Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TRIPPLE CROWN, tripple crown tripple crown.

Ok so now the merger is done and things are looking a little more rosey, what are the chances of a sponsor coming along to stump up a million dollars for the winner of the tripple crown.

Hopefully including Indy, Michigan, and California/Texas/Las Vegas. (I'm aware these tracks are not all being run right now).

I would love to see that brought back into competion. One because I love SuperSpeedways, two, its something else to build hype about, bit like the pole award in CART in 1998. If you won from pole you got 15,000 dollars and each race if it wasn't won the money just built up. Remember Dario Loosing it when in the lead with break fade, on what street circuit I can't remember.
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A TRIPLE crown might be interesting. But I'd do a speedway, a road course and a street course and they'd be Indy, LB and Laguna Seca. That way you reward diversity of driving skills and not the luck of surviving 3 oval races.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Canadian Triple Crown is dead.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Michigan, Indy and Fontana. Any triple crown needs to be on the super speedways. Maybe in the future , but ISC is a big hurdle to leap at Michigan and Fontana even for the IRL. No 1.5 milers.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    A TC is a good idea but I think that championship should have a second scoring system, and that only drivers who race in all three should be scored.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Triple Crown in USAC days for racing at Indy, Pocono and Ontario was awarded to the driver that scored the highest finish in all three events. Only Al Unser Sr. scored wins in all three back in 1978. The tracks for the Triple Crown should be 2.0 miles or greater and a distance of 500 miles. None of these 1.5 mile tracks or 500K events.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixent
    Triple Crown in USAC days for racing at Indy, Pocono and Ontario was awarded to the driver that scored the highest finish in all three events. Only Al Unser Sr. scored wins in all three back in 1978. The tracks for the Triple Crown should be 2.0 miles or greater and a distance of 500 miles. None of these 1.5 mile tracks or 500K events.

Agree!!
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the idea of a TC that rewards overall driving skills and reinforces the diversity of the events (one of the series' key differentiators). I would vote for basing it on highest average finish on the following track types
    street (Long Beach)
    superspeeday (Indy)
    short oval (in the spirit of the merger, I'm going with a short oval instead of a road course)

One question that needs to be asked is "When do you want to announce the triple crown winner?" If you include a short oval, Milwaukee is a great track, but it's just one week after Indy. If you want to stretch it out, then always end the season at a short oval (that's Chicagoland this year). That way you have some news, even if its one of those years when the championship is sewn up early.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champcarray
    I like the idea of a TC that rewards overall driving skills and reinforces the diversity of the events (one of the series' key differentiators). I would vote for basing it on highest average finish on the following track types
    street (Long Beach)
    superspeeday (Indy)
    short oval (in the spirit of the merger, I'm going with a short oval instead of a road course)

One question that needs to be asked is "When do you want to announce the triple crown winner?" If you include a short oval, Milwaukee is a great track, but it's just one week after Indy. If you want to stretch it out, then always end the season at a short oval (that's Chicagoland this year). That way you have some news, even if its one of those years when the championship is sewn up early.
    The Triple Crown winner was announced at the end of the last event in the Triple Crown. Having a mixed track configuration is not the Triple Crown. The reason Super Speedway 500 mile races were used they paid the most in points for a win and were the most difficult to complete. Just like the Winston Million in NASCAR it is hard to score wins in all events. The Triple Crown in any type of sport is something special and that is why it is difficult to achieve. The last major winners of Triple Crown events that people still talk about are Al Unser Sr. and Affirmed both won in 1978. At least Thoroughbred Racing still try's to achieve that goal every year not like the poor attempt that ChampCar did last year in Canada.
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great Post!

Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    Ok so now the merger is done and things are looking a little more rosey, what are the chances of a sponsor coming along to stump up a million dollars for the winner of the tripple crown.

Hopefully including Indy, Michigan, and California/Texas/Las Vegas. (I'm aware these tracks are not all being run right now).

I would love to see that brought back into competion. One because I love SuperSpeedways, two, its something else to build hype about, bit like the pole award in CART in 1998. If you won from pole you got 15,000 dollars and each race if it wasn't won the money just built up. Remember Dario Loosing it when in the lead with break fade, on what street circuit I can't remember.
    It would be GREAT if they would bring back the Triple Crown. I really enjoyed the 500 mile races, back when there were three. AND, it would be great to have them spaced out over the year. Indy, Michigan in July, and Fontana in September/October.
    Green, Green, Green!