Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Another conspiracy theory to add to the mix.

Holding Rally Australia in 2009 was always more beneficial to it's organisers, due to proper desired facilities becoming available.

Would this mean that Rally NZ would be amongst the first rallies forced to sit out the 2009 WRC season under the rotation system?

I wonder if it was advantageous to give Rally NZ a 2008 slot on their own, rather than the original back to back arrangement, all in order to sit out 2009.

No matter which way it goes, the WRC rotation system will only be ugly & create more damage than it will heal.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewireshock
    Another conspiracy theory to add to the mix.

Holding Rally Australia in 2009 was always more beneficial to it's organisers, due to proper desired facilities becoming available.

Would this mean that Rally NZ would be amongst the first rallies forced to sit out the 2009 WRC season under the rotation system?

I wonder if it was advantageous to give Rally NZ a 2008 slot on their own, rather than the original back to back arrangement, all in order to sit out 2009.

No matter which way it goes, the WRC rotation system will only be ugly & create more damage than it will heal.
    Or they just couldn't get their act together and get the event properly ready to run by 2008. I somehow doubt that in 2009 they're going to force out a proven event to let what is essentially a candidate event run. They will at the very least force them to run the event as a candidate event with all the facilities in place before giving it the green light. Those facilities will never get built for an event that will not be there year after year. Clearly the organisers bet on the wrong horse and have lost out.

Plenty of events run without big purpose built facilities. Why did they think they needed to be different?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Plenty of events run without big purpose built facilities. Why did they think they needed to be different?
    The simple answer is that members of the Rally Australia organisers own the new facility & it is the running of this venue that will pay for the rally. Self-sufficency in it's funding. There is no way government is going to fund the event & they wish to have independence to avoid a repeat of WA's shock withdrawal, caused by a government number cruncher.

And no it is not the WRC event that would be the big money spinner at the i-Mett motorsport complex but from the road racing. With a better quality circuit, it is expected to take over from the lacklusture Queensland Raceway's "paperclip". Hosting V8supercar racing & having nearly all Queensland based teams within 5km of the circuit, test days will be where the day to day revenue is sourced. It will have 8-lane freeway & direct rail access so spectator access is assured, alot better than getting to or from Willowbank.

Plus the theme park, industrial, college & other income streams. All to ensure that the WRC is funded. Owned by rally people for rally people. Plus that is why the purpose built rally stages & service park are being built, to show that rally is a fully fledged equal discipline Rally is not a side adjunct or poor cousin to our road racing brethren here.

So this should show why Rally Australia is integral to getting the motorsport complex built & why getting the motorsport complex is imperative to hosting Rally Australia well into the future.

I am not personally involved with i-Mett but I do have an interest in having Rally Australia arrrive in 2009 working with Kyogle Shire Council & Lismore City Council.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    At the end of they day they're no different to the government. If they don't get the return on the investment that they want and can make more money from having a kayak appreciation day they will. Having it as a commercial enterprise in no way ensures it's success. Plus then there's the fact that the FIA can host an event anywhere else in the world. This isn't V8 Stupidcars where there are only a few circuits and even less have facilities sufficient to support a race so there's not much choice. You can have a stage anywhere. Most people aren't arsed about a superspecial so just put it somewhere that already has facilities and spend money on getting a good route in place and preparing the roads well rather than creating good facilities that no one really needs or wants (I speak of the facilities for a superspecial). In Finland there were places where I couldn't buy food or take a leak in a toilet but I didn't care because it was organised well.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very dissapointed on reading the news of the postponing of the 2008 event. Had plans well under way to make a great weekend of rallying. Something that worries me though is the talk of the new facility needing to be built for the event to go ahead.As much as I would truely love to see this happen I can't really see it being done for several reasons not the least being the rate of growth and development in this prime development area.The Gold Coast and Brisbane are rapidly coming closer together and will eventually join and this proposed area will become prime residential real estate in my eyes with opportunities for a Sanctuary Cove type complex.Darlington Park was built well away from residential areas and was set to become a very good facility but was eventually overcome by stupid decisions from our goverments and that put it to bed unfortunately.With the Norwell complex basically straight across the highway and a lot closer to Moreton Bay I just can't see it happening but mind you I would love to be proven wrong.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WRC Kyogle NSW

Bugger! Australia needs more rally exposure, but with little or no local manufacturer's backing, and even less willpower behind the idea at CAMS, it looks like a trip to NZ for enthusiests...again.
    Count governence participation at any level out of the equasion - more hot air comes out of them than my exhaust!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfordatsun
    Bugger! Australia needs more rally exposure, but with little or no local manufacturer's backing, and even less willpower behind the idea at CAMS, it looks like a trip to NZ for enthusiests...again.
    Count governence participation at any level out of the equasion - more hot air comes out of them than my exhaust!
    Come to me oh yea children, for I see you at your play, and the thoughts that surround me have vanished quite away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got back from two weeks in the beautiful south east queensland and i'm now quite excited about rally aus being held there!!

I spent most of a week driving around in the area between Canungra, Beaudesert, Warwick, Rathdowney, Woodenbong and Killarney. i can now say that i am very in tune with the Mt Lindsay highway!!

But oh my goodness! driving those roads gave me a brilliant view of what the rally would look like.. (i was being paid to chase hang gliders around the countryside so i wasnt really sticking to tarmac roads) Part of that area looks almost like you'd expect a dinosaur to stomp out from behind the mountain! especially mount Lindsay! (although if i never see the road over the mountain ever again it will be too soon! have we ever heard of "resurfacing"?) None of the Bauxite balls that you see here on Perth dirt roads, the gravel was quite sharp actually..

Although, i do hope they stay away from places such as Woodenbong. it took me two hours to get there from Canungra and i tell you! that place is the biggest non-event i've ever seen!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Woodenbong? I love Australian place names.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's almost as bad as "Wonglepong", "Benobble" and "Biddaddaba". Which co-incidentally, are all on the way from Canungra to Woodenbong.