Page 87 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,490 Times in 851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think Alpine said they could start a WRC program in the next homologation cycle if it was more EV-based, but Andrew Wheatley hinted that Rally1 regulations will not change that much.
    Speaking of the devil:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/f...map-/10340909/
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Reading Wheatley's comments about the entire pyramid makes me call bollocks on Stellantis, Alpine and Skoda being attracted to Rally1.

Is R-GTe next?

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Viable route could be manus own electric motor for rally1 and rally2 from 2025 and extended mileage on ev (maybe also a couple km ss dedicated to it)
    it's not full ev, but brands involved in ev could still pr a lot on it. i think this could be good compromise between manus and fans...

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Reading Wheatley's comments about the entire pyramid makes me call bollocks on Stellantis, Alpine and Skoda being attracted to Rally1.

Is R-GTe next?
    more or less they're all already around lower tiers...

5. Likes: WRCStan (21st July 2022)
    Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Porsche and Ferrari are 'hyperbrands' competing in 'hypercars'. They would never be a target for WRC.
    What it does show, however, is that few brands are genuinely attracted to full electric for their motorsport programmes. It is certainly dimiishing.
    Hybrid remains the way to go.

I think people can also be a bit too quick too write off the appeal of WRC. I mean, christ, 3 of the top 5 brands in the entire world are competing in it!
    Ha ha, you've misunderstood me. I've never thought they would be remotely interested in WRC, it's not their market. I used them examples to show how some series can attract manufacturers with the right regs, ROI, etc

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3,797 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    my guess is that there must be a certain reason why no one hires him, i mean everybody knows the drivers and each other so well inside the service park and teams

from what i have heard from his Hyundai days is that he couldnt come up with his own set-up, always copied Thierrys, Loeb etc

On VW days he copied Ogiers set-up, i remember Latvala even admitting it in one interview some time back and didnt even he himself mention it? dont remember anymore
    In VW days (as a fresh WRC driver) he tried to mimic Ogier in everything. Latvala did as well (less left foot braking etc, was interviewed om that) and it didn't work for him so he went back. Worked for Mikkelsen since he started winning rallies.

I very much doubt this was the case at Hyundai since he was getting own diffs etc. (commented on when Loeb was forced to drive same diff in Portugal), and it certainly isn't true in Skoda when he is the only top driver ( and got own dif. made both for snow and fast gravel last year).
    That he was struggling to set up the Hyundai is certain, Loeb and Tanak were as well for multiple years.

About being hard to work with... I have no idea, but the same has been said about every second driver in WRC at some point.

I don't think there is one specific reason for him not having a drive. Just a sum of circumstances. Note that in 2017 he got the 2 year Hyundai contract which at that time seemed to be the best contract you could get. Struggling there certainly hurt a lot. Now with Loebs and Tanaks experience it looks very different.
    On top of that Citroen unexpectedly left and then corona came, note that Latvala and Meeke also lost their drives at that moment.

Another real option came before this year. Again small things, Lappi fits better for fast rallies that Ogier doesn't do (Mikkelsen is better at "Ogiers" rallies), Breen seemed on upwards trajectory and MSport only has one paid driver seat and Hyundai goes all or nothing with Solberg no matter results.
    Last edited by mknight; 21st July 2022 at 19:38.

8. Likes: Lead (21st July 2022),Rallyper (22nd July 2022),WRC1 (21st July 2022)
    Liked 3,797 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post

Is R-GTe next?
    Keeping cars 80% same as Rally1 now means no new manus.

The only chance to get new manus is 100% electric.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (22nd July 2022)
    Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Keeping cars 80% same as Rally1 now means no new manus.

The only chance to get new manus is 100% electric.
    Agreed, or stop chasing manufacturers via the marques. Reading Wheatley's quotes, I'm again left wondering why they only want to talk to the manufacturer marques. 'A manufacturer's customer operation can support an entry' - and who might be the shining example of that?

Liked 2,139 Times in 932 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Worked for Mikkelsen since he started winning rallies.
    Lol..

Total of massive THREE wins thru all the years.. (2 of them thanks to Ogier's off and Tänak's puncture)

13. Likes: cali (22nd July 2022),EstWRC (22nd July 2022)
    Liked 491 Times in 189 Posts
    Finnish rally site is reporting that they couldn't speak with Ott and Thierry during the test in Finland although they had agreed some interviews. The order came from somewhere higher up in the team.

https://www.rallit.fi/hyundain-ralli...suut-suomessa/

15. Likes: AnttiL (22nd July 2022)