Threaded View

Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I think he should have been aiming for first. I'm not really a big Bottas fan, but I think all F1 drivers would be aiming for first. I am curious though, why you think Bottas should have been at least third to be respectable, seeing as you've been saying all year that Ferrari have the fastest/best car?
    My thinking is simple, he should be the first of the drivers out of contention for the title. He should be aiming to be ahead of Kimi and giving Vettel a fight for 2nd place to be a credible Mercedes 2nd driver. That would at least convey an argument that he was good enough to fight for the title if he did not have some bad luck . As it goes, he doesn't remotely look like a championship material but a great support driver. And not so great one if 2018 is anything to go by.

You have to look at Alonso in a crappy Mclaren to see what a championship material look like. Even with a poor car, he drives as if he is contesting for the title. The same can be said for Ricciado, Verstapenn, Leclerc, Magnussen, Gasly or Ocon. These guys have cars that are not good enough to win the championship but they drive the wheels of those cars like their life depended on it.

I really cannot say the same for Bottas in the 2nd half of the season. At some races he was just doing enough but not really trying; if he qualified behind Hamilton. We respect drivers that archive more than their circumstance limits them to archive. A reason why Alonso is a legend and highly respected. The same reason why we think Verstapenn is a potential world champion.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th November 2018 at 14:19.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare