View Poll Results: If the McLaren and Ferrari drivers were exchanged, would Ferrari be leading?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 29.11%
  • No

48 60.76%
  • Don't Know

8 10.13%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: car vs driver

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres
    Wedge

I didn't ignore what happened in those races, I quoted the statistics for all the races. I didn't just cherry pick to use the ones that suited my arguement but was objective.

Its obvious that cars will perform differently at different circuits and where one may excel at a bumpy twisty circuit, another may like a fast smooth track but 8 races is enough to get a good comparison of the two cars and you have to say they look pretty close. Statistically they both have the same wins and poles with Ferrari having the edge by nearly 2:1 on fastest laps in the race.

With the impression that the Ferrari looks the quicker car on paper, what is the difference in the race. You can argu it is the teams, or the drivers but what you cant do is say that its because the McLaren is the fastest car because obviously it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    You have pre-determined the basis of your whole argument already. Your basis is as follows: "if McLaren is fastest at any given track, it is because the team and the drivers did a good job, but when Ferrari is the fastest, it is because they have the fastest car, always"
    The statistics obviously show the McLarens are very competitive in qualy one lap trim, but not long runs.

Fastest lap stats aren't always reliable. Indy, for example, the laps are very very close. All it takes is a good tow on the main straight to lower your lap times.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's hillarious to hear Martin "Bigot" Brundle go on about how this should be settled on the race track instead of in the courts. LOL. I guess Mclaren should have thought about that before poisoning the well before battle, eh?

It's looking to me like Mclaren is in deep. Before the start of the season they were asking specific questions about rules clarifications, these questions were related to certain pointed at what might have been specific parts of the ferrari and its design.

Spells baaaaaad. I can't say Mclaren and the general British fan base does not deserve it, however. Karma is a bitch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    The statistics obviously show the McLarens are very competitive in qualy one lap trim, but not long runs.

Fastest lap stats aren't always reliable. Indy, for example, the laps are very very close. All it takes is a good tow on the main straight to lower your lap times.
    the statistics show that both cars are pretty close in one lap trim but statistics are just that.

driving errors have made quite a difference between the cars this year with the 2 Ferrari boys making mistakes that have counted. Freddy has also made a few but pretty much got away with it compared to Kimi and Massa. Lewis has been pretty consistent but if you want to class his set up as a driver error, then he has lost 4 points also this year that I can think of.

i dont, as Gary suggests, consider it to be the McLaren boys doing a great job when it goes well and the Ferrari being the faster car when they do well. what I suggested is that the cars are very comparable with Ferrari having statistically the slightly faster car and theorised that the McLaren drivers and teams were making the difference in points. I believe that Gary claimed it was because McLaren had the better car leading to the points difference which is what I disagree with.
    Justice is blind but doesn't have to be stupid.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres
    I believe that Gary claimed it was because McLaren had the better car leading to the points difference which is what I disagree with.
    That was because McLaren did have the better car. As I and Garry have previously mentioned countless times, the McLarens has superior mechanical grip whereas the Ferrari has works better in high downforce, high speed circuits.

The McLarens were the cars to beat in Monaco, Canada and Indy.

On paper I can easily say Nurburgring is likely to favour Ferrari and Hungaroring is likely to favour McLaren - testing and component updates pending, of course!

Alonso made a significant error in Canada. He compromised his starts for track position, went off and damaged his car in the process and went backwards eg. being overtaken by a Super Aguri!