Ferrari to investigate Red Bull pace deficit after discovering weakness.
Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has vowed to investigate the reason behind the Scuderia's sudden race-pace deficit to Red Bull which has resulted in the hoped-for F1 title challenge slipping through its fingers.
Wednesday 21 September 2022 07:00
Ian Parkes

Asked as to where Ferrari had gone wrong with its development compared to Red Bull, Binotto said: “In the last few races, the performance of the Red Bull has been better than ours. Not in qualifying, because in quali we still have good pace, so we can see the pure performance is still there.”

“But then in the race pace, we are suffering tyre degradation and in that respect, the Red Bull is a better car. They have been capable of developing their car for a better balance but certainly as well, for a better car in terms of tyre degradation that we haven’t.”

Suggested to Binotto Red Bull had also made gains in weight saving with its RB18 compared to Ferrari with its F1-75, which for both teams has proven problematic his year, Binotto was sceptical. He added: "I don’t know what they are doing, where they are with the weight. I can only see what I read on the internet and not much more than that, so the comparison is certainly not the right comparison.”

‘Ferrari to investigate Red Bull pace deficit’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/91...tion-weakness/

Mattia Binotto gives Red Bull weight assessment
Red Bull are running away with the 2022 titles.
21 September 2022
by James Clifford

Ferrari team principal, Mattia Binotto, has conceded that he is not entirely sure what Red Bull have been doing to improve their performance, or save weight. The cars are heavier than ever this year, with the minimum weight set at 798kg due to the reintroduced ground effect aerodynamics under the new technical regulations.

“They have been capable of developing their car for a better balance but certainly as well, for a better car in terms of tyre degradation that we haven’t. The reason is something we are looking at because we need to address it, if not for this season then certainly for the next.”

It is difficult to emulate the success of your rivals when you do not actually know what they are doing, and Ferrari are not sure whether Red Bull have made minimum weight yet, or whether they are still getting there.

‘Difficult to emulate the success of your rivals’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/mattia-bi...ht-assessment/

Carlos Sainz begs Ferrari to "be more like Red Bull" in 2023 and hails Max Verstappen.
Ferrari have had a car fast enough this year to challenge Red Bull and should have created a close title race, but reliability woes and strategy errors have allowed their rivals to run away with it.
22:52, 20 Sep 2022
By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer

Ferrari "have to learn" from Red Bull this year in order to challenge them more convincingly next season, Carlos Sainz has declared. The Italian team started the 2022 season strongest, with a one-two finish in Bahrain. Charles Leclerc followed that up with victory in Australia to make it two wins from three, while Max Verstappen suffered some early-season reliability problems.

"I would like to have a steady end to the season, especially with the amount of things that have happened to us this year," he told Mundo Deportivo . "I would like to have a quiet last part of the season, with less things happening to us and to be able to get into a rhythm for next year, which will be a new opportunity."

In order to make the most of that chance, Sainz believes Ferrari have the perfect example to follow – that of Red Bull, who have shown them how it is done with their control of the championship this season. "We have a solid base from this year with a very good car and the team is making progress," the Spaniard added.

‘Carlos Sainz: "Be more like Red Bull"!’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...appen-28041656

Inside Ferrari’s 133-point disaster as brutal blunders put F1 boss firmly in the firing line
September 21st, 2022 1:45 pm
Michael Lamonato from Fox Sports

Max Verstappen is on the cusp of claiming a second drivers championship with surprising ease, and Red Bull Racing will return to constructors title glory for the first time in almost a decade. With six races still to run, these are the cold, hard facts of what’s become an unexpectedly one-sided season. Those facts also state unequivocally that Ferrari has let them off the hook.

Elkann’s tenure at the head of Ferrari has been characterised by relative serenity compared to past leaders, who have often preferred to insert themselves into the running of the team — and this is despite the last two years of turmoil before the 2022 breakthrough. But with the full support of the board issued, the screws are now being gently turned. This butchered championship campaign must surely be the first and last of Ferrari’s missed opportunities.

THE PRESIDENT’S CHALLENGE: “Our first goal was to be competitive,” Elkann said. “If you are not, then you have nowhere to go, whereas you can always work on reliability. “That’s why I believe that before 2026 Ferrari will once again win the constructors and drivers titles, with Charles Leclerc in pole position. We are lucky to have two great drivers, probably the strongest pairing in Formula 1.”

‘With the full support of the board issued, the screws are now being gently turned’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...5a5065e00f5e9e

Ferrari employees are ‘terrified of reprisals’
Ferrari are 139 points behind Red Bull in the Constructors' Championship with six races of 2022 remaining.
20 September 2022
by Nick Golding

Former McLaren employee turned broadcaster Marc Priestley simply believes that Ferrari aren’t ready to win the title, something they haven’t done in over a decade. “I don’t want to say Ferrari have stumbled across a great car because they haven’t,” Priestley told the Pit Stop podcast.

“They have built a fantastic car, the best car on many occasions this year, but they don’t have all the ingredients. They don’t have…I suspect and I know this to some extent, a lot of people I know work or have worked at Ferrari, and it feels like the culture isn’t right. You see it in races, you see it when they are a little bit hesitant on the [team] radio. A team like Red Bull or Mercedes, it feels like the people in that team have the freedom to make a decision that might be a little bit out there, a little bit outside the box, might be a risk.”

“But everybody’s trusted to just make that and if it goes wrong, that’s fine, you took the risk. You pay the price, but you learn from the mistake and all that. I think at Ferrari, if they take a risk, if anyone’s going to take a risky decision, they are terrified of the reprisals that are going to come from that.”

‘Terrified Of Reprisals’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-e...-of-reprisals/