Page 60 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: R-Classes News

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth
    Now there is several front wheel drive R classes, why not make a modern rear wheel drive R class?
    We have it. R GT, but.... it's pathetic.

Liked 11,193 Times in 4,442 Posts
    Any of those 2WD R classes can accommodate RWD cars as well but the manufacturers simply don't produce such cars anymore. Even BMW slowly turns back to RWD (the new minivan is first FWD and there will be more of those). If BMW wants the 1er could be used for R3 but it seems they are not interested.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    If BMW wants the 1er could be used for R3 but it seems they are not interested.
    Is the 1 series available as a 1.6 litre turbo petrol? Then that could be an R3T car

New Subaru/Toyota RWD could become R3 cars?
    Nav

Yes, it is. BMW 1 can be used to build all three variants of R3 (C, D, T) but BMW doesn't look interested. Anyway the new generation of 1er is quite big car for R3.

Toyobaru yes but I don't think they plan to do so. Subaru plans to make R5 of the BRZ (probably).

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Yes, it is. BMW 1 can be used to build all three variants of R3 (C, D, T) but BMW doesn't look interested. Anyway the new generation of 1er is quite big car for R3.

Toyobaru yes but I don't think they plan to do so. Subaru plans to make R5 of the BRZ (probably).
    Excuse me, isn't that a "Subu-yota"?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navtheace
    What I mean is that you cannot buy AP racing calipers from AP, you have to buy the STi homologated ones which are made by AP.

Same with roof vent, only the homologated vent.

Rules need to move to along the lines of a spec and minimum weight for these additional items.

etc etc.

Same with a brake bell....must have the homologated PN in it or it's disqualification.
    Example: these Ford Sierra Cosworth bells which I make cost reatail about USD100

The Ford Group A bells I basically copied (except for the disc bolt circle--I used 8 bolts on a 7 inch circle, Ford used 10 bolts on a different bolt circle) cost at the time aorund USD 400.

The disc, which is made specific for my set up, also retails for around USD100, the AP discs with the Ford 909xxxx part number was nearly USD325 for this size.

Thus, brakes and bells alone, just one front set with tax around 250% more----for no appreciable difference.

And that's an easy part...

The Homologation requirement for every last little dumb thing is exploited brutally by the Manfacturer teams to finance their operations... I know what it costs to make things, because that's what I do, even if it is in much smaller scale---and they way CNC machining works bigger runs means far far lower costs per unit....example: I make steel flywheels for a car....the lathe work cost at 10 units is around USD80 each.. At just 25 units, the cost for machine time drops to around USD29...

This exploiting of the rule "it has to have the homolgated PN" on it is one reason why the cars cost the insane amounts they do, simple cynicism. Supported by people repeating "Racing has always been about money"..

Oh I thought it was about skill.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

You're of course right. I think we discussed that many times My conclusion was no more simplification or standardization, that has no meaning in terms of cutting costs until the current system of homologations exists - it only ruins the all time present technical competition. Sadly it won't change as manufacturers will hardly go against their own business and FIA won't make anything to make them angry...

PS Toyobaru just sounds nicer to me than Subuyota

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    Subaru plans to make R5 of the BRZ (probably).
    Impossible - the engine is mounted too far back and too low down to accommodate four wheel drive. Unless they decide a PTO and a second gearbox is a good idea The other idea of course would be to have a two wheel drive car competing against all the four wheel drive ones.

Having said that it worked for the Sierra Cosworth and BMW M3 against the Celicas and Deltas.... But then the Sierra didn't win the WRC and no one entered a Delta to rival Jimmy McRae in the BRC etc etc

Liked 1,885 Times in 738 Posts
    Subaru plans to make R5 of the BRZ (probably).
    There is a brand new WRX and STI coming that will be perfect for that. Short wheelbase like the fiesta and DS3. A new car, not based on the Impreza anymore.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway
    There is a brand new WRX and STI coming that will be perfect for that. Short wheelbase like the fiesta and DS3. A new car, not based on the Impreza anymore.
    Anymore details? It's supposed to be out for 2014 correct?
    2009 Colorado Rally Cup Champion & 2009 CHCA Rookie Of the Year