Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 - Monaco

Liked 188 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I don't think the FIA would stand for that kind of behavior. This could be very bad for F1 if this is shown to be true. Bernie Ecclestone is probably laughing is head off whereever he is. :-)
    Maffei has said that wasn't the conversation. So, there are two sides to this story.

Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I know Monaco means a lot to this sport but it is a terrible race and always has been unless there is rain.
    I think the current cars are too wide, which makes overtaking very tricky on street circuits like Monaco. Also, the Red Flag sort of neutralized the race, l thought. After the restart,m it quickly became a procession, didn't it?
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 686 Times in 481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Dodgy Mercedes messing with Hamilton's qualifying. I think the Mercedes W15b in Hamilton's hand was good enough to challenge for the front row. At least the top 4 positions. It's 2016 all over again!
    Any conspiracy theories should require at least enough information so that people understand what you are claiming.

The usual snoozefest, and short of the commentary trying to speculate when those strategy moves would comes, it would have been really easy to fall asleep.

As for the start mess, it was exactly that. Sergios car is toast. I haven't watched all angles in depth yet but it seemed to me that it was one of those "he will back out first" moments on the part of both Sergio and Kevin. In either case, some trashed hardware is the result, and it's not like they were racing for points, even though both acted as if they were already going for a podium spot.

Sainz got really lucky on that one, and being back on the grid in qually positions must have been a huge relief. But other than the ebb and flow of the gaps, nothing exciting to watch. I'm still not quite sure what Merc were thinking on George, playing hard with that gap maybe hoping to bait RB/Max to dive to the pits early? And then screwing it up when they did pit Lewis, not being sure if they should tell him to crush the out lap or not. But in either case, fresh tires didn't help either him or Max, and in the end it was just a game of who could go slow and protect. At a couple points it did look like Carlos or Lando might get close enough for a lunge, but then it never happened.

At least Stroll did make a couple passes after the first pit window strategy went to crap.

Though hardly exciting to watch most of the time, Yuki, Alex, and Pierre did well to stick them in the points and make it count. Being a lap down but scoring points is better than being a lap down with no points.

And the curse has finally been broken for Charles. Complete control of the race, probably easier with the pace but still pressure to not get it wrong at some point. I think all the front runners did a good job of soaking up any potential threats, and it was great to see Charles pull a gap toward the end of the race. Not the most exciting race for sure, but a win at Monaco is big even for those that don't live there. And being from Monaco it will no doubt be a day that Leclerc doesn't forget any time soon.
    Last edited by airshifter; 27th May 2024 at 04:43.

4. Likes: Bagwan (27th May 2024)
    Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
    I actually found this particular Monaco quite enjoyable with the end result actually being special for an entire country. It was a good race.

More than half of the race had a handful of seconds between the top 4. The slightest misjudgement would have ended their weekend but they never let up in their pursuit of the prize. LeClerc must have been under the greatest stress of his life. Marvelous stuff.

Stroll had a flat tyre through brushing a barrier and showed how knife edge this race really was. The tension in the last 10 or so laps was immense.

They must have been mentally exhausted by the end and showed why this is the greatest race on the F1 calendar.

6. Likes: Bagwan (27th May 2024)
    Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    I actually found this particular Monaco quite enjoyable with the end result actually being special for an entire country. It was a good race.

More than half of the race had a handful of seconds between the top 4. The slightest misjudgement would have ended their weekend but they never let up in their pursuit of the prize. LeClerc must have been under the greatest stress of his life. Marvelous stuff.

Stroll had a flat tyre through brushing a barrier and showed how knife edge this race really was. The tension in the last 10 or so laps was immense.

They must have been mentally exhausted by the end and showed why this is the greatest race on the F1 calendar.
    Quite!
    Ocon showed why he is not in a Mercedes seat. Magnussen showed his F1 days is numbered. Perez is not looking great at the moment either. The 2026 cars woulD race better in Monaco l think.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 795 Times in 588 Posts

I completely agree .

The only issue I saw was that they chose a much too durable combination of tire selection for this one , as even the mediums were good enough to make it to the end of the race without a change from the second lap .
    That said , we didn't know it until the race was done , so the drama was still there .

By the way , did everyone notice that Max made up 0.0 positions after starting from a grid position 5 positions lower than his usual grid spot ?
    And , Sergio , poor Sergio , finished up with 0.0 points , and a bill for 2 or 3 million bucks .
    Newey must have seen the commercials , too .

Liked 188 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

By the way , did everyone notice that Max made up 0.0 positions after starting from a grid position 5 positions lower than his usual grid spot ?
    Maybe Max has matured and just decided the risks where just not worth it. Or maybe he is not very motivated?

There are rumors of Ocon looking to go to Haas...that makes me laugh.

The ground level view with photographers near the Perez crash was crazy.

https://twitter.com/matthewkanniah/s...e-monaco-crash

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    The ground level view with photographers near the Perez crash was crazy.[/url]
    There were a number of times in my corner working days when I had to remove photogs from really dumb places. The street courses not only offer a chance to get hit by a car, but car parts and very hot liquids coming through the fences can do damage of their own.

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    While I realize that the history of Monaco is great, it has been a long while since the place was actually raceable by the likes of F1 cars.

Liked 650 Times in 514 Posts
    G'day mate, or Bungiuno?

I guess a good day for both countries. I actually found it rather compelling near the end as Max, and to a lesser degree Osc' made a push for an overtake. 'los (Bon dia) super lucked out with the red flag.
    Oc' (bonjour) gets Maldonado (Che) award for his move on Gas' (Ça fait longtemps, dis donc).I think he has earned a race on the bench. Give Jack (F*ck me dead) the seat for Canada....Eh!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tazio; 27th May 2024 at 23:27.
    May the forza be with you

13. Likes: Bagwan (28th May 2024)