PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones & tablets thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Daniel
27th January 2010, 20:19
:rotflmao:

Firstly Steve it should be called an iPod Touch jumbo because that's what it is and secondly Tablet PC's are crap unless you're using it as a replacement for a clipboard and how often do most people need clipboards?

Jag_Warrior
27th January 2010, 20:29
The analysts are saying that you can mark this as the day that Apple changed the E-reader market forever. First year sales are predicted to be about 3 million a year. I've been looking forward to this (like many people) for awhile. I was going to get an iPod Touch last year. But I decided to wait until after this thing came out. I'll definitely get one, but I'm going to wait for the second generation, so that the bugs will be mostly worked out. The only area of concern is its size and without a way to hold it better, seems like it would be easy to drop. Someone (or a whole bunch of someones) will probably make a case or holder for it.

Good job by Jobs and Apple on hyping this. I continue to be a happy AAPL shareholder. Next stop, $230/share (I hope).

Daniel
27th January 2010, 20:40
The analysts are saying that you can mark this as the day that Apple changed the E-reader market forever. First year sales are predicted to be about 3 million a year. I've been looking forward to this (like many people) for awhile. I was going to get an iPod Touch last year. But I decided to wait until after this thing came out. I'll definitely get one, but I'm going to wait for the second generation, so that the bugs will be mostly worked out. The only area of concern is its size and without a way to hold it better, seems like it would be easy to drop. Someone (or a whole bunch of someones) will probably make a case or holder for it.

Good job by Jobs and Apple on hyping this. I continue to be a happy AAPL shareholder. Next stop, $230/share (I hope).
Personally I see this as the first flop for Apple after a long string of successes. With the iPod it was such a fantastic replacement for early MP3 players and CD players, (misguided) people see the MacBooks and iMac's as great replacement for a PC, an iPhone is a great way to replace your phone and have a decent MP3 player etc etc

What does the iPad do that people want it to do? When did someone last say "you know what? I want a laptop that I can't write with accurately with quickly (it's got no keyboard of course and you can't use a stylus) and that I can't fold up and that I can't just plonk on a desk and use like a laptop. OH and what I REAAAAAALLY want is to pay for a data plan for my iPhone AND my iPad! That'd be so awesome!!!!"

See here for some impartial criticisms
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Delivers+Sleek+iPad+Starts+from+499/article17459.htm

Jag_Warrior
27th January 2010, 21:14
We'll have to see. One thing I've learned over the past 20 years or so is not to underestimate Apple, even when it produces something that's not a raging success. I think the Kindle goes for about $300 +/-. Even the entry level iPad (at $499) does everything the Kindle does, does it better and does a LOT more. It seems superior to a netbook. And you can get it with or without a data plan through AT&T. I don't know, but that's all from the Bloomberg report.

The iPod didn't take off in its first year but Apple built it into a monster. If I believed this was going to tank, maybe I'd short AAPL or at least get out. But shorting AAPL usually proves to be a good way to empty out your trading account.

You look at something like Apple TV. Now that hasn't done so well - and Jobs doesn't care. But Apple tends to learn from things that are seen as little more than hobbies to keep the engineers busy. So I figure what the iPad will be by 2011 or 2012 will be somewhat different than what it is now.

If I'm good this year, I expect Santa will bring me an iPad this Christmas. :D

DexDexter
27th January 2010, 21:19
Personally I see this as the first flop for Apple after a long string of successes. With the iPod it was such a fantastic replacement for early MP3 players and CD players, (misguided) people see the MacBooks and iMac's as great replacement for a PC, an iPhone is a great way to replace your phone and have a decent MP3 player etc etc

What does the iPad do that people want it to do? When did someone last say "you know what? I want a laptop that I can't write with accurately with quickly (it's got no keyboard of course and you can't use a stylus) and that I can't fold up and that I can't just plonk on a desk and use like a laptop. OH and what I REAAAAAALLY want is to pay for a data plan for my iPhone AND my iPad! That'd be so awesome!!!!"

See here for some impartial criticisms
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Delivers+Sleek+iPad+Starts+from+499/article17459.htm

I've never understood the hype behind Apple and its products. For me they offer nothing really new and everything is somehow restricted/controlled. For example it's year 2010 and you cannot even add memory to the iPhone and I'm sure the iPad has some sort of restrictions as well. Maybe they are nice for many people, but for a tech-freak like me they do nothing.

Daniel
27th January 2010, 21:21
We'll have to see. One thing I've learned over the past 20 years or so is not to underestimate Apple, even when it produces something that's not a raging success. I think the Kindle goes for about $300 +/-. Even the entry level iPad (at $499) does everything the Kindle does, does it better and does a LOT more. It seems superior to a netbook. And you can get it with or without a data plan through AT&T. I don't know, but that's all from the Bloomberg report.

On a netbook you can

A) Use flash
B) Type as fast as your fingers can manage
C) Put it on a table and adjust it to a perfect angle and type with both hands

It's not a kindle competitor either because it's not got an "e-ink" screen so it's not as comfotable to read as a Kindle or one of the Sony readers. The whole point of a reader is to give the experience of reading a book, the iPad won't do that.

Read some of the comments on that page, they summarise the failings of the iPad pretty well.

Daniel
27th January 2010, 21:24
I've never understood the hype behind Apple and its products. For me they offer nothing really new and everything is somehow restricted/controlled. For example it's year 2010 and you cannot even add memory to the iPhone and I'm sure the iPad has some sort of restrictions as well. Maybe they are nice for many people, but for a tech-freak like me they do nothing.
Amen to that :)

I had an iPod G3 and to be fair when I got it it was great even if iTunes was a collosal turd of a thing to use. The rest of the Apple products however I don't get at all.

The people who generally buy Apple stuff are usually not the most educated of people and seem to think that Apple invented a lot of technology when all they did was repackage it.

Dave B
27th January 2010, 21:56
So it's like an e-reader without the battery life or like a laptop without the flexibility? Only it costs slightly more than either or indeed both? Hmm, where do I collect my black polo neck?

Daniel
27th January 2010, 21:59
So it's like an e-reader without the battery life or like a laptop without the flexibility? Only it costs slightly more than either or indeed both? Hmm, where do I collect my black polo neck?
To quote a Mapple store employee...... “Who dares question the boss we fired 10 years ago and then brought back!”

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2010, 22:43
A lot of people have underestimated Steve Jobs and his ideas Daniel, but on this one, I think you are right.

Langdale Forest
27th January 2010, 22:43
Probably the gadget to end all gadgets.

RusH
27th January 2010, 22:44
iTampon is trending up on DIGG dot com

Jag_Warrior
27th January 2010, 22:49
On a netbook you can

A) Use flash
B) Type as fast as your fingers can manage
C) Put it on a table and adjust it to a perfect angle and type with both hands

It's not a kindle competitor either because it's not got an "e-ink" screen so it's not as comfotable to read as a Kindle or one of the Sony readers. The whole point of a reader is to give the experience of reading a book, the iPad won't do that.

Read some of the comments on that page, they summarise the failings of the iPad pretty well.

I haven't had a chance to read the comments in your link yet. But exactly how would anyone be able to critique a device that hasn't even been released yet? They already know its failings and yet, (even to Bloomberg), access was limited. :confused:

Anyway, it is being touted as a Kindle competitor. The proof will be in the pudding. Actual customer experiences and reviews will determine whether it's successful or not. Guessing, based on what a handful of people may have to say, is like trying to determine next season's F1 WDC or WCC based on testing times...

We'll see what this is really about when it's released and they wave the checkers.

Daniel
27th January 2010, 23:12
I haven't had a chance to read the comments in your link yet. But exactly how would anyone be able to critique a device that hasn't even been released yet? They already know its failings and yet, (even to Bloomberg), access was limited. :confused:

Anyway, it is being touted as a Kindle competitor. The proof will be in the pudding. Actual customer experiences and reviews will determine whether it's successful or not. Guessing, based on what a handful of people may have to say, is like trying to determine next season's F1 WDC or WCC based on testing times...

We'll see what this is really about when it's released and they wave the checkers.
There's a lot we DO know though.

For instance the Apple's screen is backlit which is a big no no when it comes to reading text for hours upon hours like you do with a book.

Kindle is a dedicated reader
http://www.popgadget.net/images/amazon-kindle.jpg

GridGirl
27th January 2010, 23:12
I love my iPhone but there really is nothing else in the Apple product portfolio that I would want to buy. Count me out of the iPad reservation list.

This thread has reminded me of my mate who cant wait to read loads of books on his Sony Reader thing when he goes on holiday to the Maldives in a couple of months. He's bought his Sony thing especially. I just think if that's all you plan to do you might as well save some money and use your Sony Reader in Spain, Italy or anywhere else with sun that is both closer and cheaper. :s I'm neither a gadget or do nothing holiday person. I just don't get it.

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 23:15

Firstly Steve it should be called an iPod Touch jumbo because that's what it is and secondly Tablet PC's are crap unless you're using it as a replacement for a clipboard and how often do most people need clipboards?

Is it only me or does anyone else think this looks like a small laptop without a cover?

LiamM
27th January 2010, 23:45
Its worth saying that this iPad is only running a similar OS to the iTouch/iPhone and hence, can't multitask. So it can't even be compared to a Linux/Windows Netbook.

Daniel
27th January 2010, 23:52
A lot of people have underestimated Steve Jobs and his ideas Daniel, but on this one, I think you are right.
:)

I think it takes a lot for an Apple product to bomb so I really don't think this will bomb, at least not straight away anyway. Like I said, tablet PC's have never been popular and not for lack of trying too! When I used to work for a HP, Compaq, IBM and Toshiba repair place you'd occasionally get someone in with a tablet and out of interest I'd always ask them if they liked it and I'd say 90% weren't really all that impressed.

wedge
27th January 2010, 23:57
LOL!

Ipod Touch XXL or has Steve Jobs or did actually used an Ishrunk on himself?!

I can see the attraction of netbooks but preferably after a portable media player like the Ipod Touch but a bit bigger but definitely not Ipad size.

Andrewmcm
28th January 2010, 00:07
Interesting product. Possibly a bit too similar to the iPhone but then I guess it depends on what applications are developed for it. That is what will make or break the iPad, and Apple were smart enough to ensure that the pre-existing Apps already work on it. Apparently it can't multi-task, which is odd, but they say OS4.0 is in the works so who knows what that will bring.

I hope it is able to connect to external displays. If that's the case then I can see it being really useful for Conferences - no need to lug around a laptop as I could run my presentation from an iPad with no fuss.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 00:50
Something with an iPhone OS is probably not going to be able to run external displays

gloomyDAY
28th January 2010, 02:45
I was really looking forward to the iPad, but it seems pretty useless.

Don't see the attraction. $500 for 16 GB of hard drive space? No thanks!

Rollo
28th January 2010, 02:56
Firstly Steve it should be called an iPod Touch jumbo because that's what it is

It would appear that the internet thinks something else:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/apple-ipad-quickly-becomes-itampon-ipadwithwings/story-e6frfku0-1225824254393
TWITTER users have responded snarkily to the name of Apple's latest innovation the iPad, pushing the phrase "iTampon" to a number two trending topic on the microblogging site.

Are users waiting for the iTampon because it would be smaller than an iPad? Does it come with it's own applicator? Maybe Apple should have used an iPhone before releasing this under it's current name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrsfeyLzyg

Unfortunately named product? There's an app for that!

Andrewmcm
28th January 2010, 08:20
I've seen jailbroken iphones being able to connect to external displays, so I'd imagine that the iPad can. Gizmodo (whatever that is) says it should be able to as well. Time will tell!

Mark
28th January 2010, 08:21
This thread has reminded me of my mate who cant wait to read loads of books on his Sony Reader thing when he goes on holiday to the Maldives in a couple of months. He's bought his Sony thing especially. I just think if that's all you plan to do you might as well save some money and use your Sony Reader in Spain, Italy or anywhere else with sun that is both closer and cheaper. :s I'm neither a gadget or do nothing holiday person. I just don't get it.

Too true! I can kind of see the point in taking a book away with you. For us there is always that downtime between getting back from whatever we've been doing through the day and going out for the evening. But if your sole purpose is to sit on a beach and read a book and not go anywhere, you might as well stay at home!

Valve Bounce
28th January 2010, 08:36
Too true! I can kind of see the point in taking a book away with you. For us there is always that downtime between getting back from whatever we've been doing through the day and going out for the evening. But if your sole purpose is to sit on a beach and read a book and not go anywhere, you might as well stay at home!

...............well, a couple of sunlamps installed in the lounge would help; and that's a lot cheaper than flying off to Europe and paying rent there.

When I was doing my campervan thing in Europe, we were able to get books from libraries where we camped, and there was an exchange system where you simply left the books you finished reading, and took out theirs. (free).

I would thbik that buying an ipad simply as a means of reading while on holiday sorta defeats the idea of a holiday.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 08:39
I've seen jailbroken iphones being able to connect to external displays, so I'd imagine that the iPad can. Gizmodo (whatever that is) says it should be able to as well. Time will tell!
OK I take that back. But of course it's not out of the box support.

Dave B
28th January 2010, 08:40
So what do we know this morning?

The screen will suck battery life, making it a poor competitor for the Kindle et al e-readers, and knowing Apple the battery won't be user-replacable so bang goes carrying a spare.

Sparse storage for its price and no obvious way of connecting a hard drive, USB key or even an SD card.

Wireless keyboard which presumably means an Apple branded one only, no chance of using your favourite ergonomic keyboard.

No external display so there goes any chance of using it as a media player at home or in the office.

No camera - still or video - limiting its use still further.

No multitasking, even my Nokia can handle that and blummin' useful it is too.

Still no support for Flash, which even though it can be evil sometimes is still among the most widespread code on the t'internet - that'll really please advertisers.

Early versions won't have 3G capability, so as usual with Apple the early adopters are shafted when the upgraded version comes out.

I honestly don't get who this is aimed at. If you want an e-reader there are better and cheaper; if you want a proper laptop then this doesn't come close; and if you want a netbook then again there are far better and cheaper out there. I really think they've messed up with this one.

Oh wait! Of course, it's shiny and has an Apple badge.... silly me - it'll sell in its thousands. :s

Mark
28th January 2010, 09:14
Oh wait! Of course, it's shiny and has an Apple badge.... silly me - it'll sell in its thousands. :s

Of course it will! Apple have always been very good, firstly at marketing, secondly at user interface design. What they aren't so good on is the hardware and features side of things.

News is that it'll cost $499 in the USA. What's to bet it'll be £499 in the UK.

Although Radio 1 puzzled me this morning, they said "It's bigger than an iPhone and a lot more expensive too". Really? Even if we take a direct translation of $499 to £308, to buy an unlocked iPhone is in the region of £800, well over double the price of the tablet :s

Dave B
28th January 2010, 09:24
I wonder if it's saving grace might come in the form of a network subsidy if you buy the 3G version. But to make that attractive you'd surely have to offer voice calls, presumably via a Bluetooth headset unless you want to look like Dom Jolly. This thing can't even handle SMS out of the box.

Mark
28th January 2010, 10:04
I wonder if it's saving grace might come in the form of a network subsidy if you buy the 3G version. But to make that attractive you'd surely have to offer voice calls, presumably via a Bluetooth headset unless you want to look like Dom Jolly. This thing can't even handle SMS out of the box.

That's the problem though, it's too big to be a phone and not enough use as a laptop.

My boss carried a tablet PC around with him for a while and he gave up and has started carrying a proper laptop again.

Me, I don't bother with either!

Daniel
28th January 2010, 10:48

The screen will suck battery life, making it a poor competitor for the Kindle et al e-readers, and knowing Apple the battery won't be user-replacable so bang goes carrying a spare.

Sparse storage for its price and no obvious way of connecting a hard drive, USB key or even an SD card.

Wireless keyboard which presumably means an Apple branded one only, no chance of using your favourite ergonomic keyboard.

No external display so there goes any chance of using it as a media player at home or in the office.

Still no support for Flash, which even though it can be evil sometimes is still among the most widespread code on the t'internet - that'll really please advertisers.

Early versions won't have 3G capability, so as usual with Apple the early adopters are shafted when the upgraded version comes out.

I honestly don't get who this is aimed at. If you want an e-reader there are better and cheaper; if you want a proper laptop then this doesn't come close; and if you want a netbook then again there are far better and cheaper out there. I really think they've messed up with this one.

Good summary.

My next visit to London will be fun, there are enough people on the tube with the white buds of smugness, now there will be people with tablets :laugh:

Brown, Jon Brow
28th January 2010, 10:50

"Yes, I think she has seen it. Ergonomic-management-keyboard!!"

Mark
28th January 2010, 10:54
My next visit to London

Nobody with iPods in North Wales then?

janneppi
28th January 2010, 10:56
I could use something like that as a media center remote controller. A friend of mine has a setup with a big(ish) tv and a linux box which has a tv in it. It's a bit of pain to use the internet on it with his wireless keyboard.
So that could be used to control it and used a s couch computer screen for IRC and forum messaging. :) Or a Nokia N900. :)

Daniel
28th January 2010, 10:57
Yes but we don't have der tube here

Dave B
28th January 2010, 11:01
Look-uPod.

Sorry :erm:

Daniel
28th January 2010, 11:04
I could use something like that as a media center remote controller. A friend of mine has a setup with a big(ish) tv and a linux box which has a tv in it. It's a bit of pain to use the internet on it with his wireless keyboard.
So that could be used to control it and used a s couch computer screen for IRC and forum messaging. :) Or a Nokia N900. :)
Logitech do some good quality proper media centre remotes :)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=gb,en

Got myself a £15 media centre remote the other day and must say that Windows Media Centre with a remote is awesome :)

Valve Bounce
28th January 2010, 12:02
If you were on the move, where the heck would you put it when not in use?

Mark
28th January 2010, 12:10
If you were on the move, where the heck would you put it when not in use?

Well quite. You'll need a laptop case of some sort.

Mark
28th January 2010, 12:11
Yes but we don't have der tube here

Or any people with iPods :p

Daniel
28th January 2010, 12:16
Or any people with iPods :p
No, we have iPods here. just no mass transit system for them to sit on like iZombies :p

Andrewmcm
28th January 2010, 12:29

Quite the list. Except it does have external connection capabilities. Where does it say that early versions won't have 3G?

I seem to recall that the original iPhone had similar criticisms, and its eventual successor has (apparently) revolutionised how we use phones. None of us here have used an iPad, and I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I have. I can see it has drawbacks, but I can also see where it will be useful.

Perhaps it's more a case of what this iPad has the potential to do, rather than what it looks like it can do on specs alone. I'm sure some clever soul will come up with applications for it that will make it a very handy piece of kit.

Mark
28th January 2010, 12:36
Quite the list. Except it does have external connection capabilities. Where does it say that early versions won't have 3G?

They won't. But the 3G version will be released a few months later apparently.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 12:38

I seem to recall that the original iPhone had similar criticisms, and its eventual successor has (apparently) revolutionised how we use phones. None of us here have used an iPad, and I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I have. I can see it has drawbacks, but I can also see where it will be useful.

Perhaps it's more a case of what this iPad has the potential to do, rather than what it looks like it can do on specs alone. I'm sure some clever soul will come up with applications for it that will make it a very handy piece of kit.
Tablet PC's have been around for ages and very few people have use for them.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 13:47
The people who generally buy Apple stuff are usually not the most educated of people and seem to think that Apple invented a lot of technology when all they did was repackage it.

A rather patronising comment don't you think? I think you'll find that on average Apple sells to a higher income bracket than PC products, so for being uneducated those customers have done quite well in life haven't they?

I don't believe this iPad is going to be a core product for Apple in the same way as the iPod or iPhone but is likely to be a slow-burner that will keep revenue flowing in for some time. With good publisher support it will act as a strong competitor for the Kindle and the Sony equivalent (given how strong sales were just before Xmas for those two products Apple is entering into that market at just the right time too). Given that Apple and most PC makers currently have NO ebook equivalent entering the market is quite a step, and like iTunes Apple will profit from selling you the iPad and the books you read on it.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 13:58
A rather patronising comment don't you think? I think you'll find that on average Apple sells to a higher income bracket than PC products, so for being uneducated those customers have done quite well in life haven't they?

I don't believe this iPad is going to be a core product for Apple in the same way as the iPod or iPhone but is likely to be a slow-burner that will keep revenue flowing in for some time. With good publisher support it will act as a strong competitor for the Kindle and the Sony equivalent (given how strong sales were just before Xmas for those two products Apple is entering into that market at just the right time too). Given that Apple and most PC makers currently have NO ebook equivalent entering the market is quite a step, and like iTunes Apple will profit from selling you the iPad and the books you read on it.
Having lots of money doesn't mean that you're intelligent now does it?

Apple products are a fashion accessory.

You say the iPad is going to be a competitor for the Kindle and Sony reader? how? wtf? lol?

The big thing that readers do is digital ink/electronic paper which gives a similar feel to reading a book. When i first saw one of the Sony readers in a store I couldn't work out whether it was actually on or not at first because the text doesn't have that whole backlit look that the iPad will have being an ips screen. The iPad will feel no different to reading a book on a PC screen and that's tiring to the eye.

Have a read and you'll see while the iPad shouldn't be the choice of the average clot for a reader, not I say should because people will think that because it's an Apple product that it must be the best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

iPad, jack of all trades, master of none.

Dave B
28th January 2010, 13:59
Well yes, you can buy an adaptor that will give it the basic USB port that even the cheapest phones and notebooks include as standard, but as with the Air you'll end up with all manner of wires and adaptors spoiling the admittedly lovely form if you want to use it seriously.

Early versions won't have 3G according to Apple's own site. As ever, early adopters are nothing more than paying beta-testers, shafted when the next version comes out. At least they won't be tied into an airtime deal unlike the poor mugs who queued up for the 1st generation iPhones.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 14:09
Having lots of money doesn't mean that you're intelligent now does it?

Intelligent or educated? The two are different, so Apple users are what, uneducated? unintelligent? Or just both?

Apple products are a fashion accessory.

Not really. I use mine as a home office with spreadsheets, statistical analysis software, word processing and radiology DICOM file viewers. I use a Mac because its reliable and because if I bought a PC I would have had to pay thousands of pounds for a DICOM viewer software that I get for free with the Apple. Which of those bits is a fashion accessory? The time I used to spend sorting out my PC which kept crashing is now time I can use working, that in itself is invaluable.

You say the iPad is going to be a competitor for the Kindle and Sony reader? how? wtf? lol?

The big thing that readers do is digital ink/electronic paper which gives a similar feel to reading a book. When i first saw one of the Sony readers in a store I couldn't work out whether it was actually on or not at first because the text doesn't have that whole backlit look that the iPad will have being an ips screen. The iPad will feel no different to reading a book on a PC screen and that's tiring to the eye.

I don't disagree that the tech specs are not those of an ebook, yet that is where marketing comes in isn't it. Buy an iPad and download books straight from your favourite publisher at the click of a mouse. Many people don't know about the Sony or the Kindle, they will know about the iPad whether through advertising or sheer hype. Whether the iPad is easier to read off (I agree it probably won't be) is a secondary concern when it comes to selling. But then, can you view video on a Kindle? How about music?

Mark
28th January 2010, 14:13
I don't disagree that the tech specs are not those of an ebook, yet that is where marketing comes in isn't it. Buy an iPad and download books straight from your favourite publisher at the click of a mouse. Many people don't know about the Sony or the Kindle, they will know about the iPad whether through advertising or sheer hype. Whether the iPad is easier to read off (I agree it probably won't be) is a secondary concern when it comes to selling. But then, can you view video on a Kindle? How about music?

What will likely happen, as with the iPod that Apple will tie up suppliers into contracts so the only decent e-books will require you to get an iPad and the superior Kindle won't have much left to it.

No you can't view video on the Kindle, but it's supposed to emulate a book experience as closely as possible, so why would you?

Daniel
28th January 2010, 14:26
Intelligent or educated? The two are different, so Apple users are what, uneducated? unintelligent? Or just both?

Perhaps misguided would be a better word

Not really. I use mine as a home office with spreadsheets, statistical analysis software, word processing and radiology DICOM file viewers. I use a Mac because its reliable and because if I bought a PC I would have had to pay thousands of pounds for a DICOM viewer software that I get for free with the Apple. Which of those bits is a fashion accessory? The time I used to spend sorting out my PC which kept crashing is now time I can use working, that in itself is invaluable.

Just out of interest what do you do for a job? I googled DICOM viewer and it seems to be radiological? Also seem to be free versions for PC's as well. Mac's aren't immune to crashes, Caroline's sister in law got a 27" iMac for Christmas and tbh it was being a bit fruity (Apple have had widespread issues with the screens on these two), a good PC though shouldn't crash.

I agree with you and whilst that's where Apple are good you have to admit it's also a bit crap. They're advertising the iPad as this fantastic reader when really it's actually not as good as other devices or indeed a laptop or netbook.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 14:33
What will likely happen, as with the iPod that Apple will tie up suppliers into contracts so the only decent e-books will require you to get an iPad and the superior Kindle won't have much left to it.

No you can't view video on the Kindle, but it's supposed to emulate a book experience as closely as possible, so why would you?

Absolutely, the iPad's technical specs will be a secondary concern. Apple's contracts with publishers will be of greater importance than the technical specs of the iPad itself.

No, if you just want an electronic book then you don't need video but imagine looking at the two products side by side in a shop. Buy the Kindle and you have a perfectly good ebook but only an ebook, spend that little bit more and you get something you can view video etc etc on as well as an ebook.

Its the same marketing concept as for SUVs. Why buy a Mondeo which merely gets you from A to B in comfort when you could get an X5 which does the same, is slightly worse on road where you'll be 99-100% of the time but much better off road where you'll be 0-1% of the time and in your dreams. People still end up buying the latter.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 14:40
Just out of interest what do you do for a job? I googled DICOM viewer and it seems to be radiological? Also seem to be free versions for PC's as well.

Yes I'm a radiologist. And no when I bought my powermac 5 years ago there weren't any free PC versions. They've only come onto the market in the past year or two, too late as most radiologists seem to have switched to Apple already.

Mac's aren't immune to crashes, Caroline's sister in law got a 27" iMac for Christmas and tbh it was being a bit fruity (Apple have had widespread issues with the screens on these two), a good PC though shouldn't crash.

Clearly standards have dropped since they started letting Macs boot up Windows ;) Yours sounds like a hardware problem rather than a software issue.

PCs may have become more reliable of late but my Mac just never goes wrong. I have no need to gamble by seeing whether PCs have caught up in the stability stakes.

Recently my fiancee and mother both bought new laptops for the same price, a Dell and a Macbook. The latter takes just over a minute to boot up and be useable, the PC nearly four/five minutes. The Mac hooks up to the wireless seamlessly once the code is put in, the PC procrastinates. Both were straight out of the box so just as the manufacturer intended. Experiences like that merely reinforce my opinion that PCs are literally a waste of time, not something I can afford.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 14:42
Absolutely, the iPad's technical specs will be a secondary concern. Apple's contracts with publishers will be of greater importance than the technical specs of the iPad itself.

No, if you just want an electronic book then you don't need video but imagine looking at the two products side by side in a shop. Buy the Kindle and you have a perfectly good ebook but only an ebook, spend that little bit more and you get something you can view video etc etc on as well as an ebook.

Its the same marketing concept as for SUVs. Why buy a Mondeo which merely gets you from A to B in comfort when you could get an X5 which does the same, is slightly worse on road where you'll be 99-100% of the time but much better off road where you'll be 0-1% of the time and in your dreams. People still end up buying the latter.
So essentially you're (in a sense) basically advocating the misselling of a product to customers.

Why buy a kindle which will do what you want, buy an iPad which won't do what you want well, but it'll do lots of other stuff which you probably already have things to do anyway. Back a few years ago technology was all about convergence and getting all the functionality into one product, are you saying that we should start owning tonnes of things which do the same thing and carrying them around with us all at the same time? :confused:

Malbec
28th January 2010, 14:53
So essentially you're (in a sense) basically advocating the misselling of a product to customers.

Why buy a kindle which will do what you want, buy an iPad which won't do what you want well, but it'll do lots of other stuff which you probably already have things to do anyway. Back a few years ago technology was all about convergence and getting all the functionality into one product, are you saying that we should start owning tonnes of things which do the same thing and carrying them around with us all at the same time? :confused:

No I don't. I believe people should be free to sell what they want, how they want.

People are free to make the decisions they want to when they buy stuff, and I believe that when people see a Kindle next to an iPad many people will go for the latter because of the extra gadgets and the better publisher support. Many will clearly stick with the Kindle because of its better reading screen too, but to state that the iPad is destined to be a failure seems just a little 'misguided' at this point.

And no I'm not suggesting that people will be buying both, quite the opposite. The iPad offers convergence, a tablet that can do more than merely present books. As you said yourself its a jack of all trades, a master of none and past history suggests that that kind of product tends to win over something that is good at just one thing.

schmenke
28th January 2010, 14:56
Brace yourselves for a revolution...

Daniel
28th January 2010, 14:58
Yes I'm a radiologist. And no when I bought my powermac 5 years ago there weren't any free PC versions. They've only come onto the market in the past year or two, too late as most radiologists seem to have switched to Apple already.

Clearly standards have dropped since they started letting Macs boot up Windows ;) Yours sounds like a hardware problem rather than a software issue.

PCs may have become more reliable of late but my Mac just never goes wrong. I have no need to gamble by seeing whether PCs have caught up in the stability stakes.

Recently my fiancee and mother both bought new laptops for the same price, a Dell and a Macbook. The latter takes just over a minute to boot up and be useable, the PC nearly four/five minutes. The Mac hooks up to the wireless seamlessly once the code is put in, the PC procrastinates. Both were straight out of the box so just as the manufacturer intended. Experiences like that merely reinforce my opinion that PCs are literally a waste of time, not something I can afford.

Of course, I've always said that Mac's do make sense for some people. If you have to pay thousands for something you get with a Mac for free then you're an idiot not to go with a Mac.

The problem with PC's is that they're a lot of rubbish hardware out there. I build my own PC's and only choose the finest cuts (oh wait it sounds like an ad for premium cat food :p ) I mean best parts I can afford and I've not had a hardware failure for a good 4 years though to be fair the issues I had back in Australia were all heat related as the room my PC was in was always very hot in summer.

Laptops are a problem, quite often a lot of crap gets bundled with them which slows them down. Remove the crap and the PC will go a lot faster. Download lots of needless crap for your Mac and it'll suffer too ;)

Sorry if I was unclear, her screen wasn't yellow but many people have reported it as a problem. Her problem seemed more software tbh.

Daniel
28th January 2010, 15:14
No I don't. I believe people should be free to sell what they want, how they want.

People are free to make the decisions they want to when they buy stuff, and I believe that when people see a Kindle next to an iPad many people will go for the latter because of the extra gadgets and the better publisher support. Many will clearly stick with the Kindle because of its better reading screen too, but to state that the iPad is destined to be a failure seems just a little 'misguided' at this point.

And no I'm not suggesting that people will be buying both, quite the opposite. The iPad offers convergence, a tablet that can do more than merely present books. As you said yourself its a jack of all trades, a master of none and past history suggests that that kind of product tends to win over something that is good at just one thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat bit of tech. But it's the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Of course if someone sees the Kindle and the iPad next to each other they're gonna go for the iPad but if they want a good reader they're misguided. Some things are best done by a dedicated device. For instance phone cameras are years and years away from catching up to compact cameras let alone DSLR.

The iPhone sold well because it was a flashy and seemingly innovative replacement for people's previous phones. But the iPad is trying to carve out a new market and trying to kill off readers and netbooks and I just don't see that working because the readers are actually pretty decent and people like netbooks. The air is a commercial failure by Apple standards, it solves the problem that no one had which is "My laptop needs to be stupidly thin, expensive and needs to be tied to a dock to have any decent amount of connectors", then there's Apple TV which doesn't appear to be taking off anytime soon.

veeten
28th January 2010, 15:41
Brace yourselves for a revolution...

you just had to go there, didn't you... :p

veeten
28th January 2010, 15:44
A very good explination of just what the iPad (*snicker* :p : ) was meant to be...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-ipad-ipod-iphone-console,9525.html

Daniel
28th January 2010, 15:54
A very good explination of just what the iPad (*snicker* :p : ) was meant to be...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-ipad-ipod-iphone-console,9525.html
Quite good for a Toms article. They're right, it's just a console and a way of making people buy stuff from iTunes to make tonnes of moola.

edv
28th January 2010, 16:07
I've been using a tablet for years now.
Lightweight, very readable, not so great with the battery life, but I really like it.
I read books using my fingertips to scroll and turn pages..very tactile.
It's tiny, but is fully capable....4GB RAM, 64-bit OS, 320GB HDD, camera, speakers, wifi, dual CPU, full connectivity ...and on and on.
It does all the stuff I'd want, and much more than iPad, for just a little bit more money.
I don't get all the hype.

anthonyvop
28th January 2010, 18:12
If they come out with a iPad with more memorey with they call it the..................
Wait for it
The MAXI PAD?

christophulus
28th January 2010, 18:47
I just can't understand this. It's too large to fit in your pocket but not large enough to replace a computer? And still no multitasking?

Maybe Apple are running out of ideas. This doesn't really do anything revolutionary.

Also reminds me of this :p

http://www.amitbhawani.com/blog/Images/A/Apple-iphonevsstone.jpg

Daniel
28th January 2010, 19:11
I just can't understand this. It's too large to fit in your pocket but not large enough to replace a computer? And still no multitasking?

Maybe Apple are running out of ideas. This doesn't really do anything revolutionary.

Also reminds me of this :p

http://www.amitbhawani.com/blog/Images/A/Apple-iphonevsstone.jpg

Malbec
28th January 2010, 19:25
The problem with PC's is that they're a lot of rubbish hardware out there. I build my own PC's and only choose the finest cuts (oh wait it sounds like an ad for premium cat food :p ) I mean best parts I can afford and I've not had a hardware failure for a good 4 years though to be fair the issues I had back in Australia were all heat related as the room my PC was in was always very hot in summer.

Yep that sounds like me as a teen, reading up about which graphics card was x% better than the other, and where I could get one for £5 less than some other place. If you're going to build a PC like that then I agree, the Mac can't even compete and back in those days I did think Macs were pointless.

Problem is that for a lot of people working jobs with long hours a PC or Mac is simply a tool that needs to boot up and just work. I don't care if the thing I use isn't optimal or if I paid 20% more than I should have, I just want it to work seamlessly off the shelf. It simply isn't worth my time to go hunting for the best package or keep tinkering with what I've got. The Mac does everything I ask of it and more but most importantly it never causes hassle, and that still is the majority experience with them.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 19:32
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat bit of tech. But it's the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Aren't most Apple products solutions to problems that don't really exist? What was the iPod when it first came out? Just another MP3 player that required iTunes but looked quite smart? The iPhone was merely a smartphone that was easier to use but with fewer concrete features than its rivals, though its software is much more easily personalised with tonnes of downloadable content out there.

Of course if someone sees the Kindle and the iPad next to each other they're gonna go for the iPad but if they want a good reader they're misguided. Some things are best done by a dedicated device. For instance phone cameras are years and years away from catching up to compact cameras let alone DSLR.

You're right, no phone camera is close to rivaling a compact camera, yet there are plenty of people out there who only use the phone camera simply because its handy.

But the iPad is trying to carve out a new market and trying to kill off readers and netbooks and I just don't see that working because the readers are actually pretty decent and people like netbooks. The air is a commercial failure by Apple standards, it solves the problem that no one had which is "My laptop needs to be stupidly thin, expensive and needs to be tied to a dock to have any decent amount of connectors", then there's Apple TV which doesn't appear to be taking off anytime soon.

Sure, Apple have failed many times. The iPad may fail too, but I think you're jumping the gun in condemning it so soon. As I said my personal opinion is that it'll be a slowburner, it'll have a long product life but won't sell huge amounts, and I think it'll generate a decent revenue through the online books.

Jag_Warrior
28th January 2010, 19:58
Something that I just heard that I didn't know: according to Bloomberg, the fastest growing video game console is the iPhone... not the X-box, Wii or the Playstation. And the iPad is apparently 2/3 faster than the iPhone. EA and Rockstar Games are already in the mix to produce games for the device. So in addition to attacking the e-reader market, it seems like Apple is also going hard for the video game market. I don't play video games. So that is lost on me. But from what I hear, a LOT of people do. ;)

But as I already said, it's WAY too early to announce this device as a success or a failure... before the first one has even been put to market. Buying the first gen of any product (car, OS or TV set) is not going to give you the best bang for the buck. But I'll be quite anxious to see where this device is 12 months+ from now.

Malbec
28th January 2010, 20:18
Something that I just heard that I didn't know: according to Bloomberg, the fastest growing video game console is the iPhone... not the X-box, Wii or the Playstation. And the iPad is apparently 2/3 faster than the iPhone. EA and Rockstar Games are already in the mix to produce games for the device. So in addition to attacking the e-reader market, it seems like Apple is also going hard for the video game market. I don't play video games. So that is lost on me. But from what I hear, a LOT of people do. ;)

I've heard that as well, and that Steve Jobs isn't very happy about it (not liking games) but isn't going to do anything to stop people from developing games either, after all profit is profit....

Daniel
28th January 2010, 22:21
Aren't most Apple products solutions to problems that don't really exist? What was the iPod when it first came out? Just another MP3 player that required iTunes but looked quite smart? The iPhone was merely a smartphone that was easier to use but with fewer concrete features than its rivals, though its software is much more easily personalised with tonnes of downloadable content out there.

To be fair when the iPod came out it was pretty darn good :) I had a U2 G3 and tbh at the time it was better than most of the other stuff out there iTunes or not. I dropped it a little while back and broke the hard drive. I took it apart and confirmed the hard drive was knackered but realised there's no reason for me to fix it. I've got a 16gb USB stick and a 4gb one both which live in the Fiat and they hold all my music which I can control with either steering wheel buttons or voice commands.

Mark
29th January 2010, 08:13
Something that I just heard that I didn't know: according to Bloomberg, the fastest growing video game console is the iPhone....

"Fastest growing" is something which is often said but means nothing. Trying to make something new look like it's a challenge to the established products.

2008: 10 million people buy an Xbox
2009: 11 million people buy an Xbox

2008: 10 people buy an iPhone
2009: 20 people buy an iPhone.

Then iPhone sales are growing 10 times faster than those of the XBox.

DexDexter
29th January 2010, 08:32

Offtopic but talking about Nokia N900, to me it's pretty cool that I am able to make FREE video calls ( from my Ubuntu) to my mate's N900 no matter where in Finland he is, since he has a 3g connection in his phone. It works bloody well, he can see me and I can see him and the sound works.

Daniel
29th January 2010, 09:54
I think I just made a mess in my pants.....

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

That's pretty slick and a very sensible form factor too.

Daniel
29th January 2010, 10:01
*snigger*

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/28/article-1246801-08103FC5000005DC-202_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/28/article-1246801-08103FD9000005DC-344_306x409.jpg

Daniel
29th January 2010, 13:40
Hitler aint happy!

lQnT0zp8Ya4

Andrewmcm
29th January 2010, 14:06
I detect a distinct anti-Apple trend in this thread....

Daniel
29th January 2010, 14:10
How intuitive :p

To be fair the last two posts whilst not entirely serious do make a point don't you think?

Daniel
29th January 2010, 14:13
Oh and I did say the iPod G3 was alright! :p

Mark
29th January 2010, 14:39
Stupid article: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/29/apple_ipad_vs_e_book_readers/

Entirely misses the point of e-book readers.

Daniel
29th January 2010, 14:40
Stupid article: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/29/apple_ipad_vs_e_book_readers/

Entirely misses the point of e-book readers.
The Reg has really gone downhill. Lots of opinion and not much intelligence of late.

Jag_Warrior
29th January 2010, 19:18
"Fastest growing" is something which is often said but means nothing. Trying to make something new look like it's a challenge to the established products.

2008: 10 million people buy an Xbox
2009: 11 million people buy an Xbox

2008: 10 people buy an iPhone
2009: 20 people buy an iPhone.

Then iPhone sales are growing 10 times faster than those of the XBox.

That's very true. But in this case, according to Bloomberg, Wii sales were down by 50% in Q2 of 2009 (year over year), from over 5 million units down to around 2.2 million. In Q4 of 2009, Wii sales were down 35% and Xbox sales were down 2%. The only one of the major console makers to show a gain was Playstation (up 90% vs the previous year). In the last quarter of 2009, iPhone sale were up by 100% over the previous year, to 8.7 million units.

Like I said, I'm not into gaming at all. But from what I've read, the new focus seems to be on software for mobile devices in general, and not so much on the hardware.

Daniel
29th January 2010, 19:20
That's very true. But in this case, acccroding to Bloomberg, Wii sales were down by 50% in Q2 of 2009 (year over year), from over 5 million units down to around 2.2 million. In Q4 of 2009, Wii sales were down 35% and Xbox sales were down 2%. The only one of the major console makers to show a gain was Playstation (up 90% vs the previous year). In the last quarter of 2009, iPhone sale were up by 100% over the previous year, to 8.7 million units.
Journalism sure isn't what it used to be.

~100% of people use the Wii to play games, how many people used their iPhone to play games?

The person who came up with the conclusion that the iPhone is the fastest growing console in terms of sales is a tool.

Jag_Warrior
29th January 2010, 19:33
Journalism sure isn't what it used to be.

~100% of people use the Wii to play games, how many people used their iPhone to play games?

The person who came up with the conclusion that the iPhone is the fastest growing console in terms of sales is a tool.

I have no idea. It may be the case that since the device is "gaming capable" and there are loads of apps and games available, that is how it is being classified. Or there may have been additional talk of how many iPhone games and apps had been sold relative to console games. I didn't copy & paste the entire article, and the rest was on Bloomberg TV. So what I provided is just a summary. So, perhaps I am the tool. :p :D

But perhaps you have data which disputes the claim? ;)

Daniel
29th January 2010, 19:34
I have no idea. It may be the case that since the device is "gaming capable" and there are loads of apps and games available, that is how it is being classified. Or there may have been additional talk of how many iPhone games and apps had been sold relative to console games. I didn't copy & paste the entire article, and the rest was on Bloomberg TV. So what I provided is just a summary. So, perhaps I am the tool. :p :D
Nah, you couldn't misrepresent something like that. Unless of course you're a journalist ;)

Jag_Warrior
29th January 2010, 19:53
So... if the iPhone is not the fastest growing gaming device, then which one is? Is the iPhone even a gaming device?

Langdale Forest
29th January 2010, 19:54
How can the iPhone be classed as a gaming device?
It's a phone after all.

JRodrigues
29th January 2010, 19:59
How can the iPhone be classed as a gaming device?
It's a phone after all.

I'm not an expert in english, but:
.Gaming device -> device that let's you play games
.iPhone let's you play games -> gaming device

Macd
29th January 2010, 20:06
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/alextwo/b1d5787b.jpg

Langdale Forest
29th January 2010, 20:09
http://tinycomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/BigIPhone-1.jpg

Andrewmcm
29th January 2010, 23:45
Well people can pontificate about it all they like - I'm just looking forward to going into an Apple Store, having a play with one, and then deciding what I think of it.

Daniel
29th January 2010, 23:48
Well people can pontificate about it all they like - I'm just looking forward to going into an Apple Store, having a play with one, and then deciding what I think of it.
Of course, it may work well but think about how useful it's going to be on a train, on a bus, walking around etc. If I was holding something that heavy and expensive I'd want to use both hands.

veeten
30th January 2010, 01:23
looks like there will be plenty of competition for the iPad, especially from MSI.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-Tablet-Android-Nvidia-Tegra,9536.html

airshifter
30th January 2010, 06:25
Based on how much Daniel dislikes the iPhone, and the actual iPhone sales trends, this thing should be a big hit. Stock up early to have them for Christmas sales on Ebay! :)

Dave B
30th January 2010, 08:22
looks like there will be plenty of competition for the iPad, especially from MSI.
There already was a ton of competition for the iPad, much of it better spec'd, sitting on warehouse shelves gathering dust becuase nobody wanted it.

Along come turd-polisher in chief Steve Jobs to stick an Apple badge on the form factor and suddenly the world's gone nuts.

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2010, 08:28
Well, speaking as a Luddite on a lot of stuff ( believe me, I still don't see the point to the Kindle really) I think that for those who worship Apple, they will find ways to justify buying this thing, and guys like Daniel wont touch it. Apple will find new ways over time to improve what it does, and in time, it will be yet another niche for the company that almost went bust as PC's tried to just fill the market.

Personally, I would have a MAC over this HP machine if not for the price that is 2 and a half times more. Apples are better for not screwing up, and seem to work faster, so I am with Dylan on that, but not THAT much better.

This Ipad seems to be just putting lipstick on a pig.....

Daniel
30th January 2010, 10:43
Based on how much Daniel dislikes the iPhone, and the actual iPhone sales trends, this thing should be a big hit. Stock up early to have them for Christmas sales on Ebay! :)
Sadly you're probably right :) BUt there is a difference, when the iPhone was released EVERYONE already had a phone and all Apple had to do was convince them that the iPhone was better. With this they've got to convince people to buy something totally different.

race aficionado
30th January 2010, 17:12
If you want it and can afford it, buy it.

If you don't want it or can't afford it, then don't buy it.

Simple as that.

In my case, I know it will get much better in it's next generations and yes, it should be flash capable given that flash rocks and is used by most in the web world.

I can't afford one any way, I don't even own a personal lap top now that my editing facility takes all the toys and I use the big powerful Macs - which by the way, have always been very good to me.

I do have an iPhone though, and I love it.

I am a MAC man, koo koo ka choo

:s mokin:

Daniel
30th January 2010, 17:57
If you want it and can afford it, buy it.

If you don't want it or can't afford it, then don't buy it.

Simple as that.

In my case, I know it will get much better in it's next generations and yes, it should be flash capable given that flash rocks and is used by most in the web world.

I can't afford one any way, I don't even own a personal lap top now that my editing facility takes all the toys and I use the big powerful Macs - which by the way, have always been very good to me.

I do have an iPhone though, and I love it.

I am a MAC man, koo koo ka choo

You know what strikes me as strange with your post? Not once do you say

"OMFG I NEED an iPad" or "I wish I could afford an iPad"

Even some of my Mac zealot friends haven't really found it all that great an idea and that includes the girl I know from school who's a designer, LOVES Mac hardware and is living in San Francisco at the moment.

race aficionado
30th January 2010, 18:42

Even some of my Mac zealot friends haven't really found it all that great an idea and that includes the girl I know from school who's a designer, LOVES Mac hardware and is living in San Francisco at the moment.

Well, the only thing I NEED is my health, so that I can work and provide my self with what I want, and no, right now I don't want an iPad and I won't want one unless the upgrades bring it up a couple of notches - and I trust they will.

airshifter
31st January 2010, 05:15
Sadly you're probably right :) BUt there is a difference, when the iPhone was released EVERYONE already had a phone and all Apple had to do was convince them that the iPhone was better. With this they've got to convince people to buy something totally different.

I really don't look at it as something totally different. I suspect the majority of people that buy the small netbooks rarely do anything that the iPad won't do. Most people have either a large laptop or a home system along with that netbook or iPad.

It's just like any new electronic device. Most of them are based on want rather than need, and a lot of people will want an iPad or any other new gadget that is properly marketed.

Andrewmcm
31st January 2010, 13:55

Come on Daniel, you can do better than that. All humans need is food, water, shelter, and in these modern times, money to live. Everything else is just padding to make our lives more simple.

I don't need an iPad, I don't even need this laptop that I'm typing on at the moment. I don't need to visit this forum and futilely reply to people with an anti-Apple stance about an item that they'll never use properly yet criticise mercilessly.

Race afficiando is right, if you want it, buy it - if you don't, don't. I'm looking forward to the thread on that Microsoft tablet that you mention where you give it a similar critique.

gloomyDAY
31st January 2010, 18:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU&feature=player_embedded

This is from 2006.

Daniel
31st January 2010, 21:40
Come on Daniel, you can do better than that. All humans need is food, water, shelter, and in these modern times, money to live. Everything else is just padding to make our lives more simple.

I don't need an iPad, I don't even need this laptop that I'm typing on at the moment. I don't need to visit this forum and futilely reply to people with an anti-Apple stance about an item that they'll never use properly yet criticise mercilessly.

Race afficiando is right, if you want it, buy it - if you don't, don't. I'm looking forward to the thread on that Microsoft tablet that you mention where you give it a similar critique.

I can do better than that? Huh? When previous products have launched the Mac fanboys have been salivating at the prospect of getting their hands on one, with this you have to admit that the reaction is lukewarm at best.

What I mean though is that the iPhone is a phone and although it may be thin on specs compared to some other phones it still does the job. My point is that the iPad won't replace any products currently on the market. For all that Steve Jobs says it won't replace a netbook. The notebook form factor is tried, tested and loved and that's the reason why tablets never really took off in the first place despite tablets being a pet project of Bill Gates and Microsoft even making a tablet OS.

The funny thing is that I think the one product that Apple have made over the last few years that is actually useful but hasn't done very well is the Apple TV which is something I think people would benefit from and have an actual use for which is more than can be said for what is of course essentially just a big iPod touch......

There are some basic truths here which can't be denied

The iPad won't be a good reader because it doesn't do e-ink. I suspect it may do well as a magazine reader or a newspaper reader however. But I don't really see the point of the newspaper form factor in a digital world.

The iPad won't replace netbooks because it can't mutlitask and at best you will be typing one handed *snigger* Let's not forget that for a lot of people netbooks replace a laptop and the iPad just doesn't have what it takes to do that.

GridGirl
31st January 2010, 21:57
I don't know about the iPhone being the fastest selling games console during the last year but when you can buy games for as little as £0.59p I can see why some people would think it was. For that price your not so bothered if the game isn't so great. Me and the other half share an iTunes account and whatever game or application we buy then goes on both our iPhones making it more value for money. Personally, the only apple product I will be getting is an iPhone 4g when it finally gets released. :)

Malbec
31st January 2010, 22:16
The iPad won't replace netbooks because it can't mutlitask and at best you will be typing one handed *snigger* Let's not forget that for a lot of people netbooks replace a laptop and the iPad just doesn't have what it takes to do that.

So Daniel, why don't you also critique Dell products as much as you do Apple ones? Not all Dell products are successful and many are downright rubbish. How about Acer? How about anyone else?

Why are you so obsessed with Apple that you post so much about them? Is Steve Jobs slipping you a little cash to keep his company in the public eye?

Daniel
31st January 2010, 22:48
So Daniel, why don't you also critique Dell products as much as you do Apple ones? Not all Dell products are successful and many are downright rubbish. How about Acer? How about anyone else?

Why are you so obsessed with Apple that you post so much about them? Is Steve Jobs slipping you a little cash to keep his company in the public eye?
To be fair though no one talks about the cult of Acer or Dell now do they? ;)

Jag_Warrior
1st February 2010, 19:17
To be fair though no one talks about the cult of Acer or Dell now do they? ;)

There used to be something of a cult of personality surrounding Dell over here - but when the Dell "I'm gettin' a Dell, dude!" kid got caught up in a drug scandal, it began to die away.

I do know more than a few Microsoft apologists. I don't think they're as rabid as Apple fans though. Probably because Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years, and the company has been letting investors down for the past 6 or 7 years.

Daniel
1st February 2010, 19:19
There used to be something of a cult of personality surrounding Dell over here - but when the Dell "I'm gettin' a Dell, dude!" kid got caught up in a drug scandal, it began to die away.

I do know more than a few Microsoft apologists. I don't think they're as rabid as Apple fans though. Probably because Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years, and the company has been letting investors down for the past 6 or 7 years.

You're right, things are going terrible for Microsoft :)

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+7+is+Fastestselling+OS+in+History+Microsof t+Posts+Huge+Earnings/article17551.htm
So bad in fact that Bill Gates is giving 10 BILLION to charity
http://www.dailytech.com/Bill+and+Melinda+Gates+Foundation+Pledges+10B+for+ Vaccines/article17558.htm

Jag_Warrior
1st February 2010, 19:44
You're right, things are going terrible for Microsoft :)

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+7+is+Fastestselling+OS+in+History+Microsof t+Posts+Huge+Earnings/article17551.htm
So bad in fact that Bill Gates is giving 10 BILLION to charity
http://www.dailytech.com/Bill+and+Melinda+Gates+Foundation+Pledges+10B+for+ Vaccines/article17558.htm

The linked article just agrees with what I said: Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years.

A year ago Microsoft was struggling. The world's largest software firm had built up a massive user base, but it was losing their respect.

The company is (just now) finding success with Windows 7 - and maybe that success will continue. Who knows? But that does not discount the basic fact that MSFT has been dead money since 2003 or so.

And I'm happy that Gates is donating money to good causes. But his fortunes do not match up with those of anyone who invested in MSFT 6 or 7 years ago. I bought MSFT in 2003 and was lucky to bail out without losing money. I bought AAPL for my parents' account in 2004/05 at around $38. Since then, that stock has split and it now stands at $194.
AAPL vs MSFT - 5 year chart (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s=MSFT&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=AAPL)

I'm not a fanboi of various corporations. And neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates is going to do shizzle for me. I go with whichever equity makes me the most money. I'll invest in Hitler, Inc. if it seems poised to beat the S&P 500. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 21:21
The linked article just agrees with what I said: Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years.

The company is (just now) finding success with Windows 7 - and maybe that success will continue. Who knows? But that does not discount the basic fact that MSFT has been dead money since 2003 or so.

And I'm happy that Gates is donating money to good causes. But his fortunes do not match up with those of anyone who invested in MSFT 6 or 7 years ago. I bought MSFT in 2003 and was lucky to bail out without losing money. I bought AAPL for my parents' account in 2004/05 at around $38. Since then, that stock has split and it now stands at $194.
AAPL vs MSFT - 5 year chart (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5y&s=MSFT&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=AAPL)

I'm not a fanboi of various corporations. And neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates is going to do shizzle for me. I go with whichever equity makes me the most money. I'll invest in Hitler, Inc. if it seems poised to beat the S&P 500. ;)

I agree with you Jag on the merits of either stock. The way you talk of stock's, I swear you are channelling Kevin O'Leary from "Shark tank" or up here on the "Dragon's Den". He always talks about how he wants his money to meet more money and bring it home....and he would invest in the devil if he could get a return...

gloomyDAY
1st February 2010, 21:43
I'd rather spend my money on this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3 +Processor+-+NightSky+Black/9721671.p?id=1218159403499&skuId=9721671

$500 well spent!

Daniel
1st February 2010, 21:58
WTF do you want a keyboard for? Oh wait, you want something you can type on with both hands at 40 wpm don't you?

gloomyDAY
1st February 2010, 22:30
Yes, Gateway has also been throwing in the new i5 processor for the same price. Problem is that I didn't manage to buy one in time and they ALL sold out.

WTF do you want a keyboard for? Oh wait, you want something you can type on with both hands at 40 wpm don't you?Duh! Also, I don't want some ancient processor. That's why I don't own an Apple. Their technology is outdated and makes me quite baffled to see people throw away their money for such a lack of kit.

I do like Apple's OS, but decided that Ubuntu does the job.

Lousada
5th April 2010, 17:54
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/02/500x_evoipad2.jpg

300.000 iPads sold on the first day...

Jag_Warrior
5th April 2010, 19:01
AAPL... now stands at $194.

AAPL is now trading around $237.80. Up 22.58% since Feb. 1. New price targets average $300/share by the end of the year.

MSFT is around $29.19 right now. It closed at $28.41 on the day I made the above post (Feb. 1). Up 2.75%.

The S&P500 closed at 1089.19 on Feb 1. It stands around 1185.74 right now. Up 8.86%.

So MSFT didn't even produce the returns that a "dummy money" S&P500 index mutual fund would have.

I don't need an iPad - just like I don't feel like I need a smart phone (of ANY sort). Right now, I can't say that I even want one (I want an iPod Touch with a camera - hopefully out by late summer/early fall). But apparently there are enough people that feel like they want an iPad (and I've read that many small business owners are looking very hard at it) that 300K units moved in one day. If they even sell as few as 4 million units in the first year, this will likely be a game changer in this segment. But all that really matters to me is... hit that $300/share price target, Stevie Boy!!! You da man! :bounce:

Daniel
5th April 2010, 20:17
AAPL is now trading around $237.80. Up 22.58% since Feb. 1. New price targets average $300/share by the end of the year.

MSFT is around $29.19 right now. It closed at $28.41 on the day I made the above post (Feb. 1). Up 2.75%.

The S&P500 closed at 1089.19 on Feb 1. It stands around 1185.74 right now. Up 8.86%.

So MSFT didn't even produce the returns that a "dummy money" S&P500 index mutual fund would have.

I don't need an iPad - just like I don't feel like I need a smart phone (of ANY sort). Right now, I can't say that I even want one (I want an iPod Touch with a camera - hopefully out by late summer/early fall). But apparently there are enough people that feel like they want an iPad (and I've read that many small business owners are looking very hard at it) that 300K units moved in one day. If they even sell as few as 4 million units in the first year, this will likely be a game changer in this segment. But all that really matters to me is... hit that $300/share price target, Stevie Boy!!! You da man! :bounce:
I'll put my hand up and say that I just don't get it, I just don't understand how Apple can sell so much of something that's either not that great or that doesn't actually do anything more than its competitors do.

Jag_Warrior
5th April 2010, 21:02
I'll put my hand up and say that I just don't get it, I just don't understand how Apple can sell so much of something that's either not that great or that doesn't actually do anything more than its competitors do.

I didn't really get the concept of the Kindle Reader. To me, the experience of holding a well bound book adds to the reading experience. And even with a newspaper, I've always enjoyed holding it in my hand. But, for those who devour information from a variety of sources, or to whom books are just what the words are printed on, I guess the Kindle made/makes sense. And the iPad does what the Kindle does and that much more... screen type aside. There will be SO many more apps for the iPad... which means so much more potential for future development and possibilities for uses.

As one critic put it, Apple gets people in the market with a combination of hype and a solid reputation for making things that just work. I believe Apple is rated as the #1 rated brand among consumers (ahead of Ferrari, Mercedes, IBM, etc.). Some people are buying these things because of the news hype. To them, it's like a fashion statement and maybe a fad. But to others, they're most likely going to find legitimate uses that many of us have not yet considered. When the first PC's came out, how many people really made use of them? What was the practical use? I bought a Mac+ back in the day because I owned a business. Otherwise, what would I have needed it for... really? But now look at the market.

So I don't always try to decipher why people do what they do. As long as it involves a tangible product, I'm willing to go with the trend and let it ride. And so far, with AAPL, it's been a pretty sweet ride.

Dave B
6th April 2010, 08:41
Because the media love them. Nokia, RIM or Google can release hardware or an OS and barely get a mention; Apple come along and immediately get front page coverage for similar items. The Guardian published a clip of Stephen Fry unwrapping - unwrapping, not even using! - his iPad and fawning all over it like a long-lost relative, which in news terms was the non-event of the year.

Apple are, in many way, genius. They've taken quite ordinary products with relatively low specifications, improved the UI and marketed the crap out of it. You may not be able to polish a turd, but if you roll it in glitter and stick an Apple logo on it the public lap it up.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 09:00
You may not be able to polish a turd, but if you roll it in glitter and stick an Apple logo on it the public lap it up.
Hilarious quote, very well done. :up:

GridGirl
6th April 2010, 09:02
So has anyone on this forum with the exception of Steven Fry :p actually bought one?

Dave B
6th April 2010, 09:41
Why would anybody in their right mind buy the first generation of any Apple product, knowing full well that if you wait a couple of months the next version will be released addressing some but not all of the shortcomings of the original?

It's cynical marketing at its worst, and unbelievably it works a treat.

Mark
6th April 2010, 09:44
Yeah, I can absolutely see the point of the iPhone, a powerful mobile computer you keep in your pocket. But you can't keep the iPad in your pocket, you'll have to put it in a bag. If you are going to do that, might as well get a laptop.

Mark
6th April 2010, 11:27
Why would anybody in their right mind buy the first generation of any Apple product, knowing full well that if you wait a couple of months the next version will be released addressing some but not all of the shortcomings of the original?

It's cynical marketing at its worst, and unbelievably it works a treat.

Liked your picture message on facebook. With the iPad costing at minimum £328 (in the USA) why would you get one which effectively has stranged functionality compared with a less money for a fully functional laptop.

Dave B
6th April 2010, 12:04
Tee hee, I thought you'd like it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs109.snc3/15718_410390377268_627167268_5190135_4749488_n.jpg

I took this in Tesco earlier today. For the expected UK price of an iPad you could have two netbooks, which kick the Apple's backside in almost every respect. Ok they're not as sexy, and won't get Stephen Fry erect, but they completely trump the Fisher-Price offering from Jobs Inc.

veeten
6th April 2010, 14:56
Hp Slate. Looks nice, and uses Windows 7 as it's OS. Hmmmm...

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-Blog/HP-s-Slate-Device-Runs-The-Complete-Internet-Including-Flash/ba-p/53838;jsessionid=502BDB803C6E05C2D7B7E88FD9DD347E

Mark
7th April 2010, 08:10
Hp Slate. Looks nice, and uses Windows 7 as it's OS. Hmmmm...

That's the type of thing you need. A scaled down PC, not a scaled up phone. Why use an operating system which is locked down and you can't do much with?

Roamy
7th April 2010, 15:04
Yeah, I can absolutely see the point of the iPhone, a powerful mobile computer you keep in your pocket. But you can't keep the iPad in your pocket, you'll have to put it in a bag. If you are going to do that, might as well get a laptop.

I think they have a enclosure that hangs around your neck. As soon as you can effectively run skype on the ipad it will revolutionize the industry again.
the ideal setup will be:
1. 32 in flatscreen
2. newest Macbook pro 17
3. ipad for travel

then if you are on extended leave you would take your macbook pro. ipad will be capable of running Apple's business app and those of you who have never used them they kick butt on microsoft junk. also there is a company Stone Design. I think they will port most of there apps over as well and the have some real good one. such as create. I am just waiting for the skype deal and then the iphone will go!!

Mark
7th April 2010, 18:37
Why wait for Apple to agree things? When you can have a general purpose machine that runs everything.

Jag_Warrior
7th April 2010, 20:02
That's the type of thing you need. A scaled down PC, not a scaled up phone. Why use an operating system which is locked down and you can't do much with?

Wouldn't the same be said of Windows? It's not open source either.

The market and consumer demand will determine which apps are popular and which are not. As well, the market will determine if this device will be successful longer term... once the hype wears off. People can think of 1001 reasons why it shouldn't be successful, but all it takes is one reason (taken up by million sof people) for it to be successful.

To someone like myself, Twitter (and most of these social networking sites) is just the dumbest, silliest thing on earth. I truly don't get it. But the market has spoken and what I think doesn't matter.

Daniel
7th April 2010, 21:46
Wouldn't the same be said of Windows? It's not open source either.

The market and consumer demand will determine which apps are popular and which are not. As well, the market will determine if this device will be successful longer term... once the hype wears off. People can think of 1001 reasons why it shouldn't be successful, but all it takes is one reason (taken up by million sof people) for it to be successful.

To someone like myself, Twitter (and most of these social networking sites) is just the dumbest, silliest thing on earth. I truly don't get it. But the market has spoken and what I think doesn't matter.
I don't think you understand what Mark means.

With Windows Mobile you or I can write a program and run it on a phone

With an iPhone it needs to be approved by Apple to run on it and this invariably means that you end up paying for stuff that you can get for free elsewhere.

Daniel
7th April 2010, 22:21
I think they have a enclosure that hangs around your neck. As soon as you can effectively run skype on the ipad it will revolutionize the industry again.
the ideal setup will be:
1. 32 in flatscreen
2. newest Macbook pro 17
3. ipad for travel

then if you are on extended leave you would take your macbook pro. ipad will be capable of running Apple's business app and those of you who have never used them they kick butt on microsoft junk. also there is a company Stone Design. I think they will port most of there apps over as well and the have some real good one. such as create. I am just waiting for the skype deal and then the iphone will go!!
WTF? Wearing an iPad around your neck?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you serious fousto?

Roamy
8th April 2010, 01:45
yea try it dAniel before you knock it

Rollo
8th April 2010, 02:00
No-one has asked the most critical question about the iPad...

Will it blend? That is the question.

Enjoy.
http://tiny.cc/24jy8 :D

Mark
8th April 2010, 08:23
No-one has asked the most critical question about the iPad...

Will it blend? That is the question.

Enjoy.
http://tiny.cc/24jy8 :D

Only if you fold it first :D

Dave B
8th April 2010, 09:15
WTF? Wearing an iPad around your neck?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you serious fousto?
Flavor Fousto... :D

Daniel
8th April 2010, 12:33
ROFL

Isn't it spelt flava though Dave?

Dave B
8th April 2010, 15:23
Erm, maybe... :uhoh:

Jag_Warrior
8th April 2010, 18:24
I don't think you understand what Mark means.

With Windows Mobile you or I can write a program and run it on a phone

With an iPhone it needs to be approved by Apple to run on it and this invariably means that you end up paying for stuff that you can get for free elsewhere.

I don't have an iPhone/iPod Touch (yet). But as I understand it, some of the apps are free. As for writing programs, for me at least, that's a non-issue. I sometimes write G-code programs for fun and to stay in practice, but I haven't actually written any code for a compter since the early 1980's... and that was just in a Basic class that I was taking. I seriously doubt that figures into very many computer or smart phone purchase decisions. In fact, what's killing the Palm Pre right now is the fact that so few programmers are writing apps for it. I know it has its own OS, as does RIM's Blackberry. But I've just not heard of anyone (average buyers/users) speak of writing their own apps as a deal maker or breaker.

I dunno. But if it has a camera, I will have the next iPod Touch. There's an F1 app that I've heard is pretty good. If my company would cover at least some of the cost, I'd probably get an iPhone if/when it migrates over to Verizon.

Malbec
8th April 2010, 18:49
I don't have an iPhone/iPod Touch (yet). But as I understand it, some of the apps are free.

As far as I'm aware most of the apps are free although they are vetted by Apple first before being made available. Whilst that may limit the freedom of software writers it also ensures that the software available can be checked to ensure compatibility so it doesn't cause problems with the iPhone.

Still it doesn't seem to be an issue as there are still far more apps available for the iPhone than windows mobile.

Although I have an Apple for home use I refuse to buy an iPhone out of general principle. Whilst I have no problem paying a premium for a more reliable product at the point of purchase, I refuse to pay a monthly premium on top for the privilege of using that product. Although this has meant that I've had to put up with a vastly inferior product (windows mobile) I'm hoping to rectify that situation soon with an HTC running Android.

I'm still astonished by the degree of vitriol directed at Apple on this thread. As far as I'm aware we live in free economies, companies like Apple are free to spend their money R/Ding whatever product they like and we the consumer are free to buy whichever of those products take our fancy. I genuinely don't see why Apple behaving in this way should attract the degree of vitriol it has.

As for Fousto's point that you should try it before knocking it, I find that many people who have purchased Apple products like the iPhone have gone on to switching from Windows to Apple in short order... That does say a lot about the product.

DexDexter
8th April 2010, 19:35
As far as I'm aware most of the apps are free although they are vetted by Apple first before being made available. Whilst that may limit the freedom of software writers it also ensures that the software available can be checked to ensure compatibility so it doesn't cause problems with the iPhone.

Still it doesn't seem to be an issue as there are still far more apps available for the iPhone than windows mobile.

Although I have an Apple for home use I refuse to buy an iPhone out of general principle. Whilst I have no problem paying a premium for a more reliable product at the point of purchase, I refuse to pay a monthly premium on top for the privilege of using that product. Although this has meant that I've had to put up with a vastly inferior product (windows mobile) I'm hoping to rectify that situation soon with an HTC running Android.

I'm still astonished by the degree of vitriol directed at Apple on this thread. As far as I'm aware we live in free economies, companies like Apple are free to spend their money R/Ding whatever product they like and we the consumer are free to buy whichever of those products take our fancy. I genuinely don't see why Apple behaving in this way should attract the degree of vitriol it has.

As for Fousto's point that you should try it before knocking it, I find that many people who have purchased Apple products like the iPhone have gone on to switching from Windows to Apple in short order... That does say a lot about the product.

When a company markets its products like they have invented electricity when in reality they are ancient, it does get onto people's nerves. Does iPad have a USB port? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Malbec
8th April 2010, 20:56
When a company markets its products like they have invented electricity when in reality they are ancient, it does get onto people's nerves. Does iPad have a USB port? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So name a company that doesn't market its products to the best of its ability?

Daniel
8th April 2010, 21:04
Microsoft :p

Malbec
8th April 2010, 21:05
Microsoft :p

lol, its not for want of trying though!

Rollo
8th April 2010, 21:09

Vauxhall.

Oops: I thought I was replying to another thread, but in the light of the above, it still works surprisingly well.

Daniel
8th April 2010, 22:55
lol, its not for want of trying though!
To be fair Microsoft are too polite. They will never achieve anything with their annoyingly sickly sweet I'm a PC ads.

Personally I loved the Seinfeld ads

11NOblvuEpU
UkQ6ETXSpYo
IZLJ7B1rHm8

I can't imagine Steve Jobs ever doing that :)

Daniel
9th April 2010, 00:09
Oops :D

http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+Hot+iPad+is+Overheating+WiFi+Not+Working+fo r+Some+Users/article18075.htm

Mark
9th April 2010, 09:17
What Apple did right, is like with iTunes, they constructed a very easy way of getting applications onto your phone. Like with most things Apple has done they aren't new, far from it, but they are easy.

e.g. Nokia Symbian phones and Microsoft Mobile phones were able to run applications for years before Apple came along. Except that it was usually a matter of downloading a file from your website, then manually transferring it onto your phone with a USB cable, then manually installing it once it got there. Easy enough for some, but then it's amazing how many people don't even know what a USB cable is...

Mark
9th April 2010, 13:18
Funny, isn't it, how when Apple announces a new OS, it's lead story on the BBC News technology section. But Symbian (which is used by far more people) doesn't warrant a mention when they do the same.

Same as "iPad users have trouble with WiFi", what a non-story! I didn't notice "N97 users have trouble with GPS" being in there...

DexDexter
9th April 2010, 15:35
What Apple did right, is like with iTunes, they constructed a very easy way of getting applications onto your phone. Like with most things Apple has done they aren't new, far from it, but they are easy.

e.g. Nokia Symbian phones and Microsoft Mobile phones were able to run applications for years before Apple came along. Except that it was usually a matter of downloading a file from your website, then manually transferring it onto your phone with a USB cable, then manually installing it once it got there. Easy enough for some, but then it's amazing how many people don't even know what a USB cable is...

I agree, they are very good at making things easy to use and that's commendable. My N97 mini, for example, has gadgets like no other but this machine is difficult and complex to use, obviously an engineer-driven device.

Dave B
12th April 2010, 09:43
Now it becomes clear why Apple are so anti-Flash: banning it allows them a virtual monopoly on their own i-Ad advertising programme (40% of all revenue from advertisers!) without having to give any money to that nasty Google.

Honestly, if Microsoft behaved like Apple they'd be in the European Court before you could say "Open source? No thanks!"

Daniel
12th April 2010, 12:24
Now it becomes clear why Apple are so anti-Flash: banning it allows them a virtual monopoly on their own i-Ad advertising programme (40% of all revenue from advertisers!) without having to give any money to that nasty Google.

Honestly, if Microsoft behaved like Apple they'd be in the European Court before you could say "Open source? No thanks!"
and of course they have control over the apps so Apple will always get a cut from the apps which aren't free.

Langdale Forest
14th April 2010, 13:33
People are already destroying iPads.

KJ8il5kEAwY

race aficionado
14th April 2010, 16:34
People are already destroying iPads.

How stupid. :dozey:

I played with one at it blew me away.

I will wait for a couple of generations until they have added what they already know that they are going to add.

The first generations are for those who just have to have it now and for those who want to have their faces on Youtube.

Jag_Warrior
17th April 2010, 11:05
How stupid. :dozey:

I played with one at it blew me away.

I will wait for a couple of generations until they have added what they already know that they are going to add.

The first generations are for those who just have to have it now and for those who want to have their faces on Youtube.

I remember when the Mazda Miata first came out and people were paying $5K-$10K over list just to get one of the first ones. The same kind of crazy behavior surrounded the Xboxes and Playstaions. I really don't understand that way of thinking.

06 Apr 2010 12:49 User comments (5)

Bloomberg has reported today that listings of the Apple iPad have surged on eBay since launch this past weekend, mainly due to early adopters overseas who want the device.

At its craziest, a buyer in the UK purchased a 64GB Wi-Fi version for $5000 USD, an 800 percent premium from the U.S. retail price. The iPad goes on sale in Europe later this month.

Adds Carl Howe, analyst at the Yankee Group: "This happens with nearly any hot product. Some people buy up copies and try to sell them on EBay to make a profit. There were iPhones going for $2,000 when they first came out."

eBay says the average selling price for an iPad heading into launch was $777 USD.

Andrewmcm
29th April 2010, 22:50
Sorry Daniel, looks like that Microsoft tablet won't see the light of day after all.... http://gizmodo.com/5527442/

Daniel
29th April 2010, 23:23
Sorry Daniel, looks like that Microsoft tablet won't see the light of day after all.... http://gizmodo.com/5527442/
Doh!

Dave B
30th April 2010, 08:16
Probably for the best: MS don't exactly have a great track record of making hardware (Xbox excluded). They're better off sticking to writing the OS for inclusion by other manufacturers, although with the rise of open source like Android they risk pricing themselves out of the market.

Jag_Warrior
27th May 2010, 20:54
I thought it would be fun to revisit this thread since iPad shipments are well beating early analysts' estimates. And then there was this bit of news: yesterday Apple took the crown from Microsoft as the most valuable technology company in the world (by market capitalization).

It was the day a million iPads trumped a billion PCs.

On Wednesday, Apple passed Microsoft to become the world's most valuable technology company based on market capitalization.

While the two may end up trading positions for weeks and months to come, the unseating of the Redmond software giant captures the rise of consumer gadgets over workhorse corporate software.

Microsoft continually has dismissed Apple for its single-digit percentage of the PC market. With the launch of the iPod, iPhone and iPad, however, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has continually dazzled Wall Street traders with the new, new thing.

Traders appear somewhat bored by Windows and Office, even if the software continues to rake in billions of dollars.

As Roger Sterling said in the TV show "Mad Men" about ad accounts, "Old business is just old business."

Microsoft stock fell 4 percent Wednesday to close at $25.01, which figures out to a market capitalization of $219.1 billion. Apple stock fell 0.5 percent to close at $244.11, giving the company a market capitalization of $222.1 billion.

Apple worth more than Microsoft (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoftpri0/2011967918_appleworthmorethanmicrosoft.html)

anthonyvop
27th May 2010, 22:20
Not everyone is jumping on the Apple bandwagon

Major media companies, including Time Warner and NBC Universal, have indicated that they will not change their online videos to the modern HTML5 format, which is compatible with Apple’s iPad.

Currently, those companies’ Web sites use the competing Adobe Flash plugin to display video content like television shows and movies. Apple does not allow Flash to run in its mobile Web browsers, meaning that iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad users cannot access Flash video content.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/27/nbc-time-warner-wont-change-their-video-players-to-work-with-ipad/#ixzz0pANk2sLQ

race aficionado
28th May 2010, 00:09
Not everyone is jumping on the Apple bandwagon

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/27/nbc-time-warner-wont-change-their-video-players-to-work-with-ipad/#ixzz0pANk2sLQ

I do hope they figure that issue out soon.

Both Macs and Windows can play both windows media and apple's Quick Time files by just downloading the free plug ins.

I would love to be able to use flash videos on my Mac website programs and watch flash file on my iPhone.

All we have to do is wait and see . . . . .

anthonyvop
28th May 2010, 02:22
I do hope they figure that issue out soon.

Both Macs and Windows can play both windows media and apple's Quick Time files by just downloading the free plug ins.

I would love to be able to use flash videos on my Mac website programs and watch flash file on my iPhone.

All we have to do is wait and see . . . . .

I have a Blackberry and I have no need for an overpriced Apple so I see no need to worry.

race aficionado
28th May 2010, 03:59
I have a Blackberry and I have no need for an overpriced Apple so I see no need to worry.

Good for you.

Mark
28th May 2010, 07:29
I used to hate the entire concept of the iPhone -- but I have to admit, when the new version comes out next month. I intend on buying one!

Hate to say it, but Steve Jobs is right about flash too. It is buggy and a resource hog and the sooner everyone moves on from it the better. It's not just Apple products where it doesn't work, 64-bit Linux too.

Roamy
28th May 2010, 07:36
Welcome to reality Mark - Now lets work on Tony :)

Adobe is on the short course to hell!

With Win7 emulating so much of mac they may as well merge and take it to google.

I am dumping my iphone for a ipad and run skype.

DexDexter
28th May 2010, 07:45
No Flash no USB, what's next? A floppy disk? People queuing for this thing take stupidity into new lengths...

Roamy
28th May 2010, 08:10
No Flash no USB, what's next? A floppy disk? People queuing for this thing take stupidity into new lengths...

maybe you can get some bluetooth installed in your Lada!

Mark
28th May 2010, 09:20

Although I'm after an iPhone, I do have to agree that for the most part you'd be better of getting a small laptop than an iPad, but if you're happy with it, go for it!

DexDexter
28th May 2010, 19:04
maybe you can get some bluetooth installed in your Lada!

I don't get this at all... Lada? But a 21st century device without an usb port, that is really something...

gloomyDAY
28th May 2010, 19:19
I don't get this at all... Lada? But a 21st century device without an usb port, that is really something...I don't understand this rationalization either Dex.

You spend so much and limit yourself to many key features.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2010, 14:49
I still don't understand what they are for :confused:

GridGirl
1st June 2010, 13:28
The other half's best mate got one on the day they came out. We all knew he would get one but he insisted he wouldn't until atleast the second generation. He's less annoying than Jake Humphrey but still annoyingly showing off he has one. Note to self: Must look interested and ask lots of questions.

MrJan
1st June 2010, 14:11
I still don't understand what they are for :confused:

To be flashy. They're all about style over substance which is why people pay big money for them.

Dave B
1st June 2010, 15:18
Get a iPed instead. $130 and runs Android :p

Dave B
1st June 2010, 15:34
Ooops, forgot the link - and it's only $105.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/may/31/iped-ipad-android-tablet-computers

odykas
1st June 2010, 15:45
Sorry, but iPad is useless! :D

Daniel
1st June 2010, 15:57
Says the Mac user :p

MrJan
1st June 2010, 16:05
Get a iPed instead. $130 and runs Android :p

Are they actually any good? They're on eBay from £85, made by Eken or someone.

odykas
1st June 2010, 16:25
Says the Mac user :p

My mac runs Linux and paid nothing for it! http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/contract.gif

odykas
1st June 2010, 16:42
Of course I'm not proud to use a mac, but that's life :p :

Mark
1st June 2010, 16:58
The way I see it, is that all it effectively is, is an enlarged version of the iPhone. But isn't the point of an iPhone that it's small enough to put in your pocket, and you can make phone calls? Both of these don't apply to the iPad!

race aficionado
1st June 2010, 17:16
The way I see it, is that all it effectively is, is an enlarged version of the iPhone. But isn't the point of an iPhone that it's small enough to put in your pocket, and you can make phone calls? Both of these don't apply to the iPad!

Yes, it essentially seems to be a larger version of the iPhone. But it will soon be much more powerful.

What I look forward to for whenever I by the iPad on the generation that is going to have all the goodies that they know that they can fill it up with - is that I will be able to read the BIG letters on the screen. :)

My eyes are getting to be a liability without my reading glasses and every time I want to read something on my iPhone I have to have my glasses on (If I can locate them).

I will of course always have my phone in my pocket as I travel but if I can also have an iPad to work and play with, I will also do so. - and again - this is just me - in this forun of ours it's tough to say something that we like without someone else jumping on our throat telling us what their preference is and at the same time remind us that we are a dork to think as we do :p :

*this of course is not pointed at you Mark :)

Again, to each his own - and I have managed to play with one and I loved it. I have also seen clients use them in both practical and fun ways.
They were happy - and as sales will testify , many more people are happy with their iPads too.

World Cup starting soon!
Yay!!!!!

airshifter
2nd June 2010, 01:54
Yes, it essentially seems to be a larger version of the iPhone. But it will soon be much more powerful.

What I look forward to for whenever I by the iPad on the generation that is going to have all the goodies that they know that they can fill it up with - is that I will be able to read the BIG letters on the screen. :)

My eyes are getting to be a liability without my reading glasses and every time I want to read something on my iPhone I have to have my glasses on (If I can locate them).

I will of course always have my phone in my pocket as I travel but if I can also have an iPad to work and play with, I will also do so. - and again - this is just me - in this forun of ours it's tough to say something that we like without someone else jumping on our throat telling us what their preference is and at the same time remind us that we are a dork to think as we do :p :

Again, to each his own - and I have managed to play with one and I loved it. I have also seen clients use them in both practical and fun ways.
They were happy - and as sales will testify , many more people are happy with their iPads too.

World Cup starting soon!
Yay!!!!!

Come on Race... two million sales in two months proves nothing right? :D

anthonyvop
2nd June 2010, 02:36
Come on Race... two million sales in two months proves nothing right? :D

Proves nothing.

65,130,587 people voted for Obama......'nuff said.

Roamy
2nd June 2010, 06:17
Tony please don't downgrade the ipad comparing it to obama.
This is a device with memory and integrity!!

Mark
2nd June 2010, 08:18

If it works for you then, great!
I think you have two sides of things here. You've got phones at one end and fully blown computers (PC's / Macs et al) at the other.

Now the iPad is an enlarged phone. Personally I think it would have been better if it had been a shrunken laptop instead, running full OS X.

GridGirl
2nd June 2010, 13:26
The only apple product I own is an iphone and I don't have any great desire to expand my collection of apple products. Both me and the other half both have iphones so we must have purchased more than 100 free and paid for apps since we've had them. We were looking on itunes out of curiosity the other day and only 5 of the apps we have purchased are currently compatible with the ipad. Personally, I think the apps make the iphone. If the ipad is an oversized iphone with no apps I don't quite know why you'd rush out to buy one. If I was going to buy one I think I'd at least wait until you can get some decent apps for it. :s :)

airshifter
3rd June 2010, 01:15
Proves nothing.

The vote was free, and the IPad doesn't come with free health care or child tax credits. :D

anthonyvop
3rd June 2010, 02:29
The vote was free, and the IPad doesn't come with free health care or child tax credits. :D
.......or a USB outlet or a Flash Player.

tmx
3rd June 2010, 04:05
Asus eeePC T91MT vs iPad (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/05/10-reasons-t91mt-is-better-than-ipad.html)

And if you know what you're doing you can install a full Mac OS X to the eeePC and triple boot it with Windows and Linux.

The iPad would be useful for padding people in the butt and as padding for your butt.

DexDexter
3rd June 2010, 20:01
Proves nothing.

I never knew there were that many intelligent people in the US... ;)

anthonyvop
3rd June 2010, 20:32
I never knew there were that many intelligent people in the US... ;)

And they are getting smarter.
Obama's Approval rating as of today.

Strongly Approve 26%
Total Disapprove 52%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_history

race aficionado
3rd June 2010, 21:15

Strongly Approve 26%
Total Disapprove 52%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/obama_approval_index_history

Good come back anthony . . . . but no body asked me.

anthonyvop
3rd June 2010, 21:19
Good come back anthony . . . . but no body asked me.

Thanks.

I find it amusing how there are still some Euro's who are still buying that "hope and change" hokum.

MrJan
3rd June 2010, 23:26
Thanks.

I find it amusing how there are still some Euro's who are still buying that "hope and change" hokum.

Not really, we just realise that we'd all be f**ked if McCain was in charge ;)

race aficionado
4th June 2010, 00:40
Thanks.

No really . . . :p
Nobody asked me.

The polls are always a quandry to me.

Has anybody living in the US that is a member of this forum ever been called and asked about the presidents approval or dissaproval ratings?

Any way, not to get out of topic . . . . Apple rocks!

anthonyvop
4th June 2010, 01:33
Not really, we just realise that we'd all be f**ked if McCain was in charge ;)

Yep and 26% of Americans agree with you! Then again more and more people are asking themselves why did they vote for Jimmy Carter Lite!

Roamy
4th June 2010, 03:42
Asus eeePC T91MT vs iPad (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/05/10-reasons-t91mt-is-better-than-ipad.html)

And if you know what you're doing you can install a full Mac OS X to the eeePC and triple boot it with Windows and Linux.

The iPad would be useful for padding people in the butt and as padding for your butt.

why in the hell would I want such a ugly configuration. There is no need beyond Apple. I spent years building openstep on asus PC's That was the only way to run NeXTSTep. But now I am one happy cadet I stayed loyal to the mark. No computing hassles - hardware works for yrs and yrs - I still have a g400 titanium working daily. God only knows why anyone would want linux. I would do windows 7 before Linux. People with Linux drive Ladas

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2010, 23:02
What I find interesting about the iPad is that people are buying them at a snappy pace... and then trying to figure out what they'll do. It reminds me of the first personal computers: people bought them, looked at them for a few days and then tried to find a use for them.

Considering the size of the tablet market when Apple entered it, 2 million iPads sold in roughly two months is extremely impressive. It's well on pace to exceed the most optimistic analysts' estimates at launch. They should hit 8 million by year end. Anyone who discounts that clearly doesn't understand the basics of business. One can either enter an established market with a "better" product (or a cheaper price)... OR, one can basically create a new market where there was none before. Apple has done a bit of both here, but basically they've carved a new consumer market out of what had been not much more than a playpen for geeks.

Why are people so drawn to the iPad? Various reasons, I'd say. Yeah, some of it is probably the hype and the kewl factor, or the fact that it's made by Apple (having one of the highest rated brands in the world and being known for solid customer service never hurts). And some are probably being bought by people who love to have the newest, latest/greatest gadget on the block. But some are also being bought by people who have an idea of what they want to do with them before they walk into the Apple Store. My doctor has bought two of them (so far). He has plans to integrate them into his medical office and his practice. Will there be an app for that? Well, there are apparently tens of thousands already - hundreds of thousands if you count the iPhone apps that work on the iPad. Apple has a unique approach with the iPad/iPhone category. As consumers demand certain types of apps, developers write those apps. From what I've read, Apple is content to address the consumer market for now. Imagine where this platform will go in years to come if/once they start focusing on the business/corporate side. At one time, the iPhone was a basically a consumer only device. But I just read that 75% of the S&P100 are now placing iPhones in their systems. What once was the domain of the Blackberry, Apple (and the Google Droid) is now encroaching.

It's possibe (and rather easy) to attach a USB device to an iPad using the connector. And while many do, I personally don't really care about Flash - in the next two or three years, I doubt that objection will mean much anyway (as Flash is losing share so fast). I think Jobs should/could have incorporated Flash in these early iPad versions, and then bounced it once HTML 5 caught on more. But, he wanted to throw down the gauntlet, so here we are. With a big enough share, he can help popularize HTML 5... just as he has tablets with the iPad. But still, as yet, I have no great need (or desire) for an iPad. Once they get to the third generation or so, and I can see a clearer need or desire, I probably will get one. I've held off on buying an iPod Touch for years, so I could get one with a camera. By this Christmas, my wish for a camera should be in place and I'll buy one. I'm already thinking of what I want engraved on the back - something in Latin (of course), but I haven't made up my mind yet. To hook me on the iPad, one thing I'd want is easier printing capability (wireless). But for now, I have "grocery getter" Windows based boxes and bricks running my trading and business applications at home, a POS Dell at work, I'll have an iPod Touch to take on the road for fun, and I plan on getting a MacBook Pro next year for a solid, reliable (fun) laptop/road computer. I don't have a smart phone and I don't want a smart phone at this point. I see why some other people have them. But I also see people with smart phones who have them just because they're the thing to have... kinda like the iPad. ;)

But as an AAPL shareholder, I say, don't buy one... BUY TWO iPads! Fantastic job by Apple and Steve Jobs on bringing this device to market... on basically CREATING a market. Amazing! :up: The purpose of a for-profit corporation is to enhance shareholder value. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is just a consequence or a secondary concern. In recent years, the management class has forgotten that... some owners let the management class forget that. The plebs have never fully understood it to begin with. But it's just an economic fact. Jobs/Apple gets that. Schmidt/Google gets that. Ballmer/Microsoft, not so much - Gates needs to help Ballmer with that lesson by lighting a fire under him or firing him. I read part of Ballmer's responses to basic questions at a conference a day or so ago. Pitiful. Bill Gates should just go ahead and realize his mistake and bounce Ballmer. That guy was probably born a day late... because he's been nothing BUT a day late and a dollar short since he took over as CEO of MSFT.

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2010, 23:43

Strongly Approve 26%
Total Disapprove 52%

Pretty much the same numbers and trend that's been in place since last Novenmber, and pretty much the same numbers that Ronald Reagan had at this stage of his Presidency. Hmm. :confused:

The American people wanted someone who would snap his fingers and make it all better again. They're not getting it (fast enough), and so many are not happy with the state of the economy (specifically jobs). Surprised? I'm not - and I don't blame them for being unhappy. But I'm also under no illusion that a President McCain (President Palin or anybody else) could have made the economy snap back any faster than it has. People developed similar (unrealistic) high hopes when Reagan first took office. His numbers sank like a rock as unemployment kept going up for years after he was elected. The average American doesn't understand the lag inherent in fiscal or monetary policy... in fact, most probably don't even know the difference between fiscal and monetary policy. They need to just keep watching Dancing With the Stars and eating another Hot Pocket. The Dems will lose seats this fall. The Repubs will gain seats. Nothing will change. And the various party players and loyal t-shirt wearers will make excuses. And the plebs... well, they'll gripe about that too... as they have for thousands of years. :dozey:

And with all that said, WTF does this have to do with the iPad or Apple Computer??? Apple is selling iPads and making money. And longer term AAPL shareholders are making money. Those are both good things. Yes? Ya damn skippy it is! :bounce:

anthonyvop
5th June 2010, 00:03
P

And with all that said, WTF does this have to do with the iPad or Apple Computer???

I just love watching illogical, liberals knee-jerk reactions,

Jag_Warrior
5th June 2010, 03:01
I just love watching illogical, liberals knee-jerk reactions,

If being an "illogical liberal" means not living in a fantasy world of delusional paranoia, where facts and data are ignored, Sarah Palin is considered to be intelligent and the earth is 6,000 years old... then thank you
very much. :wave:

Gee, that's almost as hurtful as being called "stinky" by a man covered in feces. :dozey:

But again, your foolish diatribe has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Of course, in the world of the silly & the scared, maybe it does. Who knows?

Daniel
5th June 2010, 08:30
What I find interesting about the iPad is that people are buying them at a snappy pace... and then trying to figure out what they'll do. It reminds me of the first personal computers: people bought them, looked at them for a few days and then tried to find a use for them.

Considering the size of the tablet market when Apple entered it, 2 million iPads sold in roughly two months is extremely impressive. It's well on pace to exceed the most optimistic analysts' estimates at launch. They should hit 8 million by year end. Anyone who discounts that clearly doesn't understand the basics of business. One can either enter an established market with a "better" product (or a cheaper price)... OR, one can basically create a new market where there was none before. Apple has done a bit of both here, but basically they've carved a new consumer market out of what had been not much more than a playpen for geeks.

Why are people so drawn to the iPad? Various reasons, I'd say. Yeah, some of it is probably the hype and the kewl factor, or the fact that it's made by Apple (having one of the highest rated brands in the world and being known for solid customer service never hurts). And some are probably being bought by people who love to have the newest, latest/greatest gadget on the block. But some are also being bought by people who have an idea of what they want to do with them before they walk into the Apple Store. My doctor has bought two of them (so far). He has plans to integrate them into his medical office and his practice. Will there be an app for that? Well, there are apparently tens of thousands already - hundreds of thousands if you count the iPhone apps that work on the iPad. Apple has a unique approach with the iPad/iPhone category. As consumers demand certain types of apps, developers write those apps. From what I've read, Apple is content to address the consumer market for now. Imagine where this platform will go in years to come if/once they start focusing on the business/corporate side. At one time, the iPhone was a basically a consumer only device. But I just read that 75% of the S&P100 are now placing iPhones in their systems. What once was the domain of the Blackberry, Apple (and the Google Droid) is now encroaching.

It's possibe (and rather easy) to attach a USB device to an iPad using the connector. And while many do, I personally don't really care about Flash - in the next two or three years, I doubt that objection will mean much anyway (as Flash is losing share so fast). I think Jobs should/could have incorporated Flash in these early iPad versions, and then bounced it once HTML 5 caught on more. But, he wanted to throw down the gauntlet, so here we are. With a big enough share, he can help popularize HTML 5... just as he has tablets with the iPad. But still, as yet, I have no great need (or desire) for an iPad. Once they get to the third generation or so, and I can see a clearer need or desire, I probably will get one. I've held off on buying an iPod Touch for years, so I could get one with a camera. By this Christmas, my wish for a camera should be in place and I'll buy one. I'm already thinking of what I want engraved on the back - something in Latin (of course), but I haven't made up my mind yet. To hook me on the iPad, one thing I'd want is easier printing capability (wireless). But for now, I have "grocery getter" Windows based boxes and bricks running my trading and business applications at home, a POS Dell at work, I'll have an iPod Touch to take on the road for fun, and I plan on getting a MacBook Pro next year for a solid, reliable (fun) laptop/road computer. I don't have a smart phone and I don't want a smart phone at this point. I see why some other people have them. But I also see people with smart phones who have them just because they're the thing to have... kinda like the iPad. ;)

But as an AAPL shareholder, I say, don't buy one... BUY TWO iPads! Fantastic job by Apple and Steve Jobs on bringing this device to market... on basically CREATING a market. Amazing! :up: The purpose of a for-profit corporation is to enhance shareholder value. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else is just a consequence or a secondary concern. In recent years, the management class has forgotten that... some owners let the management class forget that. The plebs have never fully understood it to begin with. But it's just an economic fact. Jobs/Apple gets that. Schmidt/Google gets that. Ballmer/Microsoft, not so much - Gates needs to help Ballmer with that lesson by lighting a fire under him or firing him. I read part of Ballmer's responses to basic questions at a conference a day or so ago. Pitiful. Bill Gates should just go ahead and realize his mistake and bounce Ballmer. That guy was probably born a day late... because he's been nothing BUT a day late and a dollar short since he took over as CEO of MSFT.
A fool is easily parted with his money as they say :)

As always the iPad is too big to use properly on the move and not as capable as a notebook when you're sitting down.

I think that certain places like doctors as you mentioned will be able to make good use of this. But I think for most people it'll be a nice bit of tech which is a bit useless especially if you've already got an iPhone and a desktop or notebook.

anthonyvop
5th June 2010, 13:55
If being an "illogical liberal" means not living in a fantasy world of delusional paranoia, where facts and data are ignored, Sarah Palin is considered to be intelligent and the earth is 6,000 years old... then thank you

Except for the Palin comment that ain't me.

Hmmmmm....
Sarah Palin. Elected Mayor, Elected Governor, G.O.P. Vice Presidential Candidate, Best selling author......and you have accomplished what?

Jag_Warrior
5th June 2010, 20:18
Except for the Palin comment that ain't me.

Well, the first step in overcoming mental illness is to first admit that you have a problem.

Hmmmmm....
Sarah Palin. Elected Mayor, Elected Governor, G.O.P. Vice Presidential Candidate, Best selling author......and you have accomplished what?

Sarah Palin. Elected mayor of a podunk town, elected governor of a podunk state (but even then, didn't have the wherewithal to finish her term: *cough cough* quitter!), G.O.P. Vice Presidential Candidate (who didn't know even the basic duties of the Vice Presidency or ANYTHING about U.S. foreign policy), best selling author (of a ghost written book, who has to write one syllable words on her hand because she's too goofy to remember even simple concepts). Yes, Silly Sarah Palin: Queen of the Lunatic Fringe. All hail the queen! :rolleyes:

I'll give you this: Sarah has accomplished more in the world of politics than I have (because I'm not a politician), in the very same way that Danica Patrick has accomplished more in the world of pro auto racing than I have (because I'm not a pro auto racer). But only among those fanbois who have trouble separating reality from fantasy are either of these two twits anything special. DanicaFan is taken, but maybe a mod will let you become PalinFan. PM one and find out. But in any other area, I would have no problems comparing my accomplishments to either of these two media creations.

I've seen threads get pulled off topic before. But to derail a thread about a computer so that you can talk about someone who can't spell "computer" is really ripe.

anthonyvop
5th June 2010, 20:45
Sarah Palin. Elected mayor of a...........Blah, Blah Blah....Insert Typical Liberal Talking points...........Blah, Blah, Blah............. But in any other area, I would have no problems comparing my accomplishments to either of these two media creations.

"Yawn"

Jag_Warrior
5th June 2010, 20:53
South Florida Motorsports Report on the air:

http://localcrank.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tinfoil-hat1.jpg

Daniel
5th June 2010, 21:07

anthonyvop
6th June 2010, 05:12

I don't get it. Is it some kind of Ironic, liberal, self-deprecation? Or a total lack of understanding of the concept of Logic?

anthonyvop
6th June 2010, 05:17
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID21021/images/its-not-fascism-when-we-do-it.jpg

Jag_Warrior
6th June 2010, 05:18
I don't get it.

I suspect those were the first words you learned to utter as a child, and they'll be the last words that pass your lips as you take your final breath.

No, you don't get it. And you probably never will. But these days you have plenty of company, so I'm sure you'll be OK. :dozey:

anthonyvop
6th June 2010, 05:34
I suspect those were the first words you learned to utter as a child, and they'll be the last words that pass your lips as you take your final breath.

No, you don't get it. And you probably never will. But these days you have plenty of company, so I'm sure you'll be OK. :dozey:

So typical. When confronted with facts the liberal resorts to personal insults.

Jag_Warrior
6th June 2010, 06:28
So typical. When confronted with facts the liberal resorts to personal insults.

It's a thread about the Apple iPad, Mr. Off Topic!!! And the only worthwhile fact that you've presented thus far is that you "don't get it". And as I said, I fully agree with you there.

Get back on topic or start a thread, where you can freely discuss your love of Sarah Palin. But unless your next post is iPad related, I will not waste anymore time playing with you here... though I do so enjoy pinning your ears back. Truly I do. But enough is enough.

Mark
6th June 2010, 10:27
This forum is already chock full of pointless nonsense about American politics. This thread is about the iPad if you want to talk about politics start a thread. Any posts on here from now not related to iPad's will be deleted and you'll get a ban for your trouble.

Daniel
6th June 2010, 10:27
This forum is already chock full of pointless nonsense about American politics. This thread is about the iPad if you want to talk about politics start a thread. Any posts on here from now not related to iPad's will be deleted and you'll get a ban for your trouble.
Mark on the forum on a non-weekday? :p

MrJan
6th June 2010, 11:11
Mark on the forum on a non-weekday? :p

That's non-iPad related Daniel, looks like another ban for you :p : :D

I still want to know if those Apad things are any good. I don't need one but £85 for one is quite tempting....

Captain VXR
6th June 2010, 16:11
"Yawn"

Didn't Palin say Africa was a country?

Mark
13th June 2010, 14:29
I had a go of an iPad in Zurich and I have to say it was impressive. Very smooth and good at viewing web pages. But then still very impractical. I could see it being used as a video device for e.g. Youtube, which it can't do. Or iPlayer which it can't do.

dunes
13th June 2010, 20:17
I'm sorry; I'm old and maybe out of date but to me it seems that liuke most of americans are into buying something just because its new not because its more suited for thier needs.I just don';tr get nor understand the hype of this thing.
If someone could explain in common laymens terms I might get with the timew but for now I'm just happy where I am and not ready to spend 500 bucks to keep up with the Jone's.

Jag_Warrior
13th June 2010, 20:39
I'm sorry; I'm old and maybe out of date but to me it seems that liuke most of americans are into buying something just because its new not because its more suited for thier needs.I just don';tr get nor understand the hype of this thing.
If someone could explain in common laymens terms I might get with the timew but for now I'm just happy where I am and not ready to spend 500 bucks to keep up with the Jone's.

I think you nailed it with the underlined portion. I'd say if most of us (Americans and others living in developed nations) look around our homes, we'll see that the majority of what we have is based on "want", "have to have it now!" and making ourselves more comfortable... not necessarily things we actually need. I'm not criticizing anyone, as I'm really bad about that myself. For what I've spent on diecast models over the years alone, I could have bought a new (real) car.

The iPad is no different. Many (most?) of the people buying them, as well as smartphones and other gizmos and gadgets, get them for the fun factor, not so much out of true need. But as more dedicated apps are written for the iPad (I believe there are already five or ten thousand), I'm sure there will be more people and companies finding actual business uses for them. I'm a (happy as hell) Apple shareholder. And while I have no plans to buy an iPad or iPhone for myself, I'm quite pleased that it's come out of the gate as a winner.

dunes
13th June 2010, 21:19
I'm not criticizing anyone, as I'm really bad about that myself. For what I've spent on diecast models over the years alone, I could have bought a new (real) car.

But those are really cool. You should repost them for all our newer patrons.

Andrewmcm
13th June 2010, 22:03
I had a go of an iPad in Zurich and I have to say it was impressive. Very smooth and good at viewing web pages. But then still very impractical. I could see it being used as a video device for e.g. Youtube, which it can't do. Or iPlayer which it can't do.

There is BBC iPlayer iPad-optimised site - I watched some of the Turkish GP race on the iplayer when I had a fiddle with an iPad in an Apple Store. Impressive it was too.

And there is a dedicated youtube app, as with the iPhone.

Jag_Warrior
14th June 2010, 02:52
But those are really cool. You should repost them for all our newer patrons.

Thanks. That's a good idea. Once I get the diecast room finished, I'll get a digital camera, take some shots and post them here. When I built this house I decided not to clutter every room with them, like I did at my other house. At a certain point, visitors begin to wonder about you - plus, they're not toys and that made most of my other house very "kid unfriendly". So they'll have their own room by the end of summer, I hope. I have several hundred now, but most should fit on the shelving system I'm trying to come up with.

Ya know, I've been here for 10 years now and I don't know if we have a photo album as part of the forum where we can place photos. :confused:

When I get the pictures, I'm going to email them to Daniel and he'll post them here from that iPad that I know he's anxious to get. :D

Mark
14th June 2010, 09:12
There is BBC iPlayer iPad-optimised site - I watched some of the Turkish GP race on the iplayer when I had a fiddle with an iPad in an Apple Store. Impressive it was too.

And there is a dedicated youtube app, as with the iPhone.

To clarify, it can't download iPlayer content and save it for later playback. Something which Nokia smartphones have been able to do for some years now.

Andrewmcm
14th June 2010, 22:32
Ah yes, I didn't take that from the initial posting.

I must say I'm glad I haven't bought an iPad yet. The iPhone 4 seems a much better purchase, and the features that it now incorporates points to what will be on future versions of the iPad.

Daniel
14th June 2010, 22:34
That's what annoys me about Apple. They could easily integrate these features now. But they won't, they'll do it in 9 months and make out that it's groundbreaking.

Andrewmcm
14th June 2010, 22:43
I'm sure there are some development cycle limitations on these things - not to mention technological restraints (particularly battery life for mobile devices)

They do make a nice earner out of staggered implementation of features though, as they've been clever enough to make their products sufficiently desirable for people to want new versions immediately.

Daniel
14th June 2010, 22:51
Meh, there was no reason the original iPhone couldn't have had 3g.

Basically they just make their products missing some key features that can easily be added later on to sucker people into buying another one again. I'm coming up to renew my contract and need to find something to replace my e71 with and nothing is omfgwtfbbq better. Nokia made a good phone which is fully featured.

airshifter
15th June 2010, 01:29
I think you nailed it with the underlined portion. I'd say if most of us (Americans and others living in developed nations) look around our homes, we'll see that the majority of what we have is based on "want", "have to have it now!" and making ourselves more comfortable... not necessarily things we actually need. I'm not criticizing anyone, as I'm really bad about that myself. For what I've spent on diecast models over the years alone, I could have bought a new (real) car.

The iPad is no different. Many (most?) of the people buying them, as well as smartphones and other gizmos and gadgets, get them for the fun factor, not so much out of true need. But as more dedicated apps are written for the iPad (I believe there are already five or ten thousand), I'm sure there will be more people and companies finding actual business uses for them. I'm a (happy as hell) Apple shareholder. And while I have no plans to buy an iPad or iPhone for myself, I'm quite pleased that it's come out of the gate as a winner.

And this touches on the real heart of the matter. In 2010 people can do whatever they want with their money (or credit). And many if not most of those people really don't much care what anyone else has to say about it.

In the end, half the haters are upset that they can't prove their device of choice (or game console, or car, etc) isn't better than what the next consumer wants. Because better is defined by each consumer, and they buy what they want, regardless of what technogeeky.com reported on it. So roll on haters, because really you have no say in what I do with my money.

And so far, in a couple months time, a could million people have decided to spend their money on an iPad.

Mark
15th June 2010, 08:19
I do like the iPhone and I intend on getting one. But there's one thing that did annoy me watching snippets of the keynote on the iPhone launch.

With the video calling. Which is iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 and WiFi only (i.e. crap) and they were like OMFG it's like star trek, it's amazing, have you ever seen anything like this before?! Erm, yes, on the vast majority of phones for years and years now.

Daniel
15th June 2010, 08:24
Exactly. The iPhone seems like a bunch of teenagers having a **** for the first time. Wooooooo this is great yay woooo etc etc when everyone else has been doing it for years

MrJan
15th June 2010, 08:24
I'd actually really like an iPhone but as I don't use my phone enough to warrant a contract it's just far too much money to be spending.

The iPad is tempting my idiotic gadget brain (the one that buys all kinds of crap that I don't need) but as I already have a netbook it would just be pointless. I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to flashy stuff like Apple produce, the only thing is that I'm also a bit stingy with cash so I end up not getting anything.

GridGirl
15th June 2010, 13:21
I do like the iPhone and I intend on getting one. But there's one thing that did annoy me watching snippets of the keynote on the iPhone launch.

With the video calling. Which is iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 and WiFi only (i.e. crap) and they were like OMFG it's like star trek, it's amazing, have you ever seen anything like this before?! Erm, yes, on the vast majority of phones for years and years now.

Have you actually used video calling? I've had it on previous phones and never used it. When I eventually do get a iphone 4 I'm pretty sure I wont use it then either. :s

Mark
16th June 2010, 08:16
Have you actually used video calling? I've had it on previous phones and never used it. When I eventually do get a iphone 4 I'm pretty sure I wont use it then either. :s

Apart from a couple of test calls to see if it works, no.

The only people I call on a regular basis are Karen and my Mum. Now my Mums mobile doesn't even have a camera, never mind video calling.

Karen's does but you can bet 99% of the time either one or both of us is not in a 3G signal area, I mean most of the time I'm stuggling for any signal, not just a 3G one.

The one time we did make it work Karen said she couldn't hear me properly and we switched back to voice after about 20 seconds.

So I couldn't care less about video calling!

Daniel
16th June 2010, 12:33
That to me epitomises Apple. They're late to the party with a feature others had YEARS ago which 99% of people never use and they make it sound like a big thing.

I'm coming to the end of the contract on my e71 and i'm struggling to think of something to repLace it with other than an e72. This phone is excellent for sending text messages because it's a qwerty phone. Tis also good for the forum and facebook.

I quite fancy a Win Mo 7 phone which would work with the text reading service in the Fiat a bit better (the fiat runs windows mobile) but I think a touchscreen is fairly important for win mo 7 and I'm not entirely sold on touchscreens.

Mark
16th June 2010, 12:49
I'm coming to the end of the contract on my e71 and i'm struggling to think of something to repLace it with other than an e72. This phone is excellent for sending text messages because it's a qwerty phone. Tis also good for the forum and facebook.

I quite fancy a Win Mo 7 phone which would work with the text reading service in the Fiat a bit better (the fiat runs windows mobile) but I think a touchscreen is fairly important for win mo 7 and I'm not entirely sold on touchscreens.

I've heard quite a few good things about the latest HTC phones running Android. Alternatively as you've hinted, wait for the Win7 phones to come out, as they'll likely be doing one with a keyboard there too; but you're talking end of the year for that.

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2010, 18:51
I'm assuming this iPad app will work on the iPod Touch as well. It would be so cool to be able to watch a live race and have access to this app... fed out to a big monitor! :bounce: I wonder if you can you do that with an iPod Touch (or an iPad)? Can you do video out, maybe using a wireless adaptor? Maybe I should read the specs or call BestBuy. :confused:

TkGlrvQL8_A

Mark
19th June 2010, 20:14
I think that app does work with the iPhone too, so probably with the iPod.

Mark
21st June 2010, 10:27
What it's like to own an Apple product:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2010, 04:20

This is very interesting, because I just read this article in The Australian which reports the tablets are selling like hot cakes and will rival netbooks in a couple of years.

I am unconvinced about the value of the Ipad as you can buy IPEDS from China for less than $200 via the internet http://iped-tablet.com/?gclid=CKXajN7YsqICFcIvpAodZCQ49w, and of course for a lot less in Hong Kong.

I am also unconvinced about the IPAD; I play Sudoku and decided to check out the IPAD as this would be ideal for Sudoku. However, if you go to an Apple computer and access the website sudokulearningcentre.com, select play and go to a difficult level, you will find that the puzzle conains the candidates for each square. Do the same with the IPAD and teh candidates are missing. You cannot play sudoku at the difficult level if the candidates are missing. But this leaves me thinking that the operating system of the IPAD is pretty lousy, or at best lacking.

And it seems some other computer manufacturers are rushing to produce their own tablets; I think we can expect a rapid price dive on these things coupled with rapid improvements on specs. A much more powerful ACER netbook is selling at the POST OFFICE here for around $450, it has 1 g of memory and looks great.

Jag_Warrior
22nd June 2010, 06:54
I am unconvinced about the value of the Ipad as you can buy IPEDS from China for less than $200 via the internet http://iped-tablet.com/?gclid=CKXajN7YsqICFcIvpAodZCQ49w, and of course for a lot less in Hong Kong.

Yeah, but good luck finding apps that'll run on that piece of junk... assuming it would even power up. I bet they'd throw in a $15 Rolex with it too. :D

Kind of off topic, but if we weren't so freakin' whipped in this country (and in desperate need of suckers to buy our bonds), we'd have put a stop to all these cheap Chinese knock-offs that pollute the world by now and tariffed the hell out of them! I'm still trying to get a straight answer on whether or not my house has some of that poisonous Chinese drywall in it. Meh! Let me stop before I go off on a free/unfair trade rant.

Mark
22nd June 2010, 08:55
I am also unconvinced about the IPAD; I play Sudoku and decided to check out the IPAD as this would be ideal for Sudoku. However, if you go to an Apple computer and access the website sudokulearningcentre.com, select play and go to a difficult level, you will find that the puzzle conains the candidates for each square. Do the same with the IPAD and teh candidates are missing. You cannot play sudoku at the difficult level if the candidates are missing. But this leaves me thinking that the operating system of the IPAD is pretty lousy, or at best lacking.

Without checking, I'd guess that's down to the lack of flash support.

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2010, 09:58
Without checking, I'd guess that's down to the lack of flash support.

Why not take two minutes and check it out? I know nothing about flash support, but if the candidates are missing, then you simply cannot solve puzzles with Block and Block interaction, let alone the more difficult puzzles with X-Y wings and so on. If I wanted to have one of these IPADS, then I'd like to know that I am not paying for an inferior operating system, not to mention something that can't even be used to make a phone call.

Mark
22nd June 2010, 11:37
Why not take two minutes and check it out?

Since I don't have an iPad nor wish to have an iPad, that would be difficult.

I know nothing about flash support, but if the candidates are missing, then you simply cannot solve puzzles with Block and Block interaction, let alone the more difficult puzzles with X-Y wings and so on. If I wanted to have one of these IPADS, then I'd like to know that I am not paying for an inferior operating system, not to mention something that can't even be used to make a phone call.

The lack of flash support on iPad is very well known. You'd struggle to find anyone who didn't know that, except perhaps my Mum...

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2010, 13:59
Since I don't have an iPad nor wish to have an iPad, that would be difficult.

The lack of flash support on iPad is very well known. You'd struggle to find anyone who didn't know that, except perhaps my Mum...

...........or me. :(
I don't even know what a flash support is.
Just don't tell Daniel what I just said, OK?

Daniel
22nd June 2010, 14:22
It's alright VB, I've taken a leaf out of you book and I just don't listen to people anymore.

Jag_Warrior
22nd June 2010, 18:23
I play Sudoku and decided to check out the IPAD as this would be ideal for Sudoku. However, if you go to an Apple computer and access the website sudokulearningcentre.com, select play and go to a difficult level, you will find that the puzzle conains the candidates for each square. Do the same with the IPAD and teh candidates are missing. You cannot play sudoku at the difficult level if the candidates are missing. But this leaves me thinking that the operating system of the IPAD is pretty lousy, or at best lacking.

Maybe it's the app you were using? I really don't know. I don't even know what Sudoku is. But I did find this on YouTube. Knowing that the iPad will play some pretty sophisticated games, I doubt it would have trouble with Sudoku... unless it's more complicated than I realize.

Does this help?
hx-8mz3S1qg

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2010, 06:44
Not Really helpful at all. Sudoku is a puzzle that is solved through logic and not by guessing.
Now, if you click on the following link: http://www.sudokulearningcenter.com/
and then select a difficult grading under the play option, a Sodoku puzzle shows up on your screen. The little numbers on the empty squares are called "candidates", and you need these little numbers to solve the puzzle using logic.
Now, if you are using an apple computer, the candidates will appear in the puzzle, same for XP; but if you are using and Ipad, the little candidates do not appear and so you cannot pay Sudoku using an Ipad except by guessing, which is impossible for difficult games.
We tried this on my son-in-law's Ipad and when the candidates didn't show, he explained it as something to do with the operating system, and he is a Consultant in the IT industry. So this leads me to think that the operating system of the Ipad is somewhat lacking.

Mark
23rd June 2010, 08:16
Not Really helpful at all. Sudoku is a puzzle that is solved through logic and not by guessing.
Now, if you click on the following link: http://www.sudokulearningcenter.com/
and then select a difficult grading under the play option, a Sodoku puzzle shows up on your screen. The little numbers on the empty squares are called "candidates", and you need these little numbers to solve the puzzle using logic.
Now, if you are using an apple computer, the candidates will appear in the puzzle, same for XP; but if you are using and Ipad, the little candidates do not appear and so you cannot pay Sudoku using an Ipad except by guessing, which is impossible for difficult games.
We tried this on my son-in-law's Ipad and when the candidates didn't show, he explained it as something to do with the operating system, and he is a Consultant in the IT industry. So this leads me to think that the operating system of the Ipad is somewhat lacking.

Lacking? Yes and no? It is what it is after all, i.e. basically an enlarged iPhone. e.g. The iPhone 4 has almost the same specification and OS as the iPad, just a smaller screen. You can't expect it to do everything that a desktop PC can do. In terms of your issue, it's almost certainly down to flash.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2010, 09:54
Lacking? Yes and no? It is what it is after all, i.e. basically an enlarged iPhone. e.g. The iPhone 4 has almost the same specification and OS as the iPad, just a smaller screen. You can't expect it to do everything that a desktop PC can do. In terms of your issue, it's almost certainly down to flash.

An enlarged iphone that you cannot use as a phone? Common!!
The point I am making here is that I can buy a small laptop for under $500 at the Post Office. So where is the value?

Mark, as I said before, I have no idea what a flash is.

Mark
23rd June 2010, 10:51
An enlarged iphone that you cannot use as a phone? Common!!
The point I am making here is that I can buy a small laptop for under $500 at the Post Office. So where is the value?

As pointed out in the majority of this thread :p

Mark, as I said before, I have no idea what a flash is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash