Thread: Sherlock

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Sherlock

We're just getting this series in Australia now and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. My initial impressions before the series began was that either it would be either terrible or that they'd have to pull off a brilliant series because Granada had pretty well much laid down a definitive series with Jeremy Brett.
    I must admit I have to hand it to the Beeb, they have done very very well.

I do however have one question, throughout the books, Holmes generally gives the impression as being aloof and almost disinterested in life until a crime happens to turn up. Do you think this is the result of misanthropy, which is in turn further fed by his involvement in solving crimes?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Benedict Cumberbatch presented last week's Have I Got News For You and was suprisingly good
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I do however have one question, throughout the books, Holmes generally gives the impression as being aloof and almost disinterested in life until a crime happens to turn up. Do you think this is the result of misanthropy, which is in turn further fed by his involvement in solving crimes?
    Deep question, and one to which I don't have the answer, but don't you agree that the writers of House have captured this aspect of the man on whom the series is based?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    He also served as the Stephen Hawkings voice in the recent series "Stephen Hawking's Universe"
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Why? I've got text-to-speech software on my PC that does a decent impression of Hawkins, without paying an actor
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I enojyed Sherlock when it was on, felt like a good update on the stories. Benedict Cumberpatch, besides having the greatest name ever, plays the role with impressive aplomb.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Deep question, and one to which I don't have the answer, but don't you agree that the writers of House have captured this aspect of the man on whom the series is based?
    Absolutely. It very much pays homage to it, what with his home being 221B! And the relationship between House/Wilson (Holmes/Watson). And the patient in the season 2 finale who shot him called Moriaty!
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo
    Benedict Cumberpatch .... plays the role with impressive aplomb.
    Doesn't he just! His casting was the one thing that would have put me off what sounded like a brilliant show on paper, but within minutes I was unashamedly hooked.

It's Dr Who for those who aren't hard of thinking
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    I was expecting it to be a pile of dung - however, I was delighted to be wrong!! A modern take on a classic - and it really works. Great stuff!! The casting has worked a treat.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I wasn't convinced by the chap playing Moriarty at all.

I always thought that Moriarty was more of a magnificent *******, but here he seemed to be some sort of loon; his voice was just plain weird.

On the BBC's website Steven Moffat said that he considered all previous interpretations as canon, however this version of Moriarty was less Professor James Moriarty and more Count Jim "knees" Moriarty, three times World Underwater Saxophone Champion (you've got to go Ooooowwwwwww).
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!