Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby_Hamlin
    It depends whether you're talking about purely making overtaking more possible or somehow artificially creating lots of overtaking.

For example, it doesn't matter whether overtaking is easier if the quickest car qualifies on pole and then drives away from the field - that's just motor racing.

On the other hand - when a car can be catching another by nearly 2 seconds a lap and then hit the 'brick wall' of the dirty air and make no more progress - that's something that needs addressing in my opinion.
    I concur.

What I would also like to see is a system which removes the safety car from races. It only artificially bunches the field back up and allows drivers to end up in positions they don't deserve, and inevitably causes more accidents due to close proximity of the vehicles.

Safety car periods breed safety car periods.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    .......when a car can be catching another by nearly 2 seconds a lap and then hit the 'brick wall' of the dirty air and make no more progress - that's something that needs addressing in my opinion.
    Excellent point. The solution is simple: Every car should have a wind tunnel test where it's illegal to dirty the following air by more than a certain limit (which would be defined as a percentage of lost downforce).

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    It depends whether you're talking about purely making overtaking more possible or somehow artificially creating lots of overtaking.

For example, it doesn't matter whether overtaking is easier if the quickest car qualifies on pole and then drives away from the field - that's just motor racing.

On the other hand - when a car can be catching another by nearly 2 seconds a lap and then hit the 'brick wall' of the dirty air and make no more progress - that's something that needs addressing in my opinion.

Spot On
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts

Agreed with that

I also agree with Ross brawn that we dont want it to easy as right now it does make very move so much more exciting when it comes off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree for the most part. I don't want a situation that creates artificial passing (if some of you think that's what the Handford Device did in CART, that's not quite accurate). However, the way it is in F1 now, there's hardly any suspense to it (though that was not the case in Turkey, much to my pleasant surprise), it's like whoever gets pole will probably win and any passing is mostly done in the pits.

Well, that is the pits.

I want to see competition on the racetrack, battles for positions, not forgone conclusions. F1 is supposed to be the cream of the crop, and no, it's not supposed to be easy.

It's not supposed to be predictable, either.
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I concur.

What I would also like to see is a system which removes the safety car from races. It only artificially bunches the field back up and allows drivers to end up in positions they don't deserve, and inevitably causes more accidents due to close proximity of the vehicles.

Safety car periods breed safety car periods.
    Yes, but don't you think that most of the time we see a safety car, it probably needs to be out there? I mean, compared to American motorsports, I think F1 does a very good job of deploying the safety car only when absolutely necessary. In NASCAR they throw a yellow (and even have "competition" yellows) for unseen debris and hotdog wrappers on the track. The IRL throws a full course yellow and deploys a pace car, where F1 would have a local yellow, because they're apparently too broke to hire cranes to snag & bag wrecked cars off line.

Since I'd put emphasis on the "great" in Brawn's response, I'd have to agree with him. One or two great passes are memorable. Twenty or thirty meaningless, drafting passes are not.

Just my 2 cents...
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

perfectly summed up.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Overtaking should come naturally within the races structure. If there is a lack of overtaking, it is very important to pinpoint the definite area where the problem lies. It's very clear that the difficulty with closing a gap in dirty air poses the biggest threat to overtaking, or even creating an overtaking opportunity for yourself. But making new regulations, dicing around current ones, without actually focusing on the biggest hindrance, just wastes time, money and confuses/irritates fans, drivers and team personnel. That said, the dirty air flaw doesn't seem to be as bad as it was in the past.

However, taking that out of the equation, I don't believe that there is any other serious flaws regarding overtaking in the sport currently. And this year, I must say, I've enjoyed the increase in on-track racing which I don't for one minute put down to some wet or damp conditions we have experienced. We have had some absolutely stupid moves by a number of drivers this season and, while this could be argued to be careless driving as opposed to skilled or professional, it is creating more spectacle and entertainment.

Interesting point about the safety car too. I, for one, hate the field being bunched up. Safety is a very important element of the sport, of course. But, remembering that up to the early 1990s some cars were even left road-side for the remaining race distance after retiring, how essential are the safety car periods we have endured in recent years? If a car stops on track, but off the racing line, then the only threat that it really poses is to another which is badly off the racing line, with the possibility of hitting the stricken car. I think that leaving cars abandoned road-side (perhaps only in slow areas of the course and when enough racing line is left) creates interesting changes to the approach of lapping the track during a race. Though that idea is quite far-fetched in many respects I know, I think it could be done safely and improve the races structure since there would be no safety car to deal with. Though, obviously, in cases where the racing line and driver safety is at risk, I do agree that the safety car is a welcome addition to the race.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Well said

Hey I have an idea....lets invert the field. The pole sitter starts p24, and last place on the pole! That would surely increase passing, LOL
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    All we need is one team to figure out a way to run well in another car's "dirty air" and you'll hear the biggest outcry of cheating on this forum - until everyone else copies it, of course.
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty