Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Non TC MOre Dangerous?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63971

OK. Has this guy got a point? WHat did the F1 drivers do when they had 1000 plus horsepower in the wet? (and engines that had acceleration like an on/off switch). Have drivers testes shrunk recently? :

These guys are paid gazillions to drive, should they not just shut up and drive, otherwise they know where the door is.........

Tsk.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Formula one cars should be difficult to drive. They are not Ford Fiesta's
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    They were pampered to much lately.

For sure there will be more DNFs in difficult track conditions, but as we saw this season, life threatening accidents don't happen often and when happen it's usually for cars making contact not because of lack of TC.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    It should be a question of skill, and always thought throttle control was a very important part of the skill.

otherwise they just need to go full electronic and leave the driver in the pits at a computer to drive by radio control with special software to keep him from turning the wheel too quckly to eliminate all those spins.....

Of course, this would lead to the development of special computer programs and electronics to eliminate the driver even from the pits......instead of a WDC for 2009, we could replace it with a "World Programmer/engineer Championship"

May the best nerd win!!!
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, they should not shut up and drive as they are the ones putting their life in risk, but I don't really think that there is any proof that the car with TC is less life threating that one wthout them.
    I beleive that life threating accidents normally happen at high speeds, while TC is mostly usefull in low and medium speeds. I don't think that Kubica's accident could had been worse without TC just to name the last very big crash. I also think that the increase in errors they all claim won't be that much.
    About the era of the 1000 HP, times change and a direct comparison is difficult to make, as power is just one part of the package.
    Take the pedal to the metal

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Has this guy got a point?
    I don't think so. I agree with Mark, ioan and markabilly. Perish the thought that drivers now have to control the throttle themselves If drivers are good because they've had TC to help them out then they'd best find another job.

Riccardo Patrese was quite clear on the subject:
    "From the point of view of the pleasure of driving I think traction control is rubbish because it takes feeling away from the driver - from the point of view of sliding, controlling the power, steering with the throttle. All the electronics make driving the car too easy."
    These are supposed to be the best drivers in the world. Thankfully, without TC we have more of a chance of seeing their skill
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    WHat did the F1 drivers do when they had 1000 plus horsepower in the wet? (and engines that had acceleration like an on/off switch).

I can remember going to see the qualifying several times at Silverstone in the days of the old 12 lap qualifying format. In those days the teams used qualifying engines which just about held together for 12 laps, and qualifying tyres which also just about held up for the 12 laps. The cars looked truly scary when the drivers floored it as they were coming onto the pit straight and the back end would try to catch up with the pointy end! Especially with some drivers whose qualifying technique seemed to be to knowingly enter corners too fast, and then worry about sorting it out afterwards.

Regards

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm - donuts
    I can remember going to see the qualifying several times at Silverstone in the days of the old 12 lap qualifying format. In those days the teams used qualifying engines which just about held together for 12 laps, and qualifying tyres which also just about held up for the 12 laps. The cars looked truly scary when the drivers floored it as they were coming onto the pit straight and the back end would try to catch up with the pointy end! Especially with some drivers whose qualifying technique seemed to be to knowingly enter corners too fast, and then worry about sorting it out afterwards.

Regards
    Ah, those were the days eh? Ayrton deliberately crashing on his last qually lap at Magny Cours because he knew to do so was the quickest way.........
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm - donuts
    In those days the teams used qualifying engines which just about held together for 12 laps, and qualifying tyres which also just about held up for the 12 laps.
    I beg your pardon, those tires were only used for maximum 4 laps!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I beg your pardon, those tires were only used for maximum 4 laps!
    Time was Q-tyres would only last a lap No pressure then!
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993