Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It is curious....I tried to get to the story on the IRL website and I couldn't get the story to pop up so either they are swamped or they don't want to admit they are taking this seriously.

I read the interview with Robin Miller and if you only read the article you would think Ken is thinking outside the box and is a really forward thinker BUT then you see the picture..and it doesn't LOOK like it would work. I watched the simulation and I just refuse to believe a car with that narrow track in the front would generate the G-forces needed to be credible.

It is however something I would love to see in a prototype to hit the track, because if you READ what Bowlby is trying to achieve, he is trying to answer all our concerns. If this car did all of that...then it is truly an earthshattering design...I just don't believe it without seeing the car on the track.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Great, Ace and Gary go Indycar Racing!

http://puntabulous.com/wp-content/aceandgary.JPG
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not going to be hard for IndyCar and Barnhardt to chose a competing design over this team-owners project.

Bitchin' soap box derby car though.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    Does anyone have pics or links from the Chicago Auto Show unveiling ?

THIS Delta Wing Car IS NOT AN INDYCAR. All the heritage and logical evolution of IndyCar design IMO DOES NOT go this direction. Keep this design in ALMS or sports car racing. GAG GAG GAG.

never mind got the links from pressdog
    Was the Turbine car an Indy car? Was Brabham's Cooper in 61 an Indycar? People at the Speedway said no, but both were outside the box thinking. The Cooper changed the destiny of the Speedway forever, and the Turbine could have if it wasn't outlawed. We shouldn't have any preconceived ideas of what the Indycar should be. THIS innovation and change is why Indy was always a very interesting place to be in May for DECADES leading into the 90's. Whether it was the Junk formula of the 30's, the front wheel drive roadsters, the Offy's laid down sideways, the stock blocks, ground effects Chapparals, or Mercedes OHV design, Indy has had a tradition of innovation.

I don't like the look of his delta wing design, but I resent the idea of anyone saying it isn't an Indycar. Indy cars race at Indy, and if the IRL picked up this design and said it was legal, as long as they didn't say other cars with other designs couldn't race against it, I would be ok with Ganassi showing up with this thing if they could run against more conventional designs. Let the engine specs determine the formula and safety, not just an arbitrary rule.

People who dismiss this cannot then turn around and say they want innovation back....because ugly it may be but outside the box it is...

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    It's not going to be hard for IndyCar and Barnhardt to chose a competing design over this team-owners project.

Bitchin' soap box derby car though.
    They probably will, but I would love to see a prototype of this on the track before I dismiss the concept.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn that's ugly

I like the Swift, Dallara concepts better. That said there should not be a spec chassis. I want to see different looking cars on the track.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    They probably will, but I would love to see a prototype of this on the track before I dismiss the concept.
    Agreed, particularly if a car of this type opened up a new era or innovation and record speeds at Indy...that's what its all about. Indy is Bonneville in its own way.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    Agreed, particularly if a car of this type opened up a new era or innovation and record speeds at Indy...that's what its all about. Indy is Bonneville in its own way.
    You and I are in the minority....

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Thinking about this a bit longer, I wonder if the drivers would be able to judge the width of the car. With today's high sideprotection a driver does not have a very good view of the rear.
    Also, if you skim this car against the wall you will have problem. A car with equal front and back width will bounce. But when this car hits the wall, the rear hits first, and then the front will slingshot against the wall.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was really looking forward to liking this car, maybe partly just for the sake of having an argument against a new Dallara. I have to say though, WOW! What a dud!! This thing looks like crap for an Indycar. It belongs on the Bonneville Salt Flats trying for speed records or something, but not at Indy. Dallara 1 and Swift both look nice, maybe Lola will come up with something to look at soon.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.