PDA

View Full Version : 2023 WRC News & Rumours

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

drive
15th December 2022, 12:52
Loubet confirmed in the second Puma
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/m-sport-confirms-full-time-drive-for-new-duo/

Rallyest
15th December 2022, 12:57
Loubet confirmed in the second Puma
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/m-sport-confirms-full-time-drive-for-new-duo/

Really great news, i hope he can take the next step this year, he should be used to with the car now, and if he can and is willing to learn from Ott, and Ott is there to aid him i think he will do very well.

mknight
15th December 2022, 15:03
It works in 2021 and at the beginning of 2022, the young Toksport bunch was not reliable enough to bet all on them against Rossel, Suninen or potentially Ostberg. But as Toksport now has a driver with Rally1 experience (Lindholm) who can be considered as a reliable driver for Rally2, they don’t need anymore Mikkelsen whose WRC experience was hiding a bit the quality of the car in winning. As Mikkelsen doesn’t want to pay to drive, they know the risk is very low to see him as a competitor in 2023. Only risk Skoda takes in my opinion, now that Mikkelsen has missed Rally1 opportunity, is that Mikkelsen is hired by Toyota to help to develop the Rally2 car (if his Skoda contract was not including a non-competition clause, which is possible though because Mikkelsen had some early exit option to join Rally1 so probably there were some counterparts).
It is just an hypothesis but it’s how I see what happened between Skoda and Mikkelsen and I think the Hyundai stuff is not really linked with it (we know for a couple of months about Hyundai having cheated Mikkelsen so Skoda could have took him back).

I digress on Skoda having reliable drivers now. Lindholm was first in the finish of a single rally this year and even there he wasn't fastest. Had fancy moments both in Spain and Japan when he "just" had to drive to finish. He only beat Mikkelsen who effectively had 2 less rallies by a few points and could have also lost to Kajo.
Solberg has similarly only been fastest Rally2 at the finish of a WRC rally once.

Suninen and Rossel are a real and tough competition. Maybe Paddon as well if he gets a program.

So Skoda could risk not winning the title with a new car, something I am quite sure they aim for. On top of that they also potentially risk him going to Toyota to develop the new car.

skarderud
15th December 2022, 15:10
Yes, if Toyota ends up with Mikkelsen develop theire Rally2, that was probably not in Skodas plans.
Give him some Rally1 drives too, to keep him warm.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

dimviii
15th December 2022, 17:03
NEUVILLE ENTERS RACE OF CHAMPIONS FOR FIRST TIME
HYUNDAI'S WRC LEADER WILL TAKE PART IN THE ICE AND SNOW EVENT NEXT YEAR

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/neuville-enters-race-of-champions-for-first-time/

RS
15th December 2022, 21:06
But as Toksport now has a driver with Rally1 experience (Lindholm) who can be considered as a reliable driver for Rally2..

You mean Solberg?

wyler
16th December 2022, 09:22
from ita and french media, delocour was supposed to contest monte with puma, but car is no more available.

info come from a social post directly from delecour, that was cancelled soon after, so maybe there's still hope?

supposed livery in the article:
https://www.rallye-sport.fr/f-delecour-etait-proche-de-rouler-en-puma-au-monte-carlo/

AMSS
16th December 2022, 09:41
Yes, if Toyota ends up with Mikkelsen develop theire Rally2, that was probably not in Skodas plans.
Give him some Rally1 drives too, to keep him warm.

According to Finnish Magazine Vauhdin Maailma reigning Finnish Champion Mikko Heikkilä has been hired to do the development testing for Toyota Rally 2

Danny0405
16th December 2022, 10:04
According to Finnish Magazine Vauhdin Maailma reigning Finnish Champion Mikko Heikkilä has been hired to do the development testing for Toyota Rally 2

Good driver with some good speed, not too much works-oriented (to avoid VW mistake of a too complex car for common client), we can understand the pros of taking a local one but his experience in Rally2 is not that big (3 years and around 30 rallies, still reasonable) and over all, his experience outside Finland (and a couple of Baltic rallies) is extremely weak (less than 5 rallies with no big result).

Probably they will try to target a lot the Nordic countries but they should at least hire a Central Europa or Southern Europa counterpart (especially about tarmac) to have a more versatile vision and there are some interesting drivers not linked to any brand today and with some good Rally2/R5 experience (Nil Solans or Eric Camilli for example); it’s what Skoda did for example with a variety of drivers taken in the test (Mikkelsen, Lindholm) even if they had for sure one lead test driver (Meeke).

Sulland
16th December 2022, 10:12

Toyota need more than one for that job, and one that knows the newest Skoda Rally2 as well.

rp
16th December 2022, 10:15
Good driver with some good speed, not too much works-oriented (to avoid VW mistake of a too complex car for common client), we can understand the pros of taking a local one but his experience in Rally2 is not that big (3 years and around 30 rallies, still reasonable) and over all, his experience outside Finland (and a couple of Baltic rallies) is extremely weak (less than 5 rallies with no big result).

Probably they will try to target a lot the Nordic countries but they should at least hire a Central Europa or Southern Europa counterpart to have a more versatile vision and there are some interesting drivers not linked to any brand today and with some good Rally2/R5 experience (Nil Solans or Eric Camilli for example); it’s what Skoda did for example with a variety of drivers taken in the test (Mikkelsen, Lindholm) even if they had for sure one lead test driver (Meeke).

Juho Hänninen is their main test driver and almost sure that also Toyota´s Rally1 drivers will drive some testing. Still have to say that Mikkelsen or Huttunen would have been better than Heikkilä, because he is lacking the experience.

AMSS
16th December 2022, 10:20
Juho Hänninen is their main test driver and almost sure that also Toyota´s Rally1 drivers will drive some testing. Still have to say that Mikkelsen or Huttunen would have been better than Heikkilä, because he is lacking the experience.

Well it didn`t state that he was the only one hired for testing, just that he was hired. So they can hire 10 more as well if they want

rp
16th December 2022, 10:26
Well it didn`t state that he was the only one hired for testing, just that he was hired. So they can hire 10 more as well if they want

That´s true. Also Nikara and Latvala are available from their own staff.

Danny0405
16th December 2022, 10:28

I know about Hanninen always making the first job on the new Toyota cars but, even if he has more experience, he is now too much outdated to be alone to do the job (2 years since his last drive, 5 years since his last serious campaign and 10 years since his last RC2 drive).
It’s a bit like Meeke (and even worse), he can be in the process, he can make the very first tests after producing the test car but they need some current drivers to help to the development and give an opinion compared with current cars in race conditions. It’s what Skoda did with Mikkelsen and Lindholm.

About other names than Heikkila, issue may be about the contracts for the Skoda drivers; Lindholm is probably backed by Skoda, even partially, this year so impossible to hire him now; and for Mikkelsen and Meeke, to be seen if they have not signed a non-competition clause or stuff like that forbidding them to do the same job for another brand during 1 or 2 years maybe?
And Huttunen, well, his last experiences in development were not that convincing even if, yeah, he is more versatile so he would have been more interesting.
And as said above, Toyota may hire at least one other guy to complete the view on it.

ouvreur
16th December 2022, 12:09
I know about Hanninen always making the first job on the new Toyota cars but, even if he has more experience, he is now too much outdated to be alone to do the job (2 years since his last drive, 5 years since his last serious campaign and 10 years since his last RC2 drive).
It’s a bit like Meeke (and even worse), he can be in the process, he can make the very first tests after producing the test car but they need some current drivers to help to the development and give an opinion compared with current cars in race conditions. It’s what Skoda did with Mikkelsen and Lindholm.

While it makes sense to get a few different opinions, and it doesn't hurt to have current competitors / the next bright young thing driving your test car, what you're saying about Hanninen being 'outdated' is (and I'm trying to be polite here) absolute garbage.

In fact, the best riposte to that is two words: Lasse Lampi. He only ever achieved a single podium at WRC level, but is widely renowned to be one of the greatest test and development drivers of all time.

Did his last full season in 1994, but worked full-time well into the 2020s with WRC teams, either as a test driver, consultant, adviser, test road selector... he's one of the reasons Mitsubishi / Makinen won as much as they did.

A lack of recent competitive experience does not mean a driver can't test and develop a car properly. Having a lot of recent competitive experience does not mean a driver CAN test and develop a car properly (cough Citroen C3 WRC cough).

And last point - some manufacturers spend too much time worrying about what their competitors cars can or can't do, what their opposition is or isn't doing, rather than concentrating on just making the best damn car they're capable of. I expect Toyota won't fall into that trap.

Danny0405
16th December 2022, 12:29
While it makes sense to get a few different opinions, and it doesn't hurt to have current competitors / the next bright young thing driving your test car, what you're saying about Hanninen being 'outdated' is (and I'm trying to be polite here) absolute garbage.

I stay totally on my position; a driver with good experience but outside of the game since too long can make the beginning development job and a lot of mileage but you absolutely need an updated driver in the final year phase of the development to have a comparison against competition with a clear updated user-oriented view.
And you can say whatever you want about ‘garbage stuff’, all the teams that work correctly work like this; take M-Sport for example: Matthew Wilson is their equivalent of Lampi for the beginning work but they always then puts another updated driver to test it at the same place (Tanak in 2016; Fourmaux in 2021).
Toyota in Rally1 same stuff: Hanninen made the beginning job last year and then, through half-season, Evans and Rovanpera began their tests.
Skoda: Meeke makes the development but then, they take Mikkelsen and Lindholm in addition.

It’s always like this and it’s logical: a driver in competition cannot free his calendar to make enough mileage to
So the teams hire a driver available with no competition to make this work and this mileage first:
- Hanninen in 2013 for Hyundai and 2015 for Toyota
- Meeke for Skoda last 2 years
- Matthew Wilson historically for M-Sport

And then in the final phase when you are needing the details, you take some other drivers more updated to test:
- your own drivers for RC1 team
- Mikkelsen and Lindholm for Skoda

And when you don’t, you’re often forced to hire a new one after 6 months of competition because the car is not developed enough: it’s what happened to Citroen to hire Ostberg and to Hyundai to hire Suninen.

I’m not saying Hanninen is useless; I’m saying you cannot develop a 2024 client-oriented car to compete Fabia RS with just Hanninen. To sum up, he can do 90% of the job but you absolutely need someone else to take the 10% that makes the difference with the other cars.
And it’s even more important for a client-oriented car because you must have some people thinking as a client and not as a professional driver.

Andre Oliveira
16th December 2022, 22:12
http://www.areacorse.com/mikkelsen-in-puma/?fbclid=IwAR07aT4eE2wEfBYxRS9IlZPISo24eH3lflkVar72 gAti8WQLZQFpcxu3ktc

seb_sh
16th December 2022, 22:33
http://www.areacorse.com/mikkelsen-in-puma/?fbclid=IwAR07aT4eE2wEfBYxRS9IlZPISo24eH3lflkVar72 gAti8WQLZQFpcxu3ktc

Now that would be something, doubt it, but would be something.

macebig
17th December 2022, 06:55
Possible in case Loeb can't make it from Dakar and RB wants to keep in good spirits with M Sport and Ford.

EstWRC
17th December 2022, 06:57

So according to this Tänak will be also supported by Red Bull?

bandit12
17th December 2022, 07:09
I randomly quote Richard Hammond here: they're Italian, they're just lying

mknight
17th December 2022, 07:10
Mikkelsen was testing RedBull Dakar buggy in Abu Dhabi just a week ago. Think it was the same one he drove last year as a last minute replacement.

rallyfiend
17th December 2022, 09:41
With no Skoda and seemingly no Ford options, I wonder if we'll see Andreas at all in 2023....

traxx
17th December 2022, 16:07
New regulation here :
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/wrcsr_2023_2022_12_15_green_highlights_0.pdf

- Confirmation of 21 days of test for each team
- Service for retired car (rally2) to 4h can be splited in 2 sections
- Penality for each stage missed due to hybrid system issue : 2min instead of 10min

TypeR
17th December 2022, 16:30
That testing day cutting is so fking stupid, no wonder new teams don't want to join.
If teams have gone to testing places already, then let them test for extra 1-2 days ffs.

Rather check the thousands of kms of liaisons driver for 2km SSS etc.

Testing days are the only place where teams can check and set thing right during the season.

I would recommend that only 1 engine per season and 10 tires per rally.

rallyfiend
17th December 2022, 21:44
That testing day cutting is so fking stupid, no wonder new teams don't want to join.
If teams have gone to testing places already, then let them test for extra 1-2 days ffs.

Rather check the thousands of kms of liaisons driver for 2km SSS etc.

Testing days are the only place where teams can check and set thing right during the season.

I would recommend that only 1 engine per season and 10 tires per rally.

They can still test all they like at their permanent test base.

This is a restriction that can only help to bring things closer competitively.

mknight
17th December 2022, 21:47
Comparing costs of test days with liason kms in one post is as ridiculous as it gets.

Sulland
18th December 2022, 07:43
[QUOTE=rallyfiend;1315240]With no Skoda and seemingly no Ford options, I wonder if we'll see Andreas at all in 2023....[/QUOT

Maybe ERC and desert rally, or maybe ERC + rallycross?

skarderud
18th December 2022, 14:29
A swedish site "motorbloggen" claims "sources" says Greensmith looks to the 4th yaris , and Mikkelsen is possible in msports 3rd car?

skarderud
18th December 2022, 21:32
Regards Mikkelsen vs M-sport.
If Loeb do 3-4 rallies, Mikkelsen can do the rest, both in RB livery.
And, most important business wise for M-sport, he knows better than anyone in M-sport what they need in theire Rally2 car.

PLuto
18th December 2022, 22:33
he knows better than anyone in M-sport what they need in theire Rally2 car

This is very easy - they need to do ANY development...

EstWRC
19th December 2022, 19:31
Latvala confirming that Greensmith has been in contact

https://www-rallit-fi.translate.goog/jari-matti-latvala-paljasti-fordilta-tuttu-wrc-kuski-kysellyt-toyotaa-ensi-vuodeksi-voin-olla-sen-verran-rehellinen/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=et&_x_tr_pto=wapp

mknight
19th December 2022, 19:36
Dirtfish says it is unlikely:

"He has had discussions with Toyota about driving a customer Yaris GR Rally1 car this year, but DirtFish understands it’s looking increasingly unlikely that switch will come to fruition."

I find it unlikely Greensmith will sit at home whole year, dont think they ran out of cash.

Next one in the seemingly endless line of new Fabia drivers?

seb_sh
19th December 2022, 19:41
The most amazing thing is DF put all that info into 1 article. They could have easily made 5 or 6 articles out of it. (Loeb, Serderidis, Greensmith etc)

abcrally
20th December 2022, 07:19
Dirtfish says it is unlikely:

"He has had discussions with Toyota about driving a customer Yaris GR Rally1 car this year, but DirtFish understands it’s looking increasingly unlikely that switch will come to fruition."

I find it unlikely Greensmith will sit at home whole year, dont think they ran out of cash.

Next one in the seemingly endless line of new Fabia drivers?

We might get some news on this rather sooner than later.

TypeR
20th December 2022, 13:59
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/greensmith-parts-ways-with-m-sport-ford/

An announcement from the British squad confirmed it could not reach an agreement with Greensmith to enable him to continue behind the wheel of one of its Puma cars, meaning both parties will go their separate ways in 2023.

Lead
20th December 2022, 14:08
Now give Mikkelsen a Puma in Monte-Carlo and Sweden to see if he has something left. He would be great back up for Tanak.

abcrally
20th December 2022, 14:16
Now give Mikkelsen a Puma in Monte-Carlo and Sweden to see if he has something left. He would be great back up for Tanak.

They won't give a Puma for free and Mikkelsen don't want to pay for the drive so..

What I heard Skoda has cut their budget and there won't be as good deal for Mikkelsen as it used to be.

Andre Oliveira
20th December 2022, 15:10
How many times people have to read that “3 Puma at MC, Tänak, Loubet and Serderidis.” to stop dreaming?

Danny0405
20th December 2022, 15:43
They won't give a Puma for free and Mikkelsen don't want to pay for the drive so..

What I heard Skoda has cut their budget and there won't be as good deal for Mikkelsen as it used to be.

Clearly think it’s a mistake this time from Mikkelsen not to study the option of finding backing for 5-6 rounds in the 3rd M-Sport.
In 2020, I understand his position (recently fired, Covid, 2017 experience where he found quickly a job...) all the more than M-Sport had Lappi and Suninen.
In 2021, he was right not to pay when we know M-Sport would completely cut costs in the last year of the regulation.

But, here, if he does not move, his career at top level is as good as dead and he can anticipate his future by looking at Ostberg (nothing infamous about it, just that Ostberg knows he’s over for top level). This silly season has shown the teams prioritize over all the knowledge of Rally1 car: Breen has obtained the job against Mikkelsen like this in spite of a bad season and Toyota decides to promote Katsuta in spite of a bit lack of progress in peak performance (even if he is very regular).

Already 3 years outside of the top level (no driver except Loeb succeeds to come back efficiently after a big stint out of top level), no knowledge of Rally1 car at all (so not a competitive advantage against some youngsters), Skoda having already its plans for the season and not keen on doing him a big offer like in the past ... if he doesn’t try now, it’s over.
Then, if he failed to find the backing, it’s over ... but he would have tried at least.
Well, maybe he is hoping Sordo to become too old or Breen to stay in his 2022 mood or Tanak to leave M-Sport as soon as the end of the season but it’s a very passive view of it IMO.

Managarium
20th December 2022, 15:47
WRR - World Rally Ranking (Facebook page)

Mikkelsen in Puma M-Sport for Rallyes Montecarlo and Sweden???
Spanish motorsports website has reported that Mikkelsen will be drafted in to the M-Sport team for the first two rounds of the 2023 World Rally Championship. With Fourmaux confirmed in WRC2, and Tänak and Loubet both set to do full seasons in the Puma, Mikkelsen might be a good choice as a strong points scorer.

Andre Oliveira
20th December 2022, 15:48
Same rumour shared by multiples pages will not make it true.

macebig
20th December 2022, 16:27
Think M-Sport still has something up its sleeve. They wouldn't turn down Delecour and deny Greensmith a start without something else planned. Having Puma chassis sitting in Cumbria doesn't help the team or the business in any way. We will see...

wyler
20th December 2022, 18:13
Think M-Sport still has something up its sleeve. They wouldn't turn down Delecour and deny Greensmith a start without something else planned. Having Puma chassis sitting in Cumbria doesn't help the team or the business in any way. We will see...

actually, it can help if you have to focus on the main driver: keeping the money, the spare parts, and the mechanics, avoiding reliability issues happened in the past 'cause with 5 cars to handle the work were less sharp.

lmmjvss
20th December 2022, 18:34
Not about WRC but this was a really fun reading, to see the guys from "Hyundai" so happy with American Motorsport...
It got me interested in taking a bigger look at ARA in '23.... I havent seen much, just some Pastrana vs Block drama and thats it...
https://dirtfish.com/rally/ara/the-wrc-team-with-a-new-found-love-for-the-ara/

seb_sh
20th December 2022, 18:40
I like to rag on Dirtfish but even I admit they have been spot on with the rumors this silly season and they said Tanak, Loubet, Serderidis for Monte.

The Manufacturer's title is not the target and is Mikkelsen really a driver that can be just behind Tanak but in front of Rovanpera, Ogier, Neuville? I don't think so... I think that they simply don't need Mikkelsen so he has to pay like any customer.

mknight
20th December 2022, 19:06
I like to rag on Dirtfish but even I admit they have been spot on with the rumors this silly season and they said Tanak, Loubet, Serderidis for Monte.

The Manufacturer's title is not the target and is Mikkelsen really a driver that can be just behind Tanak but in front of Rovanpera, Ogier, Neuville? I don't think so... I think that they simply don't need Mikkelsen so he has to pay like any customer.

Who can be regularly ahead of Rovanpera, Ogier and Neuville? Not even Tanak can.

Mikkelsen can and has been ahead of Ogier and Neuville on multiple WRC events, even in his last season in 2019 where he did it on about half of his starts.

So if aiming for manus or just for drivers title with Tanak and needing a support driver he is clearly the best choice available at the moment.

I highly doubt it is going to happen, but have to say that Greensmith leaving really surprised me.

WRCStan
20th December 2022, 19:18
Same rumour shared by multiples pages will not make it true.

So no Monster M-Sport WRT with Solberg?

seb_sh
20th December 2022, 20:12
Who can be regularly ahead of Rovanpera, Ogier and Neuville? Not even Tanak can.

Mikkelsen can and has been ahead of Ogier and Neuville on multiple WRC events, even in his last season in 2019 where he did it on about half of his starts.

So if aiming for manus or just for drivers title with Tanak and needing a support driver he is clearly the best choice available at the moment.

I highly doubt it is going to happen, but have to say that Greensmith leaving really surprised me.

The only support driver that has ever done anything decisive in the past 20 years was Sordo at Citroen for Loeb against Hirvonen and Gronholm at Ford. I checked :p The support driver thing is overrated, it was never a thing in rally. Name any champion, they drove for themselves and won their points against their rivals. It's even less helpful now because all drivers are forced to use the same diff. So if they need a different feel you're screwed. It's probably part of Evans' issues at Toyota. Blame the FIA and the promoter. I'd love to see Mikkelsen in a Rally1 but in this context I would ask for money if I was owner of MSport too...

AnttiL
21st December 2022, 06:24

I usually like your posts but this was a bit ridiculous...

denkimi
21st December 2022, 09:07
actually, it can help if you have to focus on the main driver: keeping the money, the spare parts, and the mechanics, avoiding reliability issues happened in the past 'cause with 5 cars to handle the work were less sharp.
If your business is selling and renting cars you're not going to save money by not doing that.
Greensmith driving was making m-sport a profit, otherwise he wouldn't have been there. So him not being there just hurts the team and thus also tanak.

wyler
21st December 2022, 09:50
If your business is selling and renting cars you're not going to save money by not doing that.
Greensmith driving was making m-sport a profit, otherwise he wouldn't have been there. So him not being there just hurts the team and thus also tanak.

there's not only the wrc team in this business. they have a bunch of sales in lesser categories (especially rally3 atm) and other disciplines (track, dakar). consider for '23 they have a paid rally2 program with 2/3 cars, a partially funded second drive and a full-paying third drive in wrc. greensmith 3rd car profit is just replaced by others paying more.
could they profit more with other rentals? maybe. would the management cost of those extra rentals worth the profit? presumably not.

add in the mix they decided to invest in a top driver, and probably the business model for '23 is to start with 3 cars in wrc and a wrc2 program.
the '22 model to have all the possible car rented, went bad with crash/reliability and finished with a 2 car round, and some renters not happy (huttunen i.e)

J4MIE
21st December 2022, 10:29
In case anyone hadn’t noticed, entries closed for Monte last week. There’s no chance for anyone extra to do it now.

PLuto
21st December 2022, 11:26
In case anyone hadn’t noticed, entries closed for Monte last week. There’s no chance for anyone extra to do it now.

Until the entry list is published, there is always a chance. Especially as the FIA entry system had some issues and started working only two days before closing date for entries...

EstWRC
22nd December 2022, 14:43
Lappi: Toyota and Hyundai “pretty equal” after first i20 N WRC test

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/lappi-toyota-and-hyundai-pretty-equal-after-first-i20-n-wrc-test/10413898/

mknight
22nd December 2022, 18:56
I usually like your posts but this was a bit ridiculous...

Everything I wrote is technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

Mikkelsen just ahead of Ogier: Argentina, Finland Germany (not counting Sweden and Sardinia where Ogier crashed)
Ahead of Neuville: Sardinia, Finland (and Turkey where Neuville had an off).

Number of starts: 10
Number of rallies ahead of Ogier or Neuville : 4 (so about half of starts)

Original claim was that Mikkelsen can't finish just ahead of Ogier or Neuville, which was not correct.

------

In almost all years from 2017 to 2021 the drivers who didn't win lost some points to drivers from the team of the champion. That the points difference at the end of the year was bigger than that number doesn't mean it didn't matter. Drivers (and Ogier in particular) adapt their approach during last few rallies to secure title. While those who are behind risk more.

---
Anyway I agree that nobody is likely to hire a driver "just" to support the one going for title. Even Lappi at Citroen wasn't there just for that, he ended in that kind of role cause he was signed before Ogier.

But if MSport were looking for a driver to do that and try to get some good results otherwise then there is no doubt Mikkelsen and Loeb are the only choices right now. Loeb is seemingly more limited in number of starts he could do. After this year MSport are more than aware how result might look like when you only have one competetive driver who runs into technical issues or retires.

I am a bit perplexed by MSport right now. With Tanak and Loubet it seemed automatic that they would keep Greensmith. Now it's neither money (Greensmith) nor better results (Mikkelsen).
Did they ask for more money from Greensmith?

mknight
22nd December 2022, 19:00
Lappi: Toyota and Hyundai “pretty equal” after first i20 N WRC test

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/lappi-toyota-and-hyundai-pretty-equal-after-first-i20-n-wrc-test/10413898/

Only measure is stage times.

C3 had been great on all tests.

AnttiL
22nd December 2022, 22:16

Mikkelsen just ahead of Ogier: Argentina, Finland Germany (not counting Sweden and Sardinia where Ogier crashed)

Original claim was that Mikkelsen can't finish just ahead of Ogier or Neuville, which was not correct.

Germany was only because Ogier had a puncture. In fact, Neuville had a puncture as well but still finished ahead of Mikkelsen. I admit that Mikkelsen's best moments were the three other rallies, the last day fight against Evans in Sardinia, good pace in Finland on a Hyundai and runner-up in Argentina. But outside these it was not a good season, and 2018 was mostly not good either.

seb_sh
22nd December 2022, 22:29

------

In almost all years from 2017 to 2021 the drivers who didn't win lost some points to drivers from the team of the champion. That the points difference at the end of the year was bigger than that number doesn't mean it didn't matter. Drivers (and Ogier in particular) adapt their approach during last few rallies to secure title. While those who are behind risk more.

---
Anyway I agree that nobody is likely to hire a driver "just" to support the one going for title. Even Lappi at Citroen wasn't there just for that, he ended in that kind of role cause he was signed before Ogier.

But if MSport were looking for a driver to do that and try to get some good results otherwise then there is no doubt Mikkelsen and Loeb are the only choices right now. Loeb is seemingly more limited in number of starts he could do. After this year MSport are more than aware how result might look like when you only have one competetive driver who runs into technical issues or retires.

I am a bit perplexed by MSport right now. With Tanak and Loubet it seemed automatic that they would keep Greensmith. Now it's neither money (Greensmith) nor better results (Mikkelsen).
Did they ask for more money from Greensmith?

Germany was only because Ogier had a puncture. In fact, Neuville had a puncture as well but still finished ahead of Mikkelsen. I admit that Mikkelsen's best moments were the three other rallies, the last day fight against Evans in Sardinia, good pace in Finland on a Hyundai and runner-up in Argentina. But outside these it was not a good season, and 2018 was mostly not good either.

Short interlude, this is the kind of discussion i come here for, kudos to mknight for doing the research and posting some facts even if not everything backed him up. You guys are good people! I prepared something like a christmas present for you with which we can all have some fun with in 2023 in addition to but not replacing the pickems and crystall ball, I wanted to post it today but sadly my mother broke her ankle and needed to be operated on to set the bones right and I'm a bit stressed and busy about that. On the good side the surgeon said she can make a full recovery. I wish everyone happy holidays!

Danny0405
23rd December 2022, 00:14
About the Mikkelsen/Loeb debate, I think a lot of M-Sport’s thoughts is about «*do one of them worth to spend money if they don’t bring a full budget?*»:

- about Loeb, the question is yes without a doubt on a pure performance point of view, considering what he showed in 2022; but his calendar is always an issue with his other contracts (and for sure, M-Sport wants also to grab the most possible from Red Bull).
Also, I’m clearly skeptical about Loeb in a manufacturer strategy and I think it was one of Loeb’s issues in Hyundai: IMO, he is still able to be fast sometimes but not as efficient as before (see his rookie mistake in Portugal), which is normal considering his age, and is not really adapted anymore to be a manufacturer driver; I think he is a good freelance driver (with some freedom) but doesn’t have anymore the manufacturer spirit and some of his behaviors in 2022 let me think this like in Safari and Greece (to sum up, he plays for win or nothing).
So I’m not sure at all he can bring some help to Tanak as a side driver, all the more if he does only very few stints.

- about Mikkelsen, the question is much more difficult to answer and I understand M-Sport decisions to say «*no money - no driver*» this year. Don’t forget his last RC1 rallye was in 2019 and he never drove in Rally1. In addition to that, I wouldn’t overrate too much his 2019 performance because as I said before (comparing to Evans’ 2019 season for example), a part of it is clearly explained by road position with an excellent strategy by Adamo (let’s recognize it here) about which rallies to miss. If we take a close look on his best performances (top5) in 2019:
Sweden (4th), he was in the last ones to start even if it’s not the place it counts most
Argentina (2nd): last RC1 one to start and was only good in the afternoon of the second leg
Sardinia (3rd): probably 7th or 8th in the road and only good on the last day
Finland (4th): 7th on the road and nothing special except the last day
Turkey (3rd): 5th on the road (with Evans out)
When you take this into account, it’s rather good but nothing sensational and it was more than 3 years ago now; it’s clearly a risky move to put a money on a driver like this when you haven’t big money for a manufacturer because I’m not sure at all he can bring any help to Tanak (when you see that for example, Sordo was a bit rusty in terms of speed).

About Greensmith, IMO, he was not paying the full cost for his season as he did some marketing for the team + was in the manufacturer team; probably he paid the direct costs but not the indirect (whereas Serderidis or Bertelli are paying all) or something like that, considering especially some of Millener’s interviews. So probably for the team between running a car with him or not running a car at all, the difference is not that big and as they want to focus a lot on Tanak, it may explain some of the disagreements between Greensmith and the team for 2023 (money + test days, quality of the car, ...).
I don’t think M-Sport is giving up clients (see Serderidis and probably Bertelli) for Rally1 but they want to focus on clients paying fully for the service given. Not impossible we see Greensmith back in 2024 if Tanak leaves and they come back to the former strategy.

dimviii
23rd December 2022, 05:00
On the good side the surgeon said she can make a full recovery. I wish everyone happy holidays!
i wish fast recovery to your mom mate.
Happy holidays to all members!

AnttiL
23rd December 2022, 07:55
About Greensmith, IMO, he was not paying the full cost for his season as he did some marketing for the team + was in the manufacturer team; probably he paid the direct costs but not the indirect (whereas Serderidis or Bertelli are paying all) or something like that, considering especially some of Millener’s interviews.

Yes, definitely it seemed like they believed in Greensmith's development and wanted to invest in him, but maybe there was a target like he needs to get first podium or something. Maybe it would have been a more normal customer program price for 2023?

fiscorpun
24th December 2022, 17:17
What are the chances of middle east rich teams entering WRC, buying cars from all 3* manufacturers? Where FIA president to go after those SHAKES and "hey, run four teams in WRC with your names in it. Lots of rally stars without a ride"
Cmoon Ben

WRCStan
24th December 2022, 23:51
What are the chances of middle east rich teams entering WRC, buying cars from all 3* manufacturers? Where FIA president to go after those SHAKES and "hey, run four teams in WRC with your names in it. Lots of rally stars without a ride"
Cmoon Ben

Don't drink and post folks.

Sulland
25th December 2022, 08:55
Cmoon Ben

Sportswashing in rally is not very likely. Not enough money in rally, more likely in F1.

Gregor-y
26th December 2022, 16:49
Didn't that already happen then go away within the WRC.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th December 2022, 17:41
Didn't that already happen then go away within the WRC.

Qatar for one, with M-Sport in the early 2010's, and we all saw which sport their money went to (FIFA World Cup).

(And Abu Dhabi - from Citroen WRT - to a round of F1).

becher
26th December 2022, 18:28
Qatar for one, with M-Sport in the early 2010's, and we all saw which sport their money went to (FIFA World Cup).

The GP at the shit show track was there long before the sponsorship deal with Citroen ended.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th December 2022, 12:52
The GP at the shit show track was there long before the sponsorship deal with Citroen ended.

So it was.

Football has also been their choice. They have invested big-time in Manchester City.

EstWRC
27th December 2022, 14:58
Any news where the season opening will take place? Or every team just releases pics in online and that’s it

I really liked the Red Bull TV hosted season opening show this year

Eli
27th December 2022, 16:37
Any news where the season opening will take place? Or every team just releases pics in online and that’s it

I really liked the Red Bull TV hosted show this year

Did they cancel the Autosport show for next year? With everything that's gone on, I forgot if it's dead in the water already or if they revived it for next year.

Paul Hudson
27th December 2022, 17:34
The Autosport show is going ahead , but no mention of any WRC Launch in any show press release,

Andre Oliveira
27th December 2022, 19:23
There is no reason to use Autosport in a country without rally in calendar instead the RallyTV PPV
system.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th December 2022, 12:33
There is no reason to use Autosport in a country without rally in calendar...

Ouch ! :(

WRCStan
28th December 2022, 14:24
There is no reason to use Autosport in a country without rally in calendar instead the RallyTV PPV
system.

The whole point is to sell to a new crowd, AI has new fans and media assembled in one place. No point in having a private meeting only preaching to the converted.

Andre Oliveira
28th December 2022, 15:55
Autosport is a private event too and payed.

typhoon
28th December 2022, 19:51

Those sponsors came to WRC when the WRC itself had a way bigger impact on TV.

The championship was shown free-to-air on big markets (France, UK, Germany, etc.), the promoter back then (North One or something, right?) had a way better "Media Mix" than the one the "WRC Promoter" insist to pursuit without success, meaning that then there was much more attention on free-to-air broadcasting deals, even though they were less profitable on a contract basis.

At that time, there was free-to-air coverage in all the big markets: Sport1 (Germany), L'Equipe21 (France), RaiSport (Italy), TV3 (Spain), ESPN (UK). That was definitely more accessible than a 60$-month subscription to Sky Sport (Italy) right now!

Their only Middle-East opportunity would be Saudi Arabia if they manage to put them in the calendar, getting some global sponsorships as well. I repeat: if they manage eventually.

wyler
29th December 2022, 09:39

The championship was shown free-to-air on big markets (France, UK, Germany, etc.), the promoter back then (North One or something, right?) had a way better "Media Mix" than the one the "WRC Promoter" insist to pursuit without success, meaning that then there was much more attention on free-to-air broadcasting deals, even though they were less profitable on a contract basis.

At that time, there was free-to-air coverage in all the big markets: Sport1 (Germany), L'Equipe21 (France), RaiSport (Italy), TV3 (Spain), ESPN (UK). That was definitely more accessible than a 60$-month subscription to Sky Sport (Italy) right now!

Their only Middle-East opportunity would be Saudi Arabia if they manage to put them in the calendar, getting some global sponsorships as well. I repeat: if they manage eventually.

you sure?
ps: wrc is till aired on fta rai in italy.

rallyfiend
29th December 2022, 11:18

I don't think the TV deals in the past were better than now.

There's no way in hell the audience on L-Equipe was bigger than what's now there on Canal+.

Same in the UK. ESPN was dire compared to ITV / BT Sport as it is now.

Sulland
29th December 2022, 16:30
Today TV stations overpay for Football Premier League, Olympics, and a few world campionships. So only a few countries will get Rally on their list of stations.

typhoon
29th December 2022, 19:53
you sure?
ps: wrc is till aired on fta rai in italy.

I don't think the TV deals in the past were better than now.

There's no way in hell the audience on L-Equipe was bigger than what's now there on Canal+.

Same in the UK. ESPN was dire compared to ITV / BT Sport as it is now.

What I can tell for sure is that RAI in Italy had every Sunday a 90-mins free-to-air, live-tv coverage for each WRC event, reaching an average of 500k viewers, now it shows 20mins of highlights at 11pm with 100k viewers.

And then, at the end of the day, we can have a look at the actual broadcasters of the WRC worldwide, eventually: https://www.wrc.com/en/more/tv-guide/
Few years there were 4 deals in China only. Now except Japan and a bunch of countries, it disappeared. Something's wrong out there.

If I was in any relevant position at WRC Promoter, I would have fired the teams in charge of arranging TV deals and distribution. Their "Media Mix" plan failed. Full stop.

EstWRC
29th December 2022, 20:15
What this has to do with 2023 news and rumors?

WRCStan
29th December 2022, 21:30
Those sponsors came to WRC when

the respective drivers brought them along.

wyler
30th December 2022, 09:50
What I can tell for sure is that RAI in Italy had every Sunday a 90-mins free-to-air, live-tv coverage for each WRC event, reaching an average of 500k viewers, now it shows 20mins of highlights at 11pm with 100k viewers.

And then, at the end of the day, we can have a look at the actual broadcasters of the WRC worldwide, eventually: https://www.wrc.com/en/more/tv-guide/
Few years there were 4 deals in China only. Now except Japan and a bunch of countries, it disappeared. Something's wrong out there.

If I was in any relevant position at WRC Promoter, I would have fired the teams in charge of arranging TV deals and distribution. Their "Media Mix" plan failed. Full stop.

check the end of north one adventure before full stopping...

Rallyest
2nd January 2023, 12:02
Only measure is stage times.

C3 had been great on all tests.

To be fair, at the second half of the season there were less and less "whining" by Hyundai drivers about the performance and drivability of the car.

And from Tänak's words the reason for leaving was not so much about the car anymore but the state of the team.

So that shouldnt be much of a surprise that Hyundai is very well prepared for a new season

TypeR
2nd January 2023, 12:20
Yet somebody has to keep pushing the development..
and the weakest/funniest part is that second season is starting and they still don't have a team principal.

Rallyest
2nd January 2023, 12:41
Yet somebody has to keep pushing the development..
and the weakest/funniest part is that second season is starting and they still don't have a team principal.

Thats true, about the development.

But wasnt it confirmed that Cyril Abiteboul will be the new Team principal?

sinepikohv
4th January 2023, 08:44
Abiteboul is not confirmed. Perhaps because Capito and FXD are free men now and Hyundai want to bring them onboard?

Also, Eric Boullier was planted at Hyundai by Dirtfish and others as the new team principal too. Didn't happen though now did it.

The state of Hyundai is worrying but hopefully the new principal (if one comes, of course) will bring peace.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th January 2023, 13:55
Gus Greensmith has joined Toksport for 2023 !!

His first WRC2 event will be Rally Mexico.

TypeR
5th January 2023, 16:46
Awesome WRC2 list this year.. but on the other side it's sad that there will be one less WRC car..
Seems like this season rally1 cars won't even fill the top10 WRC points slots..

rp
5th January 2023, 19:03
Gus Greensmith has joined Toksport for 2023 !!

His first WRC2 event will be Rally Mexico.

That´s a big surprise! Was sure that Gus will drive customer Yaris Rally1.

focus206
5th January 2023, 19:38

is there even anybody interested in "renting" that Yaris?
I've read 2C Competitions was interested in a Rally1 program, but I guess they meant with a Puma...

Got Mail
5th January 2023, 19:43
I've read 2C Competitions was interested in a Rally1 program, but I guess they meant with a Puma...

Bertolli.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th January 2023, 20:06

Greensmith could still rent the Rally1 Yaris on a couple of occasions this year.

Danny0405
5th January 2023, 20:41
Bertolli.

I don’t really see the point for Bertelli to rent the Toyota instead of the Puma considering his links with M-Sport and how few rallies he does in a season now with his managerial activities in Prada increasing.

About Greensmith, as I evoked in a former thread, I’m wondering if he will not try the Kajto strategy by doing Mexico, Safari, Chile and Japan. Or maybe he does Mexico as an «*easier*» drive with few competition for his return in Rally2 and to adapt the car?

Co-driven
5th January 2023, 20:59
I don’t really see the point for Bertelli to rent the Toyota instead of the Puma considering his links with M-Sport and how few rallies he does in a season now with his managerial activities in Prada increasing.

The point: he wants to drive it.

Danny0405
5th January 2023, 21:05
The point: he wants to drive it.

Is there any source?

AnttiL
5th January 2023, 21:28
About Greensmith, as I evoked in a former thread, I’m wondering if he will not try the Kajto strategy by doing Mexico, Safari, Chile and Japan. Or maybe he does Mexico as an «*easier*» drive with few competition for his return in Rally2 and to adapt the car?

My guess is he had to choose Mexico because all cars were already taken for Monte and Sweden.

Andre Oliveira
5th January 2023, 22:27

Hyundai

Fast Eddie WRC
6th January 2023, 11:10
About Greensmith, as I evoked in a former thread, I’m wondering if he will not try the Kajto strategy by doing Mexico, Safari, Chile and Japan.

This sounds a likely strategy for Greensmith and he is able to help Toksport fund these trips.

Eli
6th January 2023, 12:03
No chance we’ll see a car being revealed today right? Have to wait for the week before Monte.

EstWRC
6th January 2023, 12:19
No chance we’ll see a car being revealed today right? Have to wait for the week before Monte.

No official season opening ceremony this year through Red Bull or someone else as we have learned but my guess is next week the teams will reveal the stuff during social media or beginning of the Monte week at least

Co-driven
6th January 2023, 12:33
Is there any source?

I've heard from a member of this forum and confirmed with some Italians. My guess (now this is pure imagination from my side) is that we will see Bertelli in a Yaris in Monte Carlo and Sweden.

But what I meant in my previous post is that Bertelli can afford renting the Yaris and if he wants he will drive it whenever it is available.

bandit12
6th January 2023, 12:46
I've heard from a member of this forum and confirmed with some Italians. My guess (now this is pure imagination from my side) is that we will see Bertelli in a Yaris in Monte Carlo and Sweden.

But what I meant in my previous post is that Bertelli can afford renting the Yaris and if he wants he will drive it whenever it is available.
Because Ogier will drive in Monte, that fourth Yaris would not be available.

seb_sh
6th January 2023, 14:32

The italians have been very wrong with rumors lately, but let's see, usually Bertelli likes to do Sweden.

mknight
6th January 2023, 19:33
This sounds a likely strategy for Greensmith and he is able to help Toksport fund these trips.

Agree. Already it looks like we will have 4+ drivers selecting events to avoid strong events of others and get own strong ones and a few picking overseas ones on top.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th January 2023, 17:23
The italians have been very wrong with rumors lately, but let's see, usually Bertelli likes to do Sweden.

They were correct this time. He is indeed renting the Yaris Rally1 for Rally Sweden.

manthey
8th January 2023, 21:03
They were correct this time. He is indeed renting the Yaris Rally1 for Rally Sweden.Good move Lorenzo

mknight
9th January 2023, 00:06
Starting to look like MSport business kinda imploded.

- "nobody" buys Rally2 car
- Rally3 getting Renault competition
- Greensmith and his money out
- Bertelli and his money out
- RedBull not wanting to pay enough for Loeb (and Fourmaux, or Mikkelsen for that matter)

All on Tanak or bust?

Rallyper
9th January 2023, 07:40
Good move Lorenzo

Well, I´d say he´s not going to be faster anyway.
Importance of Rally1 car brand is for the top drivers, not for paying gentlemen.

mknight
11th January 2023, 09:31
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-targeting-full-time-hyundai-drive-in-2024/

"BREEN TARGETING FULL-TIME HYUNDAI DRIVE IN 2024
A RETURN TO A FULL SEASON AND A MAIDEN RALLY WIN ARE AMONG HIS AIMS FOR THE YEAR"

That's some big aims and words after having the worst season of any driver I can think of the last 15 years or so. Even Duval's 2005 was better (with maiden win), yet Duval basically never drove full season for a manu afterwards.

Surely it is better PR to show he wants to improve rather than saying he just wants to keep a job. But the contrast is astonishing.

bandit12
11th January 2023, 09:43
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-targeting-full-time-hyundai-drive-in-2024/

"BREEN TARGETING FULL-TIME HYUNDAI DRIVE IN 2024
A RETURN TO A FULL SEASON AND A MAIDEN RALLY WIN ARE AMONG HIS AIMS FOR THE YEAR"

That's some big aims and words after having the worst season of any driver I can think of the last 15 years or so. Even Duval's 2005 was better (with maiden win), yet Duval basically never drove full season for a manu afterwards.

Surely it is better PR to show he wants to improve rather than saying he just wants to keep a job. But the contrast is astonishing.

in life there must be goals to strive for. without them, life would be just vegetation

typhoon
11th January 2023, 19:10
It looks like they listened to the need of having a logistic partner in the field. Ok, it's not a massive one like DHL, but there's a new sponsor on wrc.com: WSA (logistic partner for MotoGP and other top-class events). Is there any hope for the teams?

TypeR
12th January 2023, 14:22
Jeez.. these finnish journalists can't just give a break about 24/7 thinking/talking about Tanak..

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/asiantuntijalta-valitettava-ennustus-ott-tanakista-suomalaisittain-luvassa-on-todellista-nannaa-kylla-han-lyo/8610080#gs.mfkmk2

Ott Tänak loses his temper with M-Sport's car.

Ketomaa: To lose. My guess is that unfortunately it will be difficult to survive. It's a private team and not a full factory team, and not everything will go like in the movies. If he could just keep his deck together, he'd have a chance to win races, but I'm afraid the collaboration won't be very rosy.

mknight
12th January 2023, 14:42
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/im-still-me-how-breens-approaching-hyundai-return/

2nd Breen article in two days, starting to look like last year at this time. Anyway one interesting info.

According to them before Lappi jumped ship from Toyota, Breen was supposed to drive full season and Sordo and Mikkelsen share the 3rd car.

- IMO none of these 3 deserve full season at this point, each for own reasons. In that case I would expect 4 drivers (these + Suninen) sharing two cars much more than Breen getting full season.

- At this same time Neuville was openly saying in media that he wants Evans, Sordo and Mikkelsen as teammates.
a) Neuville seemingly does not have that much to say about drivers at Hyundai (old news)
but
b) Either he did not know Breen was on the way or maybe he knew and did not like it trying to put pressure trough media?

EstWRC
12th January 2023, 15:13
Jeez.. these finnish journalists can't just give a break about 24/7 thinking/talking about Tanak..

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/asiantuntijalta-valitettava-ennustus-ott-tanakista-suomalaisittain-luvassa-on-todellista-nannaa-kylla-han-lyo/8610080#gs.mfkmk2

on top of that he predicts Lappi to beat Neuville

EstWRC
16th January 2023, 09:54
Tänak:

“The car is giving some good feedback and is reacting well, so it’s just about finding the set-up to find the optimum balance and also the peak performance.”

“But as a base I would say the Puma is definitely not a tricky car.”

More https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-tanak-would-be-happy-with-from-monte-carlo/

Allez Andruet
16th January 2023, 11:11
The story was not about Tänak, but there were five deliberately controversial predictions for which they asked Jari Ketomaa (who's working as a WRC commentator for Finnish media outlet CMore) whether he agrees or not.

1. Kalle will win his second title
2. Tänak will grow disappointed with the Puma
3. Lappi will beat Neuville in the championship
4. Latvala will drive a GR Yaris Rally1 in Finland
5. Breen will be sacked by Hyundai before the end of the year

Personally I think the first two are the most likely to materialize of these if any. There is a possibility that Toyota and Hyundai will be out of reach for M-Sport at some point during the season. And IF that happens, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a frustrated Tänak at the stage-end interviews. Fingers crossed it won't happen and we have three teams fighting for victories throughout the season.

Rallyest
16th January 2023, 11:20
The story was not about Tänak, but there were five deliberately controversial predictions for which they asked Jari Ketomaa (who's working as a WRC commentator for Finnish media outlet CMore) whether he agrees or not.

1. Kalle will win his second title
2. Tänak will grow disappointed with the Puma
3. Lappi will beat Neuville in the championship
4. Latvala will drive a GR Yaris Rally1 in Finland
5. Breen will be sacked by Hyundai before the end of the year

Personally I think the first two are the most likely to materialize of these if any. There is a possibility that Toyota and Hyundai will be out of reach for M-Sport at some point during the season. And IF that happens, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a frustrated Tänak at the stage-end interviews. Fingers crossed it won't happen and we have three teams fighting for victories throughout the season.

Well, considering that most likely Ford and RB helped back up Tänaks hiring financely, there is a big possibility they will also make sure, that all the money they spent wont go to waste because car will not be competitive, and probably will help M-sport cut some costs regarding development also and performance. That is what seems logical to me, but who knows, maybe RB and Ford are happy if at the first half of the season Tänak can show a win or 2 and constant podiums before letting it all go to ruins. Sure hope it wont go that way. But They have repeated multiple times that M-sports goal is Tänak as WDC, so i think they have planned a little bit ahead.

cali
16th January 2023, 12:21
Hehe what you guys don't know is that there is rumours Tänak is now co-owner of M-Sport (remember the insta post “The Boss and The Boss“?). This prediction no. 2 will be hard to materialise if you're the co-boss and you just don't critisize your own team.

PS! I had this information before that Instagram post

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Rallyest
16th January 2023, 12:39
Hehe what you guys don't know is that there is rumours Tänak is now co-owner of M-Sport (remember the instabpost “The Boss and The Boss“?). This prediction no. 2 will be hard to materialise if you're the co-boss and you just don't critisize your own team.

PS! I had this information before that Instagram post

If it would be true, then it would be Huge. Any indication where you have that info from?

Edit: Also wonder if any "reporters" who are lurking this forum will spread it as "sources claim" and "hidden sources say" news

cali
16th January 2023, 12:47
If it would be true, then it would be Huge. Any indication where you have that info from?

Edit: Also wonder if any "reporters" who are lurking this forum will spread it as "sources claim" and "hidden sources say" newsI can't cofirm it thus "rumours" but I have quite reliable source.

flat_right
16th January 2023, 12:49
When I saw that Insta post, I thought what a weird post and title - now, if this is all true, it makes a bit more sense.

Rallyest
16th January 2023, 13:01
I can't cofirm it thus "rumours" but I have quite reliable source.

Very interesting, i know its just rumours and not confirmed anywhere or any place but, if that is true, then it is very good news for rallying . I have wondered on my own, that how long will Malcolm be active in M-sport doings, and who will be his next of kin, dont see Millener as it. Logical would be Matthew but crazier things have happened.

cali
16th January 2023, 13:08
What I've come to understand is Tänak/Märtin duo is always doing things on the long run. Every deal so far has included some "benefits" and is possibly designed to secure or create business after Ott has finished his career.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th January 2023, 13:19
Tanak has recently said he wishes to commit more of himself to RedGrey in the future and helping the next generation of Estonian drivers...

dimviii
16th January 2023, 13:50
does Tanak Martin have so much money to become co owner of M sport? Doubt it.

Andre Oliveira
16th January 2023, 14:13
It depends the percentage no?

seb_sh
16th January 2023, 14:15
Can be that Tanak's payments is some % in the company. Skin in the game. I like it.

AndersX
16th January 2023, 14:55
I wrote this in one of my comments in November:

I wrote earlier: Tanak and M-Sport can only be a business decision, there must be some side project involved. Smth like Dakar or similar. Red Grey ( even name talks) was MM+OT side deal to the paycheck in Hyundai.

dimviii
16th January 2023, 14:57
It depends the percentage no?

if we talk about a 3-5% yes.

Rally Hokkaido
19th January 2023, 23:45
Hiroshi Seiki (aka World Rally Press) died here, yesterday. I think a lot of you would have seen him on the stages. To many of us he was a legend in APRC & WRC and a great person to have dinner and/or a drink or three together with! R.I.P. Seiki-san https://www.facebook.com/wrpseiki

bandit12
22nd January 2023, 08:43
It seems pretty much, that this year will be Yaris Cup. 😕

Eli
22nd January 2023, 16:44
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/fia-wrc-house-is-not-on-fire-with-only-three-manufacturers/10423551/

He’s right, the house isn’t on fire, although I do smell smoke…

Andre Oliveira
22nd January 2023, 19:06
Lol... what a president we got to FIA. LOL

seb_sh
22nd January 2023, 19:12
Did you only read the title? He clearly says we need one or two more manufacturers and that they need to tweak the rules. He's the president he can't come out and say "guys it's shit probably dying lmao don't bother".

NOT
22nd January 2023, 19:24
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/fia-wrc-house-is-not-on-fire-with-only-three-manufacturers/10423551/

He’s right, the house isn’t on fire, although I do smell smoke…

Eli
22nd January 2023, 19:25
Did you only read the title? He clearly says we need one or two more manufacturers and that they need to tweak the rules. He's the president he can't come out and say "guys it's shit probably dying lmao don't bother".

I read the entire article, when addressing this I don’t want it to be sugar-coated and besides saying we need another manufacturer or two and it will be a challenge he hasn’t offered any insight as to how they intend to draw more manufacturers, and yes there’s no shame in admitting that things aren’t going as planned.

Andre Oliveira
22nd January 2023, 19:26

Never reveals a plan. Bla bla bla talk we have allready in past. We need actions and a plan.

Tauri_J
22nd January 2023, 21:00
Didnt he say last year that we have enough manufacturers in WRC ?

seb_sh
22nd January 2023, 21:34
Was Todt better? FIA doesn't care about WRC.

AnttiL
23rd January 2023, 07:21
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/9bddeb1d-5318-4143-bb12-4e0f667ca8d0

Lappi will drive the next round of Finnish championship in Kuopio with Rally1. Katsuta also entered in the same rally.

TypeR
23rd January 2023, 07:38
Let's cut testing days, it will save so much money..

Well.. didn't go as planned by fia/wrc again.

Eli
23rd January 2023, 07:43

Good thing the whole Monte was dry, I’m sure it was a good long 3 day test for the team to prepare for Croatia ;)

AndyRAC
23rd January 2023, 08:04
Didnt he say last year that we have enough manufacturers in WRC ?

No, that was the FiA Rallies boss.......his deputy.

denkimi
23rd January 2023, 08:04

That was completely predictable. Teams have their budgets and will spend them anyway.

flat_right
23rd January 2023, 08:05
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/a/9bddeb1d-5318-4143-bb12-4e0f667ca8d0

Lappi will drive the next round of Finnish championship in Kuopio with Rally1. Katsuta also entered in the same rally.

I wonder why did they decide to participate in the rally? Both Hyundai and Toyota have permanent sites in Finland where you can test anytime. And I think there is enough snow to test? Or why is it so?

AndyRAC
23rd January 2023, 08:10
Was Todt better? FIA doesn't care about WRC.

They're all the same; they may mean well, and want to sort out the WRC, but get dragged into F1 - and before you know it's 1-2 years have passed. And there is a reason why they may not care about the WRC; it doesn't bring in much attention, or money.

However, I get the feeling he wants to take action, but his hands are tied......

ouvreur
23rd January 2023, 08:40
I wonder why did they decide to participate in the rally? Both Hyundai and Toyota have permanent sites in Finland where you can test anytime. And I think there is enough snow to test? Or why is it so?

I guess for more variety, or more mileage. Either way, both teams are saving test days by using this as a Sweden PET for those drivers.

flat_right
23rd January 2023, 09:13
I guess for more variety, or more mileage. Either way, both teams are saving test days by using this as a Sweden PET for those drivers.

More variety, yes. More mileage - doubt. They can test at their permanent site a lot more. Might be that they will also test at their base and then will do a rally to see how did their changes translate into other kind of roads.

wyler
23rd January 2023, 09:58
More variety, yes. More mileage - doubt. They can test at their permanent site a lot more. Might be that they will also test at their base and then will do a rally to see how did their changes translate into other kind of roads.

direct time comparison also for hiunday side. although they can test different things, having an opponent benchmark is a good thing.

AnttiL
23rd January 2023, 10:24
The roads on the rally could be a bit more on the super fast side than on the testing areas. But most importantly it gives fresh snow rally experience for these two drivers.

bandit12
23rd January 2023, 10:31
And both of them must score points for the team on Rally Sweden. So they must gain some confidence on snow.

flat_right
23rd January 2023, 10:33
Yes, all that seems logical. And better for us (rally fans)!

seb_sh
23rd January 2023, 17:38
It seems to me that this entry is more for the two drivers than for car development.

denkimi
23rd January 2023, 17:43
I don't get why they don't let all their drivers compete there. Having them do more stage kilometers can only give positive results.

steve.mandzij
23rd January 2023, 18:40
I don't get why they don't let all their drivers compete there. Having them do more stage kilometers can only give positive results.it's not free...

macebig
23rd January 2023, 18:46
Yeah, F1 is always the priority for FIA. And with the shitstorm going down over there, there isn't probably enough time left to work with WRC at the top level. Albeit, Bin Sulayem and Reid are born and bred rallymen, so it's more than possibly the most ideal situation for WRC. The problem is with the manufacturers, imo. In reality, WRC needs a massive step back with Rally 2s becoming the top category and massive cost caps on cars. But, good luck finding a board to agree on ditching hybrids.

ouvreur
23rd January 2023, 20:53
I don't get why they don't let all their drivers compete there. Having them do more stage kilometers can only give positive results.

They'll almost certainly be using their teams' test cars - it wouldn't be practical for Hyundai (probably not Toyota either, but more possible for them) to send all their drivers, and have their cars rebuilt in time for Rally Sweden.

becher
23rd January 2023, 21:18
it's not free...

Yeah, F1 is always the priority for FIA. And with the shitstorm going down over there, there isn't probably enough time left to work with WRC at the top level. Albeit, Bin Sulayem and Reid are born and bred rallymen, so it's more than possibly the most ideal situation for WRC. The problem is with the manufacturers, imo. In reality, WRC needs a massive step back with Rally 2s becoming the top category and massive cost caps on cars. But, good luck finding a board to agree on ditching hybrids.

The cost of the cars is not an issue for manufacturers.

Kenneth
23rd January 2023, 22:52
The only thing that FIA really need to do is loosen engine/powertrain regulation. Let every manufacturer use whatever type of powertrain they want, just make some limits.

No new brand will ever enter WRC when they need to develop brand new purpose-made engine that cost like half of the car a cannot use it in any other series. Hybrid or not.

steve.mandzij
24th January 2023, 03:46
The only thing that FIA really need to do is loosen engine/powertrain regulation. Let every manufacturer use whatever type of powertrain they want, just make some limits.

No new brand will ever enter WRC when they need to develop brand new purpose-made engine that cost like half of the car a cannot use it in any other series. Hybrid or not.i agree with this, open up development and level cars with balance of performance rules. it's worked for WEC and it seems to be attracting different philosophies and technologies in Dakar, an event that maybe a few years ago seemed stuck in time.

rallying is the ultimate marketing tool, to prove you can make the best car on all surfaces and on roads that normal people will drive on. if it can be made into a marketing opportunity this way, i think it could work.

AndyRAC
24th January 2023, 08:51
i agree with this, open up development and level cars with balance of performance rules. it's worked for WEC and it seems to be attracting different philosophies and technologies in Dakar, an event that maybe a few years ago seemed stuck in time.

rallying is the ultimate marketing tool, to prove you can make the best car on all surfaces and on roads that normal people will drive on. if it can be made into a marketing opportunity this way, i think it could work.

I can't see BoP working in the WRC......I get the feeling they want to remain 'pure' without any different technology to cause them problems. If it happens, then good, but it's not likely.

As for your final point, I think a lot have been saying that for years; it should/ could be the ultimate proving ground for manufacturers - but it just isn't due to poor management.

EstWRC
26th January 2023, 10:53
Please yes! https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/rally-usa-a-potential-contender-to-join-wrc-in-2024/10424793/

bwallace
26th January 2023, 12:08
Please yes! https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/rally-usa-a-potential-contender-to-join-wrc-in-2024/10424793/

Holy Cow...

fiscorpun
26th January 2023, 12:31
Was Todt better? FIA doesn't care about WRC

Wtcc, Rallycross, Autocross, Hillclimb, Trucks... and they didnt cared much about WEC too tbh, but the new rules are making some noise (for racing fans. Its not even like just by having Ferrari and other 3 brands is making WEC more popular among non-WEC fans)

Kenneth
26th January 2023, 14:01
Yeah, look at WTCC/WTRC and WEC. It both gained popularity thanks to competitors' engagement. TCR started as cheaper alternative for FIA's touring cars and gained more popularity than WTCC. WEC got popularity after LMH and LMDh cars, which was, again, thanks to popularity of IMSA.

Don't forget that there were something similar in rally with IRC. But I'm not sure if there is now potential to create something similiar.

PLuto
26th January 2023, 14:21
Yeah, look at WTCC/WTRC and WEC. It both gained popularity thanks to competitors' engagement. TCR started as cheaper alternative for FIA's touring cars and gained more popularity than WTCC. WEC got popularity after LMH and LMDh cars, which was, again, thanks to popularity of IMSA.

Don't forget that there were something similar in rally with IRC. But I'm not sure if there is now potential to create something similiar.

I am afraid there is not correct time to create something similar in rally. Rallysport is based on manufacturer more than other disciplines. And there is big question what will be the future way of automotive, because this is crucial also for rallysport. Currently everything is going "green electric way", despite all of its pluses and minuses. But for rallysport, electric cars are not the best ways for now. But "marketing specialists" at the manufacturers are pushing to support only (mainly) to anything connected to electrics. After FIA decision to move ERC to new promoter, there was a group of people who were intensively working on making a new series. But in the final, it was almost impossible to find investors if you will not use electric car...

Fast Eddie WRC
30th January 2023, 13:34
Bertelli on the Yaris Rally1
“I expected it to be not so easy like the Ford which is very easy to be driven. This was quite positive because actually the car was very agile and not nervous at all, so it was easy to drive. I got comfortable with it very quickly, so I’m super happy.”

He hopes to do some more events in it this year.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/bertelli-investigating-more-wrc-opportunities-after-sweden/10426256/

dimviii
31st January 2023, 13:29
https://twitter.com/ewrcresults/status/1620395140564254720?s=46&t=iYfbYsj4mBrufBnWVSZK1A

Eli
1st February 2023, 17:24
https://www.threelines.uk/stakeholders-to-collaborate-on-gaining-government-support-for-world-rally-championship-return-to-the-uk-ahead-of-april-decision-deadline/

So maybe we'll see after all the WRC back in the UK for 2024, in NI (like in the attempts of last year & 2021).

Gregor-y
1st February 2023, 17:40
NI will just be Ireland by then. :) Still, it's more likely than a US event.

Eli
1st February 2023, 19:40
NI will just be Ireland by then. :) Still, it's more likely than a US event.

I was under the impression the US event is second best after Saudi Arabia when it came to (immediate) future slots.

Steve Boyd
2nd February 2023, 00:40
NI will just be Ireland by then.
That's a very brave/foolhardy statement . . . .

Kenneth
2nd February 2023, 11:12

Not more than statement that UK will be back in WRC in 2024

Gregor-y
2nd February 2023, 13:26

As was Brexit, which is why I'd make a guess like that.

I've been hearing about a US round for years and I didn't hear anything new in the article. Ford does a booming business selling trucks; other than the Mustang Ford doesn't sell cars in the US/Canada. Or the Puma. If Ford spends wants to sponsor a US event it's because of a personal connection with Dirtfish or some Ford executives' monomania with rallying.

bomber21
3rd February 2023, 12:44
Now that Ford officially will join F1 from 2026, will they abandon their WRC M-Sport project?

Rallyper
3rd February 2023, 13:28
Now that Ford officially will join F1 from 2026, will they abandon their WRC M-Sport project?

Let´s hope not.
They can afford both.

EstWRC
3rd February 2023, 14:00

“I’ve been assured today’s news will have no impact on our World Rally Championship program,” Wilson said.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-sport-assured-fords-f1-deal-wont-affect-wrc-program/

NOT
3rd February 2023, 14:05

outsourcing everything to a company that only cares about profit is not a project...

seb_sh
3rd February 2023, 15:35
Ford going into F1 is going to be less involved than Ford in WRC with MSport. They will pay some money to put a Ford sticker on the engine. At most they will make the hybrid parts and Red Bull Power Trains will make the rest. It could actually help MSport since Red Bull is now in bed with Ford and they tend to sponsor teams in other series for their partners. For example after they got Honda engines they sponsored a Honda NSX in the Japanese GT series.

BobJones
15th February 2023, 18:32
Seems like the WRC is taking at least the next video game seriously. Here's hoping!

Why video games are central to the WRC’s growth plans: https://traxion.gg/why-video-games-are-central-to-the-wrcs-growth-plans/

Eli
15th February 2023, 20:34
Seems like the WRC is taking at least the next video game seriously. Here's hoping!

Why video games are central to the WRC’s growth plans: https://traxion.gg/why-video-games-are-central-to-the-wrcs-growth-plans/

Well it is codemasters developing it so should be good, although EA have recently taken the helms....hopefully they won't be able to ruin Codemaster's work too much, fingers crossed!

sinepikohv
16th February 2023, 07:06
Well, they did a bad job with F1 22 so wouldn't hype the game up too much. Also, as it's EA there are probably going to be quite a lot of microtransactions.

Kenneth
16th February 2023, 07:45
A bad job? Lmao. It was kinda underwhelming for sure, because of that whole F1 Life stuff, but other than that it was a great game. Also it is being made be Dirt Rally dev team, which is different team than the one that makes F1.

Also have you stuck in 2017? Even the new Need For Speed didn't really have so aggressive microtransactions.

sinepikohv
16th February 2023, 07:59
Having played the game a bit and looking at the reactions of the community I don't remember an F1 game in the past few years that has been received as bad as 22.

Regarding microtransactions, I base my opinion on the EA games I have played a lot and rather seriously (FIFA and Madden) but maybe microtransactions are mostly about sports games.

Kenneth
16th February 2023, 08:55
Yeah you are right in both. They tried new things, turns out it was a miss, and that's basically all (+ofc straight line speed bug, which took them some time to repair).

And yes, games like FIFA and MADDEN are based on the Ultimate Team, which is heavily based on microtransactions. But I can't really see how it could be implemented in a rally game. There are rumors that there will build your car mode, that's only place I can imagine microtransactions.

But I still believe in the game. Codemasters have kinda independent position in EA, so I believe it won't make much difference.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th February 2023, 09:32
The poor job with WRC The Game by Kylotonn (until very recently) hasn't done WRC any favours at all. Most fans know Dirt Rally and Dirt 2.0 are far superior for realism and graphics. This has meant they were 'driving' classic rally cars and R5's rather than the mega 2017 cars.

EstWRC
17th February 2023, 14:07
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230217/6b272879b7db7814f03072df1efc530b.jpg

I guess Estonia is out then?

AnttiL
17th February 2023, 14:09
Why? Umeå roads were not fast enough? :P

Kenneth
17th February 2023, 14:21
From PR talk it looks like it will be one year only rotation with Estonia.

Jarek Z
17th February 2023, 14:50
Jourdan Serderidis to compete in Malcolm Wilson Rally with Ford Puma Rally1! It's the first ever outing for a Rally1 car in the UK! Do you think he is going to win?
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/serderidis-to-contest-british-event-in-rally1-car/

Sal yet again
17th February 2023, 15:11
Fourmaux is already doing the event in a Rally 2 car but maybe yes! The rally is a round of the BRC however cant see anyone troubling a Puma from the prospective entries.

Tauri_J
18th February 2023, 06:02
From PR talk it looks like it will be one year only rotation with Estonia.

Wonder what they'll do with stages. They are super fast and very few crests and jumps. Already lots of chicanes installed for ERC rallies.

AnttiL
18th February 2023, 06:36
the rally is a round of the brc however cant see anyone troubling a puma from the prospective entries.

:D

Remember it's Serderidis. In Otepää he was battling FWD cars.

AnttiL
18th February 2023, 06:38
Wonder what they'll do with stages. They are super fast and very few crests and jumps. Already lots of chicanes installed for ERC rallies.

Yeah. Remember that Rally Estonia used to be a similar "gravel highway" (not the NZ kind of) rally before they started preparing it for the WRC event with crests and fixing forest roads. And I would say Estonia is a really nice event as it is now. Liepaja is typically just super fast roads, long straights, barely any jumps, huge road cleaning effect, and then the small roads get rutted very soon.

But I had already several Latvian rally fans tell me on twitter that the roads are great and I just need to see them IRL to understand it :D I admit some of those high speed "flat minus" corners must be thrilling to watch standing on those high banks but a whole stage can't be just that, and the chicanes are not a way to solve anything.

sinepikohv
18th February 2023, 06:49
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230217/6b272879b7db7814f03072df1efc530b.jpg

I guess Estonia is out then?

My bet is that Liepaja and Rally Estonia will be on a rotational basis. In '24 Latvia will have WRC and Estonia will have ERC. It's vice-versa in '25 and only time will tell how things will be in '26.

doubled1978
18th February 2023, 08:03
I’m all for new rallies getting a shot, I have enjoyed the variety the Covid years have given us in terms of events.
As a Brit, I still can’t believe the motorsport bodies in the UK have allowed us to get to a point where we don’t have a round of the WRC given the history. I support the N.Ireland bid and hope that it happens, but my heart will never be in it the same way it would be back in the forests.

mknight
18th February 2023, 08:23
Well in 2016-2018-ish there was a lot of slow gravel and a lot of complaining about adding more of that.

If we now get Estonia, Latvia, Finland and NZ are we going too much the opposite way?

Personally I miss more of the likes of GB and Chile with medium fast and slippery gravel. Om those there can be big swings between stages. Fast gravel is great to watch but without rain it often is the same story all weekend (road cleaning first, then minimal position changes and tiny differences).

AnttiL
18th February 2023, 08:27
Well in 2016-2018-ish there was a lot of slow gravel and a lot of complaining about adding more of that.

If we now get Estonia, Latvia, Finland and NZ are we going too much the opposite way?

Personally I miss more of the likes of GB and Chile with medium fast and slippery gravel. Om those there can be big swings between stages. Fast gravel is great to watch but without rain it often is the same story all weekend (road cleaning first, then minimal position changes and tiny differences).

NZ isn't really that fast, at least half of it is technical and slow, kind of like Chile and GB or even Portugal. Even Mexico will have some fast bits.

I can only assume Estonia and Latvia are not run same year.

Jarek Z
18th February 2023, 09:23
:D

Remember it's Serderidis. In Otepää he was battling FWD cars.

Yes, if the guy with a 15-year old Citroen C2 appears again (position #14), Serderidis will be in trouble :D
https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/81096-otepaa-talveralli-2023/

cali
18th February 2023, 10:43
Yes, if the guy with a 15-year old Citroen C2 appears again (position #14), Serderidis will be in trouble :D
https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/81096-otepaa-talveralli-2023/No, it was 15 year old kid at a position #11 in a Fiesta Rally 4 hehe and this kid was in a ditch about 1,5-2 minutes...

But this kid will be great in the future anyway...

Fast Eddie WRC
18th February 2023, 12:21
Jourdan Serderidis to compete in Malcolm Wilson Rally with Ford Puma Rally1! It's the first ever outing for a Rally1 car in the UK! Do you think he is going to win?
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/serderidis-to-contest-british-event-in-rally1-car/

In a word, no.

spyros
23rd February 2023, 10:46
I'm afraid that N.O.T was right this forum ( and wrc ) is dead?

EstWRC
23rd February 2023, 10:50
well, go ahead, start a conversation and include us

bomber21
23rd February 2023, 10:58
Jesus Christ

seb_sh
23rd February 2023, 15:55

Eh?

fiscorpun
23rd February 2023, 16:30

If in the uefa champions league foruns people are saying the league is dead and soccer is not as big as before covid anymore.......imagine wrc

skarderud
23rd February 2023, 16:39
I'm afraid that N.O.T was right this forum ( and wrc ) is dead?Maybe, but the only reason is forumkillers like NOT and other morons, and the endless spam of cheap pills.

Negaiss
24th February 2023, 08:12
Martins Sesks in WRC of Latvia 2024 in a Rally 1 car confirmed.

Jarek Z
24th February 2023, 09:07
Martins Sesks in WRC of Latvia 2024 in a Rally 1 car confirmed.

Confirmed? Already 1 year before the rally? :)

Negaiss
24th February 2023, 09:23
Confirmed? Already 1 year before the rally? :)

This post was meant to be kind of funny. Of course it is not confirmed as rally is still 1,5 years away, BUT at the moment Sesks and his suporters in Latvian media are saying, that they will do whatever they can to put Martins Sesks in Rally 1 car. And there are some wealthy people and companies which would support Sesks chance to show his pace in WRC on his home ground. I would say - it is highly likely.

Jarek Z
24th February 2023, 10:56
Well, good luck to him! He has the talent and the right attitude. We need such people in this sport!

BTW, is Ralfs Sirmacis still around?

EstWRC
24th February 2023, 10:59
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/bertelli-will-continue-to-drive-m-sport-cars/

thats interesting. Toyota outing was too costly or Malcom being clever now getting him back with the info of the Toyota car?

Kenneth
24th February 2023, 11:59
Nah, I think there is much simpler reason. Almost every driver says that Puma is intuitive and very easy to drive. Also I can imagine there is much better team environment for driver like Bertelli in M-Sport.

AnttiL
24th February 2023, 12:15
Nah, I think there is much simpler reason. Almost every driver says that Puma is intuitive and very easy to drive. Also I can imagine there is much better team environment for driver like Bertelli in M-Sport.

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2023/wrc/bertelli-gets-to-grips-with-new-yaris/

In here he said Yaris was an easy car to drive, or at least easier than he thought. But who knows.

mknight
24th February 2023, 13:26
My theory is that someone at Toyota (company) leadership reminded Latvala, Fowler and co what their job is:
Winning, or at least fighting for wins. Not a single Toyota on podium in Sweden while they are giving payrides should sound a few alarms.

In case some people need idiotproof explanation: I am not saying they should be giving the 4th car to someone else. I am saying they should be focusing resources on making those cars that are entered perform. In this case they could have used team resources to run say Evans in a local rally beforehand instead of testing with Bertelli. (I do not approve running on local rallies, but clearly it is a working approach atm).

Negaiss
24th February 2023, 18:43
Well, good luck to him! He has the talent and the right attitude. We need such people in this sport!

BTW, is Ralfs Sirmacis still around?

No.

SubaruNorway
24th February 2023, 20:35
This post was meant to be kind of funny. Of course it is not confirmed as rally is still 1,5 years away, BUT at the moment Sesks and his suporters in Latvian media are saying, that they will do whatever they can to put Martins Sesks in Rally 1 car. And there are some wealthy people and companies which would support Sesks chance to show his pace in WRC on his home ground. I would say - it is highly likely.

I see Sesks has switched to a Rally2 from the Rally2 - Kit, i didn't realize he was in that before, didn't look so good being beaten on some stages and one event by a Norwegian 15 year old i guess ;)

AnttiL
25th February 2023, 06:45
My theory is that someone at Toyota (company) leadership reminded Latvala, Fowler and co what their job is:
Winning, or at least fighting for wins. Not a single Toyota on podium in Sweden while they are giving payrides should sound a few alarms.

In case some people need idiotproof explanation: I am not saying they should be giving the 4th car to someone else. I am saying they should be focusing resources on making those cars that are entered perform. In this case they could have used team resources to run say Evans in a local rally beforehand instead of testing with Bertelli. (I do not approve running on local rallies, but clearly it is a working approach atm).

I don't think they "wasted resources" for Bertelli. Their test days are so limited that getting extra drivers and test days is just bonus for getting more data from the car. Maybe they used the money Bertelli brought in to run Katsuta in Kuopio? Rumors say TGR's budget isn't as endless as it used to be...

Meanwhile, Evans is so lost with the car that I don't think one extra local rally would have helped him.

Rally Hokkaido
26th February 2023, 07:40
Former Rally of Indonesia Organiser, Indrajit Sardjono just wrote this on his FB page:
"Few days ago ( this February 2023) there was news that (President) Mr Joko Widodo supported the idea to have the Rally ( FIA WRC) in North Sumatra, Indonesia."
I read that the Organisers there have been working on bringing back the WRC for the last four years. There are two Indonesian rounds of the APRC scheduled for this year.

HKSjbg
26th February 2023, 09:12
I wouldn’t mind seeing Indonesia back, the tropical nature of the environment gives it a very different feel to anything else on the calendar.

AnttiL
26th February 2023, 18:51
https://planetemarcus.com/tanak-et-munster-au-rallye-des-ardennes-avec-les-puma/

Tänak and Munster on Ardennes with Pumas

EDIT: Article deleted and I already heard elsewhere that Munster is going to start with Fiesta Rally2 anyway.

wwbroe
27th February 2023, 07:01
https://planetemarcus.com/tanak-et-munster-au-rallye-des-ardennes-avec-les-puma/

Tänak and Munster on Ardennes with Pumas

EDIT: Article deleted and I already heard elsewhere that Munster is going to start with Fiesta Rally2 anyway.

Here in Belgium there are indeed rumours that Tanak would start with the Puma in Rallye des Ardennes

Fast Eddie WRC
27th February 2023, 09:56
https://ecurie-bayard.be/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Affiche-RDA-2023.jpg

Serderidis was there last year in a Puma.

dupanton
27th February 2023, 18:08
Tanak with the Puma as a zero car, Munster with the Fiesta Rally2 in competition. They will prepare Croatia in Belgium, invited by Serderidis as this is his "home" rally :)

Fast Eddie WRC
27th February 2023, 19:04
Tanak with the Puma as a zero car

I guess as it's part of the Belgian Rally Championship this year.

dupanton
2nd March 2023, 16:20
I guess as it's part of the Belgian Rally Championship this year.

Correct

Andre Oliveira
2nd March 2023, 17:55
Alberto Heller in Rally1 at home? Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MO3f79F3kI

spyros
3rd March 2023, 10:17
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/rovanpera-toyota-definitely-better-on-rough-gravel-after-mexico-wrc-test/10438726/

TypeR
8th March 2023, 07:43
Finally FIA is dealing with some real problems in WRC..

Cars make so much noise, if we all drove EV's, everything would be so nice and quiet.
Damn.. Okay EVs are too quiet, let's add a speaker with some sound.

Speaker breaks down.. DNF (car too dangerous) :D
https://dirtfish.com/rally/rally1-cars-to-be-made-louder-in-electric-mode/

J4MIE
8th March 2023, 09:31
Finally FIA is dealing with some real problems in WRC..

Cars make so much noise, if we all drove EV's, everything would be so nice and quiet.
Damn.. Okay EVs are too quiet, let's add a speaker with some sound.

Speaker breaks down.. DNF (car too dangerous) :D
https://dirtfish.com/rally/rally1-cars-to-be-made-louder-in-electric-mode/

Well just like new EVs in the EU need to make some noise, this will help solve a genuine safety issue. Quiet cars moving sometimes fairly quickly, with lots of people wandering around with lots of distractions, is an accident waiting to happen.
My guess is that there’s been a few close calls over the last few events which is why this has been raised.

raffrantic
8th March 2023, 11:55
perhaps in the power stage in Sweden they did not hear Loubet coming around the corner...

becher
8th March 2023, 12:45
Well just like new EVs in the EU need to make some noise, this will help solve a genuine safety issue. Quiet cars moving sometimes fairly quickly, with lots of people wandering around with lots of distractions, is an accident waiting to happen.
My guess is that there’s been a few close calls over the last few events which is why this has been raised.

I agree, but isn't a straight cut gearbox loud enough to serve that purpose?

J4MIE
8th March 2023, 21:11
I agree, but isn't a straight cut gearbox loud enough to serve that purpose?

If that was the case then there’s be no need for this rule. They are very quiet, but if you combine that with usually busy service areas with other non EV cars, work being done to cars, plus often music etc playing, people wandering around with their minds on other stuff and not paying attention, it’s easy for it to become an issue.

Sal yet again
9th March 2023, 07:57
When the horseless carriage/car was first introduced they had to be proceeded by a man with a red flag so nothing new about this type of news except people are more distracted/unaware of their own presence than ever before, mobile phones etc. We used to put lolly sticks in our push bike rims to make a noise so maybe they could try that as well!

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2023, 11:02
As someone who was nearly run over by a Prius (on a park path/track) these EVs definitely need to make some noise !

EstWRC
9th March 2023, 12:25
Interview with Loubet https://www.wrcfanatix.com/2023/03/interview-with-pierre-louis-loubet.html?m=1

dimviii
9th March 2023, 16:42
Son of FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem dies in road accident

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mohammed-ben-sulayem-son-dies-road-crash/

Eli
13th March 2023, 10:22
I'm guessing the organizers in the US or Canada are pushing for an event but even so, I'd be disappointed if Mexico wouldn't come back next year: https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/rally-mexico-fighting-for-its-wrc-future/

HKSjbg
16th March 2023, 07:59
WRC USA candidate event confirmed for this year:

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/test-event-announced-as-wrc-rally-usa-2024-bid-progresses/10444045/

EstWRC
16th March 2023, 08:04
I listened to a podcast with Urmo Aava and he said he is pretty sure that in the next years we will have a round in North-America and also in the Middle East

Jarek Z
16th March 2023, 08:43
Bad news :(

AnttiL
16th March 2023, 09:10
This might not have anything to do with the Tennesee based WRC event but it's an event nearby and the road is looking great. Quite fast but narrow, hard-based, crests, corners, some river crossings, trees close to the road and some tight corners as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l-M89zJYSo&ab_channel=PatrickGruszka

EstWRC
16th March 2023, 11:51
Bad news :(

Why it’s bad?

It’s called the WORLD championships and we have only 3 rallies outside Europe at the moment.

We must popularize the sport also in other parts of the world

Sal yet again
16th March 2023, 12:19
USA fine the Middle East less so. There are some stunning roads on a lot of the current USA rallies and their spectators are used to being only allowed in certain locations so from a safety perspective its a win. Putting the political issues to one side and lets be honest which country currently can hold their hand up and say they are squeaky clean I would look to China and possibly the Indian sub continent as being more relevant car wise. That and I have an issue with Middle East rallies that seem to be more like Raids with less defined tracks that make for poor tv images aswell. If they do chase the Saudi/Qatar $ then hopefully modern technology will reduce some of the previous controversy of local drivers taking short cuts.

focus206
16th March 2023, 12:46
Why it’s bad?

It’s called the WORLD championships and we have only 3 rallies outside Europe at the moment.

It's called world championship but almost all WRC/Rally1 drivers are European...
I would rather see costs being cut to make the championship healthier.
What would going to USA bring to the championship? Expensive, 0 interest from their manufacturers (they can't have pick-up trucks nor big sedans as Rally1 cars), doubt any American rally driver would be interested in an international program, as most of them drive 90s-00s Imprezas in their national championship.

AndyRAC
16th March 2023, 12:47
Why it’s bad?

Most of the other major series have events in the USA, as ever the WRC is the odd one out.....

Kenneth
16th March 2023, 13:01
It's called world championship but almost all WRC/Rally1 drivers are European...
I would rather see costs being cut to make the championship healthier.

Yeah cuz making it Europe only would help bring non-European drivers for sure.

And of course they can have big sedans as Rally1, that's the reason why there is spaceframe.

focus206
16th March 2023, 13:15
Yeah cuz making it Europe only would help bring non-European drivers for sure.

And of course they can have big sedans as Rally1, that's the reason why there is spaceframe.

Nobody is concerned about the lack of non-European Rally1 drivers in the mix, the concern is the lack of seats and manufacturers. I can list only Paddon as non-European driver who right now could deserve a spot. As for privateers that could join WRC2, there probably won't be any American ones unless you make half of the championship near their country.
Making big sedans as Rally1 cars and then going to twisty rallies like Monte and Japan to be ridiculed by a Yaris sounds like a bad idea.