I don't like it that they are allowed off track during the race at all , but most of these transgressions had drivers giving back the positions , if position was gained , as far as I saw , so , the stewarding we have been seeing is getting the point across to the drivers , and the self-policing of these situations is pretty common .

However , when the position gained is one on the podium , and one with so much weight in the championship , and , in particular , on the last lap , one needs to take extra care in deciding who was in the right .
Because of the rush of getting drivers in place for the podium , and the last moment replacement of the third place man , it all seemed like there wasn't much thought put in about it all , so the decision got an immediate "knee-jerk" feel , and the roar of "Max was robbed" rang out .

But , this time , I think they got it right because he left the track completely , and , most importantly , on the inside of the corner .
Had he been even 6 inches to the left , he would have had rubber on the track while making that pass for third .
That would have had him keep the place , despite being only two inches still on the track surface .

When they measure the width of a track , do they add double the width of the car minus , let's say , half an inch for each side to represent how much tire might actually be on track ?