Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 1,092 Times in 609 Posts
    Fernando Alonso. No other discussion is needed.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    This must be the most harmonious thread ever on here

Shows how good Alonso is. When some relatively knowledgeable and true F1 fans say it, he must be some driver.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1,092 Times in 609 Posts
    You calling me knowledgeable?
    I think my FGP team proves this is not the case!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    This must be the most harmonious thread ever on here
    I concur with the harmony. Really there is no strong argument why I should not think Alonso is the most complete right now.

Though I really want to find out, how complete Ricciardo is, because there is no noticable evidence of any weaknesses in his craft either.

But perhaps there is a saying as there was with Vettel - "only with time we'll find out". Alonso has been on top level for a decade, Ricciardo has just barely started out being there.

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    One thing I've noticed about Danny Boy, is that he seems to set his passes up as well as anyone, and better than most. This is a huge attribute for an F1 pilot.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    One thing I've noticed about Danny Boy, is that he seems to set his passes up as well as anyone, and better than most. This is a huge attribute for an F1 pilot.
    Yes, I can't believe how he has come on since HRT days, It shows you can't judge drivers in back marker cars
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Interestingly I remember a quote from him from Australia 2012 when he talked of setting a move up on his team-mate in turns 13-14! I was very impressed; he finished 9th I think?

As for my complete drivers (as in not necessarily the best, just the most rounded without many weaknesses)

Surprise! It's Alonso.
    Kimi isn't bad actually, just not so fast these days/when car isn't suited.
    Vettel's one of the better ones, Ricciardo even better at the mo.
    Hulkenberg is pretty complete, however his ultimate pace ?? But don't forget he is penalised by weight compared to Perez etc.

I don't count Button even though he may seem the type. His setup seeems quite poor. Actually in hindsight, BAR/Honda often seemed lost for direction in this area through the mid '00s when he led them. This is not an attack ok? Just an observation.

Wouldn't count the Mercedes' drivers yet, since Hamilton is still learning to keep his head. However I don't really buy that Rosberg is cooler and makes less mistakes. I think Nico has made more mistakes this year, it's just that perversly he tends to benefit from his most high profile ones. As for other mistakes, sometimes it seems like Hamilton's are magnified through a magnifying glass, for all his career. I mean one tiny slip in a near-perfect 2007, one horrificly worn tyres and he's out - retired - championship over just like that. Other drivers seem to make bigger slips and more often, but without much consequence, as if the magnifying glass is turned the other way.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 9th September 2014 at 20:07.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

8. Likes: The Black Knight (10th September 2014)
    In some ways Bottas looks pretty complete. Quite fast, both in qualifying and the race. Consistent, very few mistakes, etc.

But yeah we can discuss endlessy what "completeness" means. In some ways it reminds someone like Heidfeld, who looks at least decent in every thinkable area, but hasn't got standout speed. Does this mean a driver is complete, if he looks like a pretty decent package, just not very fast?

In contrast someone like Hamilton isn't often considered to be "complete", but looking at his racing and results he is usually getting the job done... and often spectacularly well too.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Yes, I can't believe how he has come on since HRT days, It shows you can't judge drivers in back marker cars
    Ricciardo was actually pretty good at HRT, just it was impossible to stand out more in that excuse of a car than he did. After all, he was beating Liuzzi there and even racing against some better cars (Caterham, Virgin).

It was always pretty hard to judge Ricciardo in Toro Rosso, but what we could see was that he was often pretty competent and consistent. Didn't make many mistakes, often fought for about 9th and 10th positions, especially in 2013 qualified very well (often in Q3). Seemed ahead of Vergne more often than not. The only question was how good/bad was the car, but that was impossible to tell.

This makes me come to Kvyat... I really want to know, how good this kid is. Because for someone at the age of 19/20 he is pretty "complete" so to speak. Not many brainfades/mistakes at all, usually fast and consistently competitive. And already beating Vergne, which is what Ricciardo was doing as well. And based on the Ricciardo experience we have now more belief/trust that the Toro Rosso driver roster is pretty good and better than many thought. Is Kvyat the hidden Formula One great?

Rjbetty. Interesting you talk about Räikkönen and Button. Both known for being pretty consistent and error-free, bringing points home. Main issue - some adaptability problems and particularly struggling with heating up tyres in qualifying.

The one wonder for me is Hülkenberg. People talk about the fall of Vettel and Räikkönen, who were front-runners in the last few years, but Hulk for me is also a small casualty. Sort of "complete" with pretty good speed, consistency, point-scoring, racecraft. But has been outraced by Perez a bit too often this year and has really lost the spark recently. I remember I have been hyping Hülkenberg a fair amount here on this forum. You could make a strong argument he was a top5 driver on the grid in 2012-13.

Hulk has talent and he should come back stronger. But with drivers like Ricciardo, Bottas, Kvyat coming up very strongly, it could be that the doors of top teams will remain closed for Hulk and he remains a perennial midfielder...