Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do some Busch teams just 'start and park'

Has anyone noticed this year in the Busch Series some of the backmarkers have just started the race then parked it after just a few laps. Morgan Shepherd and Justin Ashburn in particular has been a culprit of it this year.

How come they do this.
    I solumly swear I'm up to no good :devil:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They can still do that AND get pd., I think. Anyone else know?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaikkonenRules
    Has anyone noticed this year in the Busch Series some of the backmarkers have just started the race then parked it after just a few laps. Morgan Shepherd and Justin Ashburn in particular has been a culprit of it this year.

How come they do this.
    Could be a couple of reasons. Most likely they are field fillers and the return on investment to get in to the field goes farther if you don't wear out equipment doing it. Busch only pays about $15-20k for the back. Some cars might want to run the whole race but are too slow to be safe, so Nascar parks them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have never noticed this practice, but I will watch for it from now on. I would suspect that minimum money is enough to pay the bills and make a tidy living if you don't stress the equipment too badly. I would suspect that ARCA or Hooters Pro, or even truck pays less than that for the win
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The slogan among drag racers is that it pays more to start a NASCAR race and finish last than it does to win a NHRA race.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    This happens the same way it used to back when NASCAR was struggling to get 43 cars. About 5 cars were filled with guys near retirment, or independents like Kirk Shermeldine who would never get a bigger payday than just making a NASCAR race. With what tires cost, and what damage will run ya, it is better to finish at the back. IF Busch was a healthier series for car count, these guys woudn't be there. When there are 6 cars going home every week for not making a race, the competition to stayout of lap is a LOT tougher...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Teams sometimes bring out a backup car when the field won't be full otherwise. They buy a set of tires to qualify and start the race on. They use a set of tires for practice that their primary entry has already used or they buy one set of practice tires. They start the race, run a hand full of laps and park. The last place monies isn't great but it's a little extra. Usually the start and park teams don't have high paying sponsors on their primary cars and the little bit that can be made with a S&P car could pay crew salaries for the week or pay for a couple of sets of tires. Something insignificant to the bigger, high dollar teams. The Series ends up with more S&P teams after there is an influx of Buschwackers because some of the "real deal" Busch teams end up closing up the doors.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCARWidow
    Teams sometimes bring out a backup car when the field won't be full otherwise. They buy a set of tires to qualify and start the race on. They use a set of tires for practice that their primary entry has already used or they buy one set of practice tires. They start the race, run a hand full of laps and park. The last place monies isn't great but it's a little extra. Usually the start and park teams don't have high paying sponsors on their primary cars and the little bit that can be made with a S&P car could pay crew salaries for the week or pay for a couple of sets of tires. Something insignificant to the bigger, high dollar teams. The Series ends up with more S&P teams after there is an influx of Buschwackers because some of the "real deal" Busch teams end up closing up the doors.
    That's illegal. Teams only get six sets from Goodyear from the time they check into the door until the end of the race. You cannot get a "start and park" team's tires. You must return all tires once you are out of the race.
    In Christ,
    Bobby

Deuteronomy 31:6-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC
    That's illegal. Teams only get six sets from Goodyear from the time they check into the door until the end of the race. You cannot get a "start and park" team's tires. You must return all tires once you are out of the race.
    Is it illegal now? I didn't think Nascar cared if teams traded amongst themselves as long as all the tires got turned in at the end of the weekend. At least that was how it used to be and I don't think it's been reported on any different. If still being done that way, it would make most sense to buy all the tires they can and trade off four sets to the top teams for things.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe they put the car numbers on the wheels. I'm not sure if it's the teams, Goodyear, or NASCAR doing that, but if it's not the teams, then I'm not sure it's legal.

NASCAR stopped letting teams buy tires when they decided that tires could be used as leverage in testing.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd