Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Here we go again. Despite the logic, Ken wants to see the physical contract and won't settle for anything less.

So Ken do you HONESTLY think that the insurance people don't care and turn a blind eye to the speeds run at the various tracks? And that they don't have risk assessment teams that weigh heavily on the cost of insurance or even it's availability? They sure as hell do for every other industry they insure. Why should the IRL be immune? Please provide some sort of tangible proof that they are immune to the same sort of business practices that the insurance industry has with other types of business.

Gary
    \

Funny, when he said Toronto was on death's door and in danger of being not run, I asked for proof and he didn't provide it. I think my opinion on this subject is a lot more valid than his opinion on Toronto's future.

I don't know why he is questioning Homer's assessment. 15 million pounds to ensure a GP sounds a bit much, but he is the insurance man, not me. After the IRL had people die in the stands in Charlotte due to a wheel flying off, you want to again tell me the IRL isn't paranoid about insurance issues? That was a few years back but you can bet anyone underwriting an IRL event is VERY aware of that and asking questions the IRL has to answer before giving the go-ahead. No insurance, no race. No governing body of racing can race without the financial implications of a car going into the stands being covered. While we all love fast cars, and Tomas's assertion that more speed would be nice is something I agree with, I suspect it isn't going to be much faster and it is something the IRL would have to keep an eye on...because the underwriters will as well.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Since I am not in the IRL head offices, no I cant. However Brian France of NASCAR has repeatedely said on many occasions that it was insurance reasons that they put the plates on Cup cars at Talladega and Daytona. .
    well cooooolll!.... if its been repeatedly then it shouldn't be hard to find.... i'd love to read about.....
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    \

Funny, when he said Toronto was on death's door and in danger of being not run, I asked for proof and he didn't provide it.

l.

no i didn't..... but i unequivically stated numerous times it was strictly pure speculation on my part..

and frankly mark you continue to look foolish trying to paint it otherwise....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    \

I don't know why he is questioning Homer's assessment. 15 million pounds to ensure a GP sounds a bit much, but he is the insurance man, not me.

for the second time.... I'm questioning becuase the #'s make absolutly no sense....in fact I'd go so far to call them comlplete rubbish...

simply take the 15/30 million dollar # and apply it to the 500's attendance and ticket prices.....no other ecevent comes close, certainly not a regional UK race......

if you wanna swallow that hook line and sinker be my guest.... me? not going to do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.planet-irl.com/podcasts/pt.mp3

^ above is a podcast from last night with PT...about midway thru they discuss tomas' post....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didn't catch all the details at the end of that Podcast, but they were talking about problems with the Edmonton race. Were they suggesting that the 2010 race might not happen, or races further down the road? It sounded like they lost quite a bit in 2009, but they still renewed with the IRL as of a couple months ago... so not sure what that means.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Just to add a little perspective to the issue, this is not a new thing. Cars, and parts like wheels, have been visiting spectator areas since racing began. Some incidents are well known like LeMans (50s?), Indy several times, a few NASCAR events, etc. There have been incidents at lower level events too. There was a car at an SCCA club event a couple years ago that went off course through a fence and hit a grandstand (very lightly occupied and no injuries) which I personally saw. Insurance companies have experience with it. The only question is how much will they charge to cover it?
    That's just it Starter. I am stating that no insurance company is going to want to cover a governing body where they think there is a very casual attitude towards a car doing into the stands. When it happened at Daytona and Talladega, NASCAR brought in the plates. Only Ken seems to think they overeacted. He is also being naive if he thinks the insurance company in question for the track didn't make a phone call to ISC and NASCAR.

As for the Insurance man saying it was 15 million pounds to insure the British GP, I don't know how much I would want to believe that number except to say a man in the Insurance biz would have a better idea than Ken would.

As for your assertions Ken, I have given up a long time ago getting you to respect my opinion. You haven't said one thing on the subject of Toronto that wans't your opinion, but you seem to NOT tolerate my opinion. Hence my disdain for your continued assertion that the insurance companies are NOT a factor in the speeds being allowed to creep up.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".