Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Baggage Check

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cossie16
    We are off to Vancouver next month flying from Sydney via Hawaii with Air Canada and I have heard that you must go though full US customs and immigration in Honolulu even though technically you are only in transit.
    Apparently if you buy duty free in Sydney after going though Australian security it will be confiscated when you rejoin the same plane (and same seat!!!) in Honolulu as you are subject to the rules as if you are joining a flight for the first time. Does this make sense?

Air Canada will be introducing non stop direct flights Sydney-Vancouver at the end of the year which will mean that you can avoid the states which i definately will be using in future.
    I would contact Air Canada and ask them about that. I think once you clear security, you are sort of in a protected zone, and I think your Duty Free goods would be left alone. Of course, if you can LEAVE the Duty Free on the plane, the US Customs and/or TSA people wouldn't be on the plane. I would talk to Air Canada.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Cossie, here is a thought. Ask Air Canada if you have to clear US Customs at Vancouver? Flights to the US out of Canada's major airports have US Customs booths so they can preclear people flying to US destinations. It is a unique thing because of the amount of people flying back and forth between the US and Canada, and the US Customs would preclear you at Vancouver, then you would be on to Duty Free, and after Honolulu, would be clearing Aussie Customs down under with your Duty free Booze untouched.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I flew from Stansted in early February on a Friday lunchtime and it took 30 mins to get through security. They have about 12 security points now but only half were open. I was searched even though the scanner did not beep when I went through and it looked like that happened to a lot of people.

My sister has flown from Gatwick a few times and says it is always bad there.