Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    We can't have just anyone turning up to the races in the hope they'll somehow make qualifying as they did back in the 80s'. Imagine how unprofessional the sport would appear if there were 20 teams trying to race of which 5-6 didn't even last a full season or qualify within 107% at all.
    The sport wouldn't appear unprofessional. The ailing teams would. The sport appears unprofessional in other areas already so opening the floodgates for new teams won't do any harm.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I am with those who would like to see more teams allowed to enter.

The way I would see it. If we had 16 teams entering, with 26 making the race, taking this season, if the new teams are not fast enough they get the chop before the race and if they are fast enough then the 26 are more competative as any cars i.e HRT's hopefully are not racing at 6 or 7 seconds off the pace.

More battling to get into the races means more development and the 26 cars in the race improve.

Rather than HRT seeing they are 7 seconds off the pace and thinking "Well we needn't improve as we race each week".

These teams I feel would force the level of new teams up.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    And make sure that noone in the midfield could ever score a point, good idea!
    Like everything else in life, if they want a point, earn it, no matter what lies before you.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    More battling to get into the races means more development and the 26 cars in the race improve.

These teams I feel would force the level of new teams up.
    Good point. I never thought about it like that. Jordan had a shocker of a season in 1992 had failed to qualify a car on a few occasions. This embarrassment did spur on the team members to push for greater performance and eventually led to a comparatively decent 1993 season. The strive to get out of qualifying and into the race was, perhaps, more influential than the strive to get points when you're trundling around in the last few grid slots. I don't know - just a hunch.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    They should let teams enter 3 cars each. That way you can fill the grid with top cars and have a lot more potential race winners and fights for podium finishes. Image 3 Ferrari's, 3 Macca's and 3 Red Bulls fighting for a race win!
    I can't imagine anything more dull. At Monza, partly thanks to Liuzzi's brainfart at the first corner, there were several teams from the lower midfield in with a genuine shot at some points - even Lotus looked like they were going to pick up a P10 at one stage. With the reliability as it is, your plan would see the top 9 dominated by the top 3 teams with just one points scoring opportunity for the likes of Renault, Force India or Sauber.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I can't imagine anything more dull. At Monza, partly thanks to Liuzzi's brainfart at the first corner, there were several teams from the lower midfield in with a genuine shot at some points - even Lotus looked like they were going to pick up a P10 at one stage. With the reliability as it is, your plan would see the top 9 dominated by the top 3 teams with just one points scoring opportunity for the likes of Renault, Force India or Sauber.
    Its attractive to me
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.