Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what do you think?

I didn't get to see the race since I was moving, so what do think of the first race since unifying?
    "Racing is life. Everything before or after, is just waiting." Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought it was OK. The field was a little bigger than last season, but the racing was a little boring at times because the IRL doesn't seem to has as much side by side racing anymore as they did in the early 2000s.

Still, it was defnitely an improvement on last season's races, although the former Champ Car teams were more field fillers than anything else and some of their drivers were just embarrassingly slow. If they could replace some of the Visos and Perreras by Paul Tracys and Patrick Carpentiers, the series could slowly become more like the old CART again.

Marco was very impressive, though, especially considering his oval track record from last year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote="Pieter Dams"]I
    If they could replace some of the Visos and Perreras by Paul Tracys and Patrick Carpentiers, the series could slowly become more like the old CART again.

quote]

Oh dear! What an uninformed quote. Check the facts before responding.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it's fair to say that the ex-Champ Car teams were more interested in leaving Homestead with a fully intact car so they can go racing next weekend at St Petersburg, where they'll have more of a chance at competing with the IRL teams.

Don't forget, most of these drivers have very little or no experience of racing on ovals and only Junqueira has driven one of these style IRL cars (even that was a G-Force in the Indy 500, not a Dallara) on an oval. Chances are that these guys had more downforce on the cars to make sure they got home in one piece. It was more of a learning experience for them and the response of the IRL drivers was that they drove well.

I was worried that it could have turned into a crash-fest with the ex-CCWS cars getting in the way of the more experienced IRL guys, but it didn't turn out that way and in that respect, the new guys acquitted themselves well.

It's onwards and upwards from here!!

Just a side note, I still don't like the sound of the engines - reminds me of fighter planes zooming past in WWII movies. But I'll put up with it until they can (hopefully) sort something better out for 2010.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiec
    Just a side note, I still don't like the sound of the engines.
    Name one person who does :

I hope the IndyCar series is picked up by free-to-air back here. It'd certainly be better than the one hour of highlights packages CCWS fans were faced with.

Besides, IndyCar has two Australians in the field. One of which was extremely good in the V8's. Fingers crossed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well get to see the highlights tomorrow, can't wait to see it.

I will always miss the turbo's, but if that is the only sacrifice to a merged series then I have to take it.

Think the CCWS guys were going slow to save cars and parts. ST PEte should be more interesting and that'll could be more of a crash fest.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It was not the best race. But the races will get better once the CC guys start catching up.
    \"Tha Realest\"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The race was okay for me. It was nice to see the big hooplah in the beginning and the crowd was bigger than usual for Homestead. RM had a good point in saying to have the first race where people actually care about racing (Long Beach, hmmmmm).

I was watching the race feeling as though there was something missing, like:

PT
    Doornbos
    A CC car that could compete

All I was really rooting for was Power, Wilson and Servia. I pulled for Marco and he did a good job.

I know it'll be different this weekend, thank God. It just felt kind of strange knowing the CC guys were waaaaay behind.

Yo Red Bull, send over Speed and AJ. I'm sure AJ's getting bored

Again............We really, really, really need PT out there. FREE PT, FREE PT, FREE PT!!!!!!!!!!
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Indy will be a good indicator of progress, but this is a patched up "transition" season and it will have plenty of bumps.

With 2 or 3 XCCrs in the top 10 next week it will be a lot more balanced.

I hear PCM will be at Indy and beyond, that would be nice too.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sorry to say this but I fell asleep. I have the same problem with NASCAR. The drone of those engines work like a sleeping pill. The announcers attempts to make it exciting didn't keep me awake. I lost 30+ laps to sleep.

I liked the hipe at the start and the wheel to wheel fight at the front. Later, I rooted for Marco. Good first event overall. I appreciated the compliments from the regular drivers towards the transisition drivers.

Roundy round racing is not my cup of tea.