I was watching one of the Speed NASCAR shows this morning and they announced that Bristol's TV numbers were down 15% from last year. This one I'm having a hard time understanding or explaining. One of the guys (Kenny Wallace) claimed it had to do with March Madness. Another claimed it was because there are so many more things on TV these days. That's all well and good, but the logic doesn't play out. We're talking about the TV numbers from LAST year, not 30 years ago. With each passing year, there's always more on TV. As far as the March Madness argument... uh, I don't follow basketball that much any more, but I'm pretty sure that March Madness has always been in... well, MARCH!

Clearly these guys were just pulling excuses out of the butts. But what got me is, Bristol is ALWAYS an exciting race to watch - hardly ever a dull moment or lap. Plus the CoT. Plus Juan Montoya. Plus the last race at Bristol before they rip up the track and change it somewhat. Plus, did I mention this was BRISTOL?!

Anyway, it may be that NASCAR ratings are peaking, but it confuses me that one of the more historically exciting races would see that much of a drop.