Hybrid View

Liked 406 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I think this came from formula 1 and it is used on all world championships under FIA.
    Oh I didn't realize that change, can't have happend very long ago?

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Oh I didn't realize that change, can't have happend very long ago?
    I found a post on Autosport forum that cites 2002 International Sporting Code: "All drivers, irrespective of the nationality of their licence,
    participating in any FIA World Championship event, shall retain
    the nationality of their passport on all official documents and in all
    meetings and information bulletins."

So it's at least since 2002, but probably much, much sooner. The reason may be decision of some association that FIA is a member of, but it's really hard to find some sources about that.

Liked 3,802 Times in 1,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I found a post on Autosport forum that cites 2002 International Sporting Code: "All drivers, irrespective of the nationality of their licence,

So it's at least since 2002, but probably much, much sooner. The reason may be decision of some association that FIA is a member of, but it's really hard to find some sources about that.
    If I correctly remember, it was because some formula 1 driver had some issues with his own ASN and was forced to use different licence from different country. As they didnt want to have french driver with singapore flag (it is only example, I dont know real countries), they have changed the regulation.

Liked 1,254 Times in 682 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    If I correctly remember, it was because some formula 1 driver had some issues with his own ASN and was forced to use different licence from different country. As they didnt want to have french driver with singapore flag (it is only example, I dont know real countries), they have changed the regulation.
    From memory, and it's from the mid 90s I think, there was also Eddie Irvine, from Northern Ireland, with the Irish tricolour on his overalls - as that's who issued his racing licence at the time; which caused 'issues' in Northern Ireland.
    I can also remember a few Audi Sport drivers with the Japanese flag, as they raced in Formula Nippon; they weren't Japanese.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 406 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

Oh wow, I would've never guessed.