Page 12 of 94 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales Rally GB

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Does Mexico still have that ridiculous liaison where they put the cars on transporters to get from the Thursday night stage to Friday morning first stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Does Mexico still have that ridiculous liaison where they put the cars on transporters to get from the Thursday night stage to Friday morning first stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, it was only in 2017. And it was only because VW dropped the sponsorship of the rally at the last minute so they needed Mexico City as an alternate financial backer. This year they didn't have to do it anymore.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    The organisers can't win really. They got complaints in the previous years that the service park was under utilised for teams/guests etc. Sadly that's a modern consideration of rallying. They are soulless places really I spend as little time at the GB one as possible.
    Service parks and super specials - they are not made for us who are so deep in the sport that we spend our free time talking on an internet forum about it. But these things are still important to the financial side of the rally, whether we like it or not.

4. Likes: Allez Andruet (3rd October 2018),CWJ (3rd October 2018),itix (4th October 2018),janvanvurpa (3rd October 2018),pantealex (3rd October 2018),Tauri_J (3rd October 2018),WRC1 (3rd October 2018)
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    Guys, been years since I've been to RGB. One of my kids is heading over with friends so need some advice.
    Is it possible to watch the rally without going to the spectator stages? Nothing to do with money but is it possible to park in a lay-by for instance and make your own way to a stage? It's just something we've always done at rallies and I guess he wants to continue doing it. Or if you use an official car park can you wander away from designated areas?
    TIA.
    Need a bit more help please.
    The boy is heading down to Wales Thurs night with 3 friends. Just found out they've hired a motorhome, great for sleeping, not so good for travelling between stages. Anyway he's asked me if they have to use official car parks etc how many stages can they expect to see out of the 7/8 on Fri/Sat? I'm assuming they won't be trapped in once in a viewing area. Obviously leaving the stage after 20 cars or so (if they decide to do that). Would they get 3 in considering traffic etc?

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Need a bit more help please.
    The boy is heading down to Wales Thurs night with 3 friends. Just found out they've hired a motorhome, great for sleeping, not so good for travelling between stages. Anyway he's asked me if they have to use official car parks etc how many stages can they expect to see out of the 7/8 on Fri/Sat? I'm assuming they won't be trapped in once in a viewing area. Obviously leaving the stage after 20 cars or so (if they decide to do that). Would they get 3 in considering traffic etc?
    It's going to be tricky, but I guess it depends on ho many spectators are going to watch this year (it was rammed last year).

I'm planning on doing a bit of stage hopping, but I'm going to judge it when I get there I guess.

If you can get me your email, I will send you the miles-between-stages plan I have done and show you what may work as options on Friday and Saturday.

7. Likes: noel157 (3rd October 2018)
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
    I remember this happened in Argentina one year (2011?), when they had a SSS in Buenos Aires Thursday night (which is ~700Km far from Cordoba) and they had to cancel all the friday morning stages as the cars did not arrive in time to get properly serviced and to the crews to leave SP. I remember being there and seeing the trucks arriving with the cars in the morning...

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    It also happened in Mexico last year.

Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    so shakedown tomorrow...very crucial rally for all the championship contenders, maybe not so much for Neuville but if Tänak or Ogier doesnt do well and Neuville does then it will be very hard for them with just 2 rounds left.

I remember that last year Toyota struggled and Tänak, Ogier also did on Saturday when it was really polished and slippy, they just couldnt get the grip.

Ogier is the favourite for me with his great record here and good starting position. Interesting to watch Evans now that he has the same tyre as everyone but i dont expect any miracles from him.

Maybe Mikkelsen can surprise this time?
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

11. Likes: AnttiL (3rd October 2018)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Just found out they've hired a motorhome, great for sleeping, not so good for travelling between stages. Anyway he's asked me if they have to use official car parks etc how many stages can they expect to see out of the 7/8 on Fri/Sat? I'm assuming they won't be trapped in once in a viewing area. Would they get 3 in considering traffic etc?
    I think three is theoretically doable on Friday, but I really wouldn't want to try it in a motor home. Getting out of one full car park early (presumably from the top of the car park) and arriving at another late can be a bit dicey even in a small car.

The official spectator areas all allow access back to the car park at any time, as far as I know. Some having marshalled stage crossing points to allow this. Just got to get around all the spectators.

Nearly there now folks. Looks like we might just get a bit of rain or drizzle in the morning. BBC maps showing a little blue blob just over Llyn Brenig, special order!

13. Likes: noel157 (3rd October 2018)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    The organisers can't win really. They got complaints in the previous years that the service park was under utilised for teams/guests etc. Sadly that's a modern consideration of rallying. They are soulless places really I spend as little time at the GB one as possible.
    I dont mind the SP at all and quite enjoy the atmosphere. I'll be calling there this year as there's an access tour for M-Sport Supporter's.

But I just think the route could've been better organised so as not to require a 100km drive back to service from the furthest point on Friday.
    #M-SPORTER