Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral66
    Richard Petty? Waldo, did the email really get read like that? I assume that person meant the 1967 race in which the turbine was driven by Parnelli Jones...
    Yes!!!

Few races, about 11 were scheduled for Monday as it was May 30th.
    That race in 1967 was scheduled for a Tuesday and finished on Wednesday.
    Parnelli led 171 before a $6.00 Ball bearing in the gearbox failed.
    Richard Petty won 27 races in NASCAR that year.
    Richard Petty never turned a lap at IMS.
    Richard Petty did not get STP Sponsorship until 1971.

See that is how he learned it, and even Dave and Robin cannot convince him.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What gets me, is that 1967 was a important year for racing, and Foyt's landmark success at Indy and just a few weeks later at Le Mans with Dan Gurney is a matter of record that anyone can find just by Googling. There have been plenty of books written on that race and plenty of material on the internet about it...
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral66
    What gets me, is that 1967 was a important year for racing, and Foyt's landmark success at Indy and just a few weeks later at Le Mans with Dan Gurney is a matter of record that anyone can find just by Googling. There have been plenty of books written on that race and plenty of material on the internet about it...
    Yes but it wasn't how he learned it. Thus all of us alive that saw it, heard it, read it, felt the emotions of the moment, all the books, magazines and the drivers who did it actually know less than this guy because he read it on the internet.

Remember it is up to the person making the corrections to prove via internet with link, the proof. Being there counts for nothing as does driving the car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasguy
    Yep.... doing his damage to the NHRA.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I just don't care for his commentating. And when it was him and Bobby Unser I really had trouble watching
    I prefer him though to the current commentary team. Page wasn't perfect, but he wasn't monotone, boring and constantly talking about the same subject (guess what im refering too... it starts with a D : )
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    From what I've seen of Pages commentary, he seems pretty good.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seats: 4th turn, Stand H, Row JJ, Seat 4
    Distance traveling: 190.06 Miles
    500s attended: This will be my 13th (Did not stay in 97 for the Monday Race)
    Rooting for: Kanaan
    Rooting against: Rain (good call by others but we look good so far) and Scheckter.

I will be down early Saturday for the autograph session.

If you go to the drivers meeting I will be the one swearing a Scheckter.

If Vasser is in the garage area I will be the one cussing him out to go back to Michigan for the weekend because "Who needs milk." (Jackass)

I could possibly be the one making out with Julianne Hough.

I want Kanaan to win, but im imagining the crowd if Danica could pull it off...

OH< I will be enjoying an IRL race for the first time since September without having to listen to horrible announcers. FOR THE 50TH TIME PLEASE BRING BACK PAUL PAGE. NOW.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millencolin
    I prefer him though to the current commentary team. Page wasn't perfect, but he wasn't monotone, boring and constantly talking about the same subject (guess what im refering too... it starts with a D : )

Oh don't get everyone fired up with that D thingy....

I think my biggest problem with PP was that when he was doing the commentary there were (IMHO) better guys available. I watched some of the NHRA stuff the other day and he did do a better job than I have seen him do in the past.
    But then again, I don't know much about drag racing so had he been making mistakes I never would have known.
    It's all one series now... can't we all get along?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !!WALDO!!
    Richard Petty never turned a lap at IMS.
    Not true, I was there. It was in the lead up to the first Brickyard 400. RP turned several hot laps and, we were told, refused to bring it in for several more laps after he'd been told to bring it in.

Seats: Section C Front Straightaway
    Distance: 60 miles (substantially down from previous years)
    500s Attended: 1976-1995 & 2001 (even though "we" were kicking butt in '01 it no longer felt like home)
    Rooting For: Rahal, Power & Wilson
    Rooting Against: Another split

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So if you can, I can't?
    I never admonished the reader that the they shouldn't try to deduce my tone or intent and then went on to do exactly that to someone else's words.

You just want to make it personal, me I was just pointing a vast difference between you and me. Passion for the sport, not despising everything you don’t understand in favor of “how you learned it”. (Not my words but yours)
    Hmm, I just did a search of this forum and found no such quote attributed to me. The only thing even marginally close was about the January weather in Australia. Surely you are not dredging that up and trying to apply it here. I wasn't the one making this personal. Of all the replies to this thread specifically about what 500's folks attended, you choose mine as the one lacking the "proper" passion. Despite the fact that I described the fact that, as a child, I had a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear to hear every moment and several others responses were clearly less passionate. Sorry that doesn't meet YOUR criteria for passion.

See it is about race and how it affected me for 44 years not your words the rung empty of emotions thus lacking the passion of expression.
    Or is it about the fact that some of us choose to give a short concise response like the person who started the thread, while some of us want to droll on and on at every opportunity about all the detail that they know and how that makes them a more passionate fan, a better fan, a keeper of the truth etc. etc. etc. We get it. You're much better than us. We bow and kiss the ring. Feel better now?

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I never admonished the reader that the they shouldn't try to deduce my tone or intent and then went on to do exactly that to someone else's words.
    You do all the time. I try to be nice and you take a sentence out of context and use that as proof. Too bad you don’t read, the next to last time you did that, I was using the exact words of “Ken” yet you assumed they were mine.

Hmm, I just did a search of this forum and found no such quote attributed to me. The only thing even marginally close was about the January weather in Australia. Surely you are not dredging that up and trying to apply it here. I wasn't the one making this personal. Of all the replies to this thread specifically about what 500's folks attended, you choose mine as the one lacking the "proper" passion. Despite the fact that I described the fact that, as a child, I had a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear to hear every moment and several others responses were clearly less passionate. Sorry that doesn't meet YOUR criteria for passion.
    No, you said it. Why would it stick in my mind the man that painted the picture that seem to avoiding? You said it and stuck to it. I remember everything I type or say, you deny first and then swing it as my fault.
    If you as a child had that then you know the voice I am talking about. So your 59 years on this planet based on your insistence on being always right when you just demonstrate despise for anyone that dares to question you.

Or is it about the fact that some of us choose to give a short concise response like the person who started the thread, while some of us want to droll on and on at every opportunity about all the detail that they know and how that makes them a more passionate fan, a better fan, a keeper of the truth etc. etc. etc. We get it. You're much better than us. We bow and kiss the ring. Feel better now?

Droll on? See you have no passion. Notice I did make that post first, yet I read your post and it reminded me of that “Richard Petty” email on Wind Tunnel.
    See my point is if you listened for 19 years it would be engrained like me after one.
    That is why those words and your attempts to swing away from the real issue of a person’s love of the place. I see you still didn’t read it but it was for people that cared.