I haven't watched the series yet, but I have Netflix so thanks for the recommendation.

In general, it's hard to enjoy racing of any kind when you don't know the back story. A lot of people who haven't seen Formula 1 racing before (and most other racing), expect some kind of bangs and fireballs, with cars rubbing tires, going two or three wide into every corner, and overtaking the whole time. But what they see is usually a fairly technical and strategic race that's looks more like a game of chess or football, where the energy and the strategy of the entire match is meant to score just one goal (one critical overtake in F1) that delivers the win.

I feel like one third of the race outcome is determined by the qualifying session on Saturday. So watching qualifying, specially the third Q3 session which determines the starting order of the first 10 cars is also critical.

Of course, there is also the important component involving rivalries between the leading drivers and teams. The main theme this season will be whether Ferrari, who hasn't won a championship since 2008, or Red Bull will be able to dethrone Mercedes who has now won five championships in a row. The rivalry between Hamilton and Vettel is also very good. Vettel desperately needs to get even with Hamilton this season.