Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
That is why I like watching Alonso, Hamilton and Kimi.
Didn't you like Vettel's pole lap yesterday? It was a splendid lap. That's why I meant by appreciating impressive driving skills.

Endless downplaying of someone's skills will lead to nowhere in the end. Especially if the reality keeps proving otherwise year-after-year. Mind you, I had doubts whether Vettel has got what it takes to be a top driver. It was in 2010, when he was making mistakes. But since the embarrassment of Spa 2010 he has been a different driver. His worst race performance since then has been 4th at the Nürburgring in 2011. And this is now over a period of more than two years. So on average his standard and consistency has been extremely high since then.

And not least, Vettel has been an inspiration for myself as well. In both 2010 and 2012 I wrote him off in the title race after 2/3rds of the season. But he fought back and delivered, needing a perfect end to the season. This is what is inspirational. You keep up the mentality even if the odds are against you. You still come back and get things done. Impressive.

Also I like the way he has been improving each year and working on his weaknesses. Not long ago there were suggestions Vettel can't overtake. Hardly an adequate criticism any longer. The endless drive for perfection that so much described Schumacher himself.

With these Vettel discussions I am having flashbacks in time by 10 years ago, when there were suggestions that the unsporting Schumacher was winning only due to superior car and Räikkönen and Montoya would beat him in similar equipment. This, what I am reading now, all sounds so similar to what was then. But it doesn't matter. I know Vettel can deliver and will keep doing it as long as he remains motivated and in good form.