As we approach the Belgian Grand Prix I cannot but think of Raikkonnen for he will be absent next weekend.

It is a disgrace, and indictment of the sport and says much of f1 today that a driver such as him is not on the grid.

In my view he is the quintessential grand prix driver, the ideal in attitude and belongs as he himself declared, in another era - the 60's or the 70's.

He is the driver with the strongest self-esteem in motor racing - not in need of a kind, sympathetic or emotional team - just give me car and I will race - and to me is a combination of Rindt, Peterson and Lauda.

He would not have agreed to Hockenheim, would not have complained at Silverstone and would have said nothing - perhaps shrugged - if he had been the object of Schumi's attention at Hungaroring.

He would have merely fought, done his best and gone home afterwards.

Kimi in a RB6 would be phenomenal at Spa and would win for the FIFTH time.

He is not suited to the touchy-feely nonsense that eminates these days from too many drivers. How do you "feel" is not a question that the Ice Man would answer from some New Agey type "journalist" - there are too many today of them as well as it appears the overwhelming people who call themselves "fans".

Just look at the screaming amd emotional outbursts that happened after the incidents above.

No matter WHO wins next Sunday, he will not have beaten Kimi Raikonnen at Spa and that is not a complete victory.

A pox on the FIA and the politics of f1