Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
SS9/13 Already cancelled..
reason: reindeer herds.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/rally...e-of-reindeer/
Why am I not surpriced. These are the same gang that held up the process of getting stages approved locally.
Now suddenly they have to move reindeer just under the rally!! Not before and not after, but just under the rally.

My guess is the following; Some of the sami people was not happy in the way they they were treated, or did not agree with the solution that was agreed.
So they trump their solution, to make as much mess as possible.

I worked up north in Norway for 6 years, in the armed forces.
When we were arranging exercises we called infommeetings for the locals, including the sami reindees organisations.

when we gave them the dates, they always complained, and even if we agreed that they should keep the animals out of the ex area in this period, you can be 100% sure some of them moved the animals into the ex area.

After the ex we always got claims from them, that the shooting and sound of tanks and other heavy machinery had some of the best reindeers died from stress. Same every year. In the end some of us wanted to give them the wrong area to see what happened. But we were never given a thumbs up from the boss!

The hardliners in the sami population feels they own the land and water in the whole area up north, and some of the them acts as if this were true.

Often the smartest way is to give them parts of what they want in negotiations, and give them something they can make money from every year. Then you can win them over!