Chassis talk came up in the engine thread but I thought it would be better discussed in it's own thread (again?).

For me personally, this is utterly disappointing but it seems to be the way that NASCAR, errr... I mean the IRL want to go. It's really COT thinking the way I see it.

A strict turbo engine spec with participation from major builders and manufacturers well see pretty close competition, especially as the formula matures (i.e. late nineties CART). Nobody well manage an extra 200 hp. Some well have better years than others but things should be close.

However, bring competing car builders into the arena and this is where things could get messy. Egad... you may not have pack racing! You know... where it doesn't matter how talented you are, Matsushi-ta is going to finish on the same lap as you. Worse yet, something unimaginable might happen, like Penske not qualifying for the Indy 500. Pick the wrong chassis at the start of the year, even if it's stamped LOLA on the bottom, and you could be out to lunch.

And this almost flies in the face of Indy heritage considering the diversity of cars that use to compete with the same engine (Offy).

My greatest hope was for a spec safety cell or a base chassis that allowed freedom in certain areas such as suspension or wings. Hell, you may even end up with a backyard privateer, albeit a rich backyard privateer, winning the big one. Imagine that! And instead of using rear view mirrors, he used rear facing video cameras which displayed on screens inside the cockpit. Now wouldn't that be sweet for the 100th anniversary.