Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Now do you want to explain to me why I see NASCAR guys at the Daytona 24 hour race, . . .
    Off season.

or weekly dirt tracks,
    Something they have experience with and you don't have to spend the weekend there.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Now do you want to explain to me why I see NASCAR guys at the Daytona 24 hour race,
    The 24 Hours of Daytona is a Grand-Am event
    Grand-Am is owned and managed by NASCAR.

The NASCAR drivers who participate in the 24 hours of Daytona do so because of sponsor(NASCAR) commitments.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So here's what I'm wondering...

It's the last race of the year. Assume they get some attention and momentum, well, what's the week after? A NASCAR race with those NASCAR guys who may have run, but nothing for the people who tune in, say "this is pretty cool, I'd like to see more INDYCAR." By the time INDYCAR comes back (with the end and beginning of NASCAR season in the middle of their off-season), any new viewers for the Vegas race will have forgotten what they saw in the sport.

And that's with a lot of assumptions. As a racing fan, I think this is very cool, but thinking big picture growing the sport, I really just see this as free press and not much else. Still, rather see Bernard try and miss the mark than do nothing like George liked to do.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree that 5m is a boatload of cake, but will a driver be able to get a top, competetive ride? Will a Hornish/Montoya/Robby Gordon/Tony Stewart get in a "B" ride?

http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2011/02/...d-in-veas.html

Quotes from Bernard.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Off season.
    If one of the "top" drivers doesn't make the chase, then this would basically be their off season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Something they have experience with and you don't have to spend the weekend there.
    $5 million makes up for a lot of lost sleep, and plane rides.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    The 24 Hours of Daytona is a Grand-Am event
    Grand-Am is owned and managed by NASCAR.
    You honestly think NASCAR is somehow forcing these guys to run the 24 hour event?

The NASCAR drivers who participate in the 24 hours of Daytona do so because of sponsor(NASCAR) commitments.
    Yeah the amount of exposure that a sponsor would get from the Daytona 24 would be sooooo much more than from this event.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You honestly think NASCAR is somehow forcing these guys to run the 24 hour event?
    I don't think they do....I KNOW they do.
    NASCAR and their sponsorship deals pretty much do that. It is called a contract. Driver's sign it and they have to abide by it. The Gainsco deal is a perfect example. Gainsco's deal to stay in the Grand-Am includes getting Jimmie Johnson to run the 24 hours. J.J. doesn't mind because he makes some nice change.

Yeah the amount of exposure that a sponsor would get from the Daytona 24 would be sooooo much more than from this event.
    Gainsco and Target got a lot more exposure because of their NASCAR drivers in the 24.

Just Google Gainsco and NASCAR and see for yourself.

OH And haven't you noticed how NASCAR drivers seem to drive in the Grand-Am yet never seem to show up at a ALMS, Rally, World Challenge, ICS or any other of a myriad of non-oval races?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think they do....I KNOW they do.
    NASCAR and their sponsorship deals pretty much do that. It is called a contract. Driver's sign it and they have to abide by it. The Gainsco deal is a perfect example. Gainsco's deal to stay in the Grand-Am includes getting Jimmie Johnson to run the 24 hours.
    So Gainsco being in Grand-Am has everything to do with Jimmie Johnson/Lowe's, and nothing to do with Bob Stallings? interesting. And the way I've heard it is that the driver wants to race in the event, so they ask their sponsor if they want to help out. Plus, I didn't see Bass Pro Shops on Jamie McMurry's car. I didn't see Best Buy on 'Dinger's car. Or, for that matter, a Lowe's sticker on the 99. So it's not all driven by the sponsors.

J.J. doesn't mind because he makes some nice change.
    I seem to remember something about $5million being tossed around in this thread. Does Jimmy get more than that for running the 24 hours?

Gainsco and Target got a lot more exposure because of their NASCAR drivers in the 24.
    Just as any sponsor would get a lot more exposure for having a car at the Indy race in Vegas, running for a chance at $5million. Thanks for proving my point.

OH And haven't you noticed how NASCAR drivers seem to drive in the Grand-Am yet never seem to show up at a ALMS, Rally, World Challenge, ICS or any other of a myriad of non-oval races?
    I've seen NASCAR guys racing lots of stuff; late models, sprints, midgets, off road, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I gotta go with Anthony on this one - NASCAR drivers tend to do other series that somehow benefit NASCAR.... NASCAR owns Grand-Am - if GrandAm is ever going to succeed they NEED the Cup drivers to participate to bring any attention to the event at all.... I am not sure what the deal with Gainsco is , but my guess is that they have enough$$ to really help out Grand AM but not enough $$ to help out cup - so somehow NASCAR is throwing them a bone for their loyalty... As for the drivers, who wouldn't want to drive in the 24 hors of Daytona? The cars are pretty easy, the speed are slow enough to be pretty safe, it is kind of cool event, it gives the driver more street cred than just driving cup cars in a circle AND is keep the big boss happy.... I would imagine most do it for free for all of the above reasons.....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So Gainsco being in Grand-Am has everything to do with Jimmie Johnson/Lowe's, and nothing to do with Bob Stallings? interesting. And the way I've heard it is that the driver wants to race in the event, so they ask their sponsor if they want to help out. Plus, I didn't see Bass Pro Shops on Jamie McMurry's car. I didn't see Best Buy on 'Dinger's car. Or, for that matter, a Lowe's sticker on the 99. So it's not all driven by the sponsors.
    Many Sponsor deals are for particular series alone. Listen...I know for a fact that part of Gainsco/Grand-Am deal is having the Sprint Cup Champion or another of Stalling's choice in their car for the 24.

I seem to remember something about $5million being tossed around in this thread. Does Jimmy get more than that for running the 24 hours?
    Don't be silly

Just as any sponsor would get a lot more exposure for having a car at the Indy race in Vegas, running for a chance at $5million. Thanks for proving my point.
    I wasn't arguing that point. You can argue if the ROI for a NASCAR sponsor is worth the Las Vegas deal.

I've seen NASCAR guys racing lots of stuff; late models, sprints, midgets, off road, etc.
    Please read the whole sentence.......I said non-oval!
    Minor, oval series just plays into the NASCAR Demo. When was the last time a name NASCAR driver drove in the ALMS, World, Challenge, ICS or Rally?