Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    Some fans will believe what they PREFER to believe, logic can't enter a closed mind ...
    if Teresa Earnhardt sabotaged Dale Jr's quest for the Chase it would actually hurt DEI ...
    if Dale Jr succeeded, DEI looked good to potential sponsors, otherwise a sponsor could look elsewhere ...
    with Dale Jr's 5 engine failures DEI looks like it has a problem, not a good image to a potential sponsor ...

I just can't believe Teresa would sabotage Dale Jr's engines, it makes no sense to me !
    For the reasons you outlined it makes no sense to me either, Stan.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    Do you think Terry Labonte was the better driver in 1996, than Jeff Gordon?
    I do. He won the championship, Jeff didn't. (It's the same logic others have used when Kurt Busch won it within the guidelines of the point system.)
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alexamateo
    Do you think Terry Labonte was the better driver in 1996, than Jeff Gordon?
    Yes, Terry Labonte was the best at being consistant in 1996.
    1 of the base facts of NASCAR : Consistancy Wins Championships.

This year, as before, the most consistant driver in the Chase will be the Champion.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yes, Terry Labonte was the best at being consistant in 1996.
    1 of the base facts of NASCAR : Consistancy Wins Championships.

This year, as before, the most consistant driver in the Chase will be the Champion.
    Would you rather have someone who's more consistent, or someone who's a winner as your champion?

The only difference between Terry and Jeff in 1996 was that when they had problems in a race and finished in the back of the pack Jeff was in the 30's and Terry was in the 20's. That's not consistency, that's luck. Again the system punishes a bad finish more than it rewards a good one.

PS this probably deserves it's own thread. WHen Nascar selected this in 1975, fields were not full (David Pearson was third in the Championship in 1974 despite only starting 19 races, for example) I think Nascar accomplished their goals, but I've been feeling it's been needing to be tweaked for several years now.

PSS I almost hope Boyer wins the thing without a win. That would make Nascar sit up and take notice.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    so what will happen if Jr. fails to make it next year, another chase expansion
    I wouldn't be too cocky about your boy. He barely made it in this year, and if Junior didn't have that wonderful DEI equipment under his hood, Havawreck wouldn't be in. :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    but guess what, Harvick is in, and Jooyyyyyyynerrrrrrrrrr is still out :

and look at all the Bad luck Harvick has had, he lost about 500 points from bad luck, and atleast over 300 from Juan-a-don't know how to drive
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

so what will happen if Jr. fails to make it next year, another chase expansion
    The big question. Does Jr. have it or not. Next year he will be with the best team and the best equipment. The pressure will be on him to produce. Only time will tell and I wish him well. Boy it would be nice if he could push the 2 Js back to #2 and #3 in that high powered stable.
    :dork: 1 of Original 100 Members

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation

I agree Old3Fan, if Dale Jr doesn't perform in a Hendrick car, he will prove his critics right.
    2008 ESPN Stockcar Challenge MSF Champion :D
    2007 Yahoo! Boogity Boogity Boogity Champion :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree Old3Fan, if Dale Jr doesn't perform in a Hendrick car, he will prove his critics right.
    Yes, but at least he'll look good in that No. 88!
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    well the goal in racing is to finish, Jr. has failed to do so 6 times, consistency wins over (win or DNF)

2003 is a prime example, Kenseth won 1 race and the Winston Cup Championship, Newman had what 8 wins, but had about the same DNF's.

if you want a win to determine a championship, go watch F1
    There are times, when I wonder about you....

The goal of racing isn't to finish, it is to BEAT everyone and WIN the damned RACE. That is the goal, and if you ask any of these guys if there was no points on the line, would they be happy with anything less than winning, I am sure not ONE of them would say "I would take a good 10th over wrecking fighting for the lead". They all want to win, so stop the spurious spreading of Bovine excerment on the goal of racing is to just finish.

NASCAR's point system doesn't reward guys who push hard to win race after race and have motors blow or people wreck them. It rewards guys who are fast, but not risking it all. The fact that many champions are also winning a lot of races is because of the quality of their teams, and over a 36 race sched, the quality teams with drivers will win their share of racing. The fact is DEI has not been able to put Jr. in a car that he can depend on enough to get him to the chase. Even when they dropped down to a more conservative motors setup at Richmond, Jr. blew up in the final laps while fighting to gain every spot he could.

Jr was NOT sabotaged, but for whatever reason, he had 6 DNF's due to bad motors this season. That is why he isn't in the chase, and it is likely why he hasn't won a race in a year.

At Hendricks, all excuses are gone. I know Jr. isn't going to be his dad, but that is fine, he isn't like his dad. The guy is real, he has a decent sense of humour about him, he doens't take himself seriously, he owns up and is a man when things go south and he screws up and he busts his @ss every week to do the best he can, regardless of the off the track BS. JR. may never be the best driver in NASCAR, but he is the most likeable, and likely the guy most like us working schmucks out there, and that is a tribute to his dad, who made sure the kid was taught about life in the manner he was taught. That is, you earn what you get. I think regardless to where he finishes this year, he has taken the highroad more than once in his feud with Theresa and doens't think DEI was sabotaging him. Bad racing luck hits sometimes, and you just roll with it. Good luck to Truex as the team leader at DEI now.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".