Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Half the people on this forum complain that Grp.N is boring....1.6T won't be any better. Grp.N WRX/Evos are already 2L turbo, how exciting will WRC be with 1.6T. Exciting to think that Grp.N cars will possibly be faster then World rally cars....dumb idea.

I personally enjoy the Grp.N cars, well driven they are more exciting then WRC cars and S2000 cars.

Go back to the days of Grp.A.....
    Tristan Kent

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKM Jnr
    Half the people on this forum complain that Grp.N is boring....1.6T won't be any better. Grp.N WRX/Evos are already 2L turbo, how exciting will WRC be with 1.6T. Exciting to think that Grp.N cars will possibly be faster then World rally cars....dumb idea.
    That would not happen because S2000 cars are already faster than Grp N and have less torque and possibly less power than the 1.6Ts would.

People here should stop thinking just about the power/torque. The current WRCars have bucketloads and they're still terrible to watch, I think the transmissions/chassis are just as important in this respect.

Liked 1,263 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    If Group N is the answer to anything, that question should never have been asked. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever.
    That's another thing as well. When will GroupN return to a proper 'showroom class'? How on earth are S2000 in the same class as them, completely mystifies me. Stop adding weight to the S2000's, please.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 11,208 Times in 4,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKM Jnr

I personally enjoy the Grp.N cars, well driven they are more exciting then WRC cars and S2000 cars.

Go back to the days of Grp.A.....
    Delta S4 was only 1.7 turbo... New WRC may easyly be 1.6 turbo and much faster than gr.N and much more spectacular. And they needn't to be very expensive. It's just a question of rulles.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,370 Times in 713 Posts
    It will always depend on the restrictor, and what else will get limitations I guess, but I expect FIA to decide a couple of hours before the first rally to give the manufacturers more than enough time........

When you have at least 10 manufacturers in S2000, I would have given that a chance in 2010, to get them into the circus - and if S2000 shows not to be good enough, change to 1600T for 2013. That would give them 2 years to construct a new one. But then the 1600T tech rules need to be ready mid 2010 !

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urabus-denoS2000
    1,6 turbo sounds OK but only if it's kept under simple rules,like the old Group A!!!
    This means that we would go back to the time before 1997 where the manufacturer had to build 2500 4WD turbocharged cars. Wasn’t WRC rules developed so as car manufacturers who didn’t have a 4WD turbocharged car in their program could compete in rally world championship. Today there are only two manufacturers that could compete in group A, Mitsubishi and Subaru.

BTW, WRC cars are based on group A cars.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/2589A7BA2955E0A2C12574FF0051D9F4/$FILE/255%20(2009)-15112008.pdf

A ”Word Rally Car” (WR) is a variant of a fixed model of car, previously homologated in group A and must therefore be assembled as a group A vehicle.

If you look at “APPENDIX J TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTING CODE” (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regul...tingCodeA.aspx
    There are no specific regulations for WRC. WRC use the same regulations as group A.

And another btw. Mitsubishi Evo 9 is not valid in group A.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    It will always depend on the restrictor
    Yes it depends on the restrictor. It’s not the turbo that kills the sound, it’s the dam restrictor. It would be far better with limited boost instead of a restrictor. The old group B cars didn’t have so high boost (as the example Mirek gave) but they had the highest torque around 5000 rpm and best power around 8000 rpm so they where driven with high revs. Even group N cars would sound better with limited boost instead of a restrictor.

I would be pleased to see two alive championships, WRC with 1,6T limited boost / high rev engines and IRC with S2000 cars (that are already high rev nice sounded engines).
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    Wow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atsiotras79
    I am also in favour of the S2000 pattern!

I was wondering if anybody remembers what the great Colin McRae said about how the top class in WRC should be. I think he said 2.5lt, no turbo, 4WD!

I just cannot imagine how such beasts would sound and look! S2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is why he built the R4
    "Take 'er handy and win every rally around"
    ( Frank Meagher ) R.I.P

Liked 11,208 Times in 4,448 Posts
    The best sounding engine would be flat 6 cylinder N/A engine but that's pretty unrealistic
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump