Mikkelsen, Breen/Sordo
Ford: Evans, Meeke, Loubet, Solberg/Fourmaux. GG pays.

Ogier!? You say. Well, he want to show he can handle all teams cars. And Hyundai want three top drivers. So, here they are.
Ultimately I´d say there should be a 4th team in WRC...

Sulland
25th October 2022, 16:09
Tho for the season to be REALLY COOL IMO we would need Kajto, Lukyanuk, Ingram and Oli Solberg.... and 3 new teams using these 2022 cars while the manufacturer teams start to use 2023 new cars in '23 hehe

This would be a very good solution, to get more cars and crews into the top layer.
Manus can just sell last years cars to private teams, or they can out/insource a team to run last years cars.
Would create an exiting new dimension to the championship!

WRCStan
25th October 2022, 16:17
hyundai: Rovanpera - ogier - breen
Toyota: Loeb - neuville - mikkelsen
m-sport: Tanak - evans - lappi

Also reunion of Adamo as Evans' engineer.

WRC1
25th October 2022, 16:40

Toyota:
Rovanperä
Ogier
Lappi
Katsuta

Hyundai:
Neuville
Evans
Sordo/Suninen
Paddon/Mikkelsen

M-Sport
Tänak
Loubet
Greensmith
Loeb/Huttunen

AnttiL
25th October 2022, 17:29
Four cars on Hyundai is cheating ;)

seb_sh
25th October 2022, 17:57
What I would like:
Toyota: Rovanpera, Evans, Ogier/Lappi, Katsuta
Hyundai: Neuville, Mikkelsen, Sordo/Meeke/Suninen
MSport: Tanak, Breen, Loeb/Fourmaux, Loubet

What I think could actually happen:
Toyota: Rovanpera, Tanak, Ogier/Lappi, Katsuta
Hyundai: Neuville, Mikkelsen, Evans
MSport: Breen, Greensmith, Loeb/Fourmaux, Loubet

AnttiL
26th October 2022, 08:00
https://www.rallit.fi/sebastien-ogier-tyrmasi-huhut-olen-onnellinen-mies-juuri-nyt/

Ogier will not drive a full season.

Toyoda
26th October 2022, 08:24
What I would like:
Toyota: Rovanpera, Evans, Ogier/Lappi, Katsuta
Hyundai: Neuville, Mikkelsen, Sordo/Paddon
MSport: Tanak, Breen, Loeb/Suninen

Toyota: Rovanpera, Tanak, Ogier/Lappi, Katsuta
Hyundai: Neuville, Breen, Mikkelsen,
MSport: Evans, Suninen, Loeb/Fourmaux, Loubet/Greensmith

AnttiL
26th October 2022, 08:40
Hyundai: Neuville, Breen, Mikkelsen,

Strong rumors of Sordo having 8 rallies with Hyundai

bandit12
26th October 2022, 09:30
When MSport gets either Evans or Tänak, then why should they ditch Breen?

Rallyest
26th October 2022, 09:39
I really hope Petter and Wilson will get a deal for Oliver to drive a Puma next season and Malcolm takes Oliver under his wing, in ford he may not get the same performance car as like Toyota or Hyundai, but there atleast he can get the knowledge and experience without the pressure of capturing manufacturer points for the team, so it will take that pressure off him and will leave him more room for developing consistensy and speed

seb_sh
26th October 2022, 09:54
So after Tanak made his accouncement the pieces are falling into place at Hyundai. If i gathered correctly from the rumors Neuville will be joined by Mikkelsen and Sordo, the latter for 8 rallies. That presumably leaves 6 fast-ish gravel rallies open. Looks like a Suninen shaped hole to me.

Toyoda
26th October 2022, 09:57
When MSport gets either Evans or Tänak, then why should they ditch Breen?

My logic was money, Breen would be paid at Msport and I assume if they want Loeb for some rallies they would need to drop Breen for Evans. Breen has done a good job at Hyundai before and his driving style may suit Hyundai more, although that is a wild guess based on past performances.

Toyoda
26th October 2022, 09:59
So after Tanak made his accouncement the pieces are falling into place at Hyundai. If i gathered correctly from the rumors Neuville will be joined by Mikkelsen and Sordo, the latter for 8 rallies. That presumably leaves 6 fast-ish gravel rallies open. Looks like a Suninen shaped hole to me.

Makes sense, he has been fast on the last few rallies in wrc2

AnttiL
30th October 2022, 06:10
https://www.rallit.fi/hyundain-rallipomolta-paljastus-teemu-suniselle-loytyy-varmuudella-paikka/

Suninen will drive at least WRC2 with Hyundai

Danny0405
30th October 2022, 13:06
Makes sense, he has been fast on the last few rallies in wrc2

Make sense but I don’t see how a Neuville-Mikkelsen-Sordo/Suninen crew can match a Rovanpera-Evans-Ogier/Lappi crew; only very tight hope would be with Mikkelsen not doing full season a bit like in 2019 to benefit from more road position advantage. But I’m not convinced about firing Solberg to take Suninen.

The best balance for the championship would be:
Neuville-Lappi (or Evans)-Sordo/Mikkelsen vs. Rovanpera-Evans (or Lappi)-Ogier/Katsuta
(For M-Sport, it’s all about money but for sure, it would be interesting with Tanak-Breen and whatever they can as 3rd car)

Allez Andruet
2nd November 2022, 03:37
According to Finnish newspaper Iltalehti, Timo Jouhki expects Tänak to sit out WRC season 2023.

TypeR
2nd November 2022, 03:54
That guy again.. :D

Absolutely no new information.
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/70edbeb3-8b96-4cc7-9cf0-9403d0c5ea94

cali
2nd November 2022, 05:22

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/70edbeb3-8b96-4cc7-9cf0-9403d0c5ea94At that point Jouhki just is holding breath and wishing with every bone in his body that Tänak retires or takes sabbatical so he is not by any means linked to Toyota :D

This is taking now comical turns whatever the decision will be from Tänak.

I think we can expect some news in Japan, until then everything is just speculations.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Hartusvuori
2nd November 2022, 06:05

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/70edbeb3-8b96-4cc7-9cf0-9403d0c5ea94

Well, Jouhki is not Tänak's manager. But he can talk, if asked.

EstWRC
2nd November 2022, 06:09
There is only one Finnish guy who is 100% certain that Tänak goes to Toyota and that is our favorite Wuorela.

Then again, last year he was 100% sure Ott will retire

Hartusvuori
2nd November 2022, 06:11
There is only one Finnish guy who is 100% certain that Tänak goes to Toyota and that is our favorite Wuorela.

Then again, last year he was 100% sure Ott will retire

Logically Toyota is Tänak's only option right now if he continues next season. We just have to wait and see now. Next week should bring some news and the week after Japan too, if there's still something undecided.

flat_right
2nd November 2022, 06:26
I wonder if there is someone here who 100% knows what Tänak will do but just can't tell. :rolleyes:

cali
2nd November 2022, 06:29
Well, Jouhki is not Tänak's manager. But he can talk, if asked.It's like Dirtfish now recycling some old interviews and making some assumptions based on those pieces. I like how Jouhki categorically denied any possilibility of a return to a Toyota :D

It would be very funny indeed if Tänak would be announced to Toyota's driver lineup in Japan. Though saying that retirement or sabbtical is not off the table considering his issues outside of the sport.

cali
2nd November 2022, 06:31
I wonder if there is someone here who 100% knows what Tänak will do but just can't tell. :rolleyes:There surely is but I guess that circle of people at the moment is probably 2 to 5 persons max. Probable list of persons are himself, his wife, Märtin, JML and Akio.

AnttiL
2nd November 2022, 06:58
https://www.rallit.fi/jari-huttusen-ura-rallin-mm-sarjassa-vaakalaudalla-rahaa-ei-vain-ole/

Huttunen's situation looking bleak. No money, no results.

meh
2nd November 2022, 07:23
https://www.rallit.fi/jari-huttusen-ura-rallin-mm-sarjassa-vaakalaudalla-rahaa-ei-vain-ole/

Huttunen's situation looking bleak. No money, no results.

At the moment, "switching places" with Suninen seems to work better for Suninen.

Andre Oliveira
2nd November 2022, 10:23
F1-style qualifying rallies: 3 mini 'sessions'

As of 2023, international rallies will be able to rely on a new starting order determination process.
The scheme that can be adopted is based on a model very close to the one that has been used for many years in Formula 1.
The system may be based on three sessions on the same route in which competitors are eliminated depending on their performance.
Passes will be interspersed with trips to the assistance park where teams will be able to intervene and modify their vehicles.
In the model to be proposed at the next World Council of the International Federation, in the first session all those interested in the main championship will line up and the best 15 will be retained.
Among those excluded, the 16th position and following will be attributed to the holders of the best times.
In the second pass, 5 more competitors with the worst time will be excluded to determine who will be first on the road and so on.
In the last session, the matches of the remaining teams will be determined, with the fastest being the 15th to start for the event. This rule can be used in both dirt and asphalt rallies.

https://www.autosport.pt/ralis/wrc/ralis-com-qualificacao-a-moda-da-f1-3-mini-sessoes/

rp
2nd November 2022, 10:28
At the moment, "switching places" with Suninen seems to work better for Suninen.

Yes, it seems. Have to remember, that it has always been easier for Jouhki than Grönholm to collect needed money. It was much cheaper for them to rent a car from M-Sport than to continue with Hyundai and it was also the only way to get Rally1 car, because Hyundai & Toyota were not available for private drivers during this year.

Eli
2nd November 2022, 10:35

As of 2023, international rallies will be able to rely on a new starting order determination process.
The scheme that can be adopted is based on a model very close to the one that has been used for many years in Formula 1.
The system may be based on three sessions on the same route in which competitors are eliminated depending on their performance.
Passes will be interspersed with trips to the assistance park where teams will be able to intervene and modify their vehicles.
In the model to be proposed at the next World Council of the International Federation, in the first session all those interested in the main championship will line up and the best 15 will be retained.
Among those excluded, the 16th position and following will be attributed to the holders of the best times.
In the second pass, 5 more competitors with the worst time will be excluded to determine who will be first on the road and so on.
In the last session, the matches of the remaining teams will be determined, with the fastest being the 15th to start for the event. This rule can be used in both dirt and asphalt rallies.

https://www.autosport.pt/ralis/wrc/ralis-com-qualificacao-a-moda-da-f1-3-mini-sessoes/

So 10 years ago we had the qualifying stage and now again they're trying to make the WRC into F1, great thinking from the FIA yet again.

meh
2nd November 2022, 10:42
I wonder if there is someone here who 100% knows what Tänak will do but just can't tell. :rolleyes:

Yes... but only if Tänak himself is visiting this forum... and he knows himself :)

AnttiL
2nd November 2022, 10:43

does this concern WRC? The article does not mention it specifically.

PLuto
2nd November 2022, 11:14
does this concern WRC? The article does not mention it specifically.

I think it is about ERC...

lmmjvss
2nd November 2022, 12:03
Its pointless if its not live on free to air TV or Cable. If its only on the internet or behind a pay wall, it will only be watched by us, the hardcore fans. Basically no new eyeballs. The shakedown is normally open on YouTube and its only us watching it.

skarderud
2nd November 2022, 12:14
Its pointless if its not live on free to air TV or Cable. If its only on the internet or behind a pay wall, it will only be watched by us, the hardcore fans. Basically no new eyeballs. The shakedown is normally open on YouTube and its only us watching it.Yes, the promoter should produce a 1/2 hour recap to give for free to all national TV-canals, and hope some of them sends it.
That cost is easy to take back in sponsoragreements in background on the pictures.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

WRCStan
2nd November 2022, 12:54
Yes, the promoter should produce a 1/2 hour recap to give for free to all national TV-canals, and hope some of them sends it.
That cost is easy to take back in sponsoragreements in background on the pictures.

And there should be 24hr WRC channels. Ad free. In fact, they should pay you to watch it.

Jesus Christ. All this 'free' and 'hope' and 'easy'. Just how good is Norwegian TV? Tell me the last new free thing you sat and watched on TV that you'd never watched before? How often does that happen?

At least where I am TV is DEAD.

eib1
2nd November 2022, 13:02

i bet bluuford knows

lmmjvss
2nd November 2022, 13:16
And there should be 24hr WRC channels. Ad free. In fact, they should pay you to watch it.

Jesus Christ. All this 'free' and 'hope' and 'easy'. Just how good is Norwegian TV? Tell me the last new free thing you sat and watched on TV that you'd never watched before? How often does that happen?

At least where I am TV is DEAD.

Hahaa good points.
I remember discovering Downhill MountainBike racing on a cable TV channel program about sports in general when there was a 5 min part about the recovery process of one of the athletes, showing how she was getting ready for the next season! But I got that instant TV crush on the girl rider, thats why I got into MTB DH haha maybe we need more girls in WRC?? Hmmm I cheer hard for Cattie Munnings in Extreme E hahaha

AnttiL
2nd November 2022, 13:45
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/e489fd5f-aae6-4c7e-b97f-6d618ce3d014

Hyundai has already filled Tänak's seat but not with Suninen.

AndyRAC
2nd November 2022, 15:16
Hahaa good points.
I remember discovering Downhill MountainBike racing on a cable TV channel program about sports in general when there was a 5 min part about the recovery process of one of the athletes, showing how she was getting ready for the next season! But I got that instant TV crush on the girl rider, thats why I got into MTB DH haha maybe we need more girls in WRC?? Hmmm I cheer hard for Catie Munnings in Extreme E hahaha

I'm pretty sure she's friends with a Red Bull sponsored British MTB rider.....

Anyway, MTB was free to air on RBTV; and has now moved to Discovery/Eurosport from 2023.....and will likely be behind a paywall. Will be interesting to see the viewing figures.....

skarderud
2nd November 2022, 15:57

At least where I am TV is DEAD.Norwegian TV is quite good actually, they send lots of good stuff, both documentaries, humor, news and Norwegian championship in Rally.
Don't have pay TV, the 1 hour max i look at TV at the evening the free stuff is plenty.

Probably different in other countries, but if NRK get an offer to send half an hour of free WRC i suppose they actually do it. Same goes in sweden at least.

seb_sh
2nd November 2022, 20:24
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/e489fd5f-aae6-4c7e-b97f-6d618ce3d014

Hyundai has already filled Tänak's seat but not with Suninen.

Neuville, Mikkelsen, Sordo/Suninen is my prediction.

Rallyest
2nd November 2022, 20:41
Well Suninen probably will be the one sharing car with Sordo, since he is the one testing hyundais car in finland right now

Andre Oliveira
3rd November 2022, 19:52
I’m affraid will be another bad year to M-Sport. And now they can’t sell Rally2 cars like before. The car is not good enough it seems :(

Sal yet again
3rd November 2022, 20:03
Im going for Neuville and Sordo full time with Lappi and Suninen sharing the 3rd car at Hyundai

AnttiL
3rd November 2022, 20:10
Im going for Neuville and Sordo full time with Lappi and Suninen sharing the 3rd car at Hyundai

You think they will leave Lappi or Suninen home while Sordo drives Finland, Estonia, Sweden etc.

seb_sh
3rd November 2022, 20:14
You think they will leave Lappi or Suninen home while Sordo drives Finland, Estonia, Sweden etc.

Toyota will never expect that strategy. They will take them by surprise.

Sal yet again
3rd November 2022, 21:02
Neuville/Lappi and Sordo/Suninen then! Logic never seems to go hand in hand with Hyundai

Sal yet again
3rd November 2022, 21:03
Just think the Lappi move will be down to Ogier wanting more runs in 23 and just seen the Dirtfish article now!

WRCStan
3rd November 2022, 21:29
Neuville/Lappi and Sordo/Suninen then! Logic never seems to go hand in hand with Hyundai

Where is member @logic?

seb_sh
4th November 2022, 01:10
IF Hyundai really get Lappi and Breen as reported that's some strong moves to try to get a decent lineup to support Neuville. Lappi was strong this year and Breen did good work for them last year.

In any case they're on the back foot again. If Toyota get the last 3 WDC's driving for them they need all the help they can get. But let's see.

mknight
4th November 2022, 06:02
With Neuville and Lappi there might be some competition from Hyundai yes, all of Breen, Mikkelsen and Sordo are risky, each in their own way. But rotation between 2 or 3 should reduce risk.

I rank Suninen lower than all these 3 as he never really got a string of more than one decent result. So imo his chances decreased after Lappi "arrived". The comments after testing are not all that promising either. Could be that he was simply the only one available now ( and he works for Hyundai after all).

Hope there will be at least something at MSport. Part time Loeb with fulltime Greensmith and with Loubet and Solberg driving most rallies is hopefully a worst case.

RS
4th November 2022, 08:17
If Breen leaves MSport they really must go for Mikkelsen. I presume Breen wasn’t paying for his drive so neither should Mikkelsen need to.

er88
4th November 2022, 08:23
If Breen leaves MSport they really must go for Mikkelsen. I presume Breen wasn’t paying for his drive so neither should Mikkelsen need to.They don't rate Mikkelsen.

TypeR
4th November 2022, 08:35
If Breen leaves MSport they really must go for Mikkelsen. I presume Breen wasn’t paying for his drive so neither should Mikkelsen need to.
I still think that Evans can be an option too..

AnttiL
4th November 2022, 09:07
https://www.rallit.fi/m-sport-ford-yrittaa-napata-haaviinsa-yhden-ison-kalan/

here Millener said they are only targetting Loeb for 2023 and maybe again other top drivers for 2024

mknight
4th November 2022, 09:27

here Millener said they are only targetting Loeb for 2023 and maybe again other top drivers for 2024

They said previously that "top drivers" are only the likes of Rovanpera, Tanak, Ogier, Neuville and Evans.

So it is totally unclear in terms of Breen, whom they just a week ago talked about as driving next year.

That said MSports interviews/press are the least reliable there are, often they would contradict themselves completely in a span of two weeks. (ref. "Experienced driver" quotes before and after Finland and public instructions to Breen before and after Finland).

Andre Oliveira
4th November 2022, 12:51

2023 the others will have much more development.
2024…

Another cycle lost by Ford.

Rallyest
4th November 2022, 13:08
So Lappi must had known there is no more future for him in Toyota after Greece. to Think about that, they confirmed it instantly that Ogier will be doing the remaining rounds.

1988senna
4th November 2022, 14:22
1.So Lappi should be full time for joining Hyundai
2.Sordo with Breen share again
3.Tanak join Toyota for sure
4.Evans share with Ogier
then how can katsuta be the factory scorer?
Mikkelsen the biggest loser again?

er88
4th November 2022, 14:28
2023 the others will have much more development.
2024…

Another cycle lost by Ford.Yep. Narrative keeps changing though. Few months ago they'd only put the money down for a top tier driver who can win a championship, or they'll continue with the "youngsters". Now Tanak is available..., they don't have the money. Off road car being developed, Wilson saying they've got the capacity to get involved in F1. So many mixed messages.

I don't understand Ford's angle either. They put big resource into this hybrid car, Msport were helped out financially and technically by Ford more than the previous cars, so why are they content with pay drivers and poor results? Just put a few million down for Tanak for a season and let Msport focus their resources on development. Loeb has shown the car is quick, Msport just need to seriously fix reliability big time, and bring development or as you say, it's a wasted cycle of this rally1 car.

flat_right
4th November 2022, 14:34
1.So Lappi should be full time for joining Hyundaik
2.Sordo with Breen share again
3.Tanak join Toyota for sure
4.Evans share with Ogier
then how can katsuta be the factory scorer?
Mikkelsen the biggest loser again?

I can’t believe that there is a chance that Evans will share a car with Ogier. I’m sure that he has a full time seat for next year. Either it is a Toyota or maybe M-Sport. If he wouldn’t have a contract, Hyundai would have taken him instead of Lappi.

bandit12
4th November 2022, 14:48
And i'm a bit sceptical about that Tanak to Toyota thing. What do they gain with that move? They allready have their world champion, and they will get next years manu title with current line up easily...

meh
4th November 2022, 15:18
And i'm a bit sceptical about that Tanak to Toyota thing. What do they gain with that move? They allready have their world champion, and they will get next years manu title with current line up easily...

To test Latvala's mental health as a team leader

bandit12
4th November 2022, 15:24
🤣 Indeed.

dimviii
4th November 2022, 15:25

haha thats a good one!

lmmjvss
4th November 2022, 15:47
Off road car being developed, Wilson saying they've got the capacity to get involved in F1. So many mixed messages.

Ive read about the Dakar/RallyRaid Truck... But F1? Interesting. Couldnt find anything related here. What were they saying?

doubled1978
4th November 2022, 16:23
It really has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, the rumours and possibilities are all over the place.
Looking forward to seeing how it all ends up.

meh
4th November 2022, 17:18

May sound like a joke, but it's not. It would be quite epic combo if Tänak goes to Toyota:
* he did not get the driver-line-up as he wanted, Lappi already off (based on DirtFish), he got decisions from higher layers
* Ogier - the guy who got titles as his team-mate, messed with hi brain
* Tänak - another guy who got title as his team-mate, not too soft guy to communicate as well. Latvala probably can see nightmare in advance how Tänak is taking habits from Hyundai and criticizing the car or saying that Latvala is not competent team boss.
* Rovanperä - the guy who takes one by one all his "the youngest" records.

3 world champions. Something, what Latvala only dreamed and never achieved.

and this is only relationships with drivers and Latvala, it does not include relationships between them - from distance they actually seems to mach quite well.

cali
4th November 2022, 17:31
I think there's more mutual respect between JML and Ott so I'm sure it will not be as dramatic.

dimviii
4th November 2022, 18:40
I think there's more mutual respect between JML and Ott so I'm sure it will not be as dramatic.

if only Rovanpera has a full programm will be easy.

Lead
4th November 2022, 18:41
Its safe to say that if after all this "shenanigans" Mikkelsen stays without factory seat, his Rally1 career is done. And its a little bit sad, cause I really believe he deserves another/last chance to prove himself.

lmmjvss
4th November 2022, 18:46
Isnt Toyota going with Kalle, Elfyn, Katsuta....and Ogier entering a 4th car sometimes?

jonkka
4th November 2022, 19:06
It would be quite epic combo if Tänak goes to Toyota:

Only epic about it would be the final year of WRC because such line-up would kill the whole sport. Nobody but Toyota would win anything, or perhaps get anywhere near the podium even. Hyundai would quit, leaving WRC as Toyota one make series and they would quit too since competition without reasonable opposition is completely pointless.

AnttiL
4th November 2022, 19:28
Isnt Toyota going with Kalle, Elfyn, Katsuta....and Ogier entering a 4th car sometimes?

That's what I've heard. Or to be clear, when Ogier drives, he will be in the 3rd car for manufacturer points and Katsuta in the 4th car outside manufacturer points, but it's just a detail.

mknight
4th November 2022, 21:00
And Tanak doing what? Still sounds more likely to me that he will do part time Toyota with Ogier.

Also more likely Toyota dropped Lappi for him than Katsuta. But I guess it depends how many starts Ogier does.

WRCStan
4th November 2022, 22:56
And Tanak doing what? Still sounds more likely to me that he will do part time Toyota with Ogier.

Also more likely Toyota dropped Lappi for him than Katsuta. But I guess it depends how many starts Ogier does.

I think he's done for good. The timing of his announcement is a request for a cake in Japan else it could've been kept quiet.

GigiGalliNo1
5th November 2022, 00:07
Its safe to say that if after all this "shenanigans" Mikkelsen stays without factory seat, his Rally1 career is done. And its a little bit sad, cause I really believe he deserves another/last chance to prove himself.

I'd say the same with Paddon. He recently did an interview where he stated he was happy how it is now, driving a couple Rally1 events and continuing his NZ work/driving and not having to be based in Europe. It was nice to hear he's at peace with it.

er88
5th November 2022, 03:05
Its safe to say that if after all this "shenanigans" Mikkelsen stays without factory seat, his Rally1 career is done. And its a little bit sad, cause I really believe he deserves another/last chance to prove himself.I think it's also fair to say he's had ample chances. 3 (almost 4) full seasons in a 1 team championship with the most dominant car in wrc history, 2years in another championship winning & rallying win team in Hyundai. And has had a lot of support over the years from skoda even before wrc or when he's been dropped from the top class. He also has sponsorship and backing. Not many drivers get it that good.

Toyota ignored him in 2017, even when Hanninen was awful for the first half of the year and JML had been broken down slowly by Ogier in the VW years. Msport have repeatedly never been interested unless he pays, Hyundai signed him then kicked him, and now have overlooked him for a full season if rumours are to be believed. It seems team bosses and teams driver analysts just aren't keen.

Imo he's clearly good enough to be in the top class considering the drivers at Msport right now. But unfortunately we don't have enough manufacturers, and plenty of other drivers who feel they also deserve a shot/a few seasons/some support/a last chance etc etc...

mknight
5th November 2022, 06:27
Signing Mikkelsen for full season "from nowhere" seemed strange and high risk.

Who knows how Rally1 change would work for him, we have many drivers that struggle (Evans, Sordo, Breen), and some that don't (even old ones like Loeb).

Lappi hasn't shown drop in performance in Rally1, so is clearly a much safer choice and Hyundai need some "safe" drivers. (Specially since Sordo's speed dropped so much).

Part time drive in 3rd car is another question altogether and depends a lot on the driver combinations. There the question is whether Mikkelsen wants to drive for Hyundai if he gets offered only 4-5 rounds, I am not so sure. With 7+ it is likely different.

Lead
5th November 2022, 06:52
Maybe its even better for Mikkelsen to drive/get paid by Skoda without stress, advertise new car, winning rallies and settle down a little. You never know, maybe after few years Rally2 cars will be the main class in WRC :D All he has to do is tune down his ambitions and grab the opportunity when it will present himself.

Danny0405
5th November 2022, 10:11
There the question is whether Mikkelsen wants to drive for Hyundai if he gets offered only 4-5 rounds, I am not so sure. With 7+ it is likely different.

I clearly think Mikkelsen would take a 4-5 rounds offer if it has existed; he has no choice, if he doesn’t have a drive next year, it’s as good as over for him (too much time out of main class and not that young in a context with very little seats available).
But anyway, I don’t think Hyundai will give a 4-5 round program next year considering what Moncet said: clearly, Sordo’s season (efficient but a bit rusty) has shown you need some habits on the car and for a newcomer in Rally1 car, 4 rounds is not enough to get these habits. I clearly think they will have a better balance if their 3rd car next year with a 8-6 or 7-7 balance between Sordo and another driver (Breen, Suninen or Mikkelsen).

About Toyota, the best for the balance of the championship would be:
Rovanpera and Evans in the two first cars
Katsuta sharing 3rd car with Ogier
4th car full-time shared between Katsuta (when Ogier in 3rd) and a young driver (when Ogier is not driving) such as Lindholm.

EstWRC
5th November 2022, 11:47
Latvalas talk has changed a lot last two weeks https://www-rallit-fi.translate.goog/jari-matti-latvala-kaansi-takkinsa-tallipomolta-vahva-vihjaus-toyotan-kuskitilanteesta/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=et&_x_tr_pto=wapp

AnttiL
5th November 2022, 12:01
I would like Mikkelsen to get a Rally1 drive just to prove the ”ladder” works, if you win WRC2 (possibly/almost twice) plus ERC you should be able to progress forwards.

cali
5th November 2022, 12:10
Latvalas talk has changed a lot last two weeks https://www-rallit-fi.translate.goog/jari-matti-latvala-kaansi-takkinsa-tallipomolta-vahva-vihjaus-toyotan-kuskitilanteesta/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=et&_x_tr_pto=wappWonder if Jouhki's comments are also changing?

meh
5th November 2022, 12:18
Well, Mikkelsen seems to be likeable guy to have in WRC but actually I don't know the answer, why he is "ignored" or down in the hire-list for teams?

He was too much "till learning the car" in Hyundai and can drive only when car is "accidentally" perfect for him to drive? (Like during VW time).

The same comment I can make to Ostberg direction. But both developed Rally2 cars, so they should have good level development and setup-skills.

Danny0405
5th November 2022, 12:21
I would like Mikkelsen to get a Rally1 drive just to prove the ”ladder” works, if you win WRC2 (possibly/almost twice) plus ERC you should be able to progress forwards.

Well, in his case, it’s not totally the real ladder as he is a former manufacturer RC1 driver; for me, the driver who represents the ladder the most at the moment (even if it depends a bit on what will happen next week) is Lindholm.

IMO, as said above, the best deal would be Ogier/Katsuta in shared 3rd car and Katsuta/Lindholm in shared 4th car for Toyota:
- all the investments made by Toyota on Katsuta make sense only if he becomes a real manufacturer driver at one point; a 4th drive for all his career is non-sense ; this solution would allow him to put one step ahead as a manufacturer driver while still doing the full season and limiting the risk for the team with Ogier still in the mix (and Toyota’s Rovanpera-Evans-Ogier/Katsuta line-up has a real possibility of winning the manufacturer title against a Neuville-Lappi-Sordo/Suninen line-up)
- it would show Toyota is still investing in the future of rally and promoting young new drivers at the top level (and it allows to prepare the future whereas the real best 10 drivers in the world so far are all more 30+ years except Rovanpera) and Lindholm is the best young RC2 driver this season.
- Would also show the Next Generation team is not just a fake trick for Japanese drivers but a real stuff, helping to promote driver with potential.
- Toyota is looking for a driver to develop his future Rally2 car? Well, Lindholm fits the bill, he has contributed in the development of the new Skoda, the best brand of the class and he is one of the top guns of Rally2 this season so he could have a deal in 2024 with part-time Rally1 and part-time Rally2 when the RC2 car will be available. And he will know the new Skoda who has a high probability of being the reference to beat.

Yeah, there are other drivers such as Ostberg, Mikkelsen or Suninen (or even Meeke) that could develop the RC2 (and have the development experience in this class) and being a part-time driver; but not sure there gave as much advantages as this solution and they all also represent a risk considering their time out of the main class (and never had made a Rally1 rally).

meh
5th November 2022, 12:48
Wonder if Jouhki's comments are also changing?

Jouhki is "funny" guy. First saying, that "he did not expect Tänak to leave Hyundai" - but he did.

... and then he states really clearly that Tänak will stay at home because this is his most realistic option.

Some more surprises to come? (I don't know the answer and don't pretend to know it)

skarderud
5th November 2022, 14:13
I would like Mikkelsen to get a Rally1 drive just to prove the ”ladder” works, if you win WRC2 (possibly/almost twice) plus ERC you should be able to progress forwards.What if, split drive with Ogier and develop/race WRC2 for Toyota?
Probably the best wrc2 driver/developer around these days?

Oliverk
5th November 2022, 16:42
Estonian Delfi:
19.-22. january: Monte Carlo

9.-12. february: Sweden

16.-19. march: Mexico

20.-23. april: Croatia

11.-14. may: Portugal

1.-4. june: Italy (Sardegna)*

29. june - 2. july: Kenya (Safari)*

20.-23. july: Estonia

3.-6. august: Finland

31. august - 3. september: Chile

28. september - 1. october: Greece

26.-29 october: Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Czech)

16.-19. november: Japan

1.-3. december: Saudi Arabia

Danny0405
5th November 2022, 17:16
From what I understand from Joukhi and Suninen’s interviews, sounds like they are negotiating with Hyundai a sort of almost full-season deal with 5/6 rounds in Rally1 and 6/7 in Rally2 (to follow the development of the car).

Considering the calendar already evoked for some weeks and reminded above, it would give something like, if they succeed:

Sordo: MC, Croatia, Portugal, Sardinia, Chile, Greece, Central Europa, Japan

Suninen: Sweden, Mexico, Safari, Estonia, Finland, Saudi Arabia in Rally1 (and MC, Croatia, Portugal, Sardinia, Greece, Central Europa and Japan in Rally2 or something like that)

Well, not a bad idea even if I’m not sure I would take Suninen to replace Solberg as the first choice.
Question mark about which team will run the Rally2 program considering it’s highly doubtful Hyundai will follow with RedGrey.

AnttiL
5th November 2022, 17:43
I would change Sordo to Mexico and Suninen to Chile

Sergiow
5th November 2022, 18:12
Red Bull Sports! There seems to be a lot going on lately. Rumour is that 78 year old founder Dietrich Mateschitz is very sick (see https://sportnieuws.nl/formule-1/toekomst-van-red-bull-onzeker-mede-oprichter-dietrich-mateschitz-is-vrij-ziek/). When Mateschitz finally will disappear, all his shares of Red Bull Company will probably be transfered to the Thai mother company. That will create a lot insecurity for the Red Bull Sports branch, especially for WRC where the majority of the Rally 1 drivers are sponsored by Red Bull and M-Sport might be in serious trouble too ...

Red Bull has defined a succession plan for the management of the energy drink group, including its Formula 1 teams, following the death of co-founder Dietrich Mateschitz last month. It was decided that the strategic-operational responsibility of Red Bull will no longer be entrusted to a single CEO, as was the case under Mateschitz, but will be divided between three people.

In a letter sent to Red Bull staff, Mateschitz's son Mark explained that a solution "proposed by my father" and "supported by our Thai partners" will be put in place. This last comment is a reference to the Yoovidhya family of entrepreneurs.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-red-bull-finalizzato-il-piano-di-successione-di-mateschitz/10394874/

Eli
5th November 2022, 19:15
Estonian Delfi:
19.-22. january: Monte Carlo

9.-12. february: Sweden

16.-19. march: Mexico

20.-23. april: Croatia

11.-14. may: Portugal

1.-4. june: Italy (Sardegna)*

29. june - 2. july: Kenya (Safari)*

20.-23. july: Estonia

3.-6. august: Finland

31. august - 3. september: Chile

28. september - 1. october: Greece

26.-29 october: Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Czech)

16.-19. november: Japan

1.-3. december: Saudi Arabia

The link to the article: https://sport.delfi.ee/artikkel/120094072/fia-jagas-asjaosalistega-wrc-kalendrit-millal-toimub-jargmise-hooaja-rally-estonia

Just the dates for Sardegna & Safari need to be finalised. Annoying about Saudi Arabia although I guess it’s inevitable at this point and shame that they didn’t bother with reserve events, yes I know they didn’t do it this year but next year they have many more events off Europe, might as well give them a back up plan if it fails.

NOT
5th November 2022, 19:50
moving acropolis in the middle of rain season in Greece is a brilliant idea... probably they will ditch the event from 23 on so they do not really care.

fiscorpun
6th November 2022, 03:32
Im not convinced Oliver Mintzlaff is the best person to handle redbull's motorsports arm... No RoI? Bye bye.

RS
6th November 2022, 04:57
I think Lindholm has a lot of potential but aren't dudes pushing for him to go to Rally1 making the 'Oliver Solberg mistake' again?

I think he should spend one more season in WRC2 and win it convincingly (if he wins this year it will be a large part due to Mikkelsen's 2 engine related retirements)

meh
6th November 2022, 05:22
I think Lindholm has a lot of potential but aren't dudes pushing for him to go to Rally1 making the 'Oliver Solberg mistake' again?

I think he should spend one more season in WRC2 and win it convincingly (if he wins this year it will be a large part due to Mikkelsen's 2 engine related retirements)

Everyone just want to hear Reeta giving notes.

Danny0405
6th November 2022, 10:25

Well, not exactly the same for me:

- Lindholm has almost 100 rally starts (23 in WRC), the equivalent of 8 serious seasons in rally including 5 in Rally2 and is currently in the top 3 of the best Rally2 drivers this season without a doubt (Mikkelsen is probably a bit better and a question mark about Suninen but both are formet RC1 drivers).

- When Solberg began in WRC 4th car last year, he had as an experience 4 years of rally including only 2 in Rally2 (and 50 rally starts and only 6 or 7 in WRC). And even with his 2020 Estonia class win, his ranking in the Rally2 drivers was not that clear.

For me, Lindholm is a bit more comparable to Tidemand ... and the Swedish clearly had his M-Sport opportunity one year too late (and not in the good context) to have the possibility to stay long at top level.
IMO, this is the good moment for Lindholm to obtain a shared-time program in a 4th car; he is clearly on top of the young Rally2 drivers this season (ahead of Rossel, Gryazin, ...) and in a difficult driver market, you may not have another opportunity in the future.
Also to add Toyota’s context in 4th car especially is more keen to help driver’s development than Hyundai I think (a bit more skeptical about M-Sport)

But first, he has to prove he can handle the pressure of an international championship next week.

seb_sh
6th November 2022, 10:58
If he can manage this and win the championship he can step up i think. Better to keep the momentum. Even if he didn't dominate he beat most of what was put in front of him so why not. Sure he got some help from Mikkelsen's engine but still he was there to pick up the points. The comparison with Solberg is not correct in my opinion. Solberg was missing a year of top level Rally2. For Lindholm this year was that year.

Sergiow
6th November 2022, 19:57
Im not convinced Oliver Mintzlaff is the best person to handle redbull's motorsports arm... No RoI? Bye bye.
Don't really know this Mintzlaff guy and his reputation. Seems he was manager of Red Bull Leipzig football club until now

seb_sh
6th November 2022, 20:34
Don't really know this Mintzlaff guy and his reputation. Seems he was manager of Red Bull Leipzig football club until now

here is more info, focused on Formula 1 but probably relevant for all sports where Red Bull is involved. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-finalises-mateschitz-succession-plan/10394847/

skarderud
7th November 2022, 13:49
https://www.parcferme.no/vm-kontrakten-var-i-boks-sa-mistet-andreas-kontakten-med-fabrikkteamet/172582

Mikkelsen had a contract running 6 rallies in a Hyundai next season, suddenly they stopped answer the phone.
Is Hyundai this extremely unserious?

seb_sh
7th November 2022, 14:26
https://www.parcferme.no/vm-kontrakten-var-i-boks-sa-mistet-andreas-kontakten-med-fabrikkteamet/172582

Mikkelsen had a contract running 6 rallies in a Hyundai next season, suddenly they stopped answer the phone.

I'm sorry for him but at this point it's like some comedy how he misses out on a drive every time...

meh
7th November 2022, 14:53
I'm sorry for him but at this point it's like some comedy how he misses out on a drive every time...

They should make a team with Paddon. Ostberg as a potential 3rd driver.

AnttiL
8th November 2022, 09:30
https://ralli.ee/ott-tanak-uueks-aastaks-mul-lepingut-ei-ole/

Tänak says he has no contract for next year. Also gives his comment about gossiping :D

flat_right
8th November 2022, 09:42
https://ralli.ee/ott-tanak-uueks-aastaks-mul-lepingut-ei-ole/

Tänak says he has no contract for next year. Also gives his comment about gossiping :D

In Spain he said that he will drive with Hyundai next year :D Nothing new.

raffrantic
8th November 2022, 09:55
as usual snooty. it's normal people want to know, he wants to get a job from the Japanese.

mknight
8th November 2022, 10:50

My guess is Joukhi offered money for putting Sunninen in cause he was pissed Lappi (EVEN) got a full year contract.

skarderud
8th November 2022, 15:36
My guess is Joukhi offered money for putting Sunninen in cause he was pissed Lappi (EVEN) got a full year contract.Good guess.

Joukhi has helped drivers for years, he also helped lots of good talents to not get a chance because he invented to pay lots for seats. Maybe he helped to ruin the sport?

rp
8th November 2022, 16:58
How difficult it is to write names correctly? :) Jouhki & Suninen

becher
8th November 2022, 17:40
Good guess.

Joukhi has helped drivers for years, he also helped lots of good talents to not get a chance because he invented to pay lots for seats. Maybe he helped to ruin the sport?

No, bringing budget was/is normal in motorsport except for a few.

becher
8th November 2022, 17:42
My guess is Joukhi offered money for putting Sunninen in cause he was pissed Lappi (EVEN) got a full year contract.

Why would he continue to fund Suninen in a factory seat? Isn't point of his model to get his investment back once a driver has a factory seat?

skarderud
8th November 2022, 17:52
No, bringing budget was/is normal in motorsport except for a few.Both, but before it wasn't this amount of money.
Good talents could drive for free, or a small amount of money. The team/brand/importer put in the rest.
This was quite normal in the 90's.
Today it is normal to put in awful lot of money, of course it become more expensive thru the years too, but ie M-sport that find out someone was able to pay much more for the seat than before, made it more difficult for talents to get up there.

It's to few manu's around, and the few seats possible has been paid out, maybe not by the most interresting drivers from a sporting point of wiew.

Maybe i'm just old:)

AnttiL
8th November 2022, 18:15
We don't know who pays to drive or is paid to drive so it's all speculation. But bringing in budget has been very common in rallying throughout the decades. It just has often been about bringing in a sponsor or getting money from your local importer. We know that Marcus Grönholm was promised a Toyota seat for 1999 but in the end Didier Auriol got more support from Toyota's French importer so he got the gig and Grönholm was left out (although in the end it was a much better result for Grönholm). We also know that a certain red-white livery often followed Freddy Loix no matter which car he drove.

seb_sh
8th November 2022, 18:28
Same with Sainz, Repsol or Telefonica were usually on his cars. Budget is part of the game.

AnttiL
8th November 2022, 18:31
Same with Sainz, Repsol or Telefonica were usually on his cars. Budget is part of the game.

And Sainz is a curious example because for sure he wouldn't have needed any extra budget

doubled1978
8th November 2022, 18:58
We don't know who pays to drive or is paid to drive so it's all speculation. But bringing in budget has been very common in rallying throughout the decades. It just has often been about bringing in a sponsor or getting money from your local importer. We know that Marcus Grönholm was promised a Toyota seat for 1999 but in the end Didier Auriol got more support from Toyota's French importer so he got the gig and Grönholm was left out (although in the end it was a much better result for Grönholm). We also know that a certain red-white livery often followed Freddy Loix no matter which car he drove.

Freddy taking that Red-White livery to Mitsubishi probably put the end to his progress. In the Corolla he was very quick, but went nowhere in the Lancer.

becher
8th November 2022, 19:00
And Sainz is a curious example because for sure he wouldn't have needed any extra budget

Not that unusual, sponsors that have a bond with successful drivers tend to follow them around. But it is obviously a different matter than bringing a sponsor to fund a drive.

EstWRC
9th November 2022, 05:07
https://twitter.com/se_rally/status/1590104010132164611?s=46&t=zTUpNo-AbBM401inwI_Adg

What a surprise….

cali
9th November 2022, 05:23
https://twitter.com/se_rally/status/1590104010132164611?s=46&t=zTUpNo-AbBM401inwI_Adg

What a surprise….I think this was one of the reasons (WRC2/Rally2) why Tänak signed and now left as HMSG is overlooking every detail and contract after Adamo's departure.

AnttiL
9th November 2022, 09:17
https://www.loudlifemedia.fi/pajari-heads-to-japan-for-the-first-taste-of-overseas-events-plans-for-season-2023-revealed/

Pajari with Toksport Skoda next year

EstWRC
9th November 2022, 13:41
Kalle hinting that Lappi is gone https://www-rallit-fi.translate.goog/kalle-rovanperalta-vahva-vihje-esapekka-lapin-tilanteesta-ep-oli-hyva-tiimikaveri/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=et&_x_tr_pto=wapp

flat_right
9th November 2022, 13:43
Kalle hinting that Lappi is gone https://www-rallit-fi.translate.goog/kalle-rovanperalta-vahva-vihje-esapekka-lapin-tilanteesta-ep-oli-hyva-tiimikaveri/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=et&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Hinting? :D He pretty much confirms it: EP was of course a good teammate and he is also Finnish and a good friend. Of course, it's a shame that we can no longer spend fun time together, Rovanperä said.

lmmjvss
9th November 2022, 14:10
"FUN TIME" between two Finish guys in my head looks like being quiet 99% of the time, with jokes for answers when one asks something.

cali
9th November 2022, 16:04
"FUN TIME" between two Finish guys in my head looks like being quiet 99% of the time, with jokes for answers when one asks something.As you can see the meaning of fun is rather different when you're from north

EstWRC
9th November 2022, 16:19
https://www.rallit.fi/jari-matti-latvalalta-suora-vastaus-kysymykseen-ott-tanakista-tuhoaisimme-taman-lajin/

"Latvala made it clear that the Estonian is not returning to the team.

- If we took Ott, we would destroy this sport in a certain way, because there would be three world champions in the same team (Kalle Rovanperä, Ogier, Tänak). He is needed more at M-Sport Ford. In terms of the World Series, it would be the best solution, Latvala emphasized."

Lets see then if he keeps his words

TypeR
9th November 2022, 16:34
Either he doesn't know anything or just stirring the water..

There must be something going on in Toyota..
Or else they would have announced the team(specially Evans..)

seb_sh
9th November 2022, 17:25
Either he doesn't know anything or just stirring the water..

There must be something going on in Toyota..
Or else they would have announced the team(specially Evans..)

I suppose Toyota is either waiting for rally Japan to announce (could be tomorrow even) or their end of year corporate motorsport event thing.

Eli
9th November 2022, 17:45
https://www.rallit.fi/jari-matti-latvalalta-suora-vastaus-kysymykseen-ott-tanakista-tuhoaisimme-taman-lajin/

"Latvala made it clear that the Estonian is not returning to the team.

- If we took Ott, we would destroy this sport in a certain way, because there would be three world champions in the same team (Kalle Rovanperä, Ogier, Tänak). He is needed more at M-Sport Ford. In terms of the World Series, it would be the best solution, Latvala emphasized."

Lets see then if he keeps his words

It's nice to see that he thinks Ott is needed in M-Sport but between that and not bringing him to the team... as many people said here before, it's not (only) his decision to make, Guess we'll find out Sunday/Monday. Just speculating of course, don't think he'll keep to his words.

meh
10th November 2022, 06:28
In a way Latvala is playing with his reputation - in case Tänak really goes to Toyota and the decision is kind of made against Latvala's will over his head, how people take him seriously as a team boss after that?

pantealex
10th November 2022, 06:41
In a way Latvala is playing with his reputation - in case Tänak really goes to Toyota and the decision is kind of made against Latvala's will over his head, how people take him seriously as a team boss after that?

Has someone taken him seriously as team boss ?

He is member of lead group not dictator :)

flat_right
10th November 2022, 07:02
Urmo Aava (Rally Estonia director) told that the delay of announcing the 2023 calendar was because of the documentation. Some rallies haven't done it correctly. It came out on the last minute as Rally Estonia already had a press release ready.

AnttiL
10th November 2022, 10:15
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/tanak-yet-to-resolve-2023-wrc-future/10397418/

Tänak says he has nothing yet, will start thinking about future after getting home from Japan

EstWRC
10th November 2022, 11:05
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/tanak-yet-to-resolve-2023-wrc-future/10397418/

Tänak says he has nothing yet, will start thinking about future after getting home from Japan

I guess we can exclude him doing half a season then based on his comments in the article

Jewy46
10th November 2022, 11:26

That to me sounds like M-Sport is still a real possibility if enough commercial backing can be found. I had nearly wrote it off going by some of the comments.

I'm getting more and more worried for Craig, hopefully he keeps/finds a seat. Realistically if M-Sport keep him he will probably get a full season but that's not the case at Hyundai if he jumps ship.

EstWRC
10th November 2022, 12:27
That to me sounds like M-Sport is still a real possibility if enough commercial backing can be found. I had nearly wrote it off going by some of the comments.

I'm getting more and more worried for Craig, hopefully he keeps/finds a seat. Realistically if M-Sport keep him he will probably get a full season but that's the not the case at Hyundai if he jumps ship.

my guess still is Toyota, he seems kinda really happy this week so far (atlhough for this there is also another reason from his family) and all this praise for Japan and etc. M-sport just doesnt have this kind of money for his payment and also for development but i would love him seeing back at M-sport

seb_sh
10th November 2022, 12:52

I'm getting more and more worried for Craig, hopefully he keeps/finds a seat. Realistically if M-Sport keep him he will probably get a full season but that's the not the case at Hyundai if he jumps ship.

For the WRC itself Tanak to MSport would be the best thing. If I was promoter I would be busting my ass to make some deals with sponsors and people happen. This is the kind of thing Bernie was good at, and one of the ingredients that makes a championship as a product good.

er88
10th November 2022, 12:52
Thing is Latvala is just a happy, approachable likeable face of the team. Lindstrom and Fowler have much more to do with the actual running of the team. And if Toyoda wants Tanak back, then Latvala's opinion matters zilch

Managarium
10th November 2022, 14:20

I'm getting more and more worried for Craig, hopefully he keeps/finds a seat. Realistically if M-Sport keep him he will probably get a full season but that's not the case at Hyundai if he jumps ship.

Wait a minute.
Craig signed a two year dela with M-Sport. 2022/23.
Is there any loop in his contract that they can get rid of him?

TypeR
10th November 2022, 14:33
Wait a minute.
Craig signed a two year dela with M-Sport. 2022/23.
Is there any loop in his contract that they can get rid of him?
He was supposed to fight for podiums on every event and not crashing on half of the events..
+ every contract can be ended

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2022, 17:24
Latvala on Tanak to Toyota rumours:

“Thinking about the future of the sport it would kill it if you had three world champions in one team,” he added.

“I think for everybody it would be best if he drive for M-Sport because then there would be top drivers in every team, so the championship would be exciting as the cars are so close to each other.”

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-plans-to-reveal-wrc-2023-line-up-next-week/10397466/

Managarium
10th November 2022, 17:51
He was supposed to fight for podiums on every event and not crashing on half of the events..
+ every contract can be ended

Well, I think that he fought for podium finish on every event, that was goal. Just he over achieved himself by fighting too much and he crashed :D :monster::grenade:

manthey
10th November 2022, 18:51
Latvala on Tanak to Toyota rumours:

“…if you had three world champions in one team,” he added.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-plans-to-reveal-wrc-2023-line-up-next-week/10397466/

That’s the aim of Toyoda…to have the Dream Team driving his cars

AnttiL
10th November 2022, 19:00
Well, I think that he fought for podium finish on every event, that was goal. Just he over achieved himself by fighting too much and he crashed :D :monster::grenade:

Position before crash: 7th in Sweden, 5th in Estonia, Finland and Ypres; 2nd in NZ. So basically NZ was the only rally where he crashed out fighting for a podium. In Safari he was also out of any podium fights when the car broke and same story in Portugal when the puncture happened (also a small off there)

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2022, 22:13
That’s the aim of Toyoda…to have the Dream Team driving his cars

But if there's no struggle, there's no achievement.

the sniper
10th November 2022, 23:50
But if there's no struggle, there's no achievement.

The Le Mans/WEC program would suggest he doesn't share that view.

TypeR
11th November 2022, 00:07
Position before crash: 7th in Sweden, 5th in Estonia, Finland and Ypres; 2nd in NZ. So basically NZ was the only rally where he crashed out fighting for a podium. In Safari he was also out of any podium fights when the car broke and same story in Portugal when the puncture happened (also a small off there)
Position before crash: 5th in Japan

bandit12
11th November 2022, 03:33
Position before crash: 5th in Japan
Another episode of "Who wants to be a Millener"

mknight
11th November 2022, 05:38

The progress before every one of his crashes looks exactly the same.

Mostly decent times (once even rally lead) then he starts pushing a bit harder to keep up or move up (see splits) and crashes.

As I just wrote in MSport thread I can't remember any driver having a worse season and certainly not a driver staying in the car after something like this.

Lefebvre had worse 2017 but he was out of the car after 1/3 of the season, Meeke 2019 is probably closest. So it would be hilarious if Meeke and Breen share a car at Hyundai next year.

Sulland
11th November 2022, 13:02
Must be tough being MSport management these days.
They had, maybe still has the best car.
The only driver that has been able to get the best out of the car is only part time driver. The number 1 driver is in 7th place, and will end up there. Next Fords are 10,11, 13 and 16th.

For 23 they need to get better drivers, where 2 can fight for podiums in all rallies.
I really hope they get that and will create more exitement in the top. We need that!

er88
11th November 2022, 13:55
Msports reliability has been God awful this season, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. The car is fast but not at all strong. If they got a top driver (Tanak) it would be interesting to see if they could produce a more reliable car, and develop it well throughout the year. Hard to know if they've been scrimping and saving on parts this year due to the drivers not being upto it

Danny0405
11th November 2022, 22:45
It's nice to see that he thinks Ott is needed in M-Sport but between that and not bringing him to the team... as many people said here before, it's not (only) his decision to make, Guess we'll find out Sunday/Monday. Just speculating of course, don't think he'll keep to his words.

Well, it’s not that simple now for Toyota even if they are not in dire situation so it’s normal they took a bit of time as they are not in a hurry with some options available. In the last month, a top driver has been free and Toyota lost a good point scorer to its main competitor whereas they thought it would be pretty much set.

Probably some political games with different views:
- Finnish side sounds like they don’t want Tanak and I think it’s more about not taking risks about Rovanpera (remember Ogier vs. Loeb 2011 and its consequences for Citroen) more than the PR stuff. And sounds like they would prefer Katsuta still in 4th car as he struggles to achieve big results and to keep same strategy than this year with Mikkelsen or Suninen to substitute Lappi.

- Probably some people in the Japanese side has seen that since mid-season, Hyundai has clearly tied Toyota and Neuville is a championship contender; they may want to hire Tanak as a revenge for 2019 + to secure the championships.

- also in the Japanese management, with Lappi gone, probably some people pushing for Katsuta at least sharing 3rd car with Ogier (and then to be assessed if the best strategy is Katsuta full-season in 3rd and 4th car depending on when Ogier drives or Katsuta only making a part-time season with Ogier in 3rd car to benefit from better road positions)

Already gave my opinion, think the best is Rovanpera - Evans - Ogier/Katsuta - Katsuta/Lindholm with 4 cars.
But it’s not an easy decision.

mousti
13th November 2022, 08:41
Heard soms interesting rumours this weekend.

Mikkelsen had already an agreement with Hyundai, but that went sideways due to Lappi suddenly showing up. Now he's back to testing with Skoda, seems they werent happy after Lausitz.

Breen would be back at Hyundai with an parttime deal, suprising if that would be right ..

Fourmaux is looking for an WRC2 drive, seems he's done with MSport Rally1..

To be continued ...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

skarderud
13th November 2022, 08:45
Rally japan is finished, when can we see the first announcements from the drivers and teams?

Hyundai: Neuville, Lappi, sordo/breen/paddon

Toyota: Rovenpära, Evans, ogier/katsuta

Ford: Tänak, Mikkelsen, Loubet

Maybe optional Mikkelsen shared with ogier if Evans goes to Ford, but i don't think he'll do.

mknight
13th November 2022, 09:09
Sadly I think MSport will be down to few Loeb starts combined with Loubet and Greensmith full season and maybe Solberg half season.

I do hope for Tanak, but something like the above is far more realistic.

EstWRC
13th November 2022, 09:23
Hyundai will announce next week, some rumors mentioning tomorrow already. I guess Toyota week after then and M-sport will be last like always cause they are just taking the leftovers.

My personal prediction:

Toyota

Rovanperä
Tänak
Ogier/Katsuta

Hyundai

Neuville
Lappi
Sordo/Suninen/Breen

M-sport

Evans
Loubet
Greeensmith
Loeb/Solberg

mknight
13th November 2022, 09:38
I can understand why Hyundai would hire Lappi, hiring Breen after this season provided he gets kicked by MSport is quite hard to understand.

Mikkelsen or Suninen can cover same rallies, arguably with same amount of risk and very good recent results. While Breen has not gotten out of crashing in 7 rallies and now has a new co-driver on top.

Trying to think out of the box they might be interested in comparisons with Puma, but from technical perspective Louriaux had seen everything on Puma before he went to Hyundai.

Danny0405
13th November 2022, 10:07
I can understand why Hyundai would hire Lappi, hiring Breen after this season provided he gets kicked by MSport is quite hard to understand.

Mikkelsen or Suninen can cover same rallies, arguably with same amount of risk and very good recent results. While Breen has not gotten out of crashing in 7 rallies and now has a new co-driver on top.

Trying to think out of the box they might be interested in comparisons with Puma, but from technical perspective Louriaux had seen everything on Puma before he went to Hyundai.

Whoever they take between Breen, Mikkelsen and Suninen will be a risk with all of these choices having their pros and cons for almost the same profile of driver (and no other option making real sense on the contrary such as Paddon, Ostberg and Meeke who were a bit too far of the game for too long for different reasons; for Paddon would need at least one year in Rally2 to prove what he can do again). Honestly, I don’t see a no-brainer choice between these 3 (even if I had to pick, I would take Mikkelsen):

- Breen: well, his season is awful but he still makes two podiums and has driven in Rally1 which is a big advantage compared with the two others (can be an advantage especially because there is less adaptation period); and he would come back in the profile where he was the most efficient: part-time with road position advantage. But yeah, it’s a bet as he is in bad dynamic.

- Mikkelsen: probably the one who did the best season so the best dynamic; but he has not driven in RC1 rally for 3 years and never in Rally1: is he able to adapt this type of car as we saw it’s not that simple? And is his style the most efficient for a part-time driver?

- Suninen: well, he is in the team but I’m not that enthusiastic about his RC2 season: yes, he won in Finland (sport-wise) and Spain but he made a huge mistake in Portugal and was dominated in terms of «*«*normal rhythm*» by Lindholm in Greece and Japan and by Mikkelsen in Estonia (difficult to assess Sardinia with early technical issues). And he was not very good in his time with M-Sport; only reason which would justify this choice would be betting on his potential (but why not bet on Solberg in that case) and to reward his excellent job in the development of the Rally2 Hyundai.

spyros
13th November 2022, 12:46
I've heard that maybe Formaux will join toyota.

WRCStan
13th November 2022, 13:07

As what?

meh
13th November 2022, 13:13
As what?

Weather man? :) They needed one in Japan.

meh
13th November 2022, 13:17
One random thought: Tänak has not decided anything and waited the end of season - maybe because to have freedom to test out both - Toyota and Ford and THEN decide. Suitable car is probably more important thing than salary, so I think all this "M-Sport can not afford Tänak" is not really a keyword here.

meh
13th November 2022, 13:19
Second one - seems that Evans - Martin duo have had at least co-driver mistakes this year - once got penalty and this time in Japan delayed note caused puncture and falling of from the fight. I wonder how strong is the relationship there.

At least Evans showed some speed and fighting spirit which we didn't see too much this season.

AnttiL
13th November 2022, 13:26
As what?

doctor?

becher
13th November 2022, 14:14
doctor?
I thought he was studying pharmacy.

manthey
13th November 2022, 15:31
One random thought: Tänak has not decided anything and waited the end of season - maybe because to have freedom to test out both - Toyota and Ford and THEN decide. Suitable car is probably more important thing than salary, so I think all this "M-Sport can not afford Tänak" is not really a keyword here.I remember also Ogier did the same time before deciding for Msport exiting from VW

flat_right
13th November 2022, 15:48
One random thought: Tänak has not decided anything and waited the end of season - maybe because to have freedom to test out both - Toyota and Ford and THEN decide. Suitable car is probably more important thing than salary, so I think all this "M-Sport can not afford Tänak" is not really a keyword here.

Is there anything to test? I mean we know Toyota is the best package at the moment so if he can choose either one I think Toyota would be a no-brainer.

mknight
13th November 2022, 16:24
Is there anything to test? I mean we know Toyota is the best package at the moment so if he can choose either one I think Toyota would be a no-brainer.

Evans seems pretty unhappy with the Toyota and Loeb is leading a rally every time he drives the Puma while he barely managed two podiums from many starts in i20.

TypeR
13th November 2022, 17:57
Evans seems pretty unhappy with the Toyota and Loeb is leading a rally every time he drives the Puma while he barely managed two podiums from many starts in i20.
Unhappy with Yaris? :D :D

This season's best car by far and taking WDC + Manus title..

Only problem is himself not being able to manage the pressure of young fin beating him here and there..(after messing everything up in Monza).

meh
13th November 2022, 18:06

This seems like that... but... do we actually KNOW it? I think we don't have valid comparison. It can be that Loeb is just the master who can drive with everything... but was not able to drive with Hyundai actually. The same pattern is with Loubet. The question or worry here is, how reliable the Puma is.

flat_right
13th November 2022, 18:11
This seems like that... but... do we actually KNOW it? I think we don't have valid comparison. It can be that Loeb is just the master who can drive with everything... but was not able to drive with Hyundai actually. The same pattern is with Loubet. The question or worry here is, how reliable the Puma is.

It's not only the car, it is the whole package. Can M-Sport develop the car, can they arrange PETs etc? No one is questioning that the car isn't good, but if you look at the bigger picture, it should be clear that Toyota is a place to be.

bandit12
13th November 2022, 18:25
We all know, that Toyota is the best place to be.
Also we know that this is the only team with fully filled lineup. Loosing one part time driver does not put any pressure to them to find replacement for him. They have Taka San for that.

Managarium
13th November 2022, 18:39
I thought he was studying pharmacy.

He finished 4 of 9 years of medicine study.

Danny0405
13th November 2022, 19:15

As what?

With Lappi out, Toyota will clearly need a driver to lead the final part of the development of the Rally2 car.
Hanninen can lead the first part but they need a more up-to-date driver to make this final stages of development if they want to compete against such a big competition quite quickly (Skoda for sure, Hyundai is good now, Citroen also, VW is still an interesting car).
Evans has participated in developing R5 Fiesta but a full-season driver can not develop a car IMO and same for Ogier for a different reason (they can make one or two run but not full sessions).
All the last Rally2 developed has proved you need some time to optimize it and overall, to have a lead driver with a certain knowledge to optimize it.

Fourmaux has developed the Fiesta Rally1 but as not that much experience in Rally2, I would select Suninen, Mikkelsen, Ostberg or Lindholm over him personnally. But maybe someone still believes in his potential and want to keep it close in his field.

mknight
13th November 2022, 20:21
We all know, that Toyota is the best place to be.
Also we know that this is the only team with fully filled lineup. Loosing one part time driver does not put any pressure to them to find replacement for him. They have Taka San for that.

Lappi left them already once when they were best (2018) for Citroen and now if rumors are true he is doing that again (though maybe not on own will).

spyros
14th November 2022, 02:58
The rumour was for Loubet not Formaux to join Toyota.

mknight
14th November 2022, 05:23
No late-night tweets from Tanak :(

That actually makes some sense and would also mean MSport loses the seemingly only driver with potential they have.

AnttiL
14th November 2022, 07:28

And use the same co-driver with Ogier :D

bandit12
14th November 2022, 07:30
And use the same co-driver with Ogier :D

Yes. Same car and same co driver.

Danny0405
14th November 2022, 08:27
Well, I’m skeptical about Loubet’s potential, he is for a while in WRC so he knows the round (which is a big advantage compared with drivers around the same age) and except for 1 or 2 rallies with road position advantage, he was not way better than Solberg this year (and last year, he was very bad in Hyundai even a bit outdated, compared other guys in the same outdated car such as Solans).
And he never developed a car so I’m a bit doubtful he can lead Toyota’s effort to develop the rally2 car (even if he was a rather good Rally2 driver so he is a bit the market target 3 years ago).

That being said, if Toyota is going to plan Rovanpera-Evans in the first 2 cars, Katsuta full-time between 3rd and 4th car and Ogier part-time in 3rd, it would let an half-season not used in 4th car; if Loubet brings some budget as he did in the last 3 years, indeed, Toyota could have an interest to try it after all (except if you take Tanak but that’s a different matter, there is no no-brainer choice).

mknight
16th November 2022, 05:48
To ressurect some discussion.

A week ago it was rumored Lappi had to leave Toyota (due to either Tanak coming or Katsuta being nominated). Now with rumors about Loubet and Latvalas recent comments on (potential) new driver it seem maybe he left on his own.

If Lappi left on his own was it a good move from him?

a) OMG leaving fastest/best car (manu Champ) for second time (first time 2018) for a "twitchy" car. Almost cost him his career last time.

or

b) in Toyota there was no clear way to full season. When he tried to push for wins in his starts he failed (Sardinia and before that Croatia, in Finland he almost did a Meeke which would definitely shut the door) so he had to dial back to "steady" (Ypres). Maybe he thinks that with limited number of starts it is harder to push for wins (and towards full season) with less time in car.

Eli
16th November 2022, 06:42
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/toyotas-2023-driver-announcement-coming-next-week/

According to them, this week it’s Hyundai, next week is Toyota.

EstWRC
16th November 2022, 06:42
Like I predicted. Toyota announcing next week https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/toyotas-2023-driver-announcement-coming-next-week/

E: Eli was faster

becher
16th November 2022, 08:21

A week ago it was rumored Lappi had to leave Toyota (due to either Tanak coming or Katsuta being nominated). Now with rumors about Loubet and Latvalas recent comments on (potential) new driver it seem maybe he left on his own.

a) OMG leaving fastest/best car (manu Champ) for second time (first time 2018) for a "twitchy" car. Almost cost him his career last time.

or

b) in Toyota there was no clear way to full season. When he tried to push for wins in his starts he failed (Sardinia and before that Croatia, in Finland he almost did a Meeke which would definitely shut the door) so he had to dial back to "steady" (Ypres). Maybe he thinks that with limited number of starts it is harder to push for wins (and towards full season) with less time in car.

He found himself in the same situation as 2018, he is the third(fourth) man in the team, at Citroen he was supposed to be no.1 at Hyundai he will likely be the no.2, which is an improvement over his Toyota position.

rp
16th November 2022, 08:40
He found himself in the same situation as 2018, he is the third(fourth) man in the team, at Citroen he was supposed to be no.1 at Hyundai he will likely be the no.2, which is an improvement over his Toyota position.

Hopefully this time the history will not repeat. Must be a 2-year contract just like with Citroën, but they stopped after the 1st year.

mknight
16th November 2022, 09:05

He was "no.1" at MSport, which meant running 6-7th on rallies.

Being "Lord of the flies" might be nice, but won't make you win rallies.

AndersX
16th November 2022, 09:06
By putting together info bits, It does not seem realistic - Tanak to Toyota, unless they make a move with Evans or Evans him self makes the move. My bet would go to Tanak and Loeb shares 1 Puma, i.e., Tanak takes 2023 as regrouping year, waits out on all the development glitches on R1 cars and comes back in 2024 - when situation should be more clear with manufacturers, including that it is very doubtfull that MSport could continue in this low-budget style long term - makes no business sense (in the light of Fiesta news).

AnttiL
16th November 2022, 09:07

With a car not capable of anything anymore and close to no testing

Eli
16th November 2022, 09:12
Hopefully this time the history will not repeat. Must be a 2-year contract just like with Citroën, but they stopped after the 1st year.

Hopefully history won’t repeat itself and we also won't see Hyundai pulling the plug after 2023.

1988senna
16th November 2022, 09:15

or

If Loubet share the car with Ogier, then it could be

Rovanpera
Evans
Loubet +Ogier
Katsuta

or

Rovanpera
Tanak
Loubet +Ogier
Katsuta

So no matter how Katsuta will still be the second Toyota team driver,Can't score for the Factory Toyota

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2022, 09:17
Dirtfish podcast moots that Katsuta will be given 2023 full season in the official TGR Team (3rd car') and be nominated points scorer in events Ogier doesnt do.

AnttiL
16th November 2022, 09:24
Dirtfish podcast moots that Katsuta will be given 2023 full season in the official TGR Team (3rd car') and be nominated points scorer in events Ogier doesnt do.

Yes, we have spoken of this rumor already here before Japan

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2022, 09:32
Yes, we have spoken of this rumor already here before Japan

But this is AFTER Japan... and Katsuta being the highest Toyota and on the podium will give him more kudos with the team.

becher
16th November 2022, 10:11

Being "Lord of the flies" might be nice, but won't make you win rallies.
Being team leader at Citroen and being equal no.1 with Suninen at M Sport is not comparable and you know that. He also didn't go to M Sport, because they wanted him as team leader, but because it was his only option. He was just a "refugee" there.

mknight
16th November 2022, 11:07
Being team leader at Citroen and being equal no.1 with Suninen at M Sport is not comparable and you know that. He also didn't go to M Sport, because they wanted him as team leader, but because it was his only option. He was just a "refugee" there.

And you know that I used MSport as the extreme example of where the "have to be no.1" thinking can go.

In first place he went to Citroen cause he wanted to be no.1 there over no.3 at Toyota. When he did that Toyota was the fastest car and would win manu title that year. Citroen was the weakest of the 4 teams with a car that was clearly twitchy and worked only on a few events.

This year it is seemingly much simpler, since Hyundai while overall weaker than the Toyota has improved a lot in second part of the season and he will go from part-time to fulltime.

But still he is leaving the team that wins manu that year for a team that struggles.

seb_sh
16th November 2022, 11:28
waiting for the official announcements after we've been through all permutations three times

https://media.tenor.com/sR6tkmxxrhQAAAAd/depressed-bored.gif

bluuford
16th November 2022, 12:17
Official announcement should be today, or Friday, not too long to wait, try to hang on :P

flat_right
16th November 2022, 12:34
Official announcement should be today, or Friday, not too long to wait, try to hang on :P

About Tänak? :p

EstWRC
16th November 2022, 12:36

What about you, staying in South-Korea or moving elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluuford
16th November 2022, 12:38
About Tänak? :p

About Hyundai. About me, you need to wait ;)

Franky
16th November 2022, 12:40
About Hyundai. About me, you need to wait ;)

So Hyundai this week, Toyota next week, Bluuford Christmas?

lankey555
16th November 2022, 12:43
Did anyone watch the Nirto Rallycross at the weekend? Kris Meeke was driving and in a interview was asked what he was up to next year and said he had a chance to get back into a WRC car 😱

TypeR
16th November 2022, 12:44
So Hyundai this week, Toyota next week, Bluuford Christmas?

White and red coloured dresscode would perfectly match with Christmas time :)

Andre Oliveira
16th November 2022, 13:00
What will RedGrey do in 2023?

M-Sport WRC2 or ERC official team? :spin:

mknight
16th November 2022, 13:56
Did anyone watch the Nirto Rallycross at the weekend? Kris Meeke was driving and in a interview was asked what he was up to next year and said he had a chance to get back into a WRC car ��

I keep hearing that and keep wondering who in their right mind would hire him.
Toyota in 2019 was a bit of a shock in itself after he got kicked from Citroen for crashing. Then his crashes lost Toyota the title and he hasn't driven anything but 2-3 rallies in the 3 years since...and still managed to crash on them.

Let's see, there surely won't be lack of entertainment if he drives.
EDiT: Well it could be a tactic to send him to stress Toyotas to push and crash, but that's contrary to what Moncet said on DF. (wanting a driver that can adapt his approach)

TWRC
16th November 2022, 14:12
I keep hearing that and keep wondering who in their right mind would hire him.
Toyota in 2019 was a bit of a shock in itself after he got kicked from Citroen for crashing. Then his crashes lost Toyota the title and he hasn't driven anything but 2-3 rallies in the 3 years since...and still managed to crash on them.

Let's see, there surely won't be lack of entertainment if he drives.
EDiT: Well it could be a tactic to send him to stress Toyotas to push and crash, but that's contrary to what Moncet said on DF. (wanting a driver that can adapt his approach)
Sadly I think he would crash before the targets are pushed into doing a mistake.

seb_sh
16th November 2022, 15:00
https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/1592837982603849730?t=njlPZ4YykjSc-LaFP534jA&s=19

dimviii
16th November 2022, 15:05
What about you, staying in South-Korea or moving elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defintely red and white colors i understood.

focus206
16th November 2022, 15:30
https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/1592837982603849730?t=njlPZ4YykjSc-LaFP534jA&s=19

if anything, that is a big hint Ott is not going to M-Sport. Not subtle enough, so he must be trolling a bit :D

1988senna
16th November 2022, 15:40
if anything, that is a big hint Ott is not going to M-Sport. Not subtle enough, so he must be trolling a bit :D

why you thinks it hint it's not msport??

seb_sh
16th November 2022, 15:46

Squeezing the last drops of the silly season :D

dimviii
16th November 2022, 16:12
Bruno Thiry finished his last rally with Thierry Neuville and Martijn Wydaeghe with a victory. The opener of the Belgian duo bows out after ten years of collaboration with the pilot. "We consider that this rally was the most difficult of the year, very winding, very slow. The road conditions were dirty due to the bad weather of the last few weeks. Thierry and Martijn were at the top of their game, they twirled in difficult conditions. Why am I stopping? At some point, you have to know how to turn the page, I've been working with Thierry for ten years. They were good years."

https://www.rtbf.be/article/bruno-thiry-quitte-thierry-neuville-sur-une-bonne-note-de-tres-belles-annees-11103505

focus206
16th November 2022, 16:17
why you thinks it hint it's not msport??

Because the "hint" Gerard is giving is too obvious, with all those Estonian flags. He would be basically admitting Ott is going to M-Sport and I don't see a world champion being unofficially announced like that, in some funny tweet.
But I hope to be wrong, as I'd like to see Ott in M-Sport.

Andre Oliveira
16th November 2022, 17:01
Pirelli contract finish when? RMC 2023 still have that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhtFpDdXwAItPYL?format=jpg&name=medium

Andre Oliveira
16th November 2022, 17:05
WRC3 Junior (JWRC) in Monte-Carlo 2023?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhtFZVmX0AEVE3c?format=jpg&name=large

AnttiL
16th November 2022, 17:29
Pirelli contract finish when? RMC 2023 still have that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhtFpDdXwAItPYL?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/news-archive/wrc/pirelli-wins-wrc-tyre-tender/

Four year deal so 2023 and 2024 still.

WRCStan
16th November 2022, 17:57
WRC3 Junior (JWRC) in Monte-Carlo 2023?

Possibly WRC3 Junior becomes WRC2 Junior style, any round and open to all juniors; and they bring back JWRC on top.

Andre Oliveira
16th November 2022, 19:27
Makes sense. No more WRC2 Masters? It was good in 2022.

TypeR
16th November 2022, 19:37
Makes sense. No more WRC2 Masters? It was good in 2022.
WRC2 Masters a good thing? Nobody knows these hobby drivers.. except Miele who now was brought up and happened to be in WRC top10

AnttiL
16th November 2022, 19:48
WRC2 Masters a good thing? Nobody knows these hobby drivers.. except Miele who now was brought up and happened to be in WRC top10

Nobody knows Freddy Loix? :D

Well, it was still quite irrelevant series...

WRCStan
16th November 2022, 19:55
Still got more entries than combined WRC3.

PLuto
16th November 2022, 20:00
With idea of "masters" category we have came few years ago in ERC. Idea was to have dedicated category for "lets say gentleman" drivers, who should be able to fight between each other for the trophy including all media coverage. I think in ERC it should have a sense as there is time and place to promoter it. In WRC it is in shadow of all other categories, everybody is interested only in WRC/Rally1 cars, also WRC2 in basic is in a shadow. Almost nobody cares about WRC2 Masters. And result of our proposal? It was refused by FIA to be brought as WRC2 Masters later...

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2022, 22:20

How about his next tweet....
https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/1593015248079900673?s=20&t=ve8-eIIGfGFDafBCyw5hgw

AndersX
16th November 2022, 22:59
https://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/1593015248079900673?s=20&t=ve8-eIIGfGFDafBCyw5hgw

Could it be that MSport becomes one of Martin/Tanak duos new business projects?It is doubtful that MW has found the new title sponsor who would pay for this. Tanaks going to MS without a pay should be considered as an investment.

focus206
17th November 2022, 00:09

Troll master Gerard Quinn? :D

1988senna
17th November 2022, 00:23
Troll master Gerard Quinn? :D

who's this Gerard Quinn ? sorry for not very familiar with this master

skarderud
17th November 2022, 04:52
M-sport's business these days is probably nothing close the good years like 10 years ago, i don't know how much money RedGrey has, is it possible they have buyed a share of M-sport?

Both Tänak and Märtin looking at the business side of theire doings, both has probably good relations to MW also, maybe this is not farfetched?

TWRC
17th November 2022, 05:59
who's this Gerard Quinn ? sorry for not very familiar with this master
He was senior manager in Ford Motorsport/Performance Europe. I believe he retired about 2 years ago.

rallyfiend
17th November 2022, 07:28
He was senior manager in Ford Motorsport/Performance Europe. I believe he retired about 2 years ago.

He barely knew his arse from his elbow when he was actually with Ford, can't imagine much has changed now that he's long gone...

MartinH3000
17th November 2022, 07:56
Breen and M-Sport split
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/breen-bids-farewell-to-m-sport-ford/

seb_sh
17th November 2022, 08:11
Breen and M-Sport split
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/breen-bids-farewell-to-m-sport-ford/

I suppose a driver is returning to MSport, let's see which one ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
17th November 2022, 08:38
Rumour growing...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhwSUx5WIAE37ds?format=jpg&name=large

spyros
17th November 2022, 08:42
Its definetely Tanak goes to Msport but if Loubet goes to Toyota maybe Ogier returns to Msport, so it will be a legendary team with two Sebs.

AnttiL
17th November 2022, 09:14
Its definetely Tanak goes to Msport but if Loubet goes to Toyota maybe Ogier returns to Msport, so it will be a legendary team with two Sebs.

Yeah, Ogier-Loeb-Tänak at M-Sport :D :D :D :D

EstWRC
17th November 2022, 09:45
Gerard is on the roll since yesterday. Lol https://twitter.com/wrcgerardquinn/status/1593183939061256192?s=46&t=K6KvMt65Yo7sxmrtVycIVA

flat_right
17th November 2022, 09:52
Guys, please tell me! Does he know something or just trolling? :D

jcevc
17th November 2022, 09:56
Guys, please tell me! Does he know something or just trolling? :D

maybe both :D

Rallyest
17th November 2022, 10:03
Rumour growing...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhwSUx5WIAE37ds?format=jpg&name=large

Best picture of the season