Yesterdays Indy 500 was shaping up to be a classic...and then there was a caution. I am all for them ending these caution ending races. something needs to be done, because this league is already struggling with ratings. I also think that the current specs are way too low tech, way too slow and way too much drag. 228 mph qualifying laps should have been over with 20 years ago. With improvements in safety equipment and protection during impact, I see no reason why 240 plus mph laps at indy is unsafe. I do think the downforce levels are decent, but the cars have too much drag causing top speeds on super-speedways like Indy to suffer. The cars couldnt even crack 230 mph going down the front and back straights without a massive tow. I remember when the cars from cart racing in the 90's did over 250 mph on super-speedways like michigan and fontana. The current engines are underpowered also. They should be at least 850 horsepower or more on both road and ovals. I think the current setup of chassis and engine is taking away from driver skill. With a high downforce, but high drag and under powered engines, the cars are to easy to drive flat-out. Will power was doing laps at yesterday indy 500 without lifting off the throttle...where is the skill in that? I think the blue print of success would mirror more the specs of the cart cars of the late 90's with the aerodynamic philosophy of the panoz DP01 car...which was creating more downforce from the under body of the car, creating less dependence on front and rear wings for downforce. This would allow for less turbulant air when behind another car. Less drag would allow for much higher top speeds and much faster lap times...drivers would actually have to lift at Indy, which would lessen pack racing. More powerful engines and a more flexible regulations for tuning them would really allow the best drivers and teams to shine. After all it was this current spec indy cars which make pack racing common that killed dan wheldon at the las vegas speedway. Unfortunately I doubt these issues will be addressed and I dont see this series drawing new fans in anytime soon.