Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMetro
    To be fair though, on a national level, the WRC is not as popular as say F1, and even that, despite being very popular on the BBC is being reduced. Why? Cost. Many public sector divisions are getting less funding, and need to spend much more carefully. And what is effectively a niche sport, is not going to be on the priority list for the BBC.
    Was the problem with F1 the exorbitant fees involved? If so there is no way that WRC could command comparable figures. Maybe the BBC could get a bargain in comparison.

I think a smart move on North Ones or whoever's part would be to give the rights to a any terrestrial channel for a nominal fee. Maybe that would help raise the awareness and interest for te WRC.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilsit
    Are you all not forgetting who pay for the bbc we the tax payer. If enough people say they want something they have to proved or else they would not be providing a service the public want.
    Ignoring the many obvious flaws with this post, let's for a moment be hopelessly unrealistic and assume that in your wildest dreams 100,000 people respond to your e-petition - the threshold at which it may (or may not) be considered for debate in Parliament. That's out of a population of 70 million or so. By your logic why should the BBC be at the whim of such a tiny minority of people?

I admire your aim, but you're deluded if you think a petition is the way to go about achieving it.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Well if the bbc annouced that they were doing away with eastenders their would be a petition in seconds its worth a go it doesnt cost a thing your all being defeatist.

It is not 'the taxpayer' that pays for the BBC, but the licence fee payer. There is a difference. And in no way is it 'the fans' that need to make the first move. The likes of the BBC will only ever want to take up WRC coverage again if there is something worth covering, which, at the moment, there isn't. In short, your sentiments are well-meaning but misguided
    If it doesnt get broadcasted to a wider tv audience sponsors wont be forth coming dont forget the likes of Ford and Citreon use it as advertisement also (How many DS3 are a round now?). Why would other manufactures consider it if there is a small tv audience.

BDunnell your stuck in the past looking back at the rallies form the 1980s and 1990s (in another post about tv coverage) how are you going to get anything anywhere near those crowds without getting it on to a main tv channel theres no harm in trying.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Ignoring the many obvious flaws with this post, let's for a moment be hopelessly unrealistic and assume that in your wildest dreams 100,000 people respond to your e-petition - the threshold at which it may (or may not) be considered for debate in Parliament. That's out of a population of 70 million or so. By your logic why should the BBC be at the whim of such a tiny minority of people?

I admire your aim, but you're deluded if you think a petition is the way to go about achieving it.
    so what are these flaws you talk about? Also what way would you go about it since im deluded? As i have said before their are to many people who just moan and will not try anything.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    If it doesnt get broadcasted to a wider tv audience sponsors wont be forth coming dont forget the likes of Ford and Citreon use it as advertisement also (How many DS3 are a round now?). Why would other manufactures consider it if there is a small tv audience.
    It is a vicious circle, you're right, but not one that will be broken by a petition to the BBC.

BDunnell your stuck in the past looking back at the rallies form the 1980s and 1990s (in another post about tv coverage) how are you going to get anything anywhere near those crowds without getting it on to a main tv channel theres no harm in trying.
    A past in which people wanted to watch rallying. Maybe if the powers-that-be had also got stuck there, the sport wouldn't be in this mess, and lacking decent British TV coverage. All these issues go much deeper than a lack of enthusiasts sending e-mails to the Director-General of the BBC.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    A past in which people wanted to watch rallying. Maybe if the powers-that-be had also got stuck there, the sport wouldn't be in this mess, and lacking decent British TV coverage. All these issues go much deeper than a lack of enthusiasts sending e-mails to the Director-General of the BBC.
    So in your opinion what are these issues?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    So in your opinion what are these issues?
    The issues of low manufacturer interest, lack of TV coverage, weak national championships, etc, etc, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems to me that the core issue is getting a larger fan base for the WRC and I don't think additional TV coverage will necessarily guarantee that. There has to be investment on all sides for the WRC to grow and the only thing I can do as a fan is to bring as many people to the sport as possible. I have gotten at least a dozen friends involved in watching WRC over the past 2 years, which may not seem like a lot, but if they each brought 12 people to the WRC, etc., that is how grass-movements grow. it would be hard for me to imagine that any fan of motorsports wouldn't enjoy rallying if they were exposed to it by a person who could explain the rules, scoring, tactics, driving techniques, etc. As a passionate WRC fan, I would love more/better footage but that is mostly because I am WRC crazy. I think the footage that is available is acceptable for bringing new people to the sport, it just needs to be made more widely available. I would like to see all broadcasts aired, in full, on WRC.com as soon as they are available. I have other means to get them myself but it needs to be made simple for the average viewer.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Occupy WRC!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    What is happening to TV and internet coverage - what are this years promises?