Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Africa

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Interesting idea! Could they have the start in there too? Even if putting a pit lane in there wouldn't likely be possible.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D
    Interesting to note that when News24.co.za mentioned it this morning there were probably 90% of the comments saying they didn't want the race.
    What reasons were they giving? Disruption / cost?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we talking about something like this? It's CART @ Mexico City in 2003.

I for one would never buy a ticket to the stadium section of this proposed Cape Town track. What's the fun in watching F1 cars crawling at 100kph in a bunch of slow-ass corners?
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    I like it!

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intheway
    What reasons were they giving? Disruption / cost?
    Most negatives are about costs. Unless the government gets involved, private parties will battle to raise the funds. Now we are not a poor country, but our government won't fork out the money. They are able to steal and mismanage billions every year though

And the talk about not supporting a GP if we don't have an F1 driver to represent us is pathetic and childish. There is also talk that the race would not be supported by fans if there is not an RSA driver racing. What a load of bollocks!!! Even my mates who don't watch F1 have said they would go to a race here.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    I agree, but it's MSA turning it into a race thing, just like everything else in this country.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Just been for a "lap" of the track with google earth and I can't see how they'll make it work. Bay Road is barely 2 cars wide as it is and runs right past flats that people live in. I remember how much people who lived in the flats complained about the A1GP race here in Durban. There were some other roads that really were just mickey mouse corners. Personally I think it would be a horrible track, too narrow in places and I don't see how they'd get sufficient run-off areas in the fast sections.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    ...And the talk about not supporting a GP if we don't have an F1 driver to represent us is pathetic and childish. There is also talk that the race would not be supported by fans if there is not an RSA driver racing. What a load of bollocks!!! Even my mates who don't watch F1 have said they would go to a race here.
    Quite right.
    The government has funded the Canadian GP for years now without a local driver, and it’s a huge success.

Although... as much as I’d like to see an event in the RSA, I really don’t want another street circuit .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Quite right.
    The government has funded the Canadian GP for years now without a local driver, and it’s a huge success.

Although... as much as I’d like to see an event in the RSA, I really don’t want another street circuit .
    I would also prefer to see a normal circuit rather than another street circuit
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

That original circuit they proposed in Cape Town, designed by Tilke, was awesome when I played it on GP3, really quick and got your attention.