Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    But the regulations are arguably far too strict from a designers point of view and it has been aero that has had the huge gains in racing.

Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    What they should do, is put hard limits on the amount of downforce a car can generate at a certain speed, and be done with it. Now, let the teams generate that downforce however they want (ground effect... whatever).
    How would the FIA enforce this?

That would mean the track owners will have to install a full scale wind tunnel just for scrutineering! Bernie could pay!

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    No, arbitrary bans are discriminatory and not good for the sport.

What they should do, is put hard limits on the amount of downforce a car can generate at a certain speed, and be done with it. Now, let the teams generate that downforce however they want (ground effect... whatever).

Not to mention that in my ideal F1, restrictions on engine would also be lifted, and the only regulation would be on the type of fuel, and how much fuel a car can consume. Then let them build turbos, wan.kel, or whatever engineers can come up with.

Alas, these simple notions are too hard for FIA and FOM to grasp.

(had to put that dot in wan.kel to get past the lame filter)
    Agreed, but first we had multiple front and rear wing designs, then "winglets" all over the chassis and now the aptly named "shark fin". Where will it end F1 cars are looking weirder and weirder every day.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Look what happened when ground effect was banned. Teams employed a system to lower parts of the bodywork with a handle, and raise it again for scrutineering.

You will never be able to police it. How do you prove the aero load of a car out on the track?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Agreed, but first we had multiple front and rear wing designs, then "winglets" all over the chassis and now the aptly named "shark fin". Where will it end F1 cars are looking weirder and weirder every day.
    Here in the USA all our open-wheel cars are spec. Which stinks. Bring on the weirdness, I say! Nobody said F1 cars have to look pretty. In fact, the regulations that raised the front wing off the ground is the most ugly part, because when you look at it, you just KNOW it's sitting too high.
    Formula Platypus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Shifter
    Here in the USA all our open-wheel cars are spec. Which stinks. Bring on the weirdness, I say! Nobody said F1 cars have to look pretty. In fact, the regulations that raised the front wing off the ground is the most ugly part, because when you look at it, you just KNOW it's sitting too high.
    I dont know. I'm a purist when it comed to racecar designs. I hate it when manufacturers start making the cars look ugly with all the aero bits. The new wings and winglets all over the chassis are also helping create turbulence behind the car, one of the major problems affecting successful passing in F1
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    I dont know. I'm a purist when it comed to racecar designs. I hate it when manufacturers start making the cars look ugly with all the aero bits. The new wings and winglets all over the chassis are also helping create turbulence behind the car, one of the major problems affecting successful passing in F1
    Yep. Which is why 2009 is looking promising!

I hope it is

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    For me Formula One cars are never "ugly" as such. I have always liked creativity and as long as cars develop further and further, I'm happy.