Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    It's not about IF he made hand gestures, it's about WHY he made those gestures!!?
    Do we know (not assume) why he made the gesture?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So you give your own example to show the audience what's right or wrong. Why, do you think that the rest of the forum have never been in a tense situation.
    We are different and react different to things. To show a finger is not cheating, it's not putting someone in danger, it's just showing emotion, and there is as many ways of doing it as people in this planet. Not saying it's desirable or needed, all I'm saying is that it's harmless therefore let each one show emotions in his way.
    Why is it that Muhamed Ali was one of the cockiest sportsmen in history, bashed his oponents in every way he could, yet he's regarded as one of the greats of all time.

Cheers
    David
    Take the pedal to the metal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OTA
    Why is it that Muhamed Ali was one of the cockiest sportsmen in history, bashed his oponents in every way he could, yet he's regarded as one of the greats of all time.

Cheers
    David
    When he started his professional carreer the public opinion about him was much different than what it is now.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Exactly ,Tomi, time gives perspective to things. What may look unsporting at a certain moment, it's no more that a tiny detail in an athlete career. And drivers with a more "extravagant" way of showing emotions, might as well be the fairer, while others who are able to control their emotions might as well be sore characters with little interest in fairness or sporting values.
    As I said, a finger is not cheating, is not putting the life or the result of others in danger, it's just showing emotion. It might be rude or politically incorrect, but some here scream for punishment in something that is really insignificant.

Cheers
    David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OTA
    Exactly ,Tomi, time gives perspective to things. What may look unsporting at a certain moment, it's no more that a tiny detail in an athlete career. And drivers with a more "extravagant" way of showing emotions, might as well be the fairer, while others who are able to control their emotions might as well be sore characters with little interest in fairness or sporting values.
    As I said, a finger is not cheating, is not putting the life or the result of others in danger, it's just showing emotion. It might be rude or politically incorrect, but some here scream for punishment in something that is really insignificant.

Cheers
    David
    Agree, I think it's much about how to handle emotions and maybe how to cope with pressure and expectations. In Hamiltons case maybe his "carreer bioraphy" was "written" a bit too early, they should maybe have waited a bit like they did with Ali.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    In Hamiltons case maybe his "carreer bioraphy" was "written" a bit too early, they should maybe have waited a bit like they did with Ali.
    Yes, they should....the chapter about why Hamilton refused to serve in Iraq will make the controversy about his move to Switzerland seem tame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's a whole different subject, a biography at 22 has to be incomplete by definition, unless the subject in question is no longer with us. However, if his way of dealing with pressure is to throw a finger here and there, is in my opinion very little to criticise the guy, and specially very little to diminish his position as a major sporting character. His China and Brazil shows have much more substance if you ask me.
    Cheers
    David

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    In Hamiltons case maybe his "carreer bioraphy" was "written" a bit too early, they should maybe have waited a bit like they did with Ali.
    The world now is a totally different place to 1960 when Ali made his mark on the sporting world by winning Olympic gold.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    The world now is a totally different place to 1960 when Ali made his mark on the sporting world by winning Olympic gold.
    Plus, unlike most sportsman, Ali was one of the symbols of the civil rights movement and anti-Vietnam movements.

Sometimes the times maketh the man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't feel atheletes have any duty in being role models in anything else that being able to reach the top in their career. Civil liberties or any other political subject is their duty as much as ours and some people like to live it in an anonimous way and other don't.
    I just don't beleive for a second that celebritie status gives you any more power to make a difference than the rest of us.
    Cheers
    David