Threaded View

Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    The best racing drivers in a very niche aspect of motorsport that probably excludes a very large percentage of people from ever trying it due to the amount of both time and money required by a family to get a person even started in the sport. Even then, pay drivers and money backing plays a huge role for many of them if their talents are noticed at all.

As for danger, a lot of lower level motorsports, jobs, even commutes, and daily live is just as dangerous for many people. It's no longer the 60's or 70's and F1 cars are among the safest racing cars made.

They are ordinary people who got fortunate enough to do something like this for a living. They aren't superhuman, exceptionally brave, or as talented as some make them to be. They are just the ones that made it to an exclusive sport.

If you want to worship them as gods feel free. I don't.
    When l say you don't get it, you prove me right every time. F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing, or at least that is what the FIA and the F1M are aspiring to achieve. I would accept that they are yet to properly realize this aspiration, particularly because the career paths from various lower formulas are not ending up in F1, the absence of diversity in drivers and teams and the absence of women drivers in F1.

It is however the perceived pinnacle of the sport with a very limited number of seats in ten teams. This exclusivity is what makes the formula a special category of motor racing. If we go by your statement above, we would need a huge amount of cars to satisfy your perspective, and the racing would be ridiculous at best. I think if F1 can get up to 15 teams on the grid, it would provide more chances for more talent from more formulas to enter F1. The grid would be crowded on short tracks and some street tracks but necessary.

Appreciation is not worshipping, l get you can't tell the difference. That's ok!
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 31st March 2023 at 10:55.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare