Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Hell no he didn't block! To block someone, you have to swerve to stay in front of him. Power was to Elio's left before the "move" so it was not a block. This is worse than that blown call at the end of Armando Galarraga's perfect game because Barnhart, unlike the umpires in MLB, has the luxury of replay.
    the same bogus blocking was in the ALMS also, luckly, the Highcroft Acura had a puncture at the same moment of the BS so called block when the Cytosport Porsche tried to pass 2 GT2 cars on the bottom of the straight
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was it a block or not? The problem with most of the complaints and arguments are that they are based on the viewer's interpretation and judgment of what is a block. But what matters is what the rules say is a block and what instructions were given to the drivers in the drivers meeting. We (and Helio) not agree with that interpretation, but a rule is a rule, and violation warrants a response consistent with the announced penalties.

So in my mind the only questions concern what the drivers were told would be considered a block. What Helio actually did doesn't need interpretation - it is all on the video we have all seen too many times. Not many have any disagreement about that.

If the drivers were told that a lead car going to the right of the center line would be considered a block, then Helio did block. Perhaps the fact he overshot the turn and pushed Power very wide into the marbles may have been considered part of a block if it was deemed deliberate. If that isn't what they were told would be block, then the other drivers have an obligation to clear up the matter, because it is obvious that some fans won't believe anything from the IRL and only will believe what they want to believe.

Was it a block? Darned if I know as the rule hasn't yet been explained very clearly by anyone, especially the "experts" on racing forums. When I heard on th broadcast that Helio was getting drive though, like almost everyone else I said "What? Was that a block?". After reflection, I honestly don't know as I don't know the rule

But I do know that touching, grabbing, or pushing an official is a serious violation, regardless of the reasons. Helio also disobeyed an official call to take the drive through. He may not agree with the call, but you don't ignore the officials unless you are willing to face the consequences. IHMO, Helio was out of line in his response after the fact and deserves some penalty. If those 2 events are allowed to go without comment by the league, then I have lost respect for the IRL.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pay Back time.

Helio has gotten away with a lot of stuff over the years. Blocking and taking out others. Including PT. Maybe this was pay back time.
    roadking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    Blocking calls are B.S. anyway, there shouldn't be penelties for blocking unless it results in a wreck or they run the person all the way down the track. That being said Helio did block but as I said it shouldn't have been a penalty.

agreed. Protecting your position is an essential part of racing. What's the lead car supposed to do, pretend its the AYSO and let someone else win because it 'not fair to be in the lead'/ ??? This is utter BS, why race at all when it is illegal to protect your lead as long as no one is endangered.

PS when have they ever called blocking in Nascar? It is only about 10x more popular that indy car in the USA.. maybe they're on to something...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I bet Paul Tracy is smiling.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just finished watched on tape delay...

rediculous...dont know what else to say
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    question for the class?

can the results be protested?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    I didn't think it was in the rules that either Helio or Danica could be actually penalized for blocking.

Both are two of the biggest offenders in the sport. And have always been.

Whether you do it at that point in the race, is the biggest question.

But did Helio block? Of course. He's damn good at it. And he finally got called on it.
    thank you, the 2 of them get away with murder everyrace with their blocks, but since the media and the crowd loves them, the IRL is always too scared to penalize them.

it was a pretty solid race in part until EJ pulled his bonehead move and shunted Simona, causing her to lose that lap (another thing, does the safety crew absolutely hate her or something, she was stalled there for how long before someone actually got her refired)

PT drove a heck of a race, as well as Sato who finally put a complete race together
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFan
    question for the class?

can the results be protested?
    It is my understanding that under the rules this cannot be protested.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Helio Hijinks

You have to wonder what the CAPTAIN is going to do. "OK guys am going to INDY for the 400 have a good race...." HAH. And I know this is a bad infraction because I no likee Helio but wrong is wrong and Barnhart is wrong. I heard RM on Windbag extra suggest that Unser Jr get in their and be the steward and I could not agree more. Get a get great driver in the box and lose BARNEY.