Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WSBK - Official test PI

The WSBK Pirelli test takes place at Phillip Island this coming 8, 9 & 10 of January.

Weather forecast is fine & 24, 28 & 29.

Not 100% sure who is attending the first official test of 2008, but I am confident the heavy hitters will all be in attendance.

I hope to get out there for a look day 1 or 2. On the downside there is no admittance to the circuit so all my spying will be done from outside the fence at Siberia (Gap Road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the sneaky way to get a good look is to take a tour with the motorsport museum there. I can't remeber who it was (maybe on this board) but I heard of someone doing this and they gave a tour through the pits and into the media tower whilst some testing was on.
    Will be interesting to see how the new Honda, Kwak and Ducati fare against the well developed Yamahas and Suzuki's as well as the new boys like Tamada and Checa. Things are looking even stronger (theoretically) for 08 in WSB and I hope this test will give us an indication of that.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Parking service usually have free access back and forth around the track.

Neither me can bear watching a round of the series, witnessing which Ducati would be the fastest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think the Duc's will be the runaway success that so many others are predicting.

This is the year of Yamaha, they have a well sorted bike with two excellent riders (although I still think Corser has run his course). Yamaha have stability from 2007 and proven equipment where most have major changes.

I guess a lot depends on development of new bikes and riders for 08'.

This could be Nori's last 'real' chance at becoming World Champ!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's clearly the new Duc to consider (and for FGSport to evaluate it's competitiveness and adjust it's regs accordingly, as we've heard) and Sterilgarda's setup to look at with Max on board plus the big question mark of how quick the Ten Kate guys - all WSB rookies let's not forget - will be straight out of the bag.

I also think Max Neukirchner could be a dark horse this season, ditto Fonsi Nieto despite his mediocre form last year on the Kawasaki. I'd love Yukio to be up there too but I fear not. Yamaha will be strong after Nori's storming end to 2007.

Kawasaki, as ever, have everything to prove.

And yes, WSB 2008 looks very competitive indeed - a stronger field than 2007 already in theory.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pat, the description above clearly indicates why Yamaha must go in favourites.

Suzuki have the wrong Max on what is a race/championship winning bike. I believe all 3 Suzuki riders do not have the consistency required.

Kawasaki will improve and may even get a round win, but that in itself would be a big achievement.

Honda and Ducati are the sleepers in the pack, new bikes with the talent aboard to ride to victory.

This is one of the reasons bike racing is so interesting, all the predictions are thrown out the window at Q1, round 1.

But there is one thing for sure, we are in for a great season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patnicholls
    I also think Max Neukirchner could be a dark horse this season, ditto Fonsi Nieto despite his mediocre form last year on the Kawasaki. I'd love Yukio to be up there too but I fear not. Yamaha will be strong after Nori's storming end to 2007.
    They say great minds think alike and i too think Neukirchner will be a real threat in 2008, as long as he IS actually given equal machinery to Nieto and Kagayama.

He also needs to work on his consistancy, but that will come naturally with age and experience.

Watch out for the young German is all i'll say, one of my favorite prospects out of any class world wide. Im sure he'll be in MotoGP one day, those Dorna-ites need a new German rider since the controversial departure of one Alex "Hoffmeister" Hoffman.

I also concur with the point that WSBK will be an exciting, strong field next year. I say bring it on! Been watching all the races from 2007 recently since ive just got cable TV (theyre re-playing the seasons races) and it is awesome to see so many bikes firing off the grid and into turn one, in comparison to MotoGP that is.
    I opened up all the windows..the air is cold, the tub is boiling hot..It's like Sweden, man. Sweden!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Day 1

SUPERBIKE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: 1. Bayliss (Aus-Ducati) 1'32"5 (66 laps); 2. Haga (Jap-Yamaha) 1'32"8 (95); 3. Kagayama (Jap-Suzuki) 1'32"9 (70); 4. Nieto (Spa-Suzuki) 1'33"2 (65); 5. Corser (Aus-Yamaha) 1'33"4 (72); 6. Fabrizio (Ita-Ducati) 1'33"4 (77); 7. Biaggi (Ita-Ducati) 1'33"5 (69); 8. Xaus (Spa-Ducati) 1'33"5 (62); 9. Laconi (Fra-Kawasaki) 1'34"0 (70); 10. Neukirchner (Ger-Suzuki) 1'35"5 (85); 11. Tamada (Jap-Kawasaki) 1'35"8 (61).

SUPERSPORT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: 1. Parkes (Aus-Yamaha) 1'35"2; 2. Pitt (Aus-Honda) 1'35"5; 3. Rea (GB-Honda) 1'35"8; 4. Brookes (Aus-Honda) 1'36"3; 5. McCoy (Aus-Triumph) 1'36"4; 6. Foret (Fra-Yamaha) 1'36"6; 7. Fujiwara (Jap-Kawasaki) 1'36"9; 8. Harms (Dan-Honda) 1'37"7

Aaaaaah Winter testing! revised forecast, going to be 41 degrees tomorrow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    41 in Victoria

Crikey thats almost like the weather we have here all the time!!

If only the weather was like that at race time though!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Day 2

1. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.2 secs
    2. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 32.3 secs
    3. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.4 secs
    4. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.6 secs
    =5. Troy Corser AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.7 secs
    =5. Ruben Xaus SPA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.7 secs
    7. Max Biaggi ITA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.9 secs
    =8. Fonsi Nieto SPA Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 33.0 secs
    =8. Regis Laconi ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 33.0 secs
    10. Makoto Tamada JPN PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 35.5 secs
    Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 no time

Fastest day one time:
    Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati 1min 32.5secs

Official Phillip Island WSBK lap records:
    Superpole: Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati1min 32.145secs (2007)
    Fastest lap: Troy Corser AUS Yamaha 1min 31.826secs (2007)

WSS test times - Wednesday.

1. Broc Parkes AUS Yamaha WSSP Team YZF-R6 1min 34.8 secs
    2. Jonathan Rea GBR Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR600RR 1min 35.0 secs
    3. Andrew Pitt AUS Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR600RR 1min 35.3 secs
    4. Josh Brookes AUS Stiggy Motorsport CBR600RR 1min 35.8 secs
    =5. Chris Walker GBR Gil Motorsport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1min 36.0 secs
    =5. Fabien Foret FRA Yamaha WSSP Team YZF-R6 1min 36.0 secs
    7. Garry McCoy AUS Triumph - SC 675 1min 36.2 secs
    8. Katsuaki Fujiwara JPN Gil Motorsport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1min 36.7 secs
    9. Robbin Harms DEN Stiggy Motorsport CBR600RR 1min 37.0 secs