Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartijnS View Post
    Portugal is a really bad rally, if you don't want to be in the spectator zones. Tom is right about that, we went there once and never be back probably.
    It is true that the organization tries that everyone stay in the official areas, but just to avoid problems with security. But as I said, this is not a problem because there is several areas prepared by the organization in every SS, all very different from each other, with all that you need and more.
    I see no problem staying in spectator zones, if they are different, spectacular, large and with good conditions, which is definitely the case of Portugal. As a matter of fact, in relation to spectator zones, Portugal should be one of the best events in whole championship.
    Last edited by Teardrop; 2nd March 2015 at 23:34.

Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    If you are hardcore rally lover then spectator zones are usually bullshit.finland is an exception since almost everywhere is at least good.
    Last edited by nafpaktos; 3rd March 2015 at 02:03.
    fb page
    bring back acropolis rally to wrc calendar

3. Likes: tommeke_B (3rd March 2015)
    Liked 979 Times in 340 Posts
    In Finland you won't be shot if you leave them!

Liked 128 Times in 34 Posts
    That's good, because I'm also going to visit Finland this year
    http://patrik-pangerl.com
    World Rally Photography since 2005

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Unfortunately this year it will be worse, as the authorities expect much larger crowds.

Anyway in a way I undestand, they have tried throughout the years to give more liberty specially to media, and what happens? Two accidents involving photographers in dangerous places.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nafpaktos View Post
    If you are hardcore rally lover then spectator zones are usually bullshit.finland is an exception since almost everywhere is at least good.
    Like someone said before, the majority of spectator zones in the south of Portugal were great, and anyone could previously chose them on the rally guide videos.

I'm also a hardcore rally fan and it was a bit difficult accepting to be restrained in a box, but I understand the organizers security concern. A major event like this attracts a lot of silly people that simply don't know how to behave.

MartijnS, you can come to Portugal without fear...shooting season has ended on 1st of March!-)
    Rally addict since 1982

8. Likes: MartijnS (3rd March 2015)
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    It is true that there was some organization's obsession with security, for example, keep the largest possible number of people in spectators zones. But all this was due to serious safety problems that happened in the 80's and 90's. Every year the organization becomes increasingly more relaxed about it. We may not have liked much of this attitude, but the truth is that the Rally of Portugal does not have any major problems with security, which is almost a rarity in the entire championship. That said, I think this conversation has been exaggerated from the start. In recent years everyone could go to other locations outside the spectators zone. The only thing that could happen were worse access roads and/or prohibited access due the landowners. Do not worry that no one takes shots because of that or go to jail . But this year with the move to north, the paradigm will change a little bit... much larger crowds means more flexibility and not the opposite. It seems a paradox, but the organization have no choice...they will have to allow public in other areas and expected that they will behave well. The re-education of security that has been made in recent years will be put into practice now. This will be the biggest test, so there are also risks associated with this change of location to the north. But I believe that everything will go well.
    Don't hesitate, if you want to see real passion for rallying, a great party everywhere and massive crowds around all the areas, you must come here and see with your own eyes...
    To prove my theory, you will see the amount of people who will be present to see the tests from the official teams that should happen in the coming weeks to prepare the rally.
    The expectation and excitement are huge, for sure it will be a memorable weekend. Otherwise, you will be very regret when you see the footage on TV ... Believe me, you will see crowds that you never seen before...or at least for many years.
    Last edited by Teardrop; 3rd March 2015 at 12:13.

Liked 64 Times in 39 Posts
    We expect that to happen. However I have some doubts that a greater number of public means greater flexibility in security and I think even if it will be a fatal mistake for the organizers of the rally of Portugal.

Liked 47 Times in 25 Posts
    Marão stage before the works (without rail trails and improvement of the road):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CufGN2sg5rk

Some parts of Viana do Castelo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGoZFaslhs#t=849

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    From italy:

Bertelli - Fiesta WRC
    Rendina - Lancer EVO X
    Vallario - Lancer EVO X
    Bresolin - Fiesta R5
    Brazzoli - Subaru STi
    Linari - Subaru STi
    Tempestini - Citroën DS3 R3T